• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meat and mental health: Meat eaters suffer less depression, anxiety

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
The analysis also showed that the more rigorous the study, the more positive and consistent the relation between meat consumption and better mental health. The current body of evidence precludes causal and temporal inferences

Remember that correlation does not imply causation.

Ionian

Burgers might be awesome but nothing beats a a curry and cheese chips.

There's a place here famous for burgers, Had one, it was just a burger. Amazingly popular though.

Like beef but meh, wasn't worth the wait.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Meat eater goes to any lunch, dinner or party:

"This place looks great! Menu looks sweet!"
"Hey host, thanks for inviting us all over!"
"Whomever is ordering pizza, ya order whatever"

Non-meat eater:

"Excuse me, does your menu have vegetarian options? That's it? 3 vegetarian entrees? I'm freaking out.... heart pulsating, sweating, OMG my selection is limited!"
"Hey host, I cant eat half the stuff you are making, can you next time make more veggie stuff for me even though I'm the only vegetarian here?"
"Before any of you order pizza, can I choose my own pizza? What? You already ordered and none are vegetarian? [Getting hyper]So what am I going to eat? No Brad, picking off the pepperoni isnt the same thing!"

Last edited:

Ionian

Meat eater goes to any lunch, dinner or party:

"This place looks great! Menu looks sweet!"
"Hey host, thanks for inviting us all over!"
"Whomever is ordering pizza, ya order whatever"

Non-meat eater:

"Excuse me, does your menu have vegetarian options? That's it? 3 vegetarian entrees? I'm freaking out.... heart pulsating, sweating, OMG my selection is limited!"
"Hey host, I cant eat half the stuff you are making, can you next time make more veggie stuff for me even though I'm the only vegetarian here?"
"Before any of you order pizza, can I choose my own pizza? What? You already ordered and none are vegetarian? [Getting hyper]So what am I going to eat? No Brad, picking off the pepperoni isnt the same thing!"

Shockingly true, was with a vegertarian for 4 years, Was such a pain in the ass going for food.

They could eat whatever they wanted, I didn't care. Just took ages to find a place to cater to her. Very fussy eater.

Funny thiing was her parents would eat steak with blood still on it.

I knew getting meat in my mouth made me happier
why-are-you-why-are-you-gay.gif

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Shockingly true, was with a vegertarian for 4 years, Was such a pain in the ass going for food.

They could eat whatever they wanted, I didn't care. Just took ages to find a place to cater to her. Very fussy eater.

Funny thiing was her parents would eat steak with blood still on it.
If you're ever asked to order pizza at work for the entire department, dont do it. Pain in the fucking ass. But once you do it once, it sticks forever.

You'd think it would be as easy as buying a ton of party sized pizzas from pre-canned selections right?

It actually goes like this. About 8 people out of 30 will come up to you after they find out you are ordering:

- No meat
- But for the veggie topping, also make sure to not have onions or pineapple or tomatoes too (onions are gross, pineapple doesnt belong and tomatoes make them watery)
- Lactose intolerant

All the people who eat meat dont give a shit what you order with exception of occasional people saying no anchovies. I had never had a guy come up to me and say.... "Hey, can you order a triple pepperoni" "Hey, can you get a meat pizza, but no pepperoni or bacon. Only choose sausage." and "Make sure never to add veggies to any of these"

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
My wife’s cholesterol dropped severely when we stopped eating meat. In fact, it’s at the perfect level according to her doctor. My blood samples come back healthy too. I’ve never dealt with high cholesterol or blood sugar issues. I honestly don’t crave meat anymore. My body has felt better since I’ve been on a vegan diet for 2 years now. I tried to read the journal, but it’s a bit too much info to form an opinion on. I wouldn’t be surprised if the meat and dairy industry had lobbiest all over the place. You have men and women who work at farms and factories. The food industry is probably one of the most corrupted industries on planet earth. On top of that, there is still a lot of criticism from both meat eaters and non meat eaters. Either way I don’t care about eating meat. I’m at that point where it would feel way too weird to go back to eating meat. I wouldn’t say I am depressed. There are way more vegan options than there were years ago. I think a lot of it is just the disagreement with other people. It’s like a vegan walking into a steak house type of mind set. As a vegan, you do feel different from other people regardless if you’re extreme with your views. I find it all a bit odd at times, but not enough for me to change how I eat.

kingwingin

My wife’s cholesterol dropped severely when we stopped eating meat. In fact, it’s at the perfect level according to her doctor. My blood samples come back healthy too. I’ve never dealt with high cholesterol or blood sugar issues. I honestly don’t crave meat anymore. My body has felt better since I’ve been on a vegan diet for 2 years now. I tried to read the journal, but it’s a bit too much info to form an opinion on. I wouldn’t be surprised if the meat and dairy industry had lobbiest all over the place. You have men and women who work at farms and factories. The food industry is probably one of the most corrupted industries on planet earth. On top of that, there is still a lot of criticism from both meat eaters and non meat eaters. Either way I don’t care about eating meat. I’m at that point where it would feel way too weird to go back to eating meat. I wouldn’t say I am depressed. There are way more vegan options than there were years ago. I think a lot of it is just the disagreement with other people. It’s like a vegan walking into a steak house type of mind set. As a vegan, you do feel different from other people regardless if you’re extreme with your views. I find it all a bit odd at times, but not enough for me to change how I eat.
This post gave me depression

BigBooper

I wish you would step back from that ledge my friend. You could eat, meatpies and chicken thighs and sausage from a tin...

I need to workshop this.

You're talking about evolutionary traits here. Go vegan/vegie for 5, 10 or 25 years and then chat about it. There are countless vegan "posterchildren" who've turned the corner after long term (approx 5-15 years) effects such as bone density issues, osteo issues for women and more if you look past the BS from either side of the argument. Humans evolved around hunting and gathering, not just one or the other for their whole life. Take a look at studies in kids that go vegan/vegie, it's brutal AF what it does to their bodies.

FWIW I absolutely agree a personal and global reduction of meat/red meat is a great thing these days but this idea of being a full blown vegan for life is just as silly as an all meat diet all the time. Glad you're feeling good but things like having chicken or fish as part of your diet will return in your lifetime. Your body needs such things long term.

Tschumi

Maybe that's because they're eating meat foods that are loaded with other endorphin represents like salt, sugar, fat..

For real, this is the kind of ot that means little to me because i eat meat and i still feel like dogshit half the time :D

Ionian

If you're ever asked to order pizza at work for the entire department, dont do it. Pain in the fucking ass. But once you do it once, it sticks forever.

You'd think it would be as easy as buying a ton of party sized pizzas from pre-canned selections right?

It actually goes like this. About 8 people out of 30 will come up to you after they find out you are ordering:

- No meat
- But for the veggie topping, also make sure to not have onions or pineapple or tomatoes too (onions are gross, pineapple doesnt belong and tomatoes make them watery)
- Lactose intolerant

All the people who eat meat dont give a shit what you order with exception of occasional people saying no anchovies. I had never had a guy come up to me and say.... "Hey, can you order a triple pepperoni" "Hey, can you get a meat pizza, but no pepperoni or bacon. Only choose sausage." and "Make sure never to add veggies to any of these"

Oh we had pizza da in work after a good month. of money. I just went in and grabbed slilces ASAP as they got mauled by fingers. Just ate at my desk even though not allowed,

Then again told a girl with wet stockings to microwave them. She did!

Nearly got fired for that but when the manager complained I couldn't stop laughing. Manager was shocked.

The smell was uniquefrom the microwave, think they bought a new one. Was so funny though, onced the kitchen door opened I wretched. Stank up a massive office, am actually surprised I kept the job.

Was one of the highest earners though. I think she did it again as well, not sure.

Nearly fell off my chair laughing when my own manager complained. They were angry but had no idea were to look as I was in hystreics.

She did it a second time too on her own
Not a smart woman but her expression walking out with burned tights I'll never forget. such sadness.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I think it can do noone harm to try it. People can be quite different. Just recently I discovered for instance that my body can't deal with carbs at all. So my guess is that if carbs do me more harm than good, I'm sure there are people out there who have similar issues with meat.

Tams

That's a whole lot of cope there. You didnct even stop to take a breath and hit the enter key even once.

Also, you know when you meet a vegetarian/vegan, yada yada.

There is a fairly large chance that you ate like shit earlier.

GeekyDad

There are definitely very polar opinions out there, and many from very reputable sources. For me, I try to research, try things in moderation, and try (though no one's perfect, of course) to do what my body and common sense are telling me is good for me.

I was vegan for quite a few years, but when I went on chemotherapy and radiation treatment, I switched to dairy (Fage) yogurt, and added meat as a daily protein several times (about thrice) a week. I wanted to make sure I was getting good, solid protein substance throughout those weeks. I've stuck with that diet from here on out, though, as I'm still taking seizure medicine. Honestly, though, since my cancer is in my left frontal lobe, I can't tell what triggers my seizures anymore -- if it's stimulus from foods, such as sugars, salts, etc., or anxiety, stress...

You (I can) can only try to do the best you can do, right?

Didn’t read the OP but I’m guessing it has to do with fat content. Dipping real low in total fat consumed can lead to depression issues (see: Pritikin diet)

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Probably an extremely western-focused study. Compare these kinds of things in China or India and it would be different I'm sure. And then compare any developing countries rates of depression to the west (who eats the most meat by far) and take a guess where that ends up. Most people in developing countries have far lower rates of depression, anorexia, obesity, all modern diseases associated with first world countries. They also have higher pain tolerance and require less opiods.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Probably an extremely western-focused study. Compare these kinds of things in China or India and it would be different I'm sure. And then compare any developing countries rates of depression to the west (who eats the most meat by far) and take a guess where that ends up. Most people in developing countries have far lower rates of depression, anorexia, obesity, all modern diseases associated with first world countries. They also have higher pain tolerance and require less opiods.

I know/knew vegetarians that were fat because they eat like shit. Yeah, your hostess cupcakes may not have killed an animal to be made but they’re garbage for you, of course you’re feeling shitty all the time.

On the other hand there are vegans that eat quite well and can be quite healthy, they just need to make sure they’re getting the nutrients they would otherwise get from meat from stuff like beans, like other cultures do.

gela94

You're talking about evolutionary traits here. Go vegan/vegie for 5, 10 or 25 years and then chat about it. There are countless vegan "posterchildren" who've turned the corner after long term (approx 5-15 years) effects such as bone density issues, osteo issues for women and more if you look past the BS from either side of the argument. Humans evolved around hunting and gathering, not just one or the other for their whole life. Take a look at studies in kids that go vegan/vegie, it's brutal AF what it does to their bodies.

FWIW I absolutely agree a personal and global reduction of meat/red meat is a great thing these days but this idea of being a full blown vegan for life is just as silly as an all meat diet all the time. Glad you're feeling good but things like having chicken or fish as part of your diet will return in your lifetime. Your body needs such things long term.
Yes someone with sense. Go on please

Most people in developing countries have lower rates if depression? Yeah, plus the fact that they actually do die when losing momentum.

Idk about y'all but when I'm enjoying a steak & lobster surf n turf with asparagus and roasted potatoes I sure as hell feel less anxious/depressed.

*this is not intended to be clinical/medical advice, and I am not a doctor

Wildebeest

Call me back when they actually identify the specific dietary deficiency which is a problem. "Meat" is covering a lot of ground. Anyone going vegan should know that they need to take vitamin b12 supplements, but I bet a lot of them can't be bothered or take a multivitamin dose that is too small for them.

KielCasto

Of course. Meat yummy! Meat tasty! Meat good! Nothing tops meat after a workout or a tiring day. Maybe a big fat burger on a lazy day hmmm

the authors admit that the exclusion of non-English-languge studies could have made a bias, but a lot of regions still got included. This subject really interests me, and I hope a study defines the relationship soon (at least for science’s sake).
This qualitative screening resulted in 20 papers published from 2001 to April 2020 that met our inclusion/exclusion criteria. These included 17 cross-sectional, 2 mixed cross-sectional and longitudinal studies, and 1 RCT. The total sample included 171,802 participants (93,257 females and 77,410 males) with 157,778 meat consumers and 13,259 meat abstainers. Three studies included only females (Baines, Powers, and Brown 2007; Lindeman 2002; Stokes, Gordon, and DiVasta 2011) and one study included only males (Hibbeln et al. 2018). Eight studies included samples from the U.S. or North America (Beezhold et al. 2015; Beezhold and Johnston 2012; Beezhold, Johnston, and Daigle 2010; Forestell and Nezlek 2018; Jin et al. 2021; Perry et al. 2001; Stokes, Gordon, and DiVasta 2011; Timko, Hormes, and Chubski 2012), eleven were from non-U.S. countries (e.g., Europe, Asia, and Oceania) (Baines, Powers, and Brown 2007; Baş, Karabudak, and Kiziltan 2005; Goh et al. 2019; Hessler-Kaufmann et al. 2020; Hibbeln et al. 2018; Kapoor et al. 2017; Lindeman 2002; Matta et al. 2018; Michalak, Zhang, and Jacobi 2012; Paslakis et al. 2020; Velten et al. 2018), and one study included samples from multinational-cohorts (Lavallee et al. 2019). The sample sizes ranged from 38 to 90,380 participants between 11 and 105 years of age.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yep. I like to order a double roast beef from arbys after lifting and it feels amazing. (The bread cancels out some of the benefit but thats fast food for ya, its not a health recommendation lol)
I'd eat Arby's, but they all disappeared the last bunch of years where I live. Google mapping it, they are now all 15-20 min away in a different town!

Top Bottom