• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 12, 2015 (Mar 16 - Mar 22)

If the rumors about why the staff left are true, then I do not think the industry needs companies like NIS at all.

Hey duck, think you can elaborate on this? I remember reading a lot of similar sentiments, but nothing super specific.

Granted, I never dug very far, but.

duckroll

Back when the first rumors circulated that there was a staff exodus at NIS, before it was made official and before the ex-Disgaea staff announced their new project for Idea Factory, there were additional rumors from the same source (iirc) that it was over a dispute regarding how NIS was handling their long time employees. Stuff like the shell companies which were set up for tax overtime pay reasons (a few years back NIS started up a bunch of subsidiaries for each "team" in the company, even though they continued working in the same offices) being disbanded and the employees being absorbed back into NIS proper but being told that their salaries would revert to that of fresh hires.

Obviously, no idea if this is completely true, they are anonymous sources who posted on 2ch, but when it came to light that the exodus was real and nobody really wanted to talk about the details, it's clear there's no smoke without a fire. NISA folks had also left the company and are behind the new Idea Factory International stuff, which took a lot of business away from NISA.

Edit: I posted about this way back: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=688013

HGH

Banned
I don't know how this'd work, but I'd assume NISA would just rebrand themselves and keep doing work as localizers since a couple of companies have vested interest in business with them. I don't see SpikeChunsoft or KoeiTecmo suddenly going to XSeed(although I'd love them to get the extra business) or IFI for example.

AniHawk

Obviously, no idea if this is completely true, they are anonymous sources who posted on 2ch, but when it came to light that the exodus was real and nobody really wanted to talk about the details, it's clear there's no smoke without a fire. NISA folks had also left the company and are behind the new Idea Factory International stuff, which took a lot of business away from NISA.

i have a feeling that idea factory international was part of the japanese exodus. i think it was set up partially because of bad blood between nis and idea factory. the ex-nisa factor is sort of a coincidence and partially convenience, i imagine. in the us, it's very different. the people within the southern california localization studios are pretty friendly with each other and professionally, at least nisa, xseed, and atlus all seem to get along.

I don't know how this'd work, but I'd assume NISA would just rebrand themselves and keep doing work as localizers since a couple of companies have vested interest in business with them. I don't see SpikeChunsoft or KoeiTecmo suddenly going to XSeed(although I'd love them to get the extra business) or IFI for example.

i could see nisa becoming more like aksys, but honestly, i think there might be a japanese studio or two that might have a vested interest in a localization team of their own that's been pretty established and can do all the things nisa can do. koei tecmo seems like a pretty big one. kadokawa might be rather interested in something like that too. bandai namco would be sort of an outside shot.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
YSO predictions

Week 14, 2015 (Mar 30 - Apr 05)

[3DS] Xenoblade Chronicles 3D |new 3DS| < 50k

YSO predictions are realiable, imho, but it's still depressing seeing a very good received (by critics and public, with high sales for used market and such a great nomea) seeing almost ignored on a 19million-like install base.

hongcha

YSO predictions are realiable, imho, but it's still depressing seeing a very good received (by critics and public, with high sales for used market and such a great nomea) seeing almost ignored on a 19million-like install base.

It's an N3DS exclusive. The install base is only around 1.7 million.

random25

Not all of the 19M userbase has N3DS though. And late ports tend to not sell as much as the early version of the game in most cases.

i could see nisa becoming more like aksys, but honestly, i think there might be a japanese studio or two that might have a vested interest in a localization team of their own that's been pretty established and can do all the things nisa can do. koei tecmo seems like a pretty big one. kadokawa might be rather interested in something like that too. bandai namco would be sort of an outside shot.

BN actually own D3, so having a 3rd publishing house seems redundant. Then again D3 haven't localized a BN game in a while have they? They did Blue Dragon: Awakened Shadow on DS and Gods Eater Burst on PSP... what else?

It opened at sub-100k on Wii IIRC and as mentioned it's N3DS only. It was always going to perform like this, regardless of how great it is.

Which kind of sales were you expecting of the porting of a 200k seller on a 1.7m platform? If the game is well-received, it might have some kind of legs, and selling through the Golden Week.

duckroll

i have a feeling that idea factory international was part of the japanese exodus. i think it was set up partially because of bad blood between nis and idea factory. the ex-nisa factor is sort of a coincidence and partially convenience, i imagine. in the us, it's very different. the people within the southern california localization studios are pretty friendly with each other and professionally, at least nisa, xseed, and atlus all seem to get along.

It's definitely related to the Japanese exodus imo, I wasn't implying that the employees in the US branches weren't on good terms, but rather that the Japanese management who were running NISA at one point basically bailed out to help Idea Factory set up IFI and take work away from NISA. I don't know anything about the politics here, but based on what we've seen happened, that would be my conclusion.

PREDICTION LEAGUE APRIL 2015

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Mar 30 to Apr 26):
[PS4] Hardware (28 days) - 90k
[PS3+PSV] Super Robot Wars Z III Tengoku Hen (25 days) - 270k
[3DS] Xenoblade Chronicles (25 days) - 75k
[3DS] Bravely Second (4 days) - 130k
[PS4] Hyperdimension Neptunia V II (4 days) - 18k

AniHawk

It's definitely related to the Japanese exodus imo, I wasn't implying that the employees in the US branches weren't on good terms, but rather that the Japanese management who were running NISA at one point basically bailed out to help Idea Factory set up IFI and take work away from NISA. I don't know anything about the politics here, but based on what we've seen happened, that would be my conclusion.

not exactly. when i say people were on good terms in north america, they were really on good terms. a lot of people within nisa were good friends and the president was well respected there. i don't think that the nisa pres wanted to take work away from nisa as that would have hurt several of his own hires. after starting preapp, i think he basically helped build a bridge between nisa and idea factory a little while longer even though the situation in japan between nis and idea factory seemed to have deteriorated. that part is just my guess though.

edit: derp. yeah i see what you mean now. there was definitely an incentive on idea factory's part to move away, but ex-nisa folk smoothed the transition. nisa being able to release a neptunia compilation in 2015 in europe is probably owed in large part to that sort of relationship.

DrWong

[PS4] Hardware (28 days) - 76K
[PS3+PSV] Super Robot Wars Z III Tengoku Hen (25 days) - 289K
[3DS] Xenoblade Chronicles (25 days) - 99K
[3DS] Bravely Second (4 days) - 137K
[PS4] Hyperdimension Neptunia V II (4 days) - 24K

AniHawk

BN actually own D3, so having a 3rd publishing house seems redundant. Then again D3 haven't localized a BN game in a while have they? They did Blue Dragon: Awakened Shadow on DS and Gods Eater Burst on PSP... what else?

d3 doesn't even localize their own games recently. xseed's doing onechanbara. they used to publish cartoon network games too but little orbit takes care of that now.

Orgen

Predictions

[PS4] Hardware (28 days) - 96.000
[PS3+PSV] Super Robot Wars Z III Tengoku Hen (25 days) - 321.000
[3DS] Xenoblade Chronicles (25 days) - 118.000
[3DS] Bravely Second (4 days) - 164.000
[PS4] Hyperdimension Neptunia V II (4 days) - 47.000

Pezus

I'm super optimistic. :p

Except for Super Robot. 75k combined...wat??

Mine:

[PS4] Hardware (28 days) - 95K
[PS3+PSV] Super Robot Wars Z III Tengoku Hen (25 days) - 330K
[3DS] Xenoblade Chronicles (25 days) - 75K
[3DS] Bravely Second (4 days) - 135K
[PS4] Hyperdimension Neptunia V II (4 days) - 25K

Eolz

[PS4] Hardware (28 days) - 81k
[PS3+PSV] Super Robot Wars Z III Tengoku Hen (25 days) - 274k
[3DS] Xenoblade Chronicles (25 days) - 83k
[3DS] Bravely Second (4 days) - 165k
[PS4] Hyperdimension Neptunia V II (4 days) - 22k​

God Eater series total sales surpassed 3 million copies.
https://www.jp.playstation.com/blog/detail/336/20150330_ge2rb.html

Japanltdrank:

PSP : God Eater ( Bandai Namco ) { 04/02/2010 } -       276,104 / 617,828
PSP : God Eater Burst ( Bandai Namco ) { 28/10/2010 } -       267,178 / 458,490
PSV : God Eater 2 ( Bandai Namco ) { 14/11/2013 } -       258,826 / 393,531
PSV : God Eater 2: Rage Burst ( Bandai Namco ) { 19/02/2015 } -       221,076 / 280,473
PSP : God Eater 2 ( Bandai Namco ) { 14/11/2013 } -       119,620 / 206,388
PSP : God Eater Burst [PSP the Best] ( Bandai Namco ) { 15/09/2011 } -           3,602 / 86,785
PS4 : God Eater 2: Rage Burst ( Bandai Namco ) { 19/02/2015 } -         31,823 / 41,774
PSP : God Eater Burst [PSP the Best 2nd Print] ( Bandai Namco ) { 06/06/2013 } -           2,376 / 6,387
PSV : God Eater 2 [PlayStation Vita the Best] ( Bandai Namco ) { 10/07/2014 } -           2,511 / 2,511

Total: 2,094,167

Western sales are not as bad as I thought they would be.

Takao

Banned
Only God Eater Burst on PSP was localized into English and there is no way it did nearly 1 million, lol. I imagine the majority of that missing chunk is unreported legs + digital + (non-Japan) Asia.

[PS4] Hardware (28 days) - 90k
[PS3+PSV] Super Robot Wars Z III Tengoku Hen (25 days) - 250k
[3DS] Xenoblade Chronicles (25 days) - 120k
[3DS] Bravely Second (4 days) - 100k
[PS4] Hyperdimension Neptunia V II (4 days) - 25k​

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
YSO predictions

Week 14, 2015 (Mar 30 - Apr 05)

[PSV] 3rd Super Robot Wars Z: Tengoku-Hen < 140k
[PS3] 3rd Super Robot Wars Z: Tengoku-Hen < 130k
[3DS] Xenoblade Chronicles 3D |new 3DS| < 50k

If it's really that low, I guess Xenoblade Chronicles Wii U could outsell it? *Crosses fingers*

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Predictions

[PS4] Hardware (28 days) - 78.901
[PS3+PSV] Super Robot Wars Z III Tengoku Hen (25 days) - 345.678
[3DS] Xenoblade Chronicles (25 days) - 89.012
[3DS] Bravely Second (4 days) - 123.456
[PS4] Hyperdimension Neptunia V II (4 days) - 23.456

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Is the shipment up to today or up to Sunday? Given they announced it today, I believe it's up to today, but maybe it's actually up to Sunday.

mao2

Just to add a bit. Sell-through is 80~90%, download version sold over 10K copies.

I think someone will be disappointed with this news. :p

LOL.

Also, Marvelous made an apology with its Pre-order bonus. It had a huge-ass mistake that is quite serious.
They got Jasmin's three sizes wrong.

Top Bottom