• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 17, 2015 (Apr 20 - Apr 26)

L~A

Pretty happy about XCX, was expecting something closer to 70k than 90k.

About Media Create (and Famitsu), they might release the numbers at 10PM JST (3PM CET / 9AM EDT / 6AM PDT). Last week, Media Create gave a precise time (midnight), but they didn't this time so I assume they're going to have the numbers at the "usual" time.

Soul Lab

XenoX did better than I expected, which makes me happy.
Also what Aostia said, it seems like XenoX does better than Xeno (relatively ofc)

random25

Pretty good sales for Xenoblade X. Not the best you'd want it to be, but still pretty positive with a 70% sell-through rate 1st week. I predict it'll be eclipsing the 100k mark on retail next week.

Dengeki numbers include bundles, correct? I wonder how well it also sold on the e-shop.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
RIP in peace Bravely.

What are you guys expecting out of Xenoblade in the West? "Saving grace" feels like kind of a long distance.

For P&D I maintain my previous position that most who liked the previous one on 3DS likely moved to playing on mobile instead.

crinale

RIP in peace Bravely.

What are you guys expecting out of Xenoblade in the West? "Saving grace" feels like kind of a long distance.

For P&D I maintain my previous position that most who liked the previous one on 3DS likely moved to playing on mobile instead.

I have a feeling that was Gung Ho's goal from the first place, while Nintendo hope was somewhat different.
While I think both mobile gamers and Nintendo handheld gamers are both regarded as "casual" gamers, those aren't exactly same audience (thus PD and Mario wasn't the collaboration to trigger synergy effect).

Sandfox

RIP in peace Bravely.

P&D is going to be interesting to follow in the west.

Sou

RIP in peace Bravely.

Nintendo totally got played with this one.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I thinj people recognized that its gameplay is better suited for mobile, simply. At least this is my feeling on the game, after having reviewed it.

Sandfox

The mobile game has done okay in North America (6 million downloads), but yes it's certainly less saturated than in Japan (34 million downloads).

Is it even out in Europe? Not sure.
It seems to be.

Nintendo totally got played with this one.

The game will probably end up being somewhat disappointing in Japan, but the Mario branding should still put in enough work WW to where its still good for both sides.

Bruno MB

Dengeki Sales: Week 18, 2015 (Apr 27 - May 03)

01./00. [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition <RPG> (GungHo Online Entertainment) {2015.04.29} (¥4.320) - 178.525 / NEW
02./00. [WIU] Dragon Quest X: Inishie no Ryuu no Denshou Online <RPG> (Square Enix) {2015.04.30} (¥4.104) - 89.513 / NEW
03./00. [WIU] Xenoblade Chronicles X # <RPG> (Nintendo) {2015.04.29} (¥8.316) - 86.119 / NEW
04./00. [WII] Dragon Quest X: Inishie no Ryuu no Denshou Online <RPG> (Square Enix) {2015.04.30} (¥4.104) - 79.888 / NEW
05./03. [3DS] Style Savvy 3: Kira Kira Code <ETC> (Nintendo) {2015.04.16} (¥5.076) - 24.094 / 109.456 (-8%)
06./01. [3DS] Bravely Second: End Layer <RPG> (Square Enix) {2015.04.23} (¥6.458) - 22.838 / 118.676 (-76%)
07./06. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.03.19} (¥2.592) - 15.520 / 138.346 (+18%)
08./00. [PSV] Saenai Kanojo no Sodatekata: Blessing Flowers # <ADV> (5pb.) {2015.04.30} (¥7.344) - 10.622 / NEW
09./00. [PSV] To Heart 2: Dungeon Travelers # <ADV> (Aqua Plus) {2015.04.30} (¥5.184) - 10.339 / NEW
10./00. [PSV] New Tokyo Legacy: Operation Babel # <RPG> (5pb.) {2015.04.30} (¥6.264) - 8.471 / NEW
11./15. [WIU] Mario Party 10 # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2015.03.12} (¥5.616) - 8.471 / 135.496 (+57%)
12./07. [PS4] Dying Light <ADV> (Warner Entertainment Japan) {2015.04.16} (¥8.208) - 7.970 / 43.817 (-23%)
13./13. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Shin Uchi <RPG> (Level 5) {2014.12.13} (¥4.968) - 7.367 / 2.629.975 (+24%)
14./11. [3DS] Ansatsu Kyoushitsu: Korosensei Daihouimou!! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.03.12} (¥6.145) - 6.811 / 60.522 (+0%)
15./21. [WIU] Mario Kart 8 # <RCE> (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} (¥6.156) - 6.400 / 958.362 (+69%)
16./19. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS <FTG> (Nintendo) {2014.09.13} (¥5.616) - 5.844 / 2.228.145 (+42%)
17./16. [PS3] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.03.26} (¥8.424) - 4.800 / 137.665 (-2%)
18./17. [PS4] Bloodborne # <RPG> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.03.26} (¥7.452) - 4.250 / 195.825 (-5%)
19./04. [PS3] BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma Extend <FTG> (Arc System Works) {2015.04.23} (¥6.264) - 4.188 / 23.994 (-79%)
20./10. [PS4] Tropico 5 <SLG> (Square Enix) {2015.04.23} (¥8.424) - 3.772 / 11.139 (-49%)

duckroll

The DQX expansion did pretty well. A second expansion to a 3 year old console only MMO on Wii and WiiU selling the same as the last expansion released about 17 months ago shows strong retention in interest.

Everything else else is sort of disappointing, even if it is somewhat expected. PAD might have legs tho, since it's a mainstream casual release. It is unlikely to reach the sales of Z, but it could also be less frontloaded. Xenoblade X did about expected, but it's on par with the original game's result, which isn't really all that great. Commendable for the platform it's on, but that's not much of a consolation. Nintendo really needs to push it overseas to capitalize on the JRPG audience.

HGH

Banned
Man, those new Vita sales sure took a hard hit.
Wait, did Neptunia turn into another Disgaea 5?

Shengar

Pennywise got banned? How? I mean that guy post is funny sometimes, but I think he's too polite to post anything bannable lol
I can contribute most of the cost for you.

PM me.
Come hiska-kun! Take Zhuge-Ex offer! This is the chance off Sales-Age to gain holy grail of sales number for the rest of Gaf.
Oh boy, only 22k for Bravely Second

RIP in Peace, Bravely Series
Unless Nintendo do it again and bring Bravely Second to worldwide audience, maybe SE will think it still worth a dime.

Mory Dunz

So is this the week when golden week's effects are felt? I see some increases in SW

200K NPD first month

275K if it releases near black friday or christmas.

Bruno MB

It seems that Capcom has very high expectations for Monster Hunter Stories.

This 2,5 million figure seems to be for Japan only since I doubt they're planning to do a simultaneous release unless it is a Oct-Dec 2015 launch in Japan / March 2016 in the West.

h8Snq8W.jpg

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Also on the Monster Hunter note, MH4U ended at 3.4 million compared to a 3.9 million prediction.

Fairly close, but not quite there.

Resident Evil Revelations 2 went 100K over it's prediction at 1.1 million.

Mory Dunz

This 2,5 million figure seems to be for Japan only since I doubt they're planning to do a simultaneous release unless it is a Oct-Dec 2015 launch in Japan / March 2016 in the West.

goodness.

What other games this gen are around 2.5 mill? Is stuff like Mk7 or NSMB2?

crinale

Bandai Namco still making bank - Full-year results:

Net Sales: 565,486
Operating Income: 56,320
Net Income: 37,588

Youkai Watch Results (Toys Segment) - 55.2
Dragon Ball Xenoverse - 2.06 million

http://www.bandainamco.co.jp/cgi-bin/releases/index.cgi/file/view/4884?entry_id=4478

Dat Sword Art Online shipment number.

Also on the Monster Hunter note, MH4U ended at 3.4 million compared to a 3.9 million prediction.

I think it sold as expected (or even more) in the Western market but not in Japan.
And if that's the case then I'm seeing the beginning of franchise fatigue.. (in Japan of course).

duckroll

goodness.

What other games this gen are around 2.5 mill? Is stuff like Mk7 or NSMB2?

The entire Top 10 for 3DS is above 2 million. That's about it. The closest titles to compare for 2.5 million would be the Yokai Watch 2 expansion release and Monster Hunter 4G. Smash Bros, Mario Kart 7 and NSMB2 are all at ~2.3 million.

It is now time to look back and call the people who were labeling it as a disappointment compared to the 3DS original :p

I mean the game has surpassed their expectations and a WW LTD >2 million seems likely in reach. RE games have some nice legs, even the terrible ones (RE 6).

Dat Sword Art Online shipment number.
If I am reading this right, the game has shipped 570k? :eek:

Last I heard, it was at 450k sold WW.

Shengar

I wouldn't call 500k short from the target as short. I hope Capcom not disappointed with the sales, don't want to see them do something stupid like putting Mh5 on mobile platform.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I wouldn't call 500k short from the target as short. I hope Capcom not disappointed with the sales, don't want to see them do something stupid like putting Mh5 on mobile platform.

It made a bit over 87% of the way to its goal.

Like that's not amazing, certainly, but this is a company that has had to halve expectations for games in the past.

They're already rapidly diversifying the brand though. There's the Monster Hunter RPG on 3DS, the Monster Hunter browser game, the Monster Hunter smartphone game, the Monster Hunter PC MMO for China, and the rumored Monster Hunter PS4/PC MMO for Japan.

duckroll

Yeah, 500k units of a 40-60 dollar game is only 20-30 million dollars. No big deal at all. No one would miss it.

crinale

Well of course MH4G not meeting expectation is nothing compared to how Capcom failed the Gaist Crusher :(

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah, 500k units of a 40-60 dollar game is only 20-30 million dollars. No big deal at all. No one would miss it.

The funny part is that you could actually say this for a lot of companies, but with how low Capcom's sales have gotten, it's a really big number.

They had an operating income of $88.2 million this year. Their net income was only $55.1 million.

duckroll

The funny part is that you could actually say this for a lot of companies, but with how low Capcom's sales have gotten, it's a really big number.

Well I'm posting in a Japanese retail game sales thread, not a mobile thread or a NPD thread, so.... :)

Vena

Im actually amazed by how close they got thanks to the western growth, which in and of itself was surprising. Japan has definitely started reaching some form of fatigue and I dont think we'll see MH5 for a while on any platform... Heck, the performance makes me think that MH5 will be even less risk averse while capcom tries to expand the brand on other channels with outsourced/cheaper production.

I think MH5 as a launch title may be something Capcom will shoot for in the future.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Im actually amazed by how close they got thanks to the western growth, which in and of itself was surprising. Japan has definitely started reaching some form of fatigue and I dont think we'll see MH5 for a while on any platform... Heck, the performance makes me think that MH5 will be even less risk averse while capcom tries to expand the brand on other channels with outsourced/cheaper production.

I think MH5 as a launch title may be something Capcom will shoot for in the future.
As a cross-gen one?

I can't imagine they want to take a 2-3 million unit hit of an actual launch title.

L~A

So is this the week when golden week's effects are felt? I see some increases in SW

As hiska-kun already noted, that'll be next week primarily (though we already seen an increase this week.

The title related to Monster Hunter... ha ha ha. Why not simply call it Monster Hunter Stories? ;)

It's a bit like Nintendo writing "Rhythm Tengoku (prov.)" instead of "Rhythm Tengoku+ The Best", even though the official titles has been revealed a while ago.

Vena

As a cross-gen one?

I can't imagine they want to take a 2-3 million unit hit of an actual launch title.

You're right... But is that hit guaranteed looking at the fatigue in Japan? We'd have been a lot further than 500k if not for the strong marketting push from Nintendo in the west. Unkess you mean 1-2 mil more lost?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
You're right... But is that hit guaranteed looking at the fatigue in Japan? We'd have been a lot further than 500k if not for the strong marketting push from Nintendo in the west. Unkess you mean 1-2 mil more lost?

Well unless it's a super, super extremely successful long legged launch title, we're looking at what, maybe 1 million LTD in Japan? 1.5?

h8Snq8W.jpg

Modest target for Street Fighter. Should be achievable with not much trouble.

Top Bottom