• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 11 - 17 Dec (Nintendo shows MC its Pokemans)

ethelred

Wow, really great start there for MGS: Portable Ops and Tales of the World. Excellent. I'm glad that even with its software situation as poor as it is overall, at least some really big games are able to break through and achieve the kind of sales they should be getting... that leaves me hopeful developers will still keep pushing some good projects its way.

ethelred said:
Wow, really great start there for MGS: Portable Ops and Tales of the World. Excellent. I'm glad that even with its software situation as poor as it is overall, at least some really big games are able to break through and achieve the kind of sales they should be getting... that leaves me hopeful developers will still keep pushing some good projects its way.

Kinda like the GC eh?

Good software sales for the biggies, so the big developers will still hold on to the platform.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Is Zelda at 200k yet?
It's gotta be pretty close to 1mil WW at this point...

Other than that... gooooo FF6

Pureauthor said:
Sorry, wasn't clear.

Is it a spinoff or a full-fledged sequel?
it's a proper MGS game as far as gameplay (though it's cutscenes are comic book style) that is set after MGS3. so it's only a spin off in the same way that RE:CV was a spin off.

bud

Pureauthor said:
Sorry, wasn't clear.

Is it a spinoff or a full-fledged sequel?

It's not a spin-off. It's a sequel to MGS3:SE and the story fits in between that one and MG1.

Its an MGS game and not MGA or something :p

Elios83

Bud said:
It's not a spin-off. It's a sequel to MGS3:SE and the story fits in between that one and MG1.

Its an MGS game and not MGA or something :p

Is the story on par with the PS1/PS2 episodes?

ethelred

not so
Crazy thought here...

Is Seiken Densetsu IV going to be outsold by Children of Mana?

CoM had higher launch week without benefit from big holiday software sales, and it had the sustained follow-up sales common to DS games but not to PS2 RPGs. And I realize that those are just first day sales for SD4, but considering how overshipped the game was, they're not promising.

max-pain

donny2112 said:
Famitsu Dec 4-10

1. PS2 Gundam SEED: Federation vs ZAFT II 328019 / NEW
2. PS2 Yakuza 2 281836 / NEW
3. NDS Pokemon Diamond/Pearl 151036 / 3523342
4. 360 Blue Dragon 82286 / NEW
5. WII Wii Sports 75575 / 252455
6. WII Wii Play 68053 / 239941
7. PS2 Momotarou Dentetsu 16 68041 / NEW
8. NDS Love & Berry DS 66180 / 557719
9. NDS Jump Ultimate Stars 59804 / 305354
10. NDS Hoshi no Kirby DS 54914 / 407286
11. NDS General Knowledge Training 47490 / 673460
12. NDS New Super Mario Bros. 45298 / 3480527
13. PS2 Tales of Destiny 44436 / 300724
14. NDS 1000 Healthy DS Recipes 44298 / NEW
15. NDS Brain Training 2 37866 / 3526455
16. WII Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess 36358 / 181426
17. GBA Final Fantasy VI Advance 35508 / 172599
18. NDS Animal Crossing: Wild World 32577 / 3412219
19. PS2 Yakuza (BEST) 30667 / 187689
20. WII Wario Ware: Smooth Moves 25016 / 88102
21. PS2 Brighter than Dawning Blue 22247 / NEW
22. NDS Power Pro Kun Pocket 9 21801 / NEW
23. NDS Kanji Brain 21756 / 114115
24. NDS Brain Training 20459 / 2892015
25. NDS Kirarin Star Revolution: Naasan to Issho 19798 / NEW
26. PS2 Summon Night 4 17835 / 134596
27. PS2 J-League Winning Eleven 10 + Europe League 06-07 17608 / 136737
28. NDS Tamagotchi 2 16650 / 609692
29. NDS Cooking Navi! 16023 / 622569
30. NDS Mario Kart DS 15091 / 1664994

Wow Yakuza (BEST)!

If Nintendo can ship enough units, I expect the Nintendo DS to break his record of 600k. I think that, likely, Nintendo has prepared a lot of units for the week before Christmas. Nothing under 500k in any case.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
If Nintendo can ship enough units, I expect the Nintendo DS to break his record of 600k. I think that, likely, Nintendo has prepared a lot of units for the week before Christmas. Nothing under 500k in any case.

If Nintendo could muster the supply, I would imagine they could clear way more than that in a week.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I really wonder what the ceiling would be for DS sales this week if Nintendo was able to supply them.

RaijinFY

A Link to the Snitch said:
reggie said it sold more than 120,000 copies.

Oh well, I thought you were speaking of japanese sales alone. But I remember the game kind of bombed... and I also remember Reggie saying this as well, so who knows.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Elios83 said:
Is the story on par with the PS1/PS2 episodes?

I've played about 5-6 hours now, I wouldn't say the story and presentation is quite up there with the PS1/PS2-games, but it's definitely interesting enough to hold my attention. Feels like it lacks the ambition of your typical MGS game, and instead is a more by-the-books plot. But in a way, I appreciate it since I love MGS games. It's like you're right at home with the story, parts of it feels familiar while being new. Some scenes have actually sent chills down my spine for being so awesome in that particular MGS kind of way. I guess that's proof enough that managed to catch the MGS style pretty well even with comic book style cutscenes. Even though I would prefer 'real' cutscenes, the comic book style is definitely cool and manages to make things feel alive in a great way.

jesusraz

Right, so 1000 Healthy DS Recipes managed 44,298 last week and sinobi said it's cracked 100,000 in week two, meaning a 'healthy' ~55,700 sales this time round. Not as bad a start as it may have first looked.

Perhaps it'll stick around long enough to crack 300,000-400,000. Who knows...And Cooking Navi is likely to be a Q3 2007 release in the West (if I were to guess a date following David Yarnton's basic confirmation a few months back).

Cooking Navigator UK: Cook the perfect Fish & Chips! :)

RaijinFY said:
Oh well, I thought you were speaking of japanese sales alone. But I remember the game kind of bombed... and I also remember Reggie saying this as well, so who knows.

well, he said that he was disappointed because it didn't sell 300,000 copies in its first month.

one reason why i don't think it's shipped numbers is - why would he expect 300,000. i mean, it can't be that hard to set a goal and achieve it. it would make sense that he was disappointed over sell through numbers, not shipped numbers; it would just make much more sense.

donny2112

A Link to the Snitch said:
im curious why elite beat agents couldn't have sold 100,000 copies, too.

The interview with Reggie was on the 6th. NPD came out the afternoon of the 7th. I was wondering at the time whether he meant actual sales or retailer orders.

I certainly want the game to sell by the truckloads, though. :)

Edit:
I don't think Reggie lied. I just think Reggie wasn't talking about sales to end-users. ;)

donny2112 said:
The interview with Reggie was on the 6th. NPD came out the afternoon of the 7th. I was wondering at the time whether he meant actual sales or retailer orders.

I certainly want the game to sell by the truckloads, though. :)

Edit:
I don't think Reggie lied. I just think Reggie wasn't talking about sales to end-users. ;)

The NPD numbers are estimates, not actual sales.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Link said:
I really wonder what the ceiling would be for DS sales this week if Nintendo was able to supply them.
How many japanese between 10 and 70 don't have a DS yet?

jesusraz said:
48.) Touch the Rainy Lord (??) (NDS, Nintendo) - NEW ENTRY

Can somebody describe what this is? It sounds... strange.

Masklinn said:
How many japanese between 10 and 70 don't have a DS yet?

You mean, how many Japanese between 10 and 70 don't have a DS Lite yet. :) I am sure that there are enough original DS buyers who haven't managed to get their hands on a DS Lite yet (and want to buy a DSL).

jesusraz

splattergnome said:
Can somebody describe what this is? It sounds... strange.

Here's a post from someone else about it:

48.) Touch the Rainy Lord (??) (NDS, Nintendo) - 15,000 | NEW ENTRY

I think that would be "Enjoy with touch, hyakuninshu DS; the time and rain lord". (along those lines)

With hyakuninshu being a traditional Japanese card game where someone reads out a poem and the first person to find the matching card from cards laid out on a table wins that card. Then at the end the person with the most cards wins.

...I've just checked the website and the DS reads out all the poems for you!

:)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
SpoonyBard said:
The NPD numbers are estimates, not actual sales.

Given that EB, Target, Walmart et al. are not in the practice of calling Reggie on their lunchbreaks and saying "here's a list of all the product we just moved", Reggie has no way other than sales tracking to know how many units a game has sold, and NPD is the only video game sales tracking company.

Also, the estimates are statistically accurate. Even the most skeptical individual like ioi will not assert more than a 10% under/overtrack, and for Reggie's 120K number to be accurate rather than ioi's 33.5k (which is based on NPD, scaled to include Canada/Mexico, and then scaled up a little due to ioi's belief that NPD undertracks systematically), you'd have to argue that NPD somehow undertracked by 300%, which is almost certainly impossible.

Parl

Stumpokapow said:
Given that EB, Target, Walmart et al. are not in the practice of calling Reggie on their lunchbreaks and saying "here's a list of all the product we just moved", Reggie has no way other than sales tracking to know how many units a game has sold, and NPD is the only video game sales tracking company.

Also, the estimates are statistically accurate. Even the most skeptical individual like ioi will not assert more than a 10% under/overtrack, and for Reggie's 120K number to be accurate rather than ioi's 33.5k (which is based on NPD, scaled to include Canada/Mexico, and then scaled up a little due to ioi's belief that NPD undertracks systematically), you'd have to argue that NPD somehow undertracked by 300%, which is almost certainly impossible.

"Almost certain impossible" is a huge overstatement. But something like "very likely" would be an excessive understatement.

jimbo

Banned
Great numbers for the 360. 17k is awesome for the week after BD. You know as bad as the 360 is doing in Japan, if it can keep its numbers over 10k a week from now on, it would outsell the original Xbox's LTD in Japan in roughly 6 months. It will be interesting to see if LP will help it stay around 15k this week.

jimbo said:
Great numbers for the 360. 17k is awesome for the week after BD. You know as bad as the 360 is doing in Japan, if it can keep its numbers over 10k a week from now on, it would outsell the original Xbox's LTD in Japan in roughly 6 months. It will be interesting to see if LP will help it stay around 15k this week.

The dec 11-17 week was the second or third biggest week of this whole year, so X360 obviously won't be able to sell over 10k a week for the next 6 months. It actually has a pretty good chance to come back to the ~2k per week like sales it already had for several months.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
jimbo said:
Why do you think X360 can sell more than 10k weekly from now on when it did only 17k in one of the biggest week of the year which was also the week after BD launched? And if it sells 15k this week, its not only about LP but holiday season surge in sales.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Parl said:
"Almost certain impossible" is a huge overstatement. But something like "very likely" would be an excessive understatement.

A 300% undertrack has never happened in NPD history and will never happen. In theory it isn't impossible that the guy releasing the numbers was drunk and typed ~35 instead of 120, and in theory it isn't impossible that everyone verifying the numbers was drunk too and didn't bother to check it.

It's also in theory possible that NPD is conspiring against Nintendo and trying to artificially deflate EBA's numbers.

But without getting into the realm of complete lunacy, a 300% undertrack is impossible.

Fularu

Banned
Nintendo has a special tracking program that tracks exactly what sells, when and where. They created that program in the 90ies in order to be able to give a better customer support.

If, for example, you give them your S/N for any of your hardware, they'll be able to tell you when and where you bought it. At one point, I think even Sony was sing that program to track their hardware and software sales.

GhaleonEB

starship said:
Why do you think X360 can sell more than 10k weekly from now on when it did only 17k in one of the biggest week of the year which was also the week after BD launched? And if it sells 15k this week, its not only about LP but holiday season surge in sales.
The surge didn't start until last week, when Blue Dragon shipped. Sales were 4k the week before. You could argue that lots of people were putting off their purchase of a 360 until the cheap Blue Dragon bundle hit, but I think it's pretty clear that it's Blue Dragon, not the holidays, that is predominantly driving sales.

All that said, I'm expecting a crash down to single digit thousands the week after Lost Planet hits. The only question, IMO, is whether it will be down to where the 360 was before (1-3k range) or if it will be higher. I can see a 4-8k range sustained now that the library has some genuinely great Japanese games on it. Still pretty damn weak.

Edit: The 360 has sold 52k in the past two weeks. It sold another 52k in the previous 22 weeks combined. That's a surge way above seasonality.

Branduil

starship said:

BELIEVE.

I dunno, sales are kind of boring right now because so many of the systems are constrained by supply. Things will get much more interesting once all the supply issues get sorted(well, for the DS, I'm not sure if they'll ever get supply issues sorted out).

starship

GhaleonEB said:
The surge didn't start until last week, when Blue Dragon shipped. Sales were 4k the week before. You could argue that lots of people were putting off their purchase of a 360 until the cheap Blue Dragon bundle hit, but I think it's pretty clear that it's Blue Dragon, not the holidays, that is predominantly driving sales.

All that said, I'm expecting a crash down to single digit thousands the week after Lost Planet hits. The only question, IMO, is whether it will be down to where the 360 was before (1-3k range) or if it will be higher. I can see a 4-8k range sustained now that the library has some genuinely great Japanese games on it. Still pretty damn weak.

Edit: The 360 has sold 52k in the past two weeks. It sold another 52k in the previous 22 weeks combined. That's a surge way above seasonality.
Where did I talk about Blue Dragon? BD definitely caused a surge in X360 sales during its release week with ~35k sales. I just said if X360 sells 15k this week, its not about LP but holiday season effect. Just look at Xbox sales in 2002:

02.12. - 08.12.02
Xbox 5.900

09.12. - 15.12.02
Xbox 13.400

16.12. - 22.12.02
Xbox 16.200

Its a typical surge in sales during this time of the year. Selling 15-20k is not that great some of the xbots want to represent. And fyi Xbox sales went back to 2-3k weekly in January 2003.
If X360 sells 15-20k this week, its not at all a sign that it can sell more than 10k for the next 6 months.
Also at this point its confirmed that BD had only one week effect and not more, it can't help 360 in Japan.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Stumpokapow said:

Ioi has access to NPD numbers on his own, and is allowed to post modified numbers on the internet? I thought he got his NPD numbers from here. Huh.

Deku

Banned
I'm sure Nintendo has point of sale tracking. I'm not familiar with that side of the business but Nintendo was associated with SiRAS a while ago, they help hardware manufacturers track hardware sold and what products are eligible for warranty.

ethelred

Deku said:
I'm sure Nintendo has point of sale tracking. I'm not familiar with that side of the business but Nintendo was associated with SiRAS a while ago, they help hardware manufacturers track hardware sold and what products are eligible for warranty.

Um, sure, but again, if Nintendo's seriously going to suggest the only independent retail sales tracking company's numbers are off by a factor of 4 or something like that, that's got to call Nintendo's credibility into question... not NPD's.

People should just accept that he meant shipped and not sold.

GhaleonEB

starship said:
Where did I talk about Blue Dragon?

Let me refresh your memory.

starship said:
Again, there was zero bump in sales until BD shipped. Your data supports that BD was causing a boost beyond seasonality, since the 35k and 17k are both better than the first Xbox ever surged to during the holidays.

And I'm not sure why you're breaking out all the Xbox data to begin with (which I also have) since I said I didn't expect the boost to be sustained.

me said:
All that said, I'm expecting a crash down to single digit thousands the week after Lost Planet hits.
We seem to agree. So why are you tossing this out:

you said:
Selling 15-20k is not that great some of the xbots want to represent.
....?

Matt

Deku said:
Nintendo IS SiRAS.

starship

GhaleonEB said:
Let me refresh your memory.
That means I agree about BD caused a surge in X360 sales so whats the problem?
Also about the part after bolded one, I don't think IF X360 sells 15k this week, its about Lost Planet. IF X360 sells 30k this week then its definitely because of Lost Planet but selling 15k in the third week of December is just holiday season surge. That's what I argued about in the first place.

Again, there was zero bump in sales until BD shipped. Your data supports that BD was causing a boost beyond seasonality, since the 35k and 17k are both better than the first Xbox ever surged to during the holidays.
Again when I said BD didn't surge X360 sales? I agree that it caused a surge in X360 sales in the first week and maybe it had a little bit effect in the second week!? But thats it.

We seem to agree. So why are you tossing this out:

....?
I was talking about jimbo who I did argue with in the first place. He said 17k is just awesome while its barely better than what Xbox did in the comparable week in 2002. He said if X360 sells 15k this week it means it gained momentum while Xbox sold 16,200 units in a slower week in 2002, so what momentum?
Also its good to mention the week which ends with 17th Dec. is bigger than the week which ends with 15th, so can we agree BD had little to zero effect in the second week?
Xbox in 2002 - 13,400 - week ending Dec. 15th
X360 in 2006 - 17,100 - week ending Dec. 17th

Top Bottom