• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 21, 2016 (May 23 - May 29)

hiska-kun

Note that at least two Comg stores shut down recently. Now there're 14 Comg stores opened (all of them in Niigata-ken, a countryside prefecture).
There were 16-18 shops before. That can explain why pre-orders slowed down and the sales ratio is higher.

That said, Yo-kai pre-orders still look ugly.

casiopao

Note that at least two Comg stores shut down recently. Now there're 14 Comg stores opened (all of them in Niigata-ken, a countryside prefecture).
There were 16-18 shops before. That can explain why pre-orders slowed down and the sales ratio is higher.

That said, Yo-kai pre-orders still look ugly.

Man o man. The gaming retail market is really having such rough time in japan huh.TT
NX really better did much better here as it seems more or less, the life of those retail store is on the hand of Nintendo.

hiska-kun

Man o man. The gaming retail market is really having such rough time in japan huh.TT
NX really better did much better here as it seems more or less, the life of those retail store is on the hand of Nintendo.

Yeah, and Comg is not the only chain with these kind of problems. For example, Yodobashi Camera Shinjuku used to have two floors for videogames (one for Nintendo and the other for Sony/Micro). Now there's only one for videogames, all of them in a single floor.

Yamada Denki also shut down a big store in Ikebukuro, and Bic Camera reduced its space for videogames there as well.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
I believe Splatoon handheld is going to kill Pokemon next time.^~^

Nah, it won't. Though Splatoon is on the road for be in TOP 5 of the bigger series in Japan. :p

Pokèmon, Animal Crossing, Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, Splatoon.

I think this seem about right. xD

Well, Falcom porting Tokyo Xanadu to PS4 and talking about Ys 6 for the console.

Guess we know where they're going once Vita shuts down, if there was any doubt.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
With another FF (remaster, and this has been on the rumor mill for ages now so it was expected) coming to market, I am going to start to wonder if SE isn't going to bleed that well dry. At this point, actually, I'd ask which well is going to bleed dry faster: DQ or FF.

Also no Vita on the FFXII Remaster, and given what they've shown of it so far (upscaling filters on old/original assets) which largely seems low-effort and quick turn-around, makes me think that its absence was "requested" rather than technically limited.

Also, Capcom's mystery 2mil is DR4?
They seem to just be following through on their goal of making all the mainline Final Fantasy games playable on PS4, PC, and eventually mobile.

Most of these games are very old, even FF12 itself, and they have a lot of younger people and emerging markets who have never seen them and have no reason to value the Final Fantasy brand, so this is part of trying to get them to care about it.

They seem to just be following through on their goal of making all the mainline Final Fantasy games playable on PS4, PC, and eventually mobile.

Most of these games are very old, even FF12 itself, and they have a lot of younger people and emerging markets who have never seen them and have no reason to value the Final Fantasy brand, so this is part of trying to get them to care about it.

Plus people like me who like the series but just never played certain games. I never got to play FFXII and I'm really excited for the remaster.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Don't worry everyone, Level 5 knows that their franchises die by the third or fourth entry, so Snack World will manage to limp out the door by the time crisis hits.

Vena

Sure, I get that angle, I just think at some point we start reaching saturation for products under a single brand. At this point, I think there are more FF branded games than Pokemon games coming out or will come out since 2015, and Pokemon has an anniversary excuse (as does DQ).

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Well, Falcom porting Tokyo Xanadu to PS4 and talking about Ys 6 for the console.

Guess we know where they're going once Vita shuts down, if there was any doubt.

I'm sure they'd consider developing for another platform if they had a dev kits, support, and thought it had a market for them. The first two in particular are what they have with Sony and their platforms.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sure, I get that angle, I just think at some point we start reaching saturation for products under a single brand. At this point, I think there are more FF branded games than Pokemon games coming out or will come out since 2015, and Pokemon has an anniversary excuse (as does DQ).
On that note, what have they actually got upcoming in totality?

- Dissidia console port (Unannounced, but implied, 2016 or 2017?)
- Final Fantasy XV (September)
- World of Final Fantasy (October)
- Final Fantasy XII Remaster (2017)
- Final Fantasy VII Remake (2018? 2019?)
- Final Fantasy 11 Mobile Re-imagining (2017?)

Am I missing anything?

Vena

On that note, what have they actually got upcoming in totality?

- Dissidia console port (Unannounced, but implied, 2016 or 2017?)
- Final Fantasy XV (September)
- World of Final Fantasy (October)
- Final Fantasy XII Remaster (2017)
- Final Fantasy VII Remake (2018? 2019?)
- Final Fantasy 11 Mobile Re-imagining (2017?)

Am I missing anything?

I was looking backwards too, hence 2015, so Type-0HD/FFXV demo, Exvius, and Mobius (oh and the re-re-remaster of FFX/X-2, I believe).

Also don't we have rumoring of FFVI? And isn't FFVII, at least Episode 1, supposedly 2017 (as in, wasn't the that the whole point of being episodic)?

rhandino

Banned
Could it be that the hype for the new generation of Pokemon + the 20th anniversary are hurting the pre-orders of Yo-kai Watch? I legit did not see they reaching point of saturation by the 3rd entry tbh.

Also no Vita on the FFXII Remaster, and given what they've shown of it so far (upscaling filters on old/original assets) which largely seems low-effort and quick turn-around, makes me think that its absence was "requested" rather than technically limited.

Requested by whom?

Fdkn

So after years of reading about how the FF brand was 'dead' because all we got were Lightning games, they make a huge push to the brand with a variety of approaches (XV, WoFF, Dissidia, smartphone games) as well as listening to fan requests (FF7R, FFXII Zodiac) and that may be also a bad thing because suddenly they're milking it too much? sigh.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I was looking backwards too, hence 2015, so Type-0HD/FFXV demo, Exvius, and Mobius (oh and the re-re-remaster of FFX/X-2, I believe).

Also don't we have rumoring of FFVI? And isn't FFVII, at least Episode 1, supposedly 2017 (as in, wasn't the that the whole point of being episodic)?

I'm not sure if these are all the same audience though.

The mobile games are meant to appeal to millions more Japanese people than the console games (Exvius has 6 million downloads, Record Keeper has 10 million downloads, Mobius has 3 million downloads).

World of Final Fantasy is meant to target younger audiences.

Final Fantasy XV is trying to be a brand modernization to current global tastes, and Final Fantasy VII seems to be following a similar vein a year or three later.

Dissidia is a fighting game.

Final Fantasy XII's Remaster and Type-0 HD feel like products built with overseas and emerging market audiences in mind, especially Type-0 HD.

Ōkami

XTA12Vi.jpg

Don't worry everyone, after today's news of custom Jinbanyans and X Files references preorders from Yokai Watch 3 are sure to pick up.

Vena

So after years of reading about how the FF brand was 'dead' because all we got were Lightning games, they make a huge push to the brand with a variety of approaches (XV, WoFF, Dissidia, smartphone games) as well as listening to fan requests (FF7R, FFXII Zodiac) and that may be also a bad thing because suddenly they're milking it too much? sigh.

These aren't mutually exclusive. Bad games are bad for your brand, but then going over the top with it is also bad for your brand (also is it really a fan request when you planted the idea of a remaster/remake of FFVII a decade ago?). We regularly discuss Level-5 running series into the ground with rapid-fire, short-term release windows and saturating the brand.

I'm not sure if these are all the same audience though.

The mobile games are meant to appeal to millions more Japanese people than the console games (Exvius has 6 million downloads, Record Keeper has 10 million downloads, Mobius has 3 million downloads).

World of Final Fantasy is meant to target younger audiences.

Final Fantasy XV is trying to be a brand modernization to current global tastes, and Final Fantasy VII seems to be following a similar vein a year or three later.

Dissidia is a fighting game.

Final Fantasy XII's Remaster and Type-0 HD feel like products built with overseas and emerging market audiences in mind, especially Type-0 HD.

I wasn't implying that they were the same target audience. Though the FF mobile games are most certainly still targeting the same core fans (on top of casual appeal) with oodles of nostalgia, familiar gameplay or characters, etc. Though I don't really agree on the FF-remasters being so much directed at emerging markets, I think they are very much targeting (at least in parallel to the new markets) nostalgia and fans just as the new titles will continue to do so even if they are modernizing (or attempting to, anyway) the brand.

But I do get the point of diversifying the audience appeal with a wide-swathe of titles. I still think it starts to muddle the identity of the brand, though, at some point.

Fdkn

These aren't mutually exclusive. Bad games are bad for your brand, but then going over the top with it is also bad for your brand (also is it really a fan request when you planted the idea of a remaster/remake of FFVII a decade ago?). We regularly discuss Level-5 running series into the ground with rapid-fire, short-term release windows and saturating the brand.

But as Nirolak is explaining better than me, all those games are not covering the same bases. Level-5 doesn't have that variety of audiences, all their YW games are targeted to the same demo.

Vena

But as Nirolak is explaining better than me, all those games are not covering the same bases. Level-5 doesn't have that variety of audiences, all their YW games are targeted to the same demo.

Level-5 has run more than one series into the ground, admittedly all of them were largely aimed at young demographics, however.

That said, as I noted, I do not think that SE is actually that "different" here aside from World/Dissidia, the others are all still trying to farm nostalgia (heck even World/Dissidia are still doing it) from core fans by using familiar icons and settings to lure them into a product. Same basis as DQHeroes, its not a "DQ game" but the brand is able to bring in fans of the series to try it out. Same logic applies here.

Its like Pokken. Its a game that doesn't directly target kids/children, but they most certainly can and are to some degree expected to buy it because Pikachu is in it. Now Pokemon is a healthier brand than Final Fantasy and appeals successfully to multiple age groups, so the waters there are a bit more muddled.

Could it be that the hype for the new generation of Pokemon + the 20th anniversary are hurting the pre-orders of Yo-kai Watch? I legit did not see they reaching point of saturation by the 3rd entry tbh.
I think so, probably people who would buy both versions are probably sticking with one for each franchise.

I'm sure they'd consider developing for another platform if they had a dev kits, support, and thought it had a market for them. The first two in particular are what they have with Sony and their platforms.

I'd be surprised at a shift like that, given there was chatter of a 3DS Legend of Heroes game in 2012 that never seemed to materialize, which is a time they'd certainly have easy access to dev kits.

There's always time to change on that stance I suppose.

casiopao

Lack of Marketing i guess? The closer they go, i think the number is going to rise faster. I do want to believe that japan gaming market should be more than capable to had two big IP going together.( the pokemon anime is doing really well recently though that i can't stop amouring.^~^)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I wasn't implying that they were the same target audience. Though the FF mobile games are most certainly still targeting the same core fans (on top of casual appeal) with oodles of nostalgia, familiar gameplay or characters, etc.
I think a lot of those people (from Japan) aren't playing console games anymore though. Final Fantasy console titles would sell much, much better if they were.

Though I don't really agree on the FF-remasters being so much directed at emerging markets, I think they are very much targeting (at least in parallel to the new markets) nostalgia and fans just as the new titles will continue to do so even if they are modernizing (or attempting to, anyway) the brand.
Sure, but I think the long term strategic goal is more important to their release date strategy than what's optimal for the Japanese market.

But I do get the point of diversifying the audience appeal with a wide-swathe of titles. I still think it starts to muddle the identity of the brand, though, at some point.
I don't think the brand actually has a real identity at this point. That's why they're starting to drop the brand off of series like Bravely Default and Samurai Rising even though they're clearly Final Fantasy games, so at least those products can establish their own thing (if they succeed enough to continue).

Vena

I think a lot of those people (from Japan) aren't playing console games anymore though. Final Fantasy console titles would sell much, much better if they were.

Oh, I think you misunderstood. I agree with this, I was simply saying that those games (on mobile) are also still targeting the people who are on consoles. Its also a product a product that targets lapsed fans (of dedicated gaming in general and of the brand).

Sure, but I think the long term strategic goal is more important to their release date strategy than what's optimal for the Japanese market.

I agree. I think what I said applies to more than just Japan, though, and I was more generally speaking of markets where the brand has remained at least somewhat of a "known quantity".

I don't think the brand actually has a real identity at this point. That's why they're starting to drop the brand off of series like Bravely Default and Samurai Rising even though they're clearly Final Fantasy games, so at least those products can establish their own thing (if they succeed enough to continue).

Fair enough.

jj984jj

I'd be surprised at a shift like that, given there was chatter of a 3DS Legend of Heroes game in 2012 that never seemed to materialize, which is a time they'd certainly have easy access to dev kits.

There's always time to change on that stance I suppose.

As stated in that thread, that doesn't mean they were planning on developing any of that internally, or even publishing it. Falcom has always licensed their IPs out to get them on platforms they don't develop for.

Vena

As stated in that thread, that doesn't mean they were planning on developing any of that internally, or even publishing it. Falcom has always licensed their IPs out to get them on platforms they don't develop for.

Honestly, I think Falcom is happy where they are in that ecosystem so short of their entire audience vaporizing, I think they will remain there.

jj984jj

Honestly, I think Falcom is happy where they are in that ecosystem so short of their entire audience vaporizing, I think they will remain there.

I don't think they'll abandon it. I'm saying their in that ecosystem because of the support they've gotten and they're already setup to develop on those platforms. They're a small company so they can only do so much.

If they're thinking of developing on other platforms they'll probably think about doing a licensing agreement first instead of buying into and developing them-selves.

If they did get some real support and were probably given dev kits though I'm sure they'd consider what's viable for them.

Next year is the series' 30th anniversary, so I think it's safe to expect even more stuff lol

(I don't mind though, as long they are good)

casiopao

I'm not fighting, I'm presenting SALES DATA. I wonder why nobody replied to my post? Except you of course. ^~^

Just joking lol. But, i mean we are waiting for that comparison between Sun/Moon vs YW3 here.^~^ We need to see the prophecy of Pokemon killer fulfilled lol.^~^

Aters

Level-5 has run more than one series into the ground, admittedly all of them were largely aimed at young demographics, however.

That said, as I noted, I do not think that SE is actually that "different" here aside from World/Dissidia, the others are all still trying to farm nostalgia (heck even World/Dissidia are still doing it) from core fans by using familiar icons and settings to lure them into a product. Same basis as DQHeroes, its not a "DQ game" but the brand is able to bring in fans of the series to try it out. Same logic applies here.

Its like Pokken. Its a game that doesn't directly target kids/children, but they most certainly can and are to some degree expected to buy it because Pikachu is in it. Now Pokemon is a healthier brand than Final Fantasy and appeals successfully to multiple age groups, so the waters there are a bit more muddled.

I think you over-estimates the core fans. Most people that buy these games are interested in the game first, then the franchise. It's not like these games are bad or anything. Also, I'm not sure what does a healthier brand mean. If it means sales, Pokemon is probably the healthiest franchise in the world. As for the games, the franchise has been stale for more than ten years. Healthy would be the last word I'd use to describe it.

I think it's better to view Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest as mega-franchise like SMT. You have mainline SMT, but you also have Persona, Soul Hacker, Devil Sirvivor and many other titles. Also as others point out, they did make Bravely Default a new framchise, and that, without doubt, plays the nostalgia card more than any other title.

Just joking lol. But, i mean we are waiting for that comparison between Sun/Moon vs YW3 here.^~^ We need to see the prophecy of Pokemon killer fulfilled lol.^~^

I trust that good word of mouth will carry YW3 to millions. Don't worry about pre-orders! ^~^

I hope the same holds true for Pokémon, if they serve quality, that is. It has been a while. ^~^

casiopao

Special preview for next week's Pokemon episode:

5abcab91b135ab03cf9617fd8e9cb295.jpg

No war only love please.^~^

See how both mascot is loving each other lol.^^

d78a676c2d664fef0195bdd059f6fa7b.jpg

When are we getting poke x YW cross over lol.^~^

I trust that good word of mouth will carry YW3 to millions. Don't worry about pre-orders! ^~^

I hope the same holds true for Pokémon, if they serve quality, that is. It has been a while. ^~^

Haha. YW3 is surely going to sell millions here. At least 2 mill+ but i believe Sun and Moon is going to past that number there. So it will be interesting to see who will sold more in the end.^~^

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Oh, I think you misunderstood. I agree with this, I was simply saying that those games (on mobile) are also still targeting the people who are on consoles. Its also a product a product that targets lapsed fans (of dedicated gaming in general and of the brand).

I agree. I think what I said applies to more than just Japan, though, and I was more generally speaking of markets where the brand has remained at least somewhat of a "known quantity".

Fair enough.

I guess my feeling is that it's just such a minor issue compared to the elephant in the room.

We're talking about a handful of small releases, remasters, and localizations in a series that's trying to shift its main product from a 5-7 million fading giant to a 10+ million roaring growth engine that actually has long term relevance in today's market.

However, that product looks like a questionable frankenstein monster cobbled together from both ideas throughout its own development cycle and various product trends around the world without necessarily mastering any of it.

Given that Square Enix was shouting from the rooftops about how amazing Rise of the Tomb Raider and Just Cause 3 did, I'm sure if the game gets and 82 on Metacritic and ships 6 million copies, they'll consider it the greatest achievement in the history of the company, if not in the history of humanity itself, but I don't think that would actually be a great result for the series given where the RPG genre is today and how much nigh-guaranteed buy-in they had from fans of long ago. It won't show that they're reaching new audiences, making trends, and seriously contending for GOTY awards instead of coasting on a legacy established an era ago.

lherre

Accurate
It's lucky for me that pokemon and YW are uninteresting games (and boring) but I have to admit that one year ago when I was in Japan I saw that YW was everywhere, more than pokemon.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Like how much though? How many monsters are there?

That would seem like an obvious, logical path but it remains to be seen whether it actually happens.

Most of the shit are palette swaps for the roster. They went cheap on it big time in that sense. Which was stupid since the maps and other things added were interesting. But the whole point of the game is the monsters and having the same things all over the place just different colored well yeah not a good idea. And as mentioned before their previous titles did not feel "cheap" like that even though there are palette swap designs in the game.

Honestly this time around they deserve the ass roasting they got over the title, since someone decided to cut corners in the worst possible way. Not the best idea considering the fact that the DQMJ fanbase was pretty large.

Top Bottom