• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 11, 2015 (Mar 09 - Mar 15)

lol oh boy. DQXI that makes sense to me. That's if they want to give the franchise another push in the west. Especially when you consider how SQ are positioning the PS4 as their go to console this gen. All the talk of people wanting everything on PS4 reminds me of the exact same rhetoric that was being spewed in favour of 3DS in these very threads 1 year or so ago. I guess it made more sense because 3DS was killing the competition, but still. Lets all be friends. Nothing wrong with hoping unannounced games are on your platform of choice!

OT: I'm hoping Digimon s doing well. Haven't really followed the thread but I was hoping for higher initial sales? I'm about 11 hours into the game and I'm delighted with how good it is. Persona + Pokemon w/ Danganronpa Music and a Digimon Story skin. Aw yisss. Really hope it does well for Bandai Namco.

Regarding west, I don't see PS4 making DQ bigger. And I think they would want first and foremost get great sales from Japan.

I'd like to see some more concrete evidences on this. PS4 has yet to prove to be a jRPG machine in the West. Also, DQ on the most successful platform in the West for jRPGs barely sold a million, and it sold also a million on DS, which was also popular among jRPG fans.

SE certainly believes it is. Type 0 Hd has released this month as well.

the smell of a new DQ platform shift is way stronger than before. Not only DQH signed a first after years, but there are also Hori's sentences about the big screen and the fact that they are entertaining the crowd waiting for DQXI with DQH. Seeing the already announced DQM game landing elsewhere but 3DS would not be a good sign toward further DQ support on 3DS in my opinion.
I could be wrong, we'll see, but also the localization issues for 3DS games in the West don't play a good role in the Nintendo-SE relationship over this franchise imho.

I can see two scenarios right now:

3DS + PS3/4
PS3/4

DQM is definitely a 3DS title considering its never going to get localised and 100% sales come from Japan.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
How about you read your own post lol :p

Well he is talking about a proof - and we dont have it, FF was always to be on Playstation. That DQ can and will be more successful on PS4 compared to other system on the market is a whole different story.

But as said it doesnt really matter how much it would sell on 3DS etc. if the goal from the start was to create a higher end, story focused console Anniversary entry. They made the call years ago knowing that the 3DS would probably sell very well and be more popular than every home console in Japan.

How about you read your own post lol :p

I know what I wrote. I just don't think having FF means being a jRPG machine, in particular nowadays. DQ is way more nicher than FF in the West, and on a "FF platform" such as PS2 a mainline entry sold "just" 1m over here; when FF wasn't present, a mainline entry was still able to pull over a million (DQIX on DS).

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
SE certainly believes it is. Type 0 Hd has released this month as well.

I can see two scenarios right now:

3DS + PS3/4
PS3/4

DQM is definitely a 3DS title considering its never going to get localised and 100% sales come from Japan.

You can't point at FF Type 0 HD to say that DQ on PS4 is a lock imho.
Btw, me too I struggle to see DQXI as a PS4 esxclusive, while for DQM I'd say that mobile is still an option (they released the last one on mobile, in fact)

Well he is talking about a proof - and we dont have it, FF was always to be on Playstation. That DQ can and will be more successful on PS4 compared to other system on the market is a whole different story.

But as said it doesnt really matter how much it would sell on 3DS etc. if the goal from the start was to create a higher end, story focused console Anniversary entry. They made the call years ago knowing that the 3DS would probably sell very well and be more popular than every home console in Japan.

If FF Type 0 HD sells well on PS4 then there is at least some proof of an audience that enjoys the genre. Obviously the JRPG's are not going to sell on the same scale a FF but that doesn't mean there will not be overlap. The nearest example after that is probably Persona 5.

Furthermore these decisions have been made years ago, before any so called proof has yet to been shown. Why do you think SE is focusing so much on PS4 despite there being no previous examples of JRPG releases on the platform?

Thats is not what I said.

I know what I wrote. I just don't think having FF means being a jRPG machine, in particular nowadays. DQ is way more nicher than FF in the West, and on a "FF platform" such as PS2 a mainline entry sold "just" 1m over here; when FF wasn't present, a mainline entry was still able to pull over a million (DQIX on DS).

Having FF platform inevitably creates a base of jrpg players.....a massive base at that. They may not all be interested in the other jrpgs but you certainly have a multi million base that are willing to buy into the genre. Really we are saying FF because its the nearest release. You'll see better once Persona 5 comes out.

Btw, me too I struggle to see DQXI as a PS4 esxclusive, while for DQM I'd say that mobile is still an option (they released the last one on mobile, in fact)

Companies don't typically launch another full-fledged game in the same series as long as the previous one tops the chart. DQM is still making bank on iOS so if the new DQM is a new game than it won't be on mobile; if it's an "expansion" or whatever, it might be.

cw_sasuke

DQM is a service on mobile and still going strong and get updates regular - they dont need another mobile installment anytime soon when they can keep updating the current one. Next DQM/Joker title should be on 3DS.

If FF Type 0 HD sells well on PS4 then there is at least some proof of an audience that enjoys the genre. Obviously the JRPG's are not going to sell on the same scale a FF but that doesn't mean there will not be overlap. The nearest example after that is probably Persona 5.

Furthermore these decisions have been made years ago, before any so called proof has yet to been shown. Why do you think SE is focusing so much on PS4 despite there being no previous examples of JRPG releases on the platform?

Well...i pointed out in my post that these decisions have been made years ago. FF XV selling okay doesnt mean much for DQ lets be honest, they are putting all their games on PS4 of course there will be some synergy effects ...but nothing that will magically make DQ bigger in the west than it ever was.

Just being on PS4 or in HD doesnt mean there is more sales potential compared to PS2, DS and co. Also i would argue that the overlap between other turn based rpgs like Pokemon, Bravely Default, SMT and DQ fans is probably higher as well.

Having FF platform inevitably creates a base of jrpg players.....a massive base at that. They may not all be interested in the other jrpgs but you certainly have a multi million base that are willing to buy into the genre. Really we are saying FF because its the nearest release. You'll see better once Persona 5 comes out.

"Inevitably"? PS1 also got DQ, and that didn't go too well in North America. DQIX sold well (the best in Japan and worldwide) without DS having a mainline FF entry.

"Inevitably"? PS1 also got DQ, and that didn't go too well in North America. DQIX sold well (the best in Japan and worldwide) without DS having a mainline FF entry.

DS had plenty of notable jrpgs like KH and Pokemon. Talking about the West here btw. DQ alreayd has a massive dedicated following in Japan.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

I know, I was just pointing out that I don't look at THAT FF at all, period, to gain any kind of indication about DQ brand.

Companies don't typically launch another full-fledged game in the same series as long as the previous one tops the chart. DQM is still making bank on iOS so if the new DQM is a new game than it won't be on mobile; if it's an "expansion" or whatever, it might be.

DQM is a service on mobile and still going strong and get updates regular - they dont need another mobile installment anytime soon when they can keep updating the current one. Next DQM/Joker title should be on 3DS.

And maybe that's the reason why after having pre-announced that game, it completely desappeared from any radar for...don't know, a year maybe?

a blockbuster title announced in next Famitsu DS/Wii?

Animal Crossing for Wii U, winter release

if the extract we saw is real, they say: "What can give a boost to 3DS and Wii U aside Mario?"

Don't know if this should be read as a multiplatform release, but they don't talk specifically of the Wii U.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
YSO predictions

Week 13, 2015 (Mar 23 - Mar 29)

[PS4] Bloodborne < 180k
[PSV] Sword Art Online: Lost Song < 130k
[PS3] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 < 120k
[PS4] Disgaea 5 < 40k
[PS3+PSV] Pro Baseball Spirits 2015 < 100k

noobie

Banned

have we got any numbers for FF-Type-0 first week sales? Sorry been a bit out of touch.

YSO predictions

[PS4] Bloodborne < 180k
[PS4] Disgaea 5 < 40k

I was hoping for 200k for Bloodborne. Doesnt look to happen now.. But with Amazon charting it looks to be doing pretty good in USA atleast.

And maybe that's the reason why after having pre-announced that game, it completely desappeared from any radar for...don't know, a year maybe?

What should be the reasons...? I'm honestly asking because I don't see any connections in what we two were saying.

FFCC:RoF disappeared for about 3 years after being released on DS; the same for FFCC:CB on Wii. It's not that it's something new in SQEX. Also, the game was not "pre-announced"; the team only said they were working on a new entry.

DS had plenty of notable jrpgs like KH and Pokemon. Talking about the West here btw. DQ alreayd has a massive dedicated following in Japan.

3DS has Pokémon and KH as well.

cw_sasuke

I think they are just focusing on DQ Heroes and Theatrythm for now, the games hitting this fiscal year. They also might wait a bit figuring out the best release date outside of the Ykai Watch window...maybe fall if Pokemon skips this year and YW3 is summer again.

Bruno MB

YSO predictions

[PS4] Bloodborne < 180k
[PS4] Disgaea 5 < 40k

From over 600k units to probably just barely 100k in the span of 3 years, that's my Bamco!

I don't think Nippon Ichi Software will be around for too long, at least when it comes to traditional gaming consoles.

noobie

Banned
From over 600k units to probably just barely 100k in the span of 3 years, that's my Bamco!

I don't think Nippon Ichi Software will be around for too long, at least when it comes to traditional gaming consoles.

Whats the cause of this? quality or series fatigue? or lack of marketing, co-marketing?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
What should be the reasons...? I'm honestly asking because I don't see any connections in what we two were saying.

I think they are just focusing on DQ Heroes and Theatrythm for now, the games hitting this fiscal year. They also might wait a bit figuring out the best release date outside of the Ykai Watch window...maybe fall if Pokemon skips this year and YW3 is summer again.

Maybe they announced it, than the mobile service skyrocketed and now are waiting to understand how to properly manage it, in order to not cannibalize the sales.
I'm not saying that it will be mobile 100%, but I don't understand how people can rule mobile out for sure, betting everything on 3DS.

There are PSV and PS4 versions. It will be a 200-250k first week.

I wonder why there was such a huge decline. I know that the first episode was criticized a lot (don't remember why), and so the second was was hurt, but I also remember that the second episode was better received by the critics, so...probably "just" brand (One pipece xc Musou) fatigue?

cw_sasuke

Maybe they announced it, than the mobile service skyrocketed and now are waiting to understand how to properly manage it, in order to not cannibalize the sales.
I'm not saying that it will be mobile 100%, but I don't understand how people can rule mobile out for sure, betting everything on 3DS.

The game wasnt announced though - just teased by Producers during a DQM related fan event. It will be announced this year and will release soon after it, just like previous 3DS DQ titles.

casiopao

YSO predictions

[PS4] Bloodborne < 180k
[PS4] Disgaea 5 < 40k

GG Nis. Hope u will survive at least this console generation.T_T

I hear this argument often - but which data suggests that a PS4 DQ would vastly outsell a 3DS DQ title ? Or even a WiiU RPG published/promoted by Nintendo ? I think with DQ 11 the goal was to create a "high end", "console spec" title from the beginning, since there were a bunch of vocal fans hoping for another DQ8 type for RPG for console and its Anniversary title so Horii and co. wanna go all out as long as they still can.

If its hitting only the PS4 its because of the weak competition and the system being the defacto console to own. I expect the 3DS to get another mayor DQ title in addition to the next Monsters title...something like a Remake/Re-imagining of the first DQ trilogy.

I never said anything about a PS4 Dragon Quest outselling a 3DS one. I'm just saying it makes sense given what Horii has said, the way Square Enix seem to be positioning in the PS4, how well its selling etc. That's all. And you seem to agree with me judging from your reply lol

I'd like to see some more concrete evidences on this. PS4 has yet to prove to be a jRPG machine in the West. Also, DQ on the most successful platform in the West for jRPGs barely sold a million, and it sold also a million on DS, which was also popular among jRPG fans.

See above. You talk at me as if its an impossibility. It isn't. I'd quite happily buy DQ XI on 3DS. I enjoyed the DS remakes, IX and the remake of VII. But, whether it's multiplatform or exclusive, I wouldn't find it shocking if DQ XI ended up on PS4.

If Horii says the next game will be on a console, then he's certainly not talking about 3DS now is he?

They actually specifically said in the interview that overseas support was a factor of jumping to PS4 so early. He said more than half of their sales come from overseas markets in the Famitsu interview

From the NIS thread.

FFCC:RoF disappeared for about 3 years after being released on DS; the same for FFCC:CB on Wii. It's not that it's something new in SQEX. Also, the game was not "pre-announced"; the team only said they were working on a new entry.

3DS has Pokémon and KH as well.

Sure but if we look at the platforms in the West at that time DS was doing incredibly well and PS3 was doing badly. Now the PS4 is doing incredibly well and the 3DS is waning. If SE wants to look at growth in the West then I can see why they want to put it on PS4. It will be a platform that receives notable jrpgs whilst also being one that is more popular and quickly growing.

From the NIS thread.

Sure but if we look at the platforms in the West at that time DS was doing incredibly well and PS3 was doing badly. Now the PS4 is doing incredibly well and the 3DS is waning. If SE wants to look at growth in the West then I can see why they want to put it on PS4. It will be a platform that receives notable jrpgs whilst also being one that is more popular and quickly growing.

Then again, Square Enix wont trade Japan for Western sales about DQ.
But I think it could follow the same scheme as DQH. PS3 version and PS4 versions, but PS4 exclusive in West.
Even thought, except for 3DS, I dont see any platform which have games which sold more than 2m in Japan.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
around 180 first week for Bloodborn should still be very positive imho. we are looking at a mid-range "series" on a platform still in its early stages in terms of install base. If the debut will be around 200k, I'm expecting a very strong bump for the hw for PS4

Then again, Square Enix wont trade Japan for Western sales about DQ.
But I think it could follow the same scheme as DQH. PS3 version and PS4 versions, but PS4 exclusive in West.
Even thought, except for 3DS, I dont see any platform which have games which sold more than 2m in Japan.

Exactly. PS3/4 is a work around to that problem but still I'm not too confident hence me thinking its either PS3/4 or PS3/4 + 3DS.

around 180 first week for Bloodborn should still be very positive imho. we are looking at a mid-range "series" on a platform still in its early stages in terms of install base. If the debut will be around 200k, I'm expecting a very strong bump for the hw for PS4

Sony should of done a Bloodborne LE instead a Type 0 one -___-

GunBR

I still think that DQ XI will be a 3DS exclusive

But some people in this thread are forgetting that the game will sell at least 2 million in Japan even if it is an XBone exclusive

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

But some people in this thread are forgetting that the game will sell at least 2 million in Japan even if it is an XBone exclusive

DQ XI will won't sell more than 3 million if it's a PS4 exclusive and now it will sell more than 2 million on XB1.

duckroll

Whats the cause of this? quality or series fatigue? or lack of marketing, co-marketing?

Could just be the first entry being incredibly inflated. It might not be fatigue as it is traditionally seen, or even a sign of the (lack of) quality. Definitely not lack of marketing. Just because you can get people to buy a lot of one game, does not automatically mean that you can retain the entire audience for future entries. Especially for a semi-annualized series.

Series fatigue only applies if a franchise consistently sells a certain amount, and then starts seeing sharper declines later on. An example of this would be the Layton series or the Inazuma series. Gran Turismo also exhibits this syndrome, but that could also be genre fatigue, with Japanese audiences being less interested in full price racing games.

With One Piece Musou it seems likely given the given the figures that there are probably about 300-400k worth of buyers who are really into it. A lot of the sales in the first entry were probably people who don't regularly buy Musou games or One Piece games, but liked the idea of One Piece being made into a big Musou title. They tried it out, and that was enough for them.

According to the report, Horii announced that they&#8217;re currently working on the development of Dragon Quest XI, as the series nears its 30th anniversary (in 2016,) and he wants it to be played on the big screen.

He reiterated his previous statement that it is not being for mobile devices, but he also added that it&#8217;s also not being made for handheld consoles, but they&#8217;re currently developing it for the home console.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/06/12/dragon-quest-xi-development-will-made-home-consoles/

EDIT: The only problem with this is that, for some reason I remember him saying he'd LIKE it to be on home consoles, rather than it is specifically being made for home consoles. But, still.

I agree >_<

I've never heard of this interpretation. Actually, I'd say that the last sentence is simply false.

Yeah I'm not sure about it. Since I remember him saying he'd 'like it to be played on a home console'. I'll gladly pull the quote though if its erroneous. My point really is to illustrate that, the possibility that it will appear on a console in some form is definitely there. We just can't say for sure yet.

Kyoufu

Its going to be interesting to see what the PS4's LTD is by the time DQXI comes out.

Assuming it's released by December 2016, probably around 4 million. FFXV and a price drop should be in effect by then.

I wonder if Nintendo's next handheld will be announced by then.

Eolz

YSO predictions

[PS4] Bloodborne < 180k
[PS4] Disgaea 5 < 40k

Pretty good for Bloodborne. Pretty bad for 1P and Disgaea...

GG Nis. Hope u will survive at least this console generation.T_T

I don't think they will if they think going PS4+Vita only will be the same as when the PS3 was alive and well, even with Sony giving some marketing support.
They're going to have to try to build an audience on other platforms (3ds, mobile) if they want to do well in Japan. If they don't want to, they're going to have to make some games that are more appealing for western audiences...

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Yeah I'm not sure about it. Since I remember him saying he'd 'like it to be played on a home console'. I'll gladly pull the quote though if its erroneous. My point really is to illustrate that, the possibility that it will appear on a console in some form is definitely there. We just can't say for sure yet.

My recollection is that he only talked about a big screen experience. He hasn't really specified anything about platforms other than ruling out smartphones.

Yep.
Of course, DQXI being on home is more than a possibility, looking at latest sentences, but we are still not sure 100%

Atram

reading here, sounds like People expect that a Mainline DQ would sell more than the 1m in the West because of the succes of the PS4.

I think we all know that DQ PS4 would only be for Prestige and not for sales because it would be the worst selling Main DQ WW (excluding DQX because MMO) since pre DQVII Times.

Sandfox

Assuming it's released by December 2016, probably around 4 million. FFXV and a price drop should be in effect by then.

I wonder if Nintendo's next handheld will be announced by then.

That sounds kinda high to me but I guess its dependent on what other SW the PS4 gets.

test_account

XP-39C²
ho, of course.
Like Dragon Quest XI. And Bayonetta 3. And Half-Life 3.

Every game from now on will be on PS4, because it is the only platform that makes sense.
Obviously.
I dont think anyone have claimed that. Most people seems to think that Dragon Quest XI will be multiplatform based on some comments from the director(?). For Bayonetta 3 and Half Life 3, the PS4 would probably be the best choice in Japan. For worldwide, multiplatform would be the best choice, especially for Half Life 3.

Is there any other SRPG franchises to even compare Disgaea against?

From what I can see, they are the last game in town. Too bad their sales aren't what they deserve. Love the disgaea franchise. only fall off was 3 for me. 1-2-4 were amazing.

Kyoufu

Is there any other SRPG franchises to even compare Disgaea against?

From what I can see, they are the last game in town. Too bad their sales aren't what they deserve. Love the disgaea franchise. only fall off was 3 for me. 1-2-4 were amazing.

Fire Emblem?

Top Bottom