• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MEATGRINDER: A DOOM, Clustertruck & Duke Nukem Inspired FPS Set On A Literal Highway to Hell (Beta)

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

MEATGRINDER is a carnage-filled first person shooter that takes place on a literal highway to Hell, where you jump from truck to truck to survive.

Playing like a blend of Clustertruck and the truck level in Prodeus, MEATGRINDER is a brutal and bombastic FPS set entirely in a rapidly moving car chase. It draws inspiration from Mad Max, The Matrix, Doom Eternal, Ultrakill, Duke Nukem and Clustertruck, and sees you hopping between vehicles as you blast bad guys and make your way to the front of the traffic.

It appears your heart has been replaced with an electric motor and you’re out to get whoever did it to you. This means that your heart needs energy to keep beating, which you can generate by keeping moving. Generate enough and you’ll heal yourself and earn random temporary abilities/weapons.

The MEATGRINDER demo takes around 15-20 minutes to play through and sees you blasting your way through 11 continuous stages. Due to the nature of the game it does run the danger of getting repetitive, but thankfully there’s a nice variety in the different areas you pass through, vehicle types, enemies, weapons and boss fights. There’s a hell of a lot going on and it’s a hell of a lot of fun, and crucially for a boomer shooter, the shotgun feels great and really packs a punch. Highly recommended.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Doesn't look that interesting to be honest and seems like another game that will fall into the development hell category like Wrath Aeon of Ruin, where it may come out long after people start giving a shit.

Business

Takes place on trucks only? Meh.

I am enjoying these retro games because I am rocking a GTX 670 at the moment but these are the only retro shooters you need to play:

Enjoyed the hell out of Prodeus so I'm definitely checking out these other two. It's a great time to be a boomer...

OZ9000

Banned
Enjoyed the hell out of Prodeus so I'm definitely checking out these other two. It's a great time to be a boomer...
Ultrakill is Doom Eternal x Devil May Cry on steroids. I admit I am awful at the game so I cannot play the game unless I downgrade the bosses to Leniant difficulty, but my god, it's so fun.

Turbo Overkill is essentially a Cyberpunk Doom Nukem game - gameplay feels absolutely fantastic. Check out the demo here:

Last edited:

Business

I tried Ion Fury but not my cup of tea to be honest. Phantom Fury looks interesting however.

I enjoyed the hell out of the Amid Evil Demo. Waiting for a Steam sale before I pick that one up.

After Prodeus I guess I got excited and got Ion Fury but yeah, it wasn't the same. It was nice to go back to the build engine, specially having toyed with it back in the day, things like going underwater and understanding you were actually teleported to another room that simulates the bottom of the pool were cool, but that was about it for me. The game itself just felt quite bland.

Last edited:

JCK75

Looks kind of shitty, and how many times is he going to say "Bang!"
What I'd love to see is for the narration to just find the craziest cracked out bum in San Francisco and just record every word that comes out of his mouth when he shoots up.
that would be epic replacement.

Orta

Banned
Had a go of the demo last night, its pretty awful. Could probably be ported to a phone tbh.

bender

What time is it?
Dusk is so good it makes every other retro shooter I've tried hard to play.

About Meat Grinder: While I think that concept could work, that trailer just misses the mark on so many aspects. The platforming isn't as frenetic as ClusterTruck and looks really imprecise (probably why there is an air dash and it often looked like he was missing the truck beds). That shotgun seems rather dull. And the voice actor...woof.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Take a look at the action-packed trailer for Meatgrinder, a chaotic and fast-paced FPS coming to PC. A demo is available now on Steam.

In Meatgrinder, use agility and guns to jump your way through insane levels on top of speeding trucks, trains, and planes.

Top Bottom