• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne - 20 Year Anniversary

I remember seeing the commercials and reading PC magazines about this game back in the day. Gameplay and visual marvel. I didn't have a gaming PC back then so it always felt like a owning a computer that could run that was like owning a Ferrari. Eventually played it (and sequel) on the original Xbox. Classic.

Lucky8BB

Banned
A1XxW5T.jpg
LIExmWk.jpg
RnxxZzz.jpg
gjcBIww.jpg
5Ud0m50.jpg

When I saw these Max Payne screenshots in the magazines I already knew it will be one of my favorite games :). Graphics was extremely impressive back then, especially character faces looked like real. It was very demanding game, but I was still amazed with atmosphere and innovative gameplay. Soon I even upgraded my PC just to play max payne at max settings (my athlon 1.2GHz + geforce 3 run max payne at 1024x768 with around 40fps).

Xbox version was also very good, although aiming on gamepad was more difficult (BTW. Cbxreloaded can emulate xbox port perfectly on PC).

YCoCg

And after MP... they made Control. I think the devs were somehow got replaced.
Different influence, Max Payne was inspired by Hong Kong action movies mixed in with a splash of neo-noir. Alan Wake was Twin Peaks inspired. Control is SCP inspired. They'll all play differently due to their influence. I know it kinda sucks if you're constantly expecting a Max Payne game under a different name but Remedy have been pretty clear about the style differences and influences of their titles.

WitchHunter

Different influence, Max Payne was inspired by Hong Kong action movies mixed in with a splash of neo-noir. Alan Wake was Twin Peaks inspired. Control is SCP inspired. They'll all play differently due to their influence. I know it kinda sucks if you're constantly expecting a Max Payne game under a different name but Remedy have been pretty clear about the style differences and influences of their titles.
What is SCP? You are assuming something that has zero merit. I want proper games, that's all.

YCoCg

What is SCP?

You are assuming something that has zero merit. I want proper games, that's all.
How am I assuming? You clearly prefer the style of Max Payne which was heavily influenced from the action style heavy genre of Hong Kong movies, the era of John Woo films, etc. That's something that's not appeared in their other games as they've used different styled influences.

WitchHunter

How am I assuming? You clearly prefer the style of Max Payne which was heavily influenced from the action style heavy genre of Hong Kong movies, the era of John Woo films, etc. That's something that's not appeared in their other games as they've used different styled influences.
Ok, Mr. Seer. They try hard with other "subgenres", but the result so far is below average. I don't care if their new game is about a frog with a big dick, if it has proper atmosphere.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Game Evolution Presents: Max Payne Game Evolution. This video shows the Hisory of the series from 2001 to 2021 including the GBA game and Xbox Series X enhanced version of Max Payne 3.

0:06 Max Payne (2001) PS2, XBOX, PC
0:31 Max Payne (2002) GBA
0:54 Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne (2003) PS2, XBOX, PC
1:19 Max Payne 3 (2012) XBOX 360, PS3, PC
1:43 Max Payne 3 (2021) Xbox Series X

Max Payne is a neo-noir third-person shooter video game series developed by Remedy Entertainment (Max Payne and Max Payne 2) and Rockstar Studios (Max Payne 3).

Loved the first 2 games so much. The first had that half life crunchy chunkiness to it. 2nd added ragdoll and I was in heaven. I'm in the minority and 3 was fine, I hated constantly getting interrupted.

Banned
Are the max payne games good?
in what ways are they fun?

are the PC ports the best versions?

1: PC is best for sure, followed by Xbox... and don't ever touch the PS2 versions, not even the PS4 emulated version.
2: they are really fun, especially Max Payne 2, MP1 shows its age and shows that it was their first try, but it's still good... and MP3 is more modern (cover system...) but also super stylish and a great shooter.

What I like about them, and what gives them a lot of replay value for me, is trying to finish every level in the most stylish way possible...
also MODS... I used to play Max Payne 1 with a "The One" mod that gave Max some crazy jumps and moves inspired by the movie The One. (and every time you turned on bullet-time it played Down with the Sickness by Disturbed)

There's also an Equilibrium mod I think and a Matrix mod

Last edited:

Knightime_X

1: PC is best for sure, followed by Xbox... and don't ever touch the PS2 versions, not even the PS4 emulated version.
2: they are really fun, especially Max Payne 2, MP1 shows its age and shows that it was their first try, but it's still good... and MP3 is more modern (cover system...) but also super stylish and a great shooter.

What I like about them, and what gives them a lot of replay value for me, is trying to finish every level in the most stylish way possible...
also MODS... I used to play Max Payne 1 with a "The One" mod that gave Max some crazy jumps and moves inspired by the movie The One.

There's also an Equilibrium mod I think and a Matrix mod
Do you know if Max Payne 1 and 2 for Xbox are 60fps on Series X?
I have MP3 on my steam wishlist.

Banned
Do you know if Max Payne 1 and 2 for Xbox are 60fps on Series X?
I have MP3 on my steam wishlist.

I know that Max Payne 2 had no 30fps lock on Xbox, so that should run at 60fps... not sure about Max Payne 1, never played the XBox version of that (or maybe I did a long time ago and can't remember...)

edit: just looked up a YT video, and yeah MP1 is also 60fps

Last edited:
i just bought Max Payne 1 on steam the other day , it's loaded with issues , no sound , troble loading , i tried a patch and the game wasnt loading at all , i asked for a refund

Banned
i just bought Max Payne 1 on steam the other day , it's loaded with issues , no sound , troble loading , i tried a patch and the game wasnt loading at all , i asked for a refund

I heard that some have issues, did you look for fixes on PC Gaming Wiki? Usually that's the easiest way to find fixes for old titles on modern machines

Catphish

Loved that game. I was living in Florida at the time, and I vividly recall the blizzard and snow being so well done that it had me longing for sweet home Chicago.

Would love a remaster 👍

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Max Payne 1 and 2 are amazing, highly recommended.

Max Payne 3 was done by different people and just became a generic, boring by-the-books FPS without anything that made Max Payne Max Payne to begin with. Not a terrible game per se, but utterly disappointing in the context.

ShadowNate

My first thought when looking at Sam Lake is still that's Max Payne. After all these years, and two sequels that used an entirely different actor model.

Orta

Banned

Google and install these, fixes/improves all issues...

MaxPayneSoundPatchv1.12
MPRemastered1.3 (660mb)
PhotorealisticMaxPayne

Paasei

Grove Street making a trilogy definitive edition in celebration, this gonna be gud.

Joking aside, though. This is one of the first games that introduced me personally to how great mods could be for a game. I still have fond memories of a Matrix mod with that huge weapon room from the first movie.

Last edited:

Filben

Max Payne 3 had some real badass moments but MP1 and 2 is the shit. I love the deliberate cheesy writing, dialogues and one-liners. The atmosphere, the story, locations... fucking a. I love how simple and reduced but straightforward the gameplay of Remedy's games is. I hope we will see someday something from Remedy similar to Max Payne. Cannot count how many fucking times I've finished MP1 and 2.

Top Bottom