• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 rules

Dacon

Banned
After reading through some of this thread I have decided to reinstall Max Payne 3 on PC.

Don't forget to install the cutscene skip mod.

I'm one of those rare(it seems) fans who loved all of the Max Payne games, 3 really was fantastic.

Lengthy campaign, good shooting and awesome moody music. The only thing I could complain about is how the Brazil setting lacks the charm of NYC, but thankfully there's flashback scenes for that.

Z8ztbXy.jpg

But really, it sucks that this was never made backwards compatible with Xbox, let alone a remaster for the newer systems. Even if all they did was finally give you the option to skip cutscenes, I’d pay 60 all over again like a Nintendo fan.

This is still the best third person shooter ever made in my opinion (and it hasn’t been topped since its 2012 release). It’s the most raw, trimmed fat work by Rockstar and I would love for them to take another shot at it.

The soundtrack is still unparalleled and it’s still HEALTHs best work. I’m not posting Tears you fuckers, but I’ll share some new HEALTH instead.

I could totally shoot up DeMarco’s goons to this when I return to Jersey in Max Payne 4.

It was at my worst that I was at my best.”

Game fucking rules like O’Doyle.

I agree, and I'll go as far as to say it destroys the first two in basically every single way.

*ducks*

Digity

Don't forget to install the cutscene skip mod.

I'm one of those rare(it seems) fans who loved all of the Max Payne games, 3 really was fantastic.

Lengthy campaign, good shooting and awesome moody music. The only thing I could complain about is how the Brazil setting lacks the charm of NYC, but thankfully there's flashback scenes for that.
That's a thing? Please steer me in the correct direction.

Dacon

Banned

ShadowNate

I quite liked the game, but it was not nearly as fun as Max Payne 1 and 2 were; the first one is still my favorite.

What I did not like with the third one:
- At the time of my PC playthrough, there was a bug whereby Max would randomly get stuck in cover and the controls pretty much stopped responding; this bug was fixed after a few months, but it was really annoying.
- The overused white flash effect they were using for Max's dizziness. I wish there was an option to disable that one. My eyes hated it.
- The game was encouraging exploration to find collectibles (good because the level design was great) but at the same time it had permanent "exit" points from an area that were not apparent. It made for exploration unnecessarily stressful.

dDoc

I really don't either. I remember hearing that some people really hated the random story telling that involved the screen breaking down Into a comic book like screen, which was clearly a hybrid approach that called back to the first two games, but I really thought it was neat.

I wasnt especially fond of the all too frequent cut scenes and story telling. Broke up the action too much. Still a good game.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Wish there was a mod on pc that allowed to skip movies which are 70% of the game. And wish there was a way to disable crazy video effects

Abear21

Banned
The boat sequence towards the end of the game was iconic. It reminded me of the arcade shooters of old and I loved it, too bad framerate was a slide show on PS3. I need to replay this game properly some day.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
wh5Hat3.jpg

The best was the 1st.
I've replied both january this year... ON A CRT 1024x768 120hz.
1st one starts great but goes down halfway and changed into quick save, quick load galore just as I remember when first playing it. It's very frustrating.
Max Payne 2 on the other hand is incredible. The pacing flows and the game is sweet and short
EwDfmf0.jpg

Last edited:

junguler

Banned
the story just didn't do it for me, everything else was awesome tho. i still think this game had the best third person shooting ever, i always love games that treat pistols/handguns with the respect they deserve.

sircaw

Banned
ok game, found it extremely boring and repetitive by the end,

A chore to complete, a little bit like watching John wick sequels.

GymWolf

i mean, it's just the best tps from last gen and one of the best ever, no biggie...

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

sircaw

Banned
I believe that you are looking at this the wrong way. You are who is extremely boring. Good day to you sir.

Oo ouch, yer sorry, I am not into repetitive mindless garbage, if that's your style, then good for you sunshine.

have good day day too. :messenger_grinning: :messenger_sunglasses::messenger_sunglasses:

Sentenza

It was mechanically a GREAT third person shooter, brought down by the over-abundance of constant pace-killing cutscenes every few seconds and few sections that dragged too much for their own good.

Last edited:

raduque

I started it years ago, but it wasn't comic-book-noir enough for me to finish it right away. I still have intent to finish it some day.

iorek21

It has the best portrayal of Brazil in any game, I’m very happy with it.

Though they made Sao Paulo too much like Rio de Janeiro for my tastes

Reactions: Isa

GriffinCorp

Thanks OP- you made me want to play the game. Just ordered a copy from eBay. The music and gifs others have posted of this game, looks and sounds awesome. I kind of feel bad for missing out on it. I never thought in 2020 I would still find a PS3 game I wanted to purchase.

Kuranghi

I grew up on Max Payne 1 & 2 but I think I prefer the Michael Mann-esque (Like basically every Rockstar story) story and dialogue in Max Payne 3. It felt like a movie instead of a graphic novel/comic book which was a natural evolution for me because I was a teenager of 15-18 years old for the first two games and 27 years old for Max Payne 3.

I'd really need to go back and play them all together to make a fair judgement on what I prefer the most but the gunplay, physics and set pieces are so amazing in 3, which will probably clinch it as the best anyway.

If you don't like the story/dialogue of 3 over the first two then go and watch "Thief" + "Heat" (Michael Mann) and "To Live & Die in L.A." and "The French Connection" (William Friedkin) to see what they were going for.

carlosrox

Banned
Some examples of why I love this game so much.

The way the enemies talk to you in this part.

So angry, so demeaning. God I love this so much. I understand what they're saying in this level so it makes it even sweeter. They aren't saying nice things to you. They're calling you a
faggot
, a son of a bitch, a piece of shit, and a white boy (more or less) among other things...But it's not what they're saying as much as HOW they're saying it. They're insulting Max in such a degrading, angry tone.

Max Payne was just a regular family man. He can't relate to this at all. I love the entire fish out of water aspect to 3. So well done. And the music in the cut scene is fire. "I felt dumb and exposed". Beautiful!

First level in Old School Mode. The depressing music when you get the first shotgun and the parking garage is hauntingly beautiful.

Gaming nirvana.

Last edited:

Thanks for posting this, it reminded me how completely devoid of personality or originality this game was since I suffered through it years ago.

Atmosphere and writing are cringe, try hard Man On Fire in videogame form with Houser brother shit characters sprinkled in. A huge downgrade from Max 1 and 2's film noir, detective stories with a hint of mind bending Twin Peaks esque elements.

As for the gameplay, it can be good from time to time but its undone but the whole package. Over reliance on cover shooting, horrible control setup like every other rockstar game. Seriously, how the fuck you manage to make a Max Payne game with convoluted controls?

Then there's the constant interruption of the action every 5 seconds to watch the Housers shitty writing shoved down your throat just to be forced into a shitty cinematic action moment which swaps out your loadout and makes you immediately orient yourself in a nearly unwinnable slomo piece you have to play out 3-4 times before you figure out what the game wanted you to do to beat it.

Best Max Payne, my big black ass*.

* Figure of speech - Ass may or may not be big or black

carlosrox

Banned
completely devoid of personality

lol every single inch of this game is fully realized. You can say the game itself isn't original if you must, but devoid of personality it is not.

Atmosphere and writing are cringe

lol while I disagree completely on the writing, I can at least entertain the idea that it's "cringe".

But THE ATMOSPHERE IS BAD???

WHAT DID YOU SMOKE BEFORE POSTING THAT?

You call this "Houser writing" yet this is written nothing like GTA5. If you want cringe writing I'll give you GTA5 but not this. This was very well done.

I like how you call it tryhard when the entire series has been this way since the first. I mean, the game is called fucking MAX PAYNE. It's supposed to be "tryhard". Do you not think the noir stuff in the first wasn't overdone? Cuz it was, intentionally so.

Last edited:

HE1NZ

Banned
Max Payne 3 was really excellent, but the ending wasn't very satisfying so I wish they'd close the story in Max Payne 4.

holdmouseone

Neo Member
The thing I dislike about this game most is that STUPID digital effect they constantly used in cutscenes. I don’t think they should have tried to force the comic book style cutscenes as it felt like they were there just because of past entries.

And the story kind of falls off past like... the stealth mission during the boat sequence. Couldn’t bring myself to care about the story (though to be honest I don’t think 1 & 2’s story are amazing, I think the presentation of the story by Max carries them).

Loved the gameplay though. Most missions were fun as hell, it had a great physics engine, the music was great and those set pieces during the missions were intense.

Except for that building one 😒

Gp1

I've tried to replay not so long ago. The gameplay, setting, the attention to details, and the soundtrack are awesome. But the cutscene thing really fucks up the experience.

I love how Max carry the weapon that you are not using in his offhand. And that airport level is one of the best experience of the gen.

Ps. SP looks more like a distopian 80's version of NY brought to present value. With rain, dirt and traffic.
Rio is more like Baghdad with g-strings.

Last edited:
Top Bottom