• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 20, 2015 (May 11 - May 17)

Oregano

It could certainly be that, but would they want to talk about that while DQH has yet to be launched internationally?

True, but I would probably think that the western release is still a lower priority and they have to show it off at some point.

Takao

Banned
Takao come on tell us what Horii "implied"...

There are a few reasons why I didn't make a thread ...

Horii mentions how it's been about 10 years since the last PlayStation Dragon Quest release (VIII). He says that while he can't say anything now, there might be things in the future. This is from a Korean interview in promotion of DQH's launch in that market.

edit: Sorry for posting that ...

So, what happened here? What are our thoughts on this?

It seems surprising that sales haven't held more steady. It's a more casual game, which tend to hold steady longer, and it's priced lower than typical first-party titles. I don't know what to say, other than Japan is a shrinking market for dedicated systems, and even a title like that, with such broad appeal, isn't able to overcome the changes in the market.

There are a few reasons why I didn't make a thread ...

Horii mentions how it's been about 10 years since the last PlayStation Dragon Quest release (VIII).
He doesn't. He's answering a question he's asked and gives the usual noncommittal answer.

PSプラットフォームで発売されたドラクエシリーズは、2004年にPS2『ドラクエVIII』が発売されて以来10年振りでしたが、他のドラクエシリーズの発売予定もありますか」という質問を受けた

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So, nothing new to see, it seems.

About DQVIII, I wonder when Square will release the first trailer...I find it pretty strange how the game was announced around 2 weeks ago, it had articles on V Jump, it's already featured in billboards ads, but there's no trailer yet.

No, but all voice acting is in English (they didn't get a Japanese dub), so there's that.

Thanks.

Why is a large publisher like Take Two willing to localize a game like Borderlands which only opened at 7k (with 60-80% sell through) when an equivalent Japanese publisher would probably not localize a game to English with those kinds of numbers.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
21./22. [PS3] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.03.26} (¥8.424)
22./23. [PSV] Sword Art Online: Lost Song # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.03.26} (¥6.664)
23./38. [PS4] Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin <RPG> (From Software) {2015.04.09} (¥5.962)
24./27. [PSV] Pro Baseball Spirits 2015 <SPT> (Konami) {2015.03.26} (¥7.538)
25./26. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate # <ACT> (Capcom) {2014.10.11} (¥6.264)
26./18. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800)
27./43. [PS4] Battlefield: Hardline <ACT> (Electronic Arts) {2015.03.19} (¥7.884)
28./33. [PS4] Bloodborne # <RPG> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.03.26} (¥7.452)
29./00. [3DS] Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. <SLG> (Nintendo) {2015.05.14} (¥5.076)
30./00. [PSV] God Eater 2: Rage Burst <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.02.19} (¥6.145)
31./17. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2015.02.14} (¥5.076)
32./32. [PSV] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.03.26} (¥7.344)
33./35. [PSV] Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.03.12} (¥7.171)
34./31. [PS4] Earth Defense Force 2025.1: The Shadow of New Despair <ACT> (D3 Publisher) {2015.04.02} (¥7.538)
35./20. [3DS] LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins <ADV> (Nintendo) {2015.03.05} (¥5.076)
36./21. [3DS] Kirby Triple Deluxe <ACT> (Nintendo) {2014.01.11} (¥4.800)
37./36. [PSV] To Heart 2: Dungeon Travelers # <RPG> (Aqua Plus) {2015.04.30} (¥5.184)
38./37. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Koko ga Ochitsukundesu <ETC> (Nippon Columbia) {2014.11.20} (¥5.184)
39./39. [3DS] Kuroko's Basketball: Ties to the Future <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.03.26} (¥6.145)
40./42. [3DS] Tomodachi Life # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2013.04.18} (¥4.800)
41./29. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Ganso / Honke <RPG> (Level 5) {2014.07.10} (¥4.937)
42./00. [3DS] Dragon Quest VII: Warriors of Eden [1/1][Ultimate Hits] <RPG> (Square Enix) {2015.04.16} (¥3.024)
43./00. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V # <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) {2014.12.11} (¥7.992)
44./44. [3DS] Taiko no Tatsujin: Don to Katsu no Jikuu Daibouken <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.06.26} (¥5.119)
45./00. [PS3] Yakuza 1 & 2 HD Edition <Yakuza \ Yakuza 2> [1/1][PlayStation 3 the Best] <ADV> (Sega) {2014.12.11} (¥1.944)
46./50. [PSV] 3rd Super Robot Wars Z: Tengoku-Hen <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.04.02} (¥7.690)
47./41. [PS3] Yakuza 0 <ADV> (Sega) {2015.03.12} (¥8.845)
48./16. [3DS] Future Card Buddy Fight: Yuujou no Jounetsu Fight! <TBL> (FuRyu) {2015.04.16} (¥5.378)
49./40. [PSV] New Tokyo Legacy: Operation Babel # <RPG> (5pb.) {2015.04.30} (¥6.264)
50./48. [PS3] Resident Evil: Revelations 2 <ADV> (Capcom) {2015.03.19} (¥5.389)

Top 50

3DS - 22
PS4 - 9
PSV - 9
PS3 - 5
WIU - 5

SOFTWARE
Code:
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |
|  ALL  |    235.000 |    392.000 |    380.000 | 12.966.000 | 15.486.000 |

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Indeed. If this is the mentality Nintendo follows in the future, especially considering how this is one of the results of the current Garage initiative, it would be great for them and for us. While Nintendo games are usually great if not fantastic, I think many were asking for them to do something outside their classic franchises/genres, increasing the amount of kind of games they can cover. This generation, we already got a Musou-Nintendo published game, we got the resurrected Bayonetta 2, and soon we'll get another resurrected project (Devil's Third). Now, here's a brand new important IP (in terms of how much effort they're putting in it) in the shooter genre. I hope these kind of initiatives (collaborations/projects resurrected/expansion of the lineup both IP-wise and genre-wise) continue.

Also, at this point, I wonder, with a much better marketing/demo (yeah, I'm going there), if The Wonderful 101 could've sold much better than what it did (despite still being a difficult title to sell in today's market).
I feel The Wonderful 101 was always going to be nigh impossible to sell as a retail title.

It was in an unproven genre. It had a niche art style where even in here people couldn't figure out who it was targeting. It had an unusual control scheme that many struggled with. The developer didn't have a large fan base that could carry the title. On top of that, it gave off a low budget vibe to a lot of people who looked at it. Many were baffled at the suggestion that it could have cost 50% more than Bayonetta 1 to make.

Between all this, I feel it would have been much better off to scale way down and make as a downloadable title, where these kinds of product aspects go over way better than at retail.

thanks for the info, so these monster clones are actually just monster games and have nothing to do with traditional mh?
For the most part, yes. They're social games themed to the universed instead of the core mechanics. As someone noted, the gatcha machine pop-ups out monsters that instantly turn into weapons, which is a thematic element instead of following through on the actual design of harvesting monsters to make equipment.

regarding bd, thats a shame they went that route i thought the decent review in famitsu meant the game was good quality wise
Well, chances are it's actually quite a good game.

Let me go back to the Assassin's Creed example again.

Assassin's Creed 2 shipped 10-11 million copies. They followed it up with Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, a game that used a very similar location (other cities in Italy) with a smattering of mechanical changes, which only shipped 7 million copies. Now, in retrospect, many consider it one of the best games in the series, only behind Assassin's Creed 2 and maybe Assassin's Creed 4, but the average consumer looked at the game and said "Well, I can wait until they give us a really new location and/or a lot more design changes instead."

Afterwards (let's ignore Revelations for a moment), Assassin's Creed 3 came out in a brand new location and featured a whole bunch of design changes that sounded really impressive on paper. Now, the game itself was received a fair bit worse than Brotherhood, but it shipped 12.5 million copies on the strength of the proposal.

To use a more direct example, Final Fantasy X-2 is also really well received gameplay design wise, but people dislike that it reuses all the same locations and many of the enemies (among other things) as the last game.

If Bravely Second had shipped the cast off to a whole new planet or different region of the world, had notable visual upgrades, and a variety of other unexpected design upgrades/additions, I think it would have done a lot better.

As it stands, based on the marketing, it looks like they added some towns to the existing map, some new jobs, a couple of new characters, and a mini-game or two. The game is even identical visually and features the same bosses (Asterix holders) in the same outfits (raising the question of if they're even the same fights). Maybe that's totally wrong, but that's the impression they sent out.

Of course, the game this is based on is very good, so this could still be quite a good game, but I don't think it's hard to imagine why not everyone would be lining up around the block to get it if that was also their impression of the game.

horuhe

Some photos of Splatoon Event Space taken at 13:00 in Yodobashi Akiba

Kp0ZGb5.jpg

nugvf5U.jpg

It's really well advertised this game in Tokyo.

This weekend there will be another one at YodoAki.

Scum

In general, even if it bombs, I would consider Splatoon to be one of the best thought out new IPs they've made in ages.

It's in a popular genre that Nintendo sorely lacks. It's seemingly made by people who both like the genre and spent a lot of time thinking about what design decisions/mechanics actually make the genre fun and engaging. They thought through what sorts of mechanics they could add to make the game feel unique and like something people would consider playing despite having other shooters. And on top of all that, they put a lot of effort into making a title that evokes a strong feeling of being a "Nintendo game" despite being in a genre Nintendo doesn't really work in.

It's like a game from an alternate universe where Nintendo was really on top of things coming into this generation.

Indeed. If this is the mentality Nintendo follows in the future, especially considering how this is one of the results of the current Garage initiative, it would be great for them and for us. While Nintendo games are usually great if not fantastic, I think many were asking for them to do something outside their classic franchises/genres, increasing the amount of kind of games they can cover. This generation, we already got a Musou-Nintendo published game, we got the resurrected Bayonetta 2, and soon we'll get another resurrected project (Devil's Third). Now, here's a brand new important IP (in terms of how much effort they're putting in it) in the shooter genre. I hope these kind of initiatives (collaborations/projects resurrected/expansion of the lineup both IP-wise and genre-wise) continue.

Also, at this point, I wonder, with a much better marketing/demo (yeah, I'm going there), if The Wonderful 101 could've sold much better than what it did (despite still being a difficult title to sell in today's market).

Well said. This is the kind of thing I've been hoping to see from Nintendo for fucking years. In fact I was hoping it will be more from their Western branches. lool
They better carry on with this 'Garage' shenanigans. I want more IPs in genres that Nintendo hasn't been vested in for years.

test_account

XP-39C²
Ehh. That'd be a mighty budget for a game from Garage and a dev cycle of a little over a year and half or whatever.

I mean, that's, what, 8 million USD? That'd be a hell of a marketing budget comparatively speaking.
I dont think this is being seen as a "lesser" title by Nintendo just because of that. Honestly, if i didnt know better, i could have though that Splatoon could as well be made by the same guys who made Super Mario Galaxy for example. I have no idea what the marketing budget is though.

NotLiquid

Some photos of Splatoon Event Space taken at 13:00 in Yodobashi Akiba

Kp0ZGb5.jpg

nugvf5U.jpg

It's really well advertised this game in Tokyo.

This weekend there will be another one at YodoAki.

Funny this happens since the Comgnet rating slowed down today (only went up 2pts from the previous day lol).

jnWake

Well said. This is the kind of thing I've been hoping to see from Nintendo for fucking years. In fact I was hoping it will be more from their Western branches. lool
They better carry on with this 'Garage' shenanigans. I want more IPs in genres that Nintendo hasn't been vested in for years.

HAL also has their own 'Garage' now, as does Gamefreak (even if their new game isn't coming to Wii U haha). I hope they let their few western developers do this too. I bet Next Level could create awesome IPs.

L~A

Nintendo doesn't know NLG in any way, so if they want to get 'creative', there's nothing preventing them from doing so.

?oe?oe

Nintendo doesn't know NLG in any way, so if they want to get 'creative', there's nothing preventing them from doing so.

Yeah. Next Level Games are ones of those weird independent second party studio since they confirmed they're only working with Nintendo now.

Vena

Yeah. Next Level Games are ones of those weird independent second party studio since they confirmed they're only working with Nintendo now.

Isn't the whole idea that Nintendo trusts them to make good games on their IP? That's why they've chosen to work with only Nintendo, and as such I doubt Nintendo is going to force them to do anything or prevent them from doing anything.

I think the whole point of the partnership is exactly for the idea of being "creative".

Monster Games also. They haven't even touched a non-Nintendo IP since they made Excite Truck. Their history is pretty enigmatic, like we know they made a Nascar game and what not prior, but since Excite Truck, they don't exactly talk about anything about their company, and we don't know if they're contracted 2nd-Party or by their own choice ala NLG.

Next Level Games of course had done non-Nintendo stuff over the years until their new exclusivity with Nintendo, but again, Monster never did any such thing to our knowledge, not even leaks, nothing.

Scum

HAL also has their own 'Garage' now, as does Gamefreak (even if their new game isn't coming to Wii U haha). I hope they let their few western developers do this too. I bet Next Level could create awesome IPs.

Hopefully one of these Garage start-ups is making a sports title or an arcade racer.

In general, even if it bombs, I would consider Splatoon to be one of the best thought out new IPs they've made in ages.

It's in a popular genre that Nintendo sorely lacks. It's seemingly made by people who both like the genre and spent a lot of time thinking about what design decisions/mechanics actually make the genre fun and engaging. They thought through what sorts of mechanics they could add to make the game feel unique and like something people would consider playing despite having other shooters. And on top of all that, they put a lot of effort into making a title that evokes a strong feeling of being a "Nintendo game" despite being in a genre Nintendo doesn't really work in.

It's like a game from an alternate universe where Nintendo was really on top of things coming into this generation.
NB everything that Niro describes here is part of marketing.

You can have all the advertising and promotion in the world, but if the other aspects of your marketing are flawed it's not going to magically create success.

in 11 Days the Tales of Festival takes place

Its finally time for the first Tales of Game on the Ps4 + The PS4 Version of Zestiria

That should ensure a push on the jap. market

Sandfox

in 11 Days the Tales of Festival takes place

Its finally time for the first Tales of Game on the Ps4 + The PS4 Version of Zestiria

That should ensure a push on the jap. market

I don't see a new Tales game being announce at the Tales of Festival, nor do I think we're getting an announcement this year.

Vena

I don't see a new Tales game being announce at the Tales of Festival, nor do I think we're getting an announcement this year.

Tales of WiiU for the 3DS starring your favorite characters from the Uncharted, Killzone, and Knack series. Pre-order exclusive content on the Xbone.

But more seriously, I don't think we'll see anything new this year aside from maybe the PS4 port.

Top Bottom