• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meat and mental health: Meat eaters suffer less depression, anxiety

Ionian

I'd eat Arby's, but they all disappeared the last bunch of years where I live. Google mapping it, they are now all 15-20 min away in a different town!

We have Tolteca here. Set up by Bono's son. Probably mentioned before, nothing beats Lebanese or Indian though.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I know/knew vegetarians that were fat because they eat like shit. Yeah, your hostess cupcakes may not have killed an animal to be made but they’re garbage for you, of course you’re feeling shitty all the time.

On the other hand there are vegans that eat quite well and can be quite healthy, they just need to make sure they’re getting the nutrients they would otherwise get from meat from stuff like beans, like other cultures do.
So true.

Some coworkers I used to work with were fat, but vegetarian. You cant get fat eating fruits and vegetables all day. But ya, they must be eating so much carbs and high calorie dairy at home it outweighs the high calories in a greasy burger.

As for vegetarians and vegans, people can eat what they want. Just have some fucking respect for people when they host a party or even order food for the company at work. I don't like celery, ginger, garlic, that weird tasting shit like parsley or coriander (I think its the same stuff). I dont even eat salads on my own unless it's a fatty potato salad. But when I get hit with this stuff I just avoid it at someone's house, or I man up and eat it (take some salad) to show respect the host made an effort and paid money buying all this shit for everyone.

I'm not going to tell the person to buy all meat and carbs next time because thats what I like. Not going to kill me to eat some salad that night with some tangy balsamic vinegar I dont give a shit about. Just like it wont kill a non-meat eater to just eat some chicken a host made.

Last edited:

Fbh

Wouldn't be surprised if it has more to do with personality type than the actual food.
I known a lot of vegetarians/vegans that are constantly stressing over food, and animal rights and the environment and getting offended over food options, etc. Like just as an anecdotal example I knew this vegan girl (that I admittedly was kinda into) that would spend most of her free time and money saving stray cats and dogs which was always a big economical strain and took away time from other stuff she might enjoy doing not to mention the psychological effect every time one of them would die.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Rocky carnivore diet approved.

VBZPQHr.gif

Shockingly true, was with a vegertarian for 4 years, Was such a pain in the ass going for food.

They could eat whatever they wanted, I didn't care. Just took ages to find a place to cater to her. Very fussy eater.

Funny thiing was her parents would eat steak with blood still on it.
Why did you date lisa sampson?

Mossybrew

Wouldn't be surprised if it has more to do with personality type than the actual food.
I known a lot of vegetarians/vegans that are constantly stressing over food

Yeah, there is a type of person that stresses over food, whether they are vegetarian/vegan, counting calories, or following the latest trend diet. These people are generally exhausting and by making every meal some kind of moral decision, I'm sure it adds a baseline of stress every day compared to people who just eat whatever and enjoy it and go about their day (obviously within reason, if you are eating fast food every day or downing a whole cheesecake in one sitting you have a whole other issue).

TrueLegend

Look you can eat or you can choose not to, your choice. But this research follows a horrible methodology. "Non-English studies were excluded". Yeah get out, even people in countries like Ghana do better research than that.

GeekyDad

I'd like to add that, though I now eat meat as part of my weekly diet, I was less prone to any type of depression or anxiety during the years I was vegan. Adding meat to my diet was (and still is) simply an issue of boosting my physical mobility during chemo/radiation therapy. My Focal Onset Aware Seizures are a thing of horror I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Even after treatment and including meat in my diet they continue and are now becoming more frequent.

So, again, I think there are valid studies to support both arguments, but I don't know that there's a "one size fits all" on the matter. The "vegans are pussies" thing is fun, but the reality is probably more along the lines of "who knows, really?"

Last edited:

Ionian

I east meatSo true.

Some coworkers I used to work with were fat, but vegetarian. You cant get fat eating fruits and vegetables all day. But ya, they must be eating so much carbs and high calorie dairy at home it outweighs the high calories in a greasy burger.

As for vegetarians and vegans, people can eat what they want. Just have some fucking respect for people when they host a party or even order food for the company at work. I don't like celery, ginger, garlic, that weird tasting shit like parsley or coriander (I think its the same stuff). I dont even eat salads on my own unless it's a fatty potato salad. But when I get hit with this stuff I just avoid it at someone's house, or I man up and eat it (take some salad) to show respect the host made an effort and paid money buying all this shit for everyone.

I'm not going to tell the person to buy all meat and carbs next time because thats what I like. Not going to kill me to eat some salad that night with some tangy balsamic vinegar I dont give a shit about. Just like it wont kill a non-meat eater to just eat some chicken a host made.
I have met fat vegetrains. Depends on metalobism. I have ones in my own family.

It's possible even if they don't eat meat. I do and can't put weight on. Depends on the person when I tied to put weight on for sport it was nearly impossible. Skinniest person on a Rugby pitch and I ate like crazy.

Was why I was a winger, super fast and full of calories. Took down lumbering giants. At a cost though, hitting giants ain't easy in rugby, gotta go for the legs. Also might harm you or even kick you in the face if you try.

Not sure why fat vegetarians would be surprising. It's sugar that makes people fat not meat. Same reason 3rd world counties have fewer landwhales. Less sugar in the diet.

Ionian

I have met fat vegetrains. Depends on metalobism. I have ones in my own family.

It's possible even if they don't eat meat. I do and can't put weight on. Depends on the person when I tied to put weight on for sport it was nearly impossible. Skinniest person on a Rugby pitch and I ate like crazy.

Was why I was a winger, super fast and full of calories. Took down lumbering giants. At a cost though, hitting giants ain't easy in rugby, gotta go for the legs. Also might harm you or even kick you in the face if you try.
Look how fat these people are. Dude is fit as fuck.

Wildebeest

Protein and fiber make you feel full and slowly release energy, so if your diet as a lot of those foods, it is less tempting to overeat. If a vegetarian is mostly eating whole plant foods and is avoiding sugar and processed foods then that is more like the seventh day adventist vegetarian diet which is one of the very few diets proven by science to be healthy over a lifetime. Vegetarians are just as affected by bad food culture as anyone else. Even people in the Mediterranean now eat a lot of junk food and don't follow the famous Mediterranean diet.

Ionian

Protein and fiber make you feel full and slowly release energy, so if your diet as a lot of those foods, it is less tempting to overeat. If a vegetarian is mostly eating whole plant foods and is avoiding sugar and processed foods then that is more like the seventh day adventist vegetarian diet which is one of the very few diets proven by science to be healthy over a lifetime. Vegetarians are just as affected by bad food culture as anyone else. Even people in the Mediterranean now eat a lot of junk food and don't follow the famous Mediterranean diet.

My sister and Nephew are both fat and strictly veggies.

Neither eat much either, depends on your body. Everyone is different.

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
Not sure why fat vegetarians would be surprising. It's sugar that makes people fat not meat. Same reason 3rd world counties have fewer landwhales. Less sugar in the diet.
Eating more calories than you burn makes you fat. It’s not sugar specifically, it’s just the highest calorie liquid ( soda ) humans consume regularly. You can get fat in jail on starch trays of slop, I watched guys do it that couldn’t get commissary eating everything they could get at mealtimes. Countries that consume more meat ( western countries ) do have the highest obesity rates, but that’s likely just a condition of more disposable income per capita.

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
Neither eat much either, depends on your body. Everyone is different.

Yeah no, they're lying to you.

If they are fat then they are eating a lot. 'A lot' can mean high calorie food/drinks that may not be a lot in volume. Please don't enable them (or do if you hate them).

Ionian

Yeah no, they're lying to you.

If they are fat then they are eating a lot. 'A lot' can mean high calorie food/drinks that may not be a lot in volume. Please don't enable them (or do if you hate them).

Metabolism and excercise play a part. I knew fat kids that ate next to nothing.

It's biology 101.

Tams

Gold Member
Metabolism and excercise play a part. I knew fat kids that ate next to nothing.

It's biology 101.

No shit.

But next to no one has such terrible metabolism that a reasonably healthy diet and a reasonable amount of exercise (not even intense) wouldn't keep them at a healthy weight.

If you are fat, then you either are physically disabled so can't exercise properly, have a very rare medical condition, or, mostly likely, aren't being honest and are either not eating healthily enough or not exercising enough (or both).

Ionian

No shit.

But next to no one has such terrible metabolism that a reasonably healthy diet and a reasonable amount of exercise (not even intense) wouldn't keep them at a healthy weight.

If you are fat, then you either are physically disabled so can't exercise properly, have a very rare medical condition, or, mostly likely, aren't being honest and are either not eating healthily enough or not exercising enough (or both).

I wne to a school that's main sport was Rugby most ate healthy

Never see a big bouncer at a pub in your lifetime? Of course some people are bigger. Some have larger frames and some simply are prone to weight.

I was winger as I was skinny for my age and could sprint the flank.

You ever watch sports? naturally big people are picked for the middle to push pressure. .You obviously never played.

Look at 'The Mountain in GoT', reckon he's fat? ahahahaha

Genetics.

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
I wne to a school that's main sport was Rugby most ate healthy

Never see a big bouncer at a pub in your lifetime? Of course some people are bigger. Some have larger frames and some simply are prone to weight.

I was winger as I was skinny for my age and could sprint the flank.

You ever watch sports? naturally big people are picked for the middle to push pressure. .You obviously never played.

Look at 'The Mountain in GoT', reckon he's fat? ahahahaha
Naturally big is not fat. You're talking about people who have large skeletal structures, which of course can't be changed.

Some fat people use that as an excuse, but it is just that: an excuse.

I get the feeling that you don't know what 'fat' means. It is not synonymous with 'large', although some people do use 'large' to just be polite. They shouldn't bother; fat people should be called fat and pressured into improving their health if only for the benefit of the rest of society (for example; obesity cost the NHS many millions at year).

Last edited:

Ionian

Naturally big is not fat. You're talking about people who have large skeletal structures, which of course can't be changed.

Some fat people use that as an excuse, but it is just that: an excuse.

I get the feeling that you don't know what 'fat' means. It is not synonymous with 'large', although some people do use 'large' to just be polite. They shouldn't bother; fat people should be called fat and pressured into improving their health if only for the benefit of the rest of society (for example; obesity cost the NHS many millions at year).

So you have never met security or a bouncer. It works both ways, both height and girth.

Larger people eat more and can be stout including stomach. You're delusional.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
All I can say is every kind of fried chicken I've eaten is at minimum decent (even the Walmart leftovers at 50% off near closing time). I dont think I have ever eaten any from any place which were bad. Tasty, greasy, and its pretty hard to fuck up fried chicken unless the place simply undercooked it.

For those of you who want some sauce, but dont want straight up hot sauce or sweet sauce, simply combine a mix of hot sauce and plum sauce. Use more hot or plum as you see fit. Works wonders. Got that tip from the cook at Loblaws when I asked for sauce packets! LOL

Last edited:

Ionian

So you have never met security or a bouncer. It works both ways, both height and girth.

Larger people eat more and can be stout including stomach. You're delusional.

You got schooled, haha.

What sport you ever play?

Mike Tyson's 'Punch out' on NES?

Ionian

All I can say is every kind of fried chicken I've eaten is at minimum decent (even the Walmart leftovers at 50% off near closing time). I dont think I have ever eaten any from any place which were bad. Tasty, greasy, and its pretty hard to fuck up fried chicken unless the place simply undercooked it.

For those of you who want some sauce, but dont want straight up hot sauce or sweet sauce, simply combine a mix of hot sauce and plum sauce. Use more hot or plum as you see fit. Works wonders. Got that tip from the cook at Loblaws when I asked for sauce packets! LOL
I'd murder for some, just nothing in the area. Last place closed down a year ago :(

I'd have to hit the city centre for a KFC. KFC is pretty shabby here and very expensive.:(

There is dominoes Pizza but bleugh for fried chicken. :( Oven baked from Frozen.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
"Before any of you order pizza, can I choose my own pizza? What? You already ordered and none are vegetarian? [Getting hyper]So what am I going to eat? No Brad, picking off the pepperoni isnt the same thing!"
Can vegetarians not just eat their own pizza? I do not have much experience with those, but not being able to eat a pizza, in addition to not being able to eat a steak sounds depressing.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Well most of the mentalists I see and read about tend to be fucking vegans so go figure, telling me shit I already knew, as my da says never trust a cunt that doesn't drink or like steak

plushyp

So true.

Sorry but your comparisons here are absolutely absurd. I'm vegetarian and don't eat meat so why the hell would I eat it lol? You don't like those vegetables because of their taste which is completely different from someone not eating meat, another separate diet. As the host having one vegetarian option doesn't kill you and if you think it's a big chore to have one vegetarian dish then don't host or call them if you think the world is going to end. Doubly so if you're ordering on the company dime, don't take the task if you think the stress of ordering for people with allergies or intolerance is too much for you.

Herr Edgy

No shit.
People that are concerned for the well-being of animals getting born to get slaughtered have a more negative outlook on life than people engaging in stuffing their mouths with flesh. Who would have thought. "pie_tears_joy:

Ionian

But a guy in this thread said vedgdetarians gettin fat are lying.

LMAO. Knows fuck all. Obviosuly never met a fat one and is full of shit.

I've met plenty. Even declared two of my own family members as ones.

Sister has eaten't meat since her teens (40) and my Nephew never did. I tease him ohaviutng a go at some bacon.

They just don't eat meat but that idiot says they're lying.

I know full well they don't as close family. He hasn't a clue about metabolism. but;

It simply isn't the same for everyone, they'd straight up say if they ate meat. LMAO.

I tease them about it.

Mato

Why do you guys hate vegetarians so much? I don't eat meat and I've never forced my dietary habits on anyone, I don't even discuss it. And if it does come up during a lunch or something, it's usually the other side trying preach ("I believe that humans are meant to eat meat" etc. etc). I don't give a shit what you think, chew your stake, leave me alone. I haven't had meat in the last 3 years and I haven't seen any difference in my mood, one way or another.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Absolutely believe it. Humans are natural omnivores, so it's no surprise that eating meat has mental health benefits.

However, I'm sure to see these benefits you're going to have to eat real meat. Not processed meat or fast food poison.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
It’s human nature to eat meat kids are taught to eat meat through the food pyramid ignoring that would be a huge defeat to your diet
Tim And Eric Nachos GIF

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I used to work with a guy who was a hardcore Vegan.

Long story short, he ended up getting fired for threatening to blow up our office building..

Who knew that a simple Slim Jim would've calmed his ass down? 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Ionian

I used to work with a guy who was a hardcore Vegan.

Long story short, he ended up getting fired for threatening to blow up our office building..

Who knew that a simple Slim Jim would've calmed his ass down? 🤷‍♂️

Knew of some dude too, Vegan as well. Tenant of my best mates mother.

She asked him to leave as he was so loopy.

So he set her car on fire and left.

Another was a Dr. had a mental breakdown and ran naked down the street, put into an instituon for her own safety.

Actually probably had more to do ,with being crazy than vegan for both.

Wild times for a teenager me. Think the dude who set the car on fire ended up murdered by someone else he slighted.

Was also another dude, I was moving out of a flat. He caame in and started fiddling and trying to pull fixtures off the wall. He went out by jumping off a roof onto a main road from across from where I lived.

All were Vegan I think. doesn't obviously mean I think every Vegan is like that. Simply some I knew at the time. Wild shit.

Last edited:

dr_octagon

Banned
Look you can eat or you can choose not to, your choice. But this research follows a horrible methodology. "Non-English studies were excluded". Yeah get out, even people in countries like Ghana do better research than that.
joining us today is a meat eating activist, welcome. why are you whey?

Melon Husk

Third, despite the high confidence we place in our finding that meat abstention is linked to a greater prevalence of psychological disorders, study designs precluded inferences of temporality and causality.
They were only looking for correlation. I can think of dozens of reasons why people who try to control their diet are more likely to be more anxious than those that don't, without a trendy meta-analysis. Anyone who thinks about this for a minute can.

Last edited:

dbilyliker

Burgers might be awesome but nothing beats a a curry and cheese chips.

There's a place here famous for burgers, Had one, it was just a burger. Amazingly popular though.

Like beef but meh, wasn't worth the wait.
A cheeseburger Patty with cheese is the happiest thing ever!:messenger_grinning_squinting:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I think that humans need meat... but no one HAS to eat meat ya know?

Don't vegetarians need to add dietary supplements to compensate for the lack of meat to the point that some foodstuff is just fortified by the manufacturers?

We need to eat meat although the current levels of consumption in developed nations are probably unnecessary.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Why do you guys hate vegetarians so much? I don't eat meat and I've never forced my dietary habits on anyone, I don't even discuss it. And if it does come up during a lunch or something, it's usually the other side trying preach ("I believe that humans are meant to eat meat" etc. etc). I don't give a shit what you think, chew your stake, leave me alone. I haven't had meat in the last 3 years and I haven't seen any difference in my mood, one way or another.
Because given a meat eater and vegetarian (or a vegan which is even farther across the scale), meat eaters don't complain.

Even if they dont care about eating vegetables much (like me), we'll still eat it if its there and not complain about veggie options, PETA, slaughterhouses, where we do the opposite and complain there's not enough meat entrees.

You got to respect the host buying or cooking the food. Sometimes in life I got to respect the situation and spoon some salad on my plate, even though what I really want to do is make a bee-line for a whopping plate of chicken and ribs.

Dont complain or ask for a customized plate of food. Be respectful and just eat what's there. You're not even paying for it.

And if it does come up during a lunch or something, it's usually the other side trying preach ("I believe that humans are meant to eat meat" etc. etc).
That is 100% BS. There is no chance meat eaters are more picky or preach more than vegetarians or vegans.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
Don't vegetarians need to add dietary supplements to compensate for the lack of meat to the point that some foodstuff is just fortified by the manufacturers?

We need to eat meat although the current levels of consumption in developed nations are probably unnecessary.
Most food is fortified these days. People just aren't aware. Livestock is given b12 fortified feed, to mention something. Which is funny, cause everyone's so concerned with how vegans will get their b12.
Because given a meat eater and vegetarian (or a vegan which is even farther across the scale), meat eaters don't complain.

Even if they dont care about eating vegetables much (like me), we'll still eat it if its there and not complain about veggie options, PETA, slaughterhouses, where we do the opposite and complain there's not enough meat entrees.

You got to respect the host buying or cooking the food. Sometimes in life I got to respect the situation and spoon some salad on my plate, even though what I really want to do is make a bee-line for a whopping plate of chicken and ribs.

Dont complain or ask for a customized plate of food. Be respectful and just eat what's there. You're not even paying for it.

That is 100% BS. There is no chance meat eaters are more picky or preach more than vegetarians or vegans.
So what would you do if you invited people for dinner, and you knew there were jews and muslims among them? Would you expect them to eat whatever you served, even if it was full of the stuff they don't eat? Or would you find some dish eveeyone could eat?

Maybe they should be polite and not complain, but why, really? You know what they are, is it then polite of you to invite them to a dinner that goes against their beliefs?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Most food is fortified these days. People just aren't aware. Livestock is given b12 fortified feed, to mention something. Which is funny, cause everyone's so concerned with how vegans will get their b12.

So what would you do if you invited people for dinner, and you knew there were jews and muslims among them? Would you expect them to eat whatever you served, even if it was full of the stuff they don't eat? Or would you find some dish eveeyone could eat?

Maybe they should be polite and not complain, but why, really? You know what they are, is it then polite of you to invite them to a dinner that goes against their beliefs?
No. I always make (or order) a variety of food including different meats and veggie dishes no matter what, and no matter who comes for dinner or a BBQ.

If there's a dietary issue, my food will have you covered anyway. It's just that everything served wont be what you like. But if half the stuff is good enough to eat, be happy. I'm not catering the entire dinner so only what that person wants is served.

What I dont want (and have experienced) are assholes where I got like 7 or 8 different entrees and because 2 or 3 of them are meat, the remaining 4 or 5 isn't good enough for the vegetarians. It'll go something like 2-3 carbs, 2-3 veggie, 2-3 meat.

I'm not ordering or making my entire dinner vegetarian. If a picky eater cant figure out a plate of food from the remaining stuff I have, too bad.

Last edited:
Top Bottom