• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 30 Jan ~ 5 Feb

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
AniHawk said:
I wonder how much Nintendo will have at launch.

I'm guessing around 250k or so.

no i think they re anticipating much more than that, going by the numbers we saw at the end of last years easter season

+Aliken+

They can play on the fact that people are probably waiting for thier DS because of the shortages and will therefore jump on the Lite train.

gopher

Banned
AniHawk said:
I wonder how much Nintendo will have at launch.

I'm guessing around 250k or so.

No way in hell. They have to have enough DSLs (God I hate that abbreviation) for the customers that tried to get one in the last 6 or so weeks, and then they have to make sure all the "early adaptors" will get one was well. I'd say 500-600,000 would be a fair bet, and then it still would sell out in its launch week.

AniHawk

sp0rsk said:
no i think they re anticipating much more than that, going by the numbers we saw at the end of last years easter season
Well, just for launch. Obviously more days later, with huge shipments each week.

Dunno how long Nintendo has been producing 'em.

Also, I'm just recalling the GBA SP launch. It was around that much, I believe. Guess the two aren't really comparable.

These may be my messiest charts yet, as there's just so much to show. Last week I was giving percentages for how various sales have changed from last year, but this time I decided to show it visually. Here are the YTD values for the various systems through the first five weeks of this year and last, with last years' numbers displayed as dotted lines.
20060209mediacreateytdyoy1.png

And a zoom in to better see those lesser systems.
20060209mediacreateytdyoy2.png

And now to ludicrous close-up, for GBA and Xbox.
20060209mediacreateytdyoy3.png

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Sales figures are getting boring. Nintendo's is fucking the competition and no one is selling shit again.

I can't believe Tourist Trophy had a slow start like that. It has been defined by a lot of people as the refinement of Gran Turismo.

LMAO Sony is so fucked with the PSP in Japan.

They can barely outsell the DS when there's massive shortages.

Nintendo could sell upwards of 1 million DS Lite's on the first weekend if they can make that many. Yes, bigger than even the PS2 launch.

If I'm Iwata I'm pushing the manufacturer's to open as many lines to get as many DS Lite's mass produced as possible.

"I can't believe Tourist Trophy had a slow start like that. It has been defined by a lot of people as the refinement of Gran Turismo."

i think it could never be nearly as popular as gran turismo simply based on the fact that most people are way more interested in cars than motorcycles.
i think this makes the quality or lack of quality not matter as much.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Taker666 said:
Hardware:

PSP: 25,905 (285,276)
DS: 25,321 (341,579)
PS2: 24,780 (195,456)
GBASP: 5649 (46,933)
GBM: 3199 (29,654)
Xbox 360: 2194 (21,370)
GC: 2138 (28,552)
GBA: 115 (1328)
Xbox: 101 (587)

Next Generation

It's sad... Who's still buying the original GBA? I feel bad for the kid whose parent brings it home and sees it's not an SP. I think the micro would probably have sold a lot better if it was BC with Gameboy and GBC games. At least I think it would outsell the SP.

cvxfreak

Cheebs said:
PSP and PS2 are by no means neck and neck with DS. Shortages are the exception to the rule. Do you really expect either system to come close to DS at all during the year after the shortage crisis is over?

DS is over 100k higher this year than both when there has been shortages every week but one.

I was talking tongue-in-cheek. :p

GreenGlowingGoo said:
It's sad... Who's still buying the original GBA? I feel bad for the kid whose parent brings it home and sees it's not an SP. I think the micro would probably have sold a lot better if it was BC with Gameboy and GBC games. At least I think it would outsell the SP.

I think the micro's price is hurting it, too. It's 3000 Yen less than the DS, and 2800 Yen more expensive than the GBASP.

Likewise, I'm sure people are buying the original GBA in Japan merely because it's around $20 or so there these days.

lachesis

Ryu ga gotoku is still holding pretty well - it's #8 in PS2 list even though it's a 2 months old, if I didn't count wrong. :)

mutsu

Notable DS sales total from Famitsu :

Young Brain Training - 1,139,636
Tamagotchi DS - 969,746
Mario & Luigi RPG 2 - 313,576
Nintendogs (all versions) - 1,113,038
Daredemo Azobi Taizen - 411,440
Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon - 664,527
Bio Hazard - Deadly Silence - 26,979

cvxfreak

mutsu said:
Notable DS sales total from Famitsu :

Young Brain Training - 1,139,636
Tamagotchi DS - 969,746
Mario & Luigi RPG 2 - 313,576
Nintendogs (all versions) - 1,113,038
Daredemo Azobi Taizen - 411,440
Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon - 664,527
Bio Hazard - Deadly Silence - 26,979

Almost there Tamagotchi.

Biohazard :(

AniHawk

Actually REDS has been moving really well. We sold 9 in two days. We sold a lot of Mega Man Maverick Hunter Xes within a week (all eight of them).

so what is the actual launch record?
400,000? More?
I think if they can get 600,000 units to stores 500,000 sales is possible with the current demand for a DS, and then those with one wanting a new one!

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
DefectiveReject said:
I think if they can get 600,000 units to stores 500,000 sales is possible with the current demand for a DS, and then those with one wanting a new one!

Yeah I bet those sweatshop factories are crapping out DSL faster than the rats are crapping out little rattlets in their basements

Koren

Kon Tiki said:
shouka_high.gif

Does that mean 'Steal this game'?

shouka_low.gif
IIRC, this refers to stocks of the games. So it's not the quantity of games sold, but rather linked to the percentage of units sold wit respect to the shipments.

The first one says the stocks are low in the shops, the second one that there's still plently available, I think.

Top Bottom