• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 18, 2016 (May 02 - May 08)

Aters

U are acting like they are not already killing stuff lol.^~^

Serious talk though, i can see many smaller franchise to be heading to chopping block lol.

Setsuna, Star Ocean, Bravely Second all will be no more. Lets hope Nier would be able to avoid that hole here.^~^

Bravely Second is not that bad; even the score is favorable. I think a Bravely Third is definitely happening. People complaining about reused assets are just spoiled by the always new and fresh Fina Fantasy. Play some Trails of and get used to it!

Setsuna is not a big thing to begin with, and the president said something like "it takes three games to establish a franchise". I doubt they have any high hope for this.

Star Ocean though, all of us thought it was already dead when Tri-Ace was acquired by that mobile game company. The announcement of SO5 gave us hope. Now we can finally rule out Tri-Ace altogether.

I'm fully expecting a Q1 financial report like "SO5 was not doing well......BUT, check out how many people are playing our mobile games, we are rolling in money."
It's Nomura baby :p.
They have a good engine and a capable team, so I'm not worried. People giving shit to Nomura should really look at how many games he's been involved with these years.

hiska-kun

Let's take a look at some March releases.

Game 1

First week:
01./00. [WIU] Pokken Tournament # <FTG> (Pokemon Co.) {2016.03.18} (¥7.200) - 69.675 / NEW <36,65%> [Units shipped => 190.109]

Golden Week:
16./23. [WIU] Pokken Tournament # <FTG> (Pokemon Co.) {2016.03.18} (¥7.200) - 5.029 / 136.478

Still 50k on shelves and next week a big drop should be expected... Mmm, price drops incoming.

Game 2

First Week:
01./00. [3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3 <RPG> (Square Enix) {2016.03.24} (¥5.250) - 368.665 / NEW <59,16%> [Units shipped => 623.166]

Golden Week:
05./07. [3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3 <RPG> (Square Enix) {2016.03.24} (¥5.250) - 14.200 / 586.555 (-4%)

Well, a little more than 30k left. Probably will sell the first shipment without major price drops but the game won't sell much more than that (650k LTD??).

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Pokken looked overshipped from day 1 but there is big difference with Famitsu for the estimated initial shipment. Famitsu has it somewhere at 150-160k.

mao2

So Rise of the Tomb Raider actually did pretty well despite being considered a bomba here.
Among the console game titles, “JUST CAUSE 3” and “RISE OF THE TOMB RAIDER” made a solid start. Revenues from operation and expansion disc sales of massively multiplayer online role playing games such as “FINAL FANTASY XIV” and “DRAGON QUEST X” are sustaining their strong performances.

notaskwid

So Rise of the Tomb Raider actually did pretty well despite being considered a bomba here.
It did do very poorly on Xboxone initially when compared to the 2013 game. It was kind of to be expected, but the negativeness of people salty about the timed exclusivity and by the way that Microsoft and Square presented it amplified it.

hiska-kun

Dengeki is sharing some interesting information.

Regarding Kirby Planet Robobot's drop, they said that might be caused because Triple Deluxe was more mainstream, and attracted both male and female young users. On the other side, Planet Robobot, with all the robot stuff and machine world, seems to be attracting mostly young males, and less females this time. That's why it could've declined compared to the previous entry.

Regarding Golden Week Sales, Hardware Sales declined 5.0% from previous year, but Software Sales increased 5.4%.

However if you compare it with Golden Week 2012, Hardware Sales declined 48.1% and Software Sales declined 36.0%.

http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/272/1272087/

Asd202

They have a good engine and a capable team, so I'm not worried. People giving shit to Nomura should really look at how many games he's been involved with these years.

As a Director he is notorious for long development time especially for home console games. But really I misread your post earlier but I still think VII R will have a hard time making 2017 release unless it's going to be a smaller scale AAA JRPG like just Midgar for part one. Also KH3 announced back in 2013 still no release date in sight.

Edit:
Oh FFVII R in 2018 that's certainly possible I agree :p

Fisico

Bravely Second is not that bad; even the score is favorable. I think a Bravely Third is definitely happening. People complaining about reused assets are just spoiled by the always new and fresh Fina Fantasy. Play some Trails of and get used to it!

You're a bit out of touch, Bravely Third is not happening, Second sold less than the first entry despite the price drop.

Also there are the famous quotes from Asano before and after the release of Second (I think Nirolak mentionned them a few times) where you clearly see the shift in what its future projects will likely be.

L~A

Dengeki is sharing some interesting information.

Regarding Kirby Planet Robobot's drop, they said that might be caused because Triple Deluxe was more mainstream, and attracted both male and female young users. On the other side, Planet Robobot, with all the robot stuff and machine world, seems to be attracting mostly young males, and less females this time. That's why it could've declined compared to the previous entry.

Regarding Golden Week Sales, Hardware Sales declined 5.0% from previous year, but Software Sales increased 5.4%.

However if you compare it with Golden Week 2012, Hardware Sales declined 48.1% and Software Sales declined 36.0%.

http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/272/1272087/

Oooh, didn't think of that (for Kirby). Seems like a pretty good observation. Really curious to see where Planet Robobot will end up LTD-wise. Should do well in August and christmas.

Just for fun, because I looked through Konami's SEC filings, platform breakdown:

Konami Software Breakdown Worldwide - http://abload.de/img/tjtjvwub2.jpg
tjtjvwub2.jpg

Don't know if Wii U is included in Wii or Other. (Have they published anything lol?)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
You're a bit out of touch, Bravely Third is not happening, Second sold less than the first entry despite the price drop.

Also there are the famous quotes from Asano before and after the release of Second (I think Nirolak mentionned them a few times) where you clearly see the shift in what its future projects wille likely be.

Bravely Default's future has nothing to do with the Japanese sales at this point, it's all up to how well it does in the west. They'll eventually make more if Bravely Second does well in the US, and if it doesn't, they won't.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
That is an absolutely monstrous number for a new console IP in Japan and being on the Wii U.

If the Wii U had the userbase of the Wii, I could only imagine that Splatoon would easily be over 3-4m.

And over 20 million worldwide. :D ( withouth bundle )

I remember when Golden Week was synonym of good sales.

It's already been a long since GW is not as good as it was in the past, so I don't know why people are disappointed about this year sales

GW 2012
3DS - 88k
PS3 - 26k
PSP - 19k
Wii - 15k
PSV - 9k
TOT : 157k

GW 2009
DS - 53k
PSP - 45k
Wii - 20k
PS3 - 17k
PS2 - 6k
360 - 6k

TOT : 147k

GW 2005
DS - 61k
PS2- 42k
PSP - 38k
GBA - 15k
GC - 5k
TOT : 161k

GW 2003
GBA - 89k
PS2 - 50k
GC - 8k
PS1 - 1k
XBX - 1k
TOT : 149k

GW 2001
GBA - 141k
PS2 - 55k
WSC - 18k
GBC - 9k
DC - 6k
PS1 - 4k
N64 - 2k
TOT : 235k

As usual the numbers speak for themselves

Fisico

Bravely Default's future has nothing to do with the Japanese sales at this point, it's all up to how well it does in the west. They'll eventually make more if Bravely Second does well in the US, and if it doesn't, they won't.

That would be nice, yet Bravely Default success in the west didn't seem to matter while allocating budget for Bravely Second development.

Also I don't think that Asano and Silicon Studio waited a full year to see how it performs in the west before deciding what they will do next

MacTag

Banned
Just for fun, because I looked through Konami's SEC filings, platform breakdown:

Don't know if Wii U is included in Wii or Other. (Have they published anything lol?)
Konami doesn't support Wii U except for Virtual Console.

Surprised how well Wii did and 360 didn't do for them overall. And you can see exactly where they threw in the towel on 3DS and Vita.

Madao

It's already been a long since GW is not as good as it was in the past, so I don't know why people are disappointed about this year sales

GW 2012
3DS - 45k
PS3 - 15k
PSP - 11k
WiU - 6k
PSV - 5k

GW 2009
DS - 53k
PSP - 45k
Wii - 20k
PS3 - 17k
PS2 - 6k
360 - 6k

GW 2005
DS - 61k
PS2- 42k
PSP - 38k
GBA - 15k
GC - 5k

GW 2001
GBA - 141k
PS2 - 55k
WSC - 18k
GBC - 9k
DC - 6k
PS1 - 4k
N64 - 2k

As usual the numbers speak for themselves

isn't that Wii U number for 2012 wrong? it released at the end of the year. should be Wii.

Mikey Jr.

So serious question, is Japan a lost cause at this point? All these "wait for X!" seem like bandaids. There is no real chance of any sort of permanent revitalization, right?

Vena

So serious question, is Japan a lost cause at this point? All these "wait for X!" seem like bandaids. There is no real chance of any sort of permanent revitalization, right?

NX Handheld.

That's about it for the domestic market. And even then it will depend on if anyone other than Nintendo (who basically have the strongest IPs for the region completely monopolized aside from DQ, MH, and FF) brings anything to the platform and if Nintendo puts forth a good proposition to interest consumers strongly, or if everyone keeps throwing themselves on the sword of console gaming and "the rest of the world will save it". Or everyone just goes mobile.

The old as dinosaurs 3DS continues to set the bar or keep at the bar of annual leader for hardware (nevermind the absolute devastation that is software). There's still an interest in the product even though it has ostensibly hit market saturation (and has been at that point for probably over a year, and the fact that it is leading anything tells you the dire state of everything else at market). Can that market be reinvigorated with a new, shiny product and a new library of new offerings? Maybe.

Splatoon moved over a million copies in less than a year as a brand new IP. Something like 50% of WiiU owners, owners of a neglected product that is a real bad proposition to jump into now or in general if you had other interests, own the game and play it with some regularity (given Nintendo's own Splatfest numbers). Imagine that product on a console/handheld with other compelling software, Splatoon could have been a Wii Sports for initial penetration but it really can't do it alone. There's no "Well Splatoon is interesting and everyone is talking about it... oh and X, Y, and Z are also coming? Well I think I can jump in now with Splatoon." because there is no X, Y, or Z on the WiiU.

There's obviously still people and audiences to be captivated and games to surge forward... but will publishers/developers actually bring the correct products to market or will they keep churning out safe nostalgia grabs and familiar properties that fail to grow an audience and just continue to suckle on the diminishing established fans? They certainly have for the mobile space. But in some combination of a lack of strong/enticing offerings, a growing disinterest in the brick+string model, and consumer habits have simply made console gaming a fading proposition.

I'm late for not too golden a week.

01./01. [3DS] Kirby: Planet Robobot <ACT> (Nintendo) {2016.04.28} (¥4.700) - 79.807 / 224.653 (-45%)
a bit bigger drop than I wanted to see for Kirby. Keep showing the legs Kirby

02./05. [3DS] Yo-Kai Sangokushi <SLG> (Level 5) {2016.04.02} (¥4.600) - 33.996 / 498.883 (-2%)
05./07. [3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3 <RPG> (Square Enix) {2016.03.24} (¥5.250) - 14.200 / 586.555 (-4%)
At least the drops are small here. DQM will at least sell that first shipment.

07./11. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.03.19} (¥2.400) - 10.289 / 762.839 (+14%)
08./12. [WIU] Splatoon # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.05.28} (¥5.700) - 9.478 / 1.356.993 (+7%)
09./10. [WIU] Super Mario Maker # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.09.10} (¥5.700) - 8.947 / 870.375 (-5%)
The legs trio. Splatoon and Minecraft going up. Splatoon getting close to that one year anniversary

10./19. [3DS] Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games <SPT> (Nintendo) {2016.02.18} (¥4.700) - 7.040 / 156.313 (+42%)
it's really doing pretty well

13./14. [WIU] Star Fox Zero + Star Fox Guard Double Pack <Star Fox Zero \ Star Fox Guard> <STG> (Nintendo) {2016.04.21} (¥6.500) - 5.419 / 30.228 (-30%)
14./06. [PS3] Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness <RPG> (Square Enix) {2016.04.28} (¥7.980) - 5.273 / 25.301 (-74%)
no hope here.

16./23. [WIU] Pokken Tournament # <FTG> (Pokemon Co.) {2016.03.18} (¥7.200) - 5.029 / 136.478
Come now Pokken. Wish it did better

15./22. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf [Nintendo Selects] <ETC> (Nintendo) {2016.03.17} (¥2.700) - 5.184 / 43.103
20./37. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.571) - 3.584 / 2.630.681
never truly gone ,eh Mario Kart 7 ? cheap AC too

3DS # | 26.242 | 25.578
PS4 | 24.880 | 28.578
PSV # | 18.090 | 20.168
WIU | 7.224 | 10.020
XB1 | 60 | 100
only 3DS gets a small boost. drops everywhere else.

That's a better Golden Week than last year.
Hard to believe with these numbers

Aters

That would be nice, yet Bravely Default success in the west didn't seem to matter while allocating budget for Bravely Second development.

Also I don't think that Asano and Silicon Studio waited a full year to see how it performs in the west before deciding what they will do next

That's a bummer. I enjoyed Bravely Default and from what I played of Bravely Second, it's a great game too.

Anyway, if they start to make a new IP instead of Bravely Third, I'm all for it. New IP is always better.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Hard to believe with these numbers

You can't expect with these software releases sales to skyrocket. For what came out at Golden Week software was respectable and up from last year.

As for hardware the only thing that could be big again is next Nintendo handheld and that doesn't come out before next year.

L~A

Just checked the latest eShop Top 10 and... why the hell did Genei Ibun Roku #FE / Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE not only came back, but also made it to #2? I mean, it's not like Wii U eShop sales are massive, but it's amusing to see that very game come back for seemingly no reason (no eShop sale as far I know).

Really curious.

hongcha

Just checked the latest eShop Top 10 and... why the hell did Genei Ibun Roku #FE / Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE not only came back, but also made it to #2? I mean, it's not like Wii U eShop sales are massive, but it's amusing to see that very game come back for seemingly no reason (no eShop sale as far I know).

Really curious.

The reason for this is simple: the download card has been heavily discounted on Amazon Japan (and perhaps other retailers?), at 3250 yen.

FluxWaveZ

Really curious.

55% discount following the Persona 5 news.

randomkid

I'm curious what will happen if they pass that law banning gacha in mobile. Does the entire game industry there, mobile and non-mobile, collapse completely at that point?

Ōkami

Over half of the retail software sold last week was 3DS', depending on how much Kirby drops and how Uncharted 4 opens next week could be the all time worse for software.

Total software sales need to be higher than 220k, else it's the worst ever.

Might as well give you an update on this.

Famitsu's top 10 best selling games for this year, using MC year.
  1. [3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3: 590.987
  2. [3DS] Yo-Kai Sangokushi: 496.575
  3. [PS4] Dark Souls III: 303.789
  4. [PSV] Dragon Quest Builders: Alefgard o Fukkatsu Niseyo*: 274.338
  5. [3DS] Kirby: Planet Robobot: 236.797
  6. [PS4] Dragon Quest Builders: Alefgard o Fukkatsu Niseyo*: 192.961
  7. [3DS] Monster Hunter Generations*: 188.526
  8. [WIU] Splatoon*: 173.977
  9. [PSV] Kan Colle Kai*: 172.433
  10. [3DS] Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games: 162.465
*data not up to date

hiska-kun

Three Days Sell-Through (May 10 - May 12)

[PS4] Uncharted 4: A Thief's End # <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥7.900) - 70%, higher sell-through because three days are tracked. Shipment is lower than Uncharted 3.

Edit: For reference

[PS3] Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception # <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2011.11.02} (¥5.980) - 124.989 / NEW <75,55%> [Units shipped => 165.439]

casiopao

Setsuna is not a big thing to begin with, and the president said something like "it takes three games to establish a franchise". I doubt they have any high hope for this.

Star Ocean though, all of us thought it was already dead when Tri-Ace was acquired by that mobile game company. The announcement of SO5 gave us hope. Now we can finally rule out Tri-Ace altogether.

I'm fully expecting a Q1 financial report like "SO5 was not doing well......BUT, check out how many people are playing our mobile games, we are rolling in money."

Considering how till now, BS till now haven't even sold all its first shipment and have been in huge discount, i won't count on it. S-E is not new to killing franchise here.

3 games to establish franchise? They don't even give Bravely their third chance lol. I simply don't see how Setsuna is going to be given another chance for sequel after that mediocre sales

SO and Tri Ace is dead though. Lets see how well Anatomia do here, and maybe some of the old ip can move to mobile.^~^

Three Days Sell-Through (May 10 - May 12)

[PS4] Uncharted 4: A Thief's End # <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥7.900) - 70%, higher sell-through because three days are tracked. Shipment is lower than Uncharted 3.

Guess Uncharted won't chart on MC as well as UC 3 huh.^~^

Aters

Considering how till now, BS till now haven't even sold all its first shipment and have been in huge discount, i won't count on it. S-E is not new to killing franchise here.

3 games to establish franchise? They don't even give Bravely their third chance lol. I simply don't see how Setsuna is going to be given another chance for sequel after that mediocre sales

SO and Tri Ace is dead though. Lets see how well Anatomia do here, and maybe some of the old ip can move to mobile.^~^

I'm more optimistic here. I think Square know the majority of the market is in the West now and they will take the sales of these games in the West into consideration. SO5, new Saga, NieR Automata, Setsuna all came out of nowhere (Bravely Default too to some extend since it's a spiritual successor to 4 Heroes of Light), and I'm ready for more low to middle budget projects.

casiopao

I'm more optimistic here. I think Square know the majority of the market is in the West now and they will take the sales of these games in the West into consideration. SO5, new Saga, NieR Automata, Setsuna all came out of nowhere (Bravely Default too to some extend since it's a spiritual successor to 4 Heroes of Light), and I'm ready for more low to middle budget projects.

Well, i simply can't put so much trust for SE anymore here.

I would believe that SE would put more into mobile considering how successful they are there rather than investing on low to middle budget which also does not guarantee any success.

MilkBeard

It did do very poorly on Xboxone initially when compared to the 2013 game. It was kind of to be expected, but the negativeness of people salty about the timed exclusivity and by the way that Microsoft and Square presented it amplified it.

I'll definitely be checking out the game once it hits PS4. I enjoyed Tomb Raider DE, and the series is more interesting to me than Uncharted. I think there's potential for more sales. How much momentum they lost because of the exclusivity though is hard to say. I hope Microsoft paid them a fat check to make up for it.

Top Bottom