• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 rules

HotPocket69

Banned
Wrapping up!

c7o6esD.jpg

carlosrox

Banned
And then you find out she's pregnant....

This game.

-----

And the music is MAGICAL nonstop.

"I wanted that too, a long time ago.

It just didn't work out that way."

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
That voice actor is so great. I really miss the Sam Lake squint face model from the first game though. Yeah it was a little bit of a joke, but he can pull it off for real

pO08oacY.jpeg

That was one of the aspects of 1 I didn't like at first and to this day I still think it kinda cheapens it. I don't miss it.

I don't hate it, but I think it kinds spoils what they're going for. For me 2 and 3 were generally a lot better. But 1 is still great in its own right. And it still has the best version of the theme. Both versions in 1 are the best actually.

And I do respect that it's unique. The Bruce Willis face/thing was good.

------

I'm starting PANAMA again now. My God :messenger_smiling_hearts:

I wish the Panama track lasted longer :( Probably the best track in the game (I think TEARS is overrated, there are better tracks) and they only use it for one short battle.

I love when/how it's used though, it shoulda gone for longer though.

Last edited:

Ristifer

I played through this game one time, five years ago. It actually had a major impact on me and I had an absolute blast with it. But I haven’t played it since.

Guess it’s time to hook up the 360 again.

carlosrox

Banned
So Passos didn't really go to the Academy with Max did he? That was a lie?

The game doesn't really answer that. Not sure if it's meant to be open to interpretation or not. Da Silva sorta implies it wasn't true? Or maybe he's just throwing it out there.

-------

Gonna upload a vid soon of possibly my favorite part of the whole game: Panama.
That music. It's pure magic and speaks to me like nothing else.

-------

I've replayed 2 many times since it came out but it's definitely been a number of years since I last played it. Thanks to the thread I think I will start a game soon. Plus I can record videos of it and I never had that ability before. I look forward to it!

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
carlosrox carlosrox Yeah Passos never knew Max. His backstory to him at the bar was all bullshit. It was just a fucked up way to get close to him in order to easier convince him to work in Brazil.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
I could never figure out how Max felt about Passos in the end. It's also a bit unclear.

His last comment is "nah, not him.." implying he's okay with him and has some respect for him.

If there's a Max Payne 4 I think an easy setup would be to somehow involve Passos, Giovanna, and their kid. I'd love to see more of Passos, he was awesome. Hell I'd even like to play as him.

HotPocket69

Banned
I could never figure out how Max felt about Passos in the end. It's also a bit unclear.

His last comment is "nah, not him.." implying he's okay with him and has some respect for him.

If there's a Max Payne 4 I think an easy setup would be to somehow involve Passos, Giovanna, and their kid. I'd love to see more of Passos, he was awesome. Hell I'd even like to play as him.

I always pictured 4 as a full on Man on Fire with Passos and Giovanna’s kid getting kidnapped by someone and they contact you to help them. And on the way you’d wipe out Demarco and the rest of his boys.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
This part holds a very special place in my heart.

Every time we catch up with Max Payne he is killing men. Max always has to hear the screams of men he's killing/who want to kill him. The way he hangs his head as the soldiers yell before they're about to kill eachother.

It's so perfect.
old-man-crying.gif

I took my time here so I could enjoy the music, I really hate that they made it play for such a short period when it's the best track in the game. I even cut it off a bit at one of my favorite parts with the slomo :(

"SUELTAME GRINGO LOCO!"

I love how this game makes Max Payne look CRAZY! Like he's a MAN ON FIRE! He was an angry ex cop, with a history of violence! You just know they LOVED saying "history of violence" cuz of the movie.

Then you have the start of the Hotel level, which is about the pinnacle of how depressing this game can get. Just abanonded by his best friend, Max is by himself in a total SHIT HOLE. :messenger_heart::messenger_heart::messenger_heart: And the music is absolutely repugnant.
"It wasn't pretty, but I guess none of what was about to happen was gonna be.." :(((((

This game almost went too far with how depressing it is. I wouldn't have forgiven them if Max died at the end of this. I'm so happy he was able to glance over into the sun at the end.

The Panama track was so good and Rockstar knew it that they had to completely throw it into GTA5 as this track.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
This is also one of my very favorite tracks.

Max Payne can't even say goodbye to his dead baby girl and wife without being fucked with :'(

Fucking gunfight over their grave. oldmancrying.gif

One of the most tortured characters in fiction.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
There's only 2 things that really bug me about this game. The loading times/non skippable cutscenes obviously, and the fact that they didn't include a survival mode. 2 had one but it's really nothing special. I would have spent so much fucking time in a survival mode in 3.

carlosrox

Banned
There's only 2 things that really bug me about this game. The loading times/non skippable cutscenes obviously, and the fact that they didn't include a survival mode. 2 had one but it's really nothing special. I would have spent so much fucking time in a survival mode in 3.

Doesn't it have that time trial mode thing in 3? It has something doesn't it???

Or am I just thinking of Old School Mode?
This has slowdown on every kill which I wanna try too.

Crazy how I've never played these modes til now.

Which difficulty is the best/most balanced? I find the last 2 a solid challenge, but super unforgiving. I think you can basically die from chance sometimes. Imagine a permadeath mode.

I think some parts of this game are very, very cheap. Brutally difficult.

I also don't get how this playthrough I killed the armored guys the fastest I EVER have, but I didn't really do anything different. I killed one with like 2 shots somehow, then just earlier today one took like an entire mag. What did I do differently??

Nymphae

Banned
Doesn't it have that time trial mode thing in 3? It has something doesn't it???

Pretty sure it does not have anything besides the main story mode and multiplayer

Edit: My bad, it does have a score attack and New York Minute, both of which are just twists on the main story mode though, no true survival mode type playgrounds like 2 had.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Started playing 2 again for the first time in a while.

It feels so smooth but also kinda weird at the same time.

I forgot how different this really does feel compared to 3. The tone obviously isn't as consistent/serious.

And the difficulty (stuck at the lowest until you finish it, man I forgot about that, that sucks) is soooo much easier.

Maybe I'm used to MP3's hardcore and old school mode now. So much more bullet time lol.

It's charming for sure, and it's unique, but I'll never really see eye to eye with the comedic tone of 1/2. I prefer things to play themselves straight. I am also a self confessed serious tone whore. I like consistency in tone and atmosphere and I generally prefer stuff that takes itself seriously, even if it's too serious.

I don't understand why some people seems to love it.

Read the posts, check out the vids, listen to the music. There's many reasons why.

Last edited:

marquimvfs

Read the posts, check out the vids, listen to the music. There's many reasons why.

I read it, just don't feel the same way. All the points are valid, but the hiperbole or it being "the best Max Paine" is simply false. The first two games are memorable and much better at every aspect, aside from graphics, obviously.

MiguelItUp

I personally really enjoyed the game, and I love that Health did the OST. I actually think it's what got me into Health. I heard "Tears" and immediately loved it.

The airport scene when it kicks in was SO good.

carlosrox

Banned
I heard "Tears" and immediately loved it.

The airport scene when it kicks in was SO good.

While I don't disagree, I think TEARS gets a disproportionate amount of praise compared to the other tracks in the game.

I think many other tracks are better.

Not really sure why people focus on that track as a standout over the others.

Nymphae

Banned
I read it, just don't feel the same way. All the points are valid, but the hiperbole or it being "the best Max Paine" is simply false. The first two games are memorable and much better at every aspect, aside from graphics, obviously.

you're insane, the gunplay is way better in the 3rd game

MiguelItUp

While I don't disagree, I think TEARS gets a disproportionate amount of praise compared to the other tracks in the game.

I think many other tracks are better.

Not really sure why people focus on that track as a standout over the others.
You're not wrong, but Tears was what was played in a lot of the marketing and advertising so I'm sure that's the main reason. The whole OST is exceptional though, and still somehow underrated.

Nymphae

Banned
Installing on Steam now so I can use a DS4 but playing with a DS3 on PS3 for now. I totally forgot you could just keep firing bullets on the slow mo final kill cam, insane overkill lol

drotahorror

Downloading again...

And there's a skip cutscene mod for PC.

I really enjoyed it when I played it a while back. Great gunplay and the violence was top notch.

ShadowNate

Max Payne 1, at its time (and quite a bit long after actually) had a very active modding scene. The tools interface was not the most friendly (and it tended to be crash-y or sometimes save bad geometry for maps) but if you got used to it, it could be quite easy to use, especially wrt to some other alternatives at the time (like the Source engine tools).

This was a favorite of mine:

And there were, of course, quite a few that were Matrix - themed.

Max Payne 2, had similar official support, and even though the engine was improved, I (personally) was never a fan of its rag doll physics, so I didn't engage with it much, and I don't think that the scene took off for it quite the same way as for the original game.

Max Payne 3, as far as I know, never had official modding support.

Stitch

Gold Member
Pretty sure it does not have anything besides the main story mode and multiplayer

Edit: My bad, it does have a score attack and New York Minute, both of which are just twists on the main story mode though, no true survival mode type playgrounds like 2 had.
The survival mode is called Dead Men Walking and you have to buy it. It's designed as a co-op mode but can also be started as a private solo match.

Nymphae

Banned
The survival mode is called Dead Men Walking and you have to buy it. It's designed as a co-op mode but can also be started as a private solo match.

Never heard of that, I wasn't interested in multiplayer really so I guess I missed that. Might check it out though if I can

carlosrox

Banned
I do miss this from 2:

- more exploration/interaction (mainly pills and ammo)
- not being rushed around
- throwable items
- dream sequence
- keeping weapons

Top Bottom