• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MCU's own What If...?

Neolombax

Loved episode 4. The last showdown was really really good, the animation work was perfect. I've always felt the MCU movies didn't show much of Dr. Strange's abilities. This episode did him justice.

Also
Was the raven demon that Strange absorb meant to be a reference to Trigon/Raven from DC? Seems like a playful thing to do, if true.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Loved episode 4. The last showdown was really really good, the animation work was perfect. I've always felt the MCU movies didn't show much of Dr. Strange's abilities. This episode did him justice.

Also
Was the raven demon that Strange absorb meant to be a reference to Trigon/Raven from DC? Seems like a playful thing to do, if true.

I think it was the Raven from Edgar Allan Poe's "the Raven" ... Taken from the story dimension

Little Mac

So zombie episode is next haha? From the clip I thought the episode was going to be "What If Bruce Banner didn't have performance issues during Infinity War and the snap never happened."

FunkMiller

What if they never decided live action interpretations of comic books were a good idea and we could have had some semblance of variety in our summer blockbusters for a decade?

Somebody would like a word with you, Tschumi.

BQhtzdQ.jpg

And the word is 're-education'.

Pagusas

Elden Member
So episode 5 was easily the worst of this series, and dare I say one of the worst "story" entries in the whole MCU. It felt disjointed, sillly to an extreme, lacked any heart or soul and just felt pointless as a whole. When I first heard of the "what if" series, this is the exact thing I feared it would be, pointless trash. Its so jarring as Ep4 was so good, and showed what potential the series had, only for this episode to snap us back to reality with how bad the concept really is when not executed to perfection.

My feelings so far:

Ep1: 4/10 - Disjointed, poorly paced, and felt forced, it did its job introducing the concept, but it was executed very poorly
Ep2: 7/10 - Interesting concept, though a real leap of logic, still the characters were fun and the story actually was interesting.
Ep3: 5/10 - Cool concept, kinda interesting to watch, but still nothing but filler at the end of the day. (I find it funny Hank is now responsible for 2 world ending realties (this and ep5), lol
Ep4: 8.5/10 - Really cool story, fun to watch and well paced, voice acting was bad surprisingly. The ending was very very good.
Ep5: 1/10

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Ep5 was a big discussion generator in my house, but I thought it was a real downer. Wasp being jokey casual
about exploding Carter
and everyone being totally ok with "holding the line" knowing they will be immediately zombified is just so damned annoying at this point. I can't think of a single vampire movie in 20 years that had characters ignorant of vampires and thus constantly repeating the same tactical errors yet EVERY DAMNED ZOMBIE film (perhaps Zombieland aside and that is directly referenced in this show) has characters constantly falling for the same problems like not wearing proper gear or not taking basic precautions against zombification. I also didn't care for the ending, seems like "What if...part 2" on this one is coming. Did like the futurama head though.

Ep4 was the most interesting, but good god can ANY writers use ANYTHING other than "can't let go of a loved one??" as motivation? Wasp in ep5, Strange in ep4, Hank in ep3. I'm so glad T-challa wasn't a whiny bitch about missing Wakanda. Concepts like Duty, Honor, or even just cold hard ca$h seem to be fogotten in these movies.

sol_bad

Really enjoyed the zombie episode but felt that it ended very suddenly. I don't think any future episode will surpass the Doctor Strange episode, it's too good. I never read the zombie comics so wasn't expecting the zombies to be super powered. I assume they are in the comics as well?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Ep5 was a big discussion generator in my house, but I thought it was a real downer. Wasp being jokey casual
about exploding Carter
and everyone being totally ok with "holding the line" knowing they will be immediately zombified is just so damned annoying at this point. I can't think of a single vampire movie in 20 years that had characters ignorant of vampires and thus constantly repeating the same tactical errors yet EVERY DAMNED ZOMBIE film (perhaps Zombieland aside and that is directly referenced in this show) has characters constantly falling for the same problems like not wearing proper gear or not taking basic precautions against zombification. I also didn't care for the ending, seems like "What if...part 2" on this one is coming. Did like the futurama head though.

Ep4 was the most interesting, but good god can ANY writers use ANYTHING other than "can't let go of a loved one??" as motivation? Wasp in ep5, Strange in ep4, Hank in ep3. I'm so glad T-challa wasn't a whiny bitch about missing Wakanda. Concepts like Duty, Honor, or even just cold hard ca$h seem to be fogotten in these movies.

glad I’m not the only one here…

the worst part of the episode was when just moments after Peter made the little survival guide about wearing long sleeve cloths, we see all the characters walking around in their normal outfits showing tons and tons of flesh….

And then the insanely out of character morbid humor when they kill their literal best friends.

trikster40

I like the show so far, but the animation makes me feel like I’m playing a TellTale game.

Defiinitley liked 3 and 4 way better than 1 and 2. Each episode seems to be getting better.

I didn't really enjoy the zombie episode all that much.

In most (practically all?) zombie media that I have ever heard/watched/played/etc, zombies are supposed to be dumb. Their brain activity is reduced to practically "Grrrr I want brains and flesh." Yet the infected superheroes are all using their capabilities/powers almost to their fullest extent.

So far, in these "What If...?" episodes:
- Biggest losers: The Ant-Man crew (0-for-2; in two episodes someone from the Ant-Man universe has fucked things up royally)
- Biggest winners: Black Panther crew (2-for-2; T'Challa stays winning, both in this episode and as "Alt" Star-Lord in ep 2; and Okoye was pretty awesome in this episode too)
- MVP: Cloak of Levitation...? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Neolombax

I liked Ep 5. Thought it was a fun episode. Visually gorier than any other episodes, but it was sort of expected since its a zombie theme.

Didn't expect The Wasp to go giant. So when she becomes huge, she cant fly anymore? Whats the deal?

sol_bad

I liked Ep 5. Thought it was a fun episode. Visually gorier than any other episodes, but it was sort of expected since its a zombie theme.

Didn't expect The Wasp to go giant. So when she becomes huge, she cant fly anymore? Whats the deal?

Yep, she only gets wings when she is small, always been like that in the comics. No real reason is given from what I remember.

Pagusas

Elden Member

If you made a house fly human sized, it also wouldnt be able to fly. More mass requires exponentially more lift, lift those sized wings wouldn't be capable of generating.

Last edited:

sol_bad

If you made a house fly human sized, it also wouldnt be able to fly. More mass requires exponentially more lift.

That of course makes sense but in terms of super powers, why does her body automatically grow wings when she shrinks but they don't grow and she enlarges? Actually, are her wings just part of her suit in the MCU?

Pagusas

Elden Member
That of course makes sense but in terms of super powers, why does her body automatically grow wings when she shrinks but they don't grow and she enlarges? Actually, are her wings just part of her suit in the MCU?
They are part of her suit, they fold out of the suit and tuck back into it when not in use.

HOTMMS498--Ant-Man-2-Wasp-1-6-FigureL_6f811857-dbbb-4c5d-8c94-91adb541d061_1024x1024.jpg

tumblr_p823d3govB1sc0ffqo6_540.gifv

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I didn't really enjoy the zombie episode all that much.

In most (practically all?) zombie media that I have ever heard/watched/played/etc, zombies are supposed to be dumb. Their brain activity is reduced to practically "Grrrr I want brains and flesh." Yet the infected superheroes are all using their capabilities/powers almost to their fullest extent.

So far, in these "What If...?" episodes:
- Biggest losers: The Ant-Man crew (0-for-2; in two episodes someone from the Ant-Man universe has fucked things up royally)
- Biggest winners: Black Panther crew (2-for-2; T'Challa stays winning, both in this episode and as "Alt" Star-Lord in ep 2; and Okoye was pretty awesome in this episode too)
- MVP: Cloak of Levitation...? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

In the comics, they retain much of their intelligence and skills. Just slower and only a bit dumber. They're just controlled by their hunger.

Trogdor1123

On the second episode now. First was pretty fun, second pretty much sucked. It was really awful.

It's a shame as Black Panther is a great character.

Edit:
Episodes 3-5 were pretty good. 5 felt like they werent done at the end though.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Apparently Marvel wants to do a Spider-Man animated series set in the MCU. How they'll get around the Tom Holland thing would remain to be seen, but maybe they'll cut it into the next contract.

sol_bad

Googling MCU Spider-man cartoon leads to a single article from wegotthiscovered. They mention Geekosity as the source of information. Never heard of Geekosity.
MEH
Ignore.

Little Mac

Latest episode was alright. It was just an alternate (and better) espionage path for Killmonger to travel. Ending again was sudden like the last episode. I guess we are supposed to imagine the resolution? Regardless, the Dr. Strange episode remains the highlight of the series thus far. 7/10

Last edited:

Ma-Yuan

Latest episode was alright. It was just an alternate (and better) espionage path for Killmonger to travel. Ending again was sudden like the last episode. I guess we are supposed to imagine the resolution? Regardless, the Dr. Strange episode remains the highlight of the series thus far. 7/10
I think the resolution might come in season 2 for some episodes.

trikster40

Another mediocre episode where the ending had more potential than the main sorry. Not sure this is going to keep me watching anymore

sol_bad

I enjoyed the Thor party episode, just some goofy fun for everyone. I liked the Thor vs Captain Marvel fight, very entertaining seeing them punch each other to different countries.

ManaByte

Another mediocre episode where the ending had more potential than the main sorry. Not sure this is going to keep me watching anymore

There are only two episodes left.

Next week is Tony on Sakaar.

Then the final episode that pays off the ending to this one.

trikster40

There are only two episodes left.

Next week is Tony on Sakaar.

Then the final episode that pays off the ending to this one.
Ah though there was 12 for some reason. Ok I guess I can spare one more hour of my life! Thanks for the info!

I do think they really missed some opportunity to really go crazy with the what if scenarios.

sol_bad

Ah though there was 12 for some reason. Ok I guess I can spare one more hour of my life! Thanks for the info!

I do think they really missed some opportunity to really go crazy with the what if scenarios.

Hopefully they'll have more confidence to go a bit crazier with the next season.

Amiga

Dr Strange episode set the bar. Easily the best episode they've done so far ... 9.25/10. It hits hard and this coming from someone who doesn't like Dr Strange.
came here to post about this. Dr.Strange has the 2 best endings in the MCU.
2nd best is the Avengers murders.
made me miss the more balanced pre-GOTG Marvel. now getting too campy too often.

Eh, the episode kind of sucked. As others have said here, the Doctor Strange episode is by far the best and, at this rate, may likely not be topped (at least this season).

In previous episodes, the animated characters reflected the look of the live action actors a lot, but these did not look like Jane Foster or Darcy Lewis (the Kat Dennings character) much at all. Besides, I think Darcy is an annoying character in general -- she was a weak (maybe the weakest?) aspect of the otherwise truly fantastic WandaVision.

The best part of this episode was the same part that is the best of any Thor movie -- Loki.

EDIT: oh, I guess another thing the episode got correct is Captain Marvel being a party pooper -- both the character and (especially) the actress seem to be party poopers indeed 😂

Last edited:

Amiga

the Thor story is actually cool. straight forward well done comedy. format used to go all out. from loony toons to subtle jokes.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I think I'd be much more interested in a "Stat Wars: Visions" type show for Marvel. I love seeing the different art styles and storytelling interpretations.

And while we're at it, if any franchise is fitting for a show like that, it's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. They are just as versatile and malleable as Batman or any other characters. You can do goofy, serious, sci-fi, fantasy, urban crime, you name it.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Eh, the episode kind of sucked. As others have said here, the Doctor Strange episode is by far the best and, at this rate, may likely not be topped (at least this season).

In previous episodes, the animated characters reflected the look of the live action actors a lot, but these did not look like Jane Foster or Darcy Lewis (the Kat Dennings character) much at all. Besides, I think Darcy is an annoying character in general -- she was a weak (maybe the weakest?) aspect of the otherwise truly fantastic WandaVision.

The best part of this episode was the same part that is the best of any Thor movie -- Loki.

EDIT: oh, I guess another thing the episode got correct is Captain Marvel being a party pooper -- both the character and (especially) the actress seem to be party poopers indeed 😂

Believe it or not, they couldn't get Brie Larson to do her character's voice. So someone else is doing it. Almost everyone else was back for their characters, though b

ManaByte

Believe it or not, they couldn't get Brie Larson to do her character's voice. So someone else is doing it. Almost everyone else was back for their characters, though b

They couldn't get Brie Larson, Benedict Cumberbatch (despite him filming TWO movies for them when the show was being made), Chris Evans, RDJ, or Tom Holland (Sony wouldn't let him do it). Everyone else is back including people like Michael Douglas and Kurt Russell.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
They couldn't get Brie Larson, Benedict Cumberbatch (despite him filming TWO movies for them when the show was being made), Chris Evans, RDJ, or Tom Holland (Sony wouldn't let him do it). Everyone else is back including people like Michael Douglas and Kurt Russell.

Cumberbatch Returned in his episode.

Top Bottom