• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 24, 2015 (Jun 08 - Jun 14)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
My main argument against this logic is that games have a certain nature ascribed to them, such as portability or social elements, that can be lost between changing outright the target system from a handheld to a console. For example, the strengths of the MH series are in part co-operative play on the fly through internet (which a console CAN do) and on the fly co-operative play with friends in person, in the moment (which you really can't do with a console). (Much the same reason we don't see CoDs on a handheld, because those games and the like are built on spectacle and spectacle demands hardware. They are a console brand.)

Players/gamers/people also have largely disparate preferences between consoles and handhelds as, while they serve the ends of playing games, one is a huge black brick and the other is a smaller, more mobile brick.

So you're not only moving your audience across branding (and, in theory, risking losing based on brand specific offerings), you're also forcing your audience across possible preference of the physical form and mobility (or lack thereof). Given the rise of mobile, moblity seems to be much more sought after by the gaming public.
Sure, but I'm talking about moving Vita/PS3 games to NX/PS4, which is a pretty straightforward fit to the previous platforms unless the NX doesn't have any handheld version.

You're moving the "PlayStation Audience" on Vita to NX, but like, where else do they go in this scenario?

I guess they could technically be entering the workforce, and given work culture in Japan, end up no longer using traditional game platforms at all, but that's just a continuation of the same dedicated device user evaporation we've been seeing for ages.

Again, I'm open to the argument that we just see a whole ton of people disappear from dedicated devices when we go from like 3-5+ dedicated platforms to two, and thus the franchises disappear as well.

Are 3DS/Wii U/NX not seen as viable in Japan? Normally suggesting the Wii U is a viable alternative would be preposterous, but the Wii U has still sold 150% as much as the PS4 there.

3DS is aging, but still alive and still selling better than PS4. NX isn't out yet, but I suspect it's close enough that beginning development right now is not unreasonable if you want to heavily invest in the platform. I'm assuming Nintendo isn't hitting some particular demographic that these third parties want: which demographic is that?
It's not that Square Enix can't make games for these platforms so much as the type of games they make are historically production value driven as one of their major selling points. It's also harder to sell overseas for the volume they'd want on handhelds.

Like this is less of a problem for Nier 2 or Star Ocean V, but to sell in the West, mainline Final Fantasy needs to be a huge production value console game that can't easily be ported to a handheld, whereas if there are no PS4s in Japan, it's going to do really poorly domestically. As such, they shove a bunch of other games on the platform hoping to prop it up and enable the big titles.

Regarding Nomura expressly talking about pushing PS4s: I don't know if I've ever seen a third party executive eagerly talk about boosting hardware sales for a particular manufacturer. Is that more common than I realize? Are there examples of EA executives saying "we're really hoping to push Xboxes" or anyone ever saying "We really hope to help Nintendo push their systems?"

They usually have that idea of pushing next gen consoles but for Japanese devs the PS4 is whats important.

Busaiku

I mean, the Splatoon numbers are still internal figures.
If they used Media Create, they would have specified.

We can't really do a proper estimate of digital.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The best thing of this week will be that we can get Splatoon's digital sales extrapolating from MC.

Between this and Xenoblade Chronicles X, this is a one-two punch to give a better context to Wii U All-Time eShop Charts, after all.

Actually, since now we know BoxBoy is over 100,000 units sold digitally, I'll see Famitsu digital charts with even bigger interest, to verify how reliable they are (for Nintendo, at least).

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Going by this article http://www.videogamer.com/wiiu/splatoon/news/splatoon_has_sold_1_million_copies_worldwide.html Splatoon sold 368K digital & physical in Japan so far. I think it's safe to say week 25 is already included.

So what does everyone thing of this week for Splatoon?

The best thing of this week will be that we can get Splatoon's digital sales extrapolating from MC.

So far we have:

MC: 266.929
Famitsu: 298.549
Nintendo: 368.000

The gap between MC and Famitsu COULD be the digital cards, but they have differences almost for every game for simple tracking discrepancies so...

Let's say that usually Nintendo uses MC data, so the actual significant comparison is:

266.929 VS 368.000

If MC will put Splatoon fourth week at 40k, that would still leave a very good amount of digital sales (around 60k), including cards and eshop

hiska-kun

I mean, the Splatoon numbers are still internal figures.
If they used Media Create, they would have specified.

We can't really do a proper estimate of digital.

Internal figures for Japan always is MC
The report came from NA, right? That's why they didn't specify

ZhugeEX

Banned
Are you sure?
I remember other times where they specifically point to Media Create.

Thats only when they create charts and stuff.

When they give out actual written sales then its still media create. They just dont say it.

In the same way they don't specify they use NPD+digital when confirming US numbers.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

When they give out actual written sales then its still media create. They just dont say it.

In the same way they don't specify they use NPD+digital when confirming US numbers.

Yep.
Plus, this was a "WW" update, so they shoudl have quoted NPD, MC and (Gfk? Internal estimates?) something for the EU market too.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
...I just mentioned BoxBoy a few posts earlier, then I got to see if there were updates on 3DS All-time eShop Chart and...now it's higher than Gunman Clive. This brings the estimate to > 140,000 (btw, congrats beril!)

ZhugeEX

Banned
Yep.
Plus, this was a "WW" update, so they shoudl have quoted NPD, MC and (Gfk? Internal estimates?) something for the EU market too.

GfK as far as i'm aware.

Although i'm sure Nintendo have their own internal estimates in there somewhere as well.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
GfK as far as i'm aware.

Although i'm sure Nintendo have their own internal estimates in there somewhere as well.

Thank you. You are probably right. when we usually get EU (and ww) updates (around March, usually?) from Nintendo, with the graphs and charts...they probably mention: NPD, MC, Gfk AND internal estimates. Probably because Gfk cover the "big 5" countries, while Nintendo sells (and aout-esitmate) also the volumes for other countries.

Road

Your assumption. When they gave out written sales for Animal Crossing, they weren't using Media Create.

No, They say when they are using internal figures or NPD for US numbers. It's in the bottom of their press releases (*Data regarding physical sales of games in March are from the NPD Group. Data regarding digital downloads of games and combined physical/digital life-to-date numbers are from Nintendo’s internal sales figures). While their 15 million 3DS announcement was "according to Nintendo’s internal sales figures".

L~A

Media Create:

New3DS LL 17,642
Wii U 14,616
PS4 13,850
Vita 11,748
New3DS 4,506
PS3 2,819
3DS 1,126
3DS LL 790
Vita TV 540
Xbox One 201

PoPoLoCrois: 46k
Splatoon: 43k

Vitanimus

splatoon

b1fjps

Busaiku

Dang, Marvelous has not been feeling it lately.
I imagine they'll completely pull out of 3DS now, minus mainline Harvest Moon.

Popolocrois is not relevant anymore (this is the first new entry in what, 10 years?); the game might still sell well over time, in particular if HM / RF will be absent.

{12/07/1996} PoPoLoCrois Story [PS] - 113,494 / 406,454
{26/11/1998} PoPoRogue [PS] - 109,448 / 247,758
{27/01/2000} PoPoLoCrois Story 2 [PS] - 96,139 / 186,848
{20/06/2002} PoPoLoCrois: Adventure of Beginnings [PS2] - 90,366 / 160,487
{18/03/2004} PoPoLoCrois: Adventure of the Law of the Moon [PS2] - 33,109 / 70,631
{10/02/2005} PoPoLoCrois Story [PSP] - 32,084 / 79,756

The 3DS will likely sell well than the last two entries, and if it has enough legs, going close to the first one on PS2 and the last one on PS1.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member

Most of their titles have performed exceptionally well on the 3DS.

Busaiku

Popolocrois is not relevant anymore (this is the first new entry in what, 10 years?); the game might still sell well over time, in particular if HM / RF will be absent.
Maybe, I guess I thought the PSP game did better though.

Most of their titles have performed exceptionally well on the 3DS.
Not lately.
Senran Kagura 2, Lord of Magna, the cancellation of Kaio, this (which is debatable, I guess).

Not like they've had particularly rousing success elsewhere. At least the new Story of Seasons (i.e. a proper version) should sell well, whenever it's coming.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe, I guess I thought the PSP game did better though.

Not lately.
Senran Kagura 2, Lord of Magna, the cancellation of Kaio, this (which is debatable, I guess).

I mean they haven't really released anything lately that I would expect to sell well.

Kaio has nothing to do with the 3DS it was obviously a game with an incredibly troubled development.

Busaiku

Senran Kagura still did alright on Vita/PS4.
Lord of Magna was from the Rune Factory team. Yes, it is very different, but they had so much success but fore, to see it absolutely crater was a shock.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Your assumption. When they gave out written sales for Animal Crossing, they weren't using Media Create.

No, They say when they are using internal figures or NPD for US numbers. It's in the bottom of their press releases (*Data regarding physical sales of games in March are from the NPD Group. Data regarding digital downloads of games and combined physical/digital life-to-date numbers are from Nintendo’s internal sales figures). While their 15 million 3DS announcement was "according to Nintendo’s internal sales figures".

Ah ok, thanks for correcting me. Do you have a link to that Animal Crossing sales update? Was that internal then?

Top Bottom