• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McDonald's last quarter was their best in years, brought stock to all-time high

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
http://fortune.com/2016/01/25/mcdonalds-all-day-breakfast-turnaround/

So I was curious about how all-day breakfast worked out sales wise and GAF had posted some story about some franchisees hating it, but it turns out they are doing great for a few reasons, of course including all-day breakfast:

The introduction in October of around-the-clock Egg McMuffins and hash browns helped the Golden Arches enjoy its best quarter in nearly four years as it comes off two years of declines. The stock hit a record high today on the news.

The company’s results are also showing up its competitors’. McDonald’s U.S. same store sales growth of 5.7% in the period outperformed the rest of the fast food sandwich segment by 2.9 percentage points, the company said on its analyst call this morning.

CEO Steve Easterbrook, in the job since March, clearly loves all-day breakfast, too, but he stressed on the call that those sausage burritos and hotcakes weren’t the only initiatives serving up good results. He said that the company had been building momentum heading into the quarter and that while breakfast was the primary driver, it was not the sole factor.

Breakfast was the “headline grabber” but other initiatives were contributing as well, he said, pointing to a streamlined menu, improved order accuracy, investments in food quality and ingredients, and menu simplification.

Easterbrook likely wants to turn the focus away from breakfast because the company needs more force to propel the company from turnaround mode to prolonged growth. “We don’t want it to be a single initiative turnaround,” he said.

People love hash browns, I guess. I still never think to go to McDonald's, but I live near a dozen Bojangles, and then there's Popeyes and Cookout and whatever else, so...

Africanus

I would take advantage of All-Day breakfast more if every time I tried getting it, I did not waste 15 minutes of my life.

Krejlooc

Banned
People love hash browns, I guess. I still never think to go to McDonald's, but I live near a dozen Bojangles, and then there's Popeyes and Cookout and whatever else, so...

What mcdonalds calls hashbrowns, I would not call hasbrowns. It's more like an enormous tator-tot.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Company does something consumers like and profit soars as a result of it
I am shocked

I've thought for years that McDs was saving all-day breakfast for their last hail-mary gambit.

Now that it's here, I wonder what else they have left.

God damit! I thought boycotting them would hurt them ... Fuck!

This is bad for healthy eating for low income people, the more proliferation of fast food restaurant the less likely the local food scene would change to be more healthy, because they can't compete with cheap.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The McDouble/McChicken 2 piece combination is simultaneously the most cheap, most convenient, and most filling food in fast food history. That is a whole lunch right there for less than 3 dollars.

jblank83

Breakfast all day should be a mandatory rule in all establishments. How many times have you gone to a place at 1pm and thought "man, I want some pancakes and some hash browns or maybe an egg muffin." Then the cashier/waiter says "no, we stopped serving breakfast at 10," and a little part of you just flips out and goes crazy, but you keep it inside and order something horrible like a turkey sandwich? Like, all the time.

French toast dippers

DOWN

Banned
Wow, there were a bunch of people on this forum calling them stupid for their all day breakfast rollout. Sounds like it worked well though.

People call them stupid for everything. Stupid for getting rid of niche menu items, stupid for not getting rid of everything but burgers and nuggets. Stupid for having cheap food in the present competition, stupid for not cheapening further. Stupid for all day breakfast, stupid for starting all-day breakfast so late.

GAF has no consensus at all on what McD should be doing.

McD breakfast really is one of the best things around. Cheap, good, not the worst thing in the world for you(you can do much worse), and quick. I rarely eat out for breakfast, but it's one of those things that if I had to rush out and saw a McD, I wouldn't mind stopping in. And that's for someone who really never goes there for any other reason.

Sure CFA breakfast is good, but McD holds their own. Which you really can't say for their lunch/dinner options.

I never understood how they were allegedly struggling when at any given time there are 15+ cars in the drive thru. Meanwhile BK has 1 car and yet they're doing ok somehow. Maybe it's just here in Michigan, but every McDonald's is slammed all day long.

zer0das

Banned
I never understood how they were allegedly struggling when at any given time there are 15+ cars in the drive thru. Meanwhile BK has 1 car and yet they're doing ok somehow. Maybe it's just here in Michigan, but every McDonald's is slammed all day long.

Dunno, I go to McDoanlds like once or twice a month... middle of November of last year, there wasn't any one in the drive through at like 7 pm, which was eerie. That never happens. I've never seen more than about 8 people in the drive through.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
The McDouble/McChicken 2 piece combination is simultaneously the most cheap, most convenient, and most filling food in fast food history. That is a whole lunch right there for less than 3 dollars.

You gotta be a skeleton for that to be a meal.

Wendys 4 for 4 is the better option.

kess

The McD pancakes (or as they call them "hot cakes") are one of the most overlooked parts of the menu. You could do worse, like going to IHOP.

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
I miss that. Its 2 for 5 now. :( with a quarter pounder or 10 nuggets, not sure what else.

MrDaravon

Here they only do the biscuits all day and not the mcmuffins, so their breakfast all day thing continues to be a complete non-starter for me :/

Apt101

They got me to return after having not been in a very long time. I suddenly had the urge for breakfast food at 12:30 PM. I remembered McDonald's did all day, and one is right down the street.

And the preparation and quality of the food was surprisingly good. Whatever they've done in that department is working out. I mean, their breakfast stuff has always been their best, but the bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit was as good as Hardee's - which in my area has always had far superior breakfast food. Well, until now it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom