• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 rules

gow3isben

Max Payne 3 the GOAT shooter baby! So underrated and its bizarre feedback is one of the reasons people only do stupid open world games or “wide-linear” games. There is something irreplaceable about a tight, hand-crafted experience.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
How this game kept kicking Max Payne while he was already down was so depressing in the best way possible.

I've had to deal with unexplainable depression throughout my life here and there so it's kind of a love/hate relationship with depressing feelings.

It feels cathartic. One of the most depressing games ever made but it manages to feel beautiful at the same time.

I didn't like the end the first time but I later learned to absolutely love it.

As far as we know, Max Payne's story ends with "boy it's dark in some places but it's sunny everywhere else" as Max glances over at the sun before a cut to black.

Absolutely perfect. I almost don't want there to be a 4 cuz 3 is a tough act to follow and I feel Max can't really be put through much more.

However I would love to get a true Old Man Max story, with improved mechanics such as destructible cover, and perhaps even vehicles. Can you imagine doing a bullet time car kill?? I can see in my head how it would look, with next gen tech no less.

I dunno what kinda delusion people suffer when they shit talk this game.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this, it reminded me how completely devoid of personality or originality this game was since I suffered through it years ago.

Atmosphere and writing are cringe, try hard Man On Fire in videogame form with Houser brother shit characters sprinkled in. A huge downgrade from Max 1 and 2's film noir, detective stories with a hint of mind bending Twin Peaks esque elements.

As for the gameplay, it can be good from time to time but its undone but the whole package. Over reliance on cover shooting, horrible control setup like every other rockstar game. Seriously, how the fuck you manage to make a Max Payne game with convoluted controls?

Then there's the constant interruption of the action every 5 seconds to watch the Housers shitty writing shoved down your throat just to be forced into a shitty cinematic action moment which swaps out your loadout and makes you immediately orient yourself in a nearly unwinnable slomo piece you have to play out 3-4 times before you figure out what the game wanted you to do to beat it.

Best Max Payne, my big black ass*.

* Figure of speech - Ass may or may not be big or black

tbt.gif

Tschumi

This was one of the games i got on my 360 (didn't own that very long before selling it, but then again i also sold my ps3 pretty quickly at that time, shortly after being mgs4), i was very excited about it... But it didn't grab me and i don't think i got out of the tutorial mission before moving back to FIFA or something.

I think, and this is just a guess, but i have a feeling that any attempt by a game to create a wet and wild, pumpin' nightclub is going to turn me off, hugely.

That said, i trust Cyberpunk.

carlosrox

Banned
This was one of the games i got on my 360 (didn't own that very long before selling it, but then again i also sold my ps3 pretty quickly at that time, shortly after being mgs4), i was very excited about it... But it didn't grab me and i don't think i got out of the tutorial mission before moving back to FIFA or something.

I think, and this is just a guess, but i have a feeling that any attempt by a game to create a wet and wild, pumpin' nightclub is going to turn me off, hugely.

That said, i trust Cyberpunk.

You played FIFA...over Max Payne 3?

Dead to me.

No sports games in a million years could ever hope to touch this. The music perfectly encapsulates Max' depressing as fuck life.

Killing men has been in Max' life so long, he can't remember anything else.

Max doesn't die.

Max doesn't wanna live, but he's not willing to just lay down and die.

GOD I love Max Payne, and 3 was the one that really pushed my love over the edge, and I was already gaga over 2.

Bonus. 2 cross media references. Also rather depressing stories!

Last edited:

YCoCg

Did anyone check out the prequel comic for the game? It bridges the gap between Max Payne 2 and 3 (and even covers some of the New Jersey stuff from the game), I still have the PDF's stored.

Isa

Gold Member
I agree, it was radical! The story had me hooked from the first second. I just connected with Max on such a personal level, the depressing state of things just hit with me. I feel empathetic towards him, the loss, the substance abuse, trying to still survive in a harsh and uncaring world. Plus I love seeing the many countries and cultures of the world, and Brazil is an incredible place. I actually enjoy the diversion from the norm in terms of the setting and storytelling techniques. Plus when we were in NY it still felt appropriate. Pain is still in occasional rotation.

But the multiplayer man. It was Tubular! One of those few games I could just dominate at, it was serious fun. Not denying other players made me work for it at times. I loved all the dlc and being able to customize our characters, I'd always play some hot lady and kick ass. I actually bought a couple of Keffiyehs and still get compliments 7-8 years later. I really miss it, but at least I can look back fondly on the memories. I still have my PS3 copy and avatars.

Dacon

Banned
Do you not think the noir stuff in the first wasn't overdone? Cuz it was, intentionally so.

The first game actually includes an ingame joke about how over the top the Max's inner monologue is.
I love the cutscenes so watching em is never a problem for me.

For me they're a part of the experience.

I love the cutscenes too but they get to be kind of annoying when youre just trying to relax and shoot fools but the game won't let you get to the point.

The best was the 1st.

I disagree, the first definitely has the best and most epic story imo, but the gameplay just gets wrecked the longer you play. The combat suffers from terrible amounts of randomness, enemies surviving 4 shots to the head, 2 point blank shotgun blasts to the chest, your bullets missing for no apparent reason, it all just adds up to constant frustration in the in the last half of the game.

I wonder if there are any mods to fix that.

carlosrox

Banned
Max Payne is a PERFECT disaster. :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Max doesn't seek adventure, adventure seeks him! (A dark, depressing adventure but still one!)

Picked up a game I had started recently. I'm always replaying this game. Masterpiece.
Are you joking with the fucking tone and music?

The game is so depressing it's almost disgusting, and I love it.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
I love the cutscenes too but they get to be kind of annoying when youre just trying to relax and shoot fools but the game won't let you get to the point.

I've gotten that feeling a few times but when I'm playing this game I always feel like I wanna take my time with it and get into it.

Playing it as we speak! JERSEY.

"Or how you got involved with killers!". They're talking about MONA and VLAD! Fangasm every reference they make to 1 and 2.

"The House of Punchinello." Hearing him say that is :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Oh yeah I've been having cutscene glitches since I installed on this new PC btw...that sucks. The sound goes and goes out and freezes n stuff. Never did this before. Now just the music is playing. And I love this cutscene too ugh.

Or the game is frozen.. this never happened before either.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
IutNC0L.jpg

This was my Facebook banner back in the day

I needed a [REAL DRINK] to deal with the [ELECTRONIC MUSIC] and the [ROBOTIC PEOPLE]

Gonna day one better and say the first two games ain't great, cover mechanics in MP3? Half the time in the old games you're hugging walls so.

carlosrox

Banned
The Brewer part is so disgustingly dark. The way Max reacts to being saved by Brewer at the last second. Then the fucking explosion, and Max"s reaction.

:messenger_smiling_hearts:

PapyDoc

This game could be a great 21/20 if only it didn't try to mix cover shooter and the gameplay of MP. Sometimes the game feels slow and unresponsive, some level didn't shine too when it comes to a gunfight, too many closed corridors, you can't rushed or even prioritize target like the 2 prior games was asked you to do.
But without this, goddamn, the music, the visuals, the acting, the feeling of the weapon, the final chapter of max's story still blown away some games today.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
The cinematics get funky with the final kill in an encounter sometimes.

I wonder how it works.

You can also hear different dialogue and stuff sometimes.

There's a ton of stuff. I doubt I've heard it all.

Max can't relate to all the music in the game!!
:messenger_smiling_hearts:

The entire game is "Rockstar art" come to life! It's a virtual Rockstar simulator starring Max Payne hahaha!!

"She wanted to be hot and dangerous."

Oh man the music in this game is nonstop awesome. MP3 has a beautiful soundscape!

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I want to live on a island with you guys and play Max Payne 3 forever, #MaxPayne3IslandBuds. No homo. For the first year at least.

I fucking love the musical sting at the end of the game when Max is on the <spoiler>, super sweet ending for me. I loved it.

If anyone here is in the UK I demand they come round to my house and see Max Payne 3 in 4K60 on my ZD9 TV, its like you're a part of Max's depression and loss. Feels great.

HotPocket69

Banned
Yeah the hotel chapter was fantastic. One of my favs easily.

The rooftop confrontation with Neves is pure John McClane.

There is a lot of Die Hard in this game.

Last edited:
Max Payne 3 was under-rated. The gameplay was solid and that soundtrack was god like! Considering the game out towards end of 7th gen consoles. It's criminal that it wasn't remastered or released via BC. Since everyone is posting their favourite songs from the game. This has to be my ultimate go to. Makes me feel stealthy and slipping out unnoticed... While grocery shopping.

Tazzu

Worst part about Max Payne 3 aren't the haters but actually thinking that it would become BC. Every couple of weeks it would seem it is iminent but it never came nor did we get a remaster.

Winchester

I can't think of any other game other than MP3 that gives me Jekyll and Hyde syndrome. I really struggle with how I feel on this one.

Even though it's not my overall favorite of the three titles, I've sunk the most hours into this one because of the game play alone. The one thing that R* did right was kill it on the gun play and the mechanics. Best in the series, hands down. It's an absolute pleasure to play. I'd consider it the best TPS out there that's still unmatched.

That said, I've still got a lot of problems with the game. It's so vastly different than what Remedy put out and that puts a bad taste in my mouth. I much prefer Remedy's take on the franchise because this game doesn't feel like a MP game to me. R* Max Payne is too "Man on Fire: The Game™, starring John McClane". If you took out James McCaffrey's voice and the bullet time, would you recognize this as Max Payne? You wouldn't. Completely different setting. Some dark, weird organ theft plot. Bald Max with beard. Max's monologues basically amount to, "Everything sucks, everyone sucks, I need a drink, FML."

Max is way more nihilistic in this game. I understand the reasoning for it but it's off the charts here. The game is full on depressing. That's weird to say considering the first game revolved around the murder of his wife, daughter, and Alex but I never got a "depressing" feel for it. And even in the first game, Max didn't sound like a drunk schlump that wanted to off himself. It was a revenge plot with Max being a man on a mission. And it was counterbalanced by some campiness and lighthearted humor (The John Woo password exchange in the first game or Gognitti running around as Captain Baseball Bat Boy in the second is still hilarious to me). Then you had things like Address Unknown, Lords and Ladies, and The Adventures of Captain Baseball Bat Boy running on the tvs in the background. And I know a lot of people complain about them, but I always loved the nightmare sequences in the first two games. None of that stuff is in the third game.

I don't know. To me, Remedy's storytelling and dialogue is far superior to R*. Sam Lake put thought into the script and it flowed much better. Houser just looks like he's trying to emulate Lake and add some edginess to it. Doesn't work for me. The plot completely sucks. I really didn't care about anything story-wise. Wasn't invested in the least. I didn't care about any of the characters or what happened to them. They were all terrible people.

The music made it feel different as well. As cool as the Health soundtrack is, doesn't feel like MP to me. And you can most likely thank the addition of that soundtrack as the reason we didn't get BC for this game.

Besides all that, I've got the same common complaints as others: Unskippable cutscenes, seizure inducing "drunk vision", forced cover use in a lot of spots, forced cinematic sequences, etc.

I've said this before but if they could take the engine/mechanics of MP3 and apply that to the first two games, that would be the pinnacle.

Ok. Gonna go play Max Payne 3 now.

Dr.Morris79

I can't think of any other game other than MP3 that gives me Jekyll and Hyde syndrome. I really struggle with how I feel on this one.

Even though it's not my overall favorite of the three titles, I've sunk the most hours into this one because of the game play alone. The one thing that R* did right was kill it on the gun play and the mechanics. Best in the series, hands down. It's an absolute pleasure to play. I'd consider it the best TPS out there that's still unmatched.

That said, I've still got a lot of problems with the game. It's so vastly different than what Remedy put out and that puts a bad taste in my mouth. I much prefer Remedy's take on the franchise because this game doesn't feel like a MP game to me. R* Max Payne is too "Man on Fire: The Game™, starring John McClane". If you took out James McCaffrey's voice and the bullet time, would you recognize this as Max Payne? You wouldn't. Completely different setting. Some dark, weird organ theft plot. Bald Max with beard. Max's monologues basically amount to, "Everything sucks, everyone sucks, I need a drink, FML."

Max is way more nihilistic in this game. I understand the reasoning for it but it's off the charts here. The game is full on depressing. That's weird to say considering the first game revolved around the murder of his wife, daughter, and Alex but I never got a "depressing" feel for it. And even in the first game, Max didn't sound like a drunk schlump that wanted to off himself. It was a revenge plot with Max being a man on a mission. And it was counterbalanced by some campiness and lighthearted humor (The John Woo password exchange in the first game or Gognitti running around as Captain Baseball Bat Boy in the second is still hilarious to me). Then you had things like Address Unknown, Lords and Ladies, and The Adventures of Captain Baseball Bat Boy running on the tvs in the background. And I know a lot of people complain about them, but I always loved the nightmare sequences in the first two games. None of that stuff is in the third game.

I don't know. To me, Remedy's storytelling and dialogue is far superior to R*. Sam Lake put thought into the script and it flowed much better. Houser just looks like he's trying to emulate Lake and add some edginess to it. Doesn't work for me. The plot completely sucks. I really didn't care about anything story-wise. Wasn't invested in the least. I didn't care about any of the characters or what happened to them. They were all terrible people.

The music made it feel different as well. As cool as the Health soundtrack is, doesn't feel like MP to me. And you can most likely thank the addition of that soundtrack as the reason we didn't get BC for this game.

Besides all that, I've got the same common complaints as others: Unskippable cutscenes, seizure inducing "drunk vision", forced cover use in a lot of spots, forced cinematic sequences, etc.

I've said this before but if they could take the engine/mechanics of MP3 and apply that to the first two games, that would be the pinnacle.

Ok. Gonna go play Max Payne 3 now.
People complained about the tv shows in the game? Why would they do that? Some of the best parts of the game..

My biggest gripe was the levels towards the end.

It became a shooting gallery and I had to spend more time in cover than shooting my guns while diving in slow motion.

Other than that, fantastic game.

But that ending was shit.

Winchester

People complained about the tv shows in the game? Why would they do that? Some of the best parts of the game..
Nah. I'm talking about the dream sequences where you're playing tightrope on the blood trails and have to listen to the baby crying non-stop. People hated that.

Antwix

- The overused white flash effect they were using for Max's dizziness. I wish there was an option to disable that one. My eyes hated it.
This 100%. I couldn't help but get a headache every time I played it. Wasn't the best shooter I played, but I did enjoy it aside from the headache-inducing lighting effects.

YCoCg

Captain Baseball Bat Boy ☺️

Still disappointed they never released that multiplayer mode, they had a joke style MP characters and one of them was Captain Baseball Bat Boy, only thing left behind us the audio for these characters shouting MP stuff.

Nymphae

Banned
Nah. I'm talking about the dream sequences where you're playing tightrope on the blood trails and have to listen to the baby crying non-stop. People hated that.

I used to be able to just run through that entire thing no mistakes, including the hallway maze at the end. I played way too much Max Payne back in the day.

Quasicat

This is one of those games that I hope gets brought onto the Xbox BC list once the BC team is back into it full time. Didn’t they say that they were going to come back once they finished up the Series X work? I imagine that this is why the OG and 360 games keep getting updated...for more compatibility.

HotPocket69

Banned
This is one of those games that I hope gets brought onto the Xbox BC list once the BC team is back into it full time. Didn’t they say that they were going to come back once they finished up the Series X work? I imagine that this is why the OG and 360 games keep getting updated...for more compatibility.

It’s something else. Maybe related to music licensing. Who knows. It’s just crazy that Bully, RDR, GTA4, LA Noire, The Warriors, and Manhunt are all available. What about Table Tennis? Is that BC?

Quasicat

It’s something else. Maybe related to music licensing. Who knows. It’s just crazy that Bully, RDR, GTA4, LA Noire, The Warriors, and Manhunt are all available. What about Table Tennis? Is that BC?
Yep, I have table tennis on BC. I bought Max Payne 3 on sale years ago and never played it before my 360 died. Now that most of my library is BC, I don’t plan to get another 360. Here’s hoping they figure out the licensing someday.

Banned
But really, it sucks that this was never made backwards compatible with Xbox, let alone a remaster for the newer systems. Even if all they did was finally give you the option to skip cutscenes, I’d pay 60 all over again like a Nintendo fan.

well technically you can skip cutscenes, the real issue is the way the game loads assets.
because the cutscenes are in-engine, the game has to constantly load new assets that are used in the cuscenes. so loading the next level/part and loading in assets that are needed for the cutscene is handled in a way that loading the next gameplay part is on the backburner while the curscene has priority.
so the next level loads extremely slowly which results in you having to usually watch like 80% of the cutscene until you can finally skip.

HotPocket69

Banned
Yep, I have table tennis on BC. I bought Max Payne 3 on sale years ago and never played it before my 360 died. Now that most of my library is BC, I don’t plan to get another 360. Here’s hoping they figure out the licensing someday.

It’s worth grabbing a cheap used 360 just to play it in my HUMBLE opinion 🤓

Edit: Just realized Max Payne 2 isn’t on newer consoles either 😐

Last edited:
I'll Never forget this awful thread...

The OP was a crazy person.

Last edited:

SBRBOUS

Neo Member
Max Payne 3 would be perfect if they changed the city name from São Paulo to Rio de Janeiro, I live in SP and the game seems to be made thinking on RJ, the locations have nothing to do with são paulo.

Nymphae

Banned
Just played through several levels "last night".

In what world is this game not a masterpiece?

I watched 2 minutes of that and I was like start fucking shoot dodging get the fuck out of cover. Some times it's necessary of course but playing MP3 as a standard cover shooter is boring, I liked shootdodging from cover to cover and playing as ballsy as possible.

carlosrox

Banned
I watched 2 minutes of that and I was like start fucking shoot dodging get the fuck out of cover. Some times it's necessary of course but playing MP3 as a standard cover shooter is boring, I liked shootdodging from cover to cover and playing as ballsy as possible.

It's Old School mode and actually the first time I'm actually playing through it on this difficulty.

I've played the game tons of times but I like playing with some semblance of reality. Just running around and bullet timing and jumping around everywhere feels weird to me. Not used to playing the game like that. Plus I find as much as I love this game, it does suffer from a little clunkiness sometimes. Shoot dodging and going in and out of cover could definitely be a bit smoother. No ground executions and slightly inconsistent up close kills also hold it back from being perfect.

I am trying to branch out more now actually, but on Old School Mode it's begging to get killed quickly.

This. Doesn't. Get. Old. I hate that you can't save this guy lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom