• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 24, 2016 (Jun 13 - Jun 19)

My point wasn't "Nintendo hasn't been working on new 3DS games because they're now working on the next handheld". It was "Nintendo has stopped working on 3DS games, so they can't really be launching their next handheld in late 2017"

That would mean 2 full years without a single internally-developped game on a handheld, which is just too much. I doubt they have enough "2nd party" stuff to fill in the line-up until late 2017, and I also doubt third-party will want to stick along for too long once holidays 2016 are over.
You asked: "What are they working on?" So let me explain with a point by point speculative list:
  • Key here. The base of the NX platform is the handheld. It's the baseline in terms of hardware.
  • Other form factors go from there an up.
  • By virtue of the above, at minimun, every handheld title can be played in the NX ecosystem.
  • Nintendo model now, is more about having their games, the 3rd party publisher's handheld games and Mobile software in general.
  • Mobile software a double edged sword? Maybe/maybe not if they make profits with hardware and offer something unique to that market in terms of control method.
  • Few, if any, Western 3rd party AAA games. Western publishers will support them with "Nintendo Audience" software.
  • When NX is released. Japan get's a handheld day one.
  • There are multiple ways to handle a home console launch in other territories. Like same Handheld hardware but with multi APU or just same architecture with spec bump.
If the above isn't happening, then it means Nintendo has lost interest in japan completely since the only way the can service Japan is with Handheld devices after all. i don't think they could have any innovation that can make the Japanese market change focus from mobile gaming to an stationary one. The next thing in that respect is VR and they are not pursuing it heavily so far.

Also, my "What is Nintendo working on right now?" comment wasn't a teaser of any sort, and not sure how it could be interpreted that way (especially given the post it's part of). Yes I know it wasn't specifically directed at me, but still making things clear for anyone thinking I know stuff (I really wish I did, though, ha ha).
The "teasing comment" was obviously not directed to you at all. But is good that we talk about it.

If you have inside knowledge of what the system is either say it or just don't say anything. Wording super vague statements doesn't add anything to the debate, it delutes the discussion and it comes as attention grabbing.

More over, there's nothing preventing a person with insight knowledge from sharing details in an "speculative" manner. So why this doesn't happen like ever?

Also which insiders have been right in the past and with what specifically?

zeromcd73

Hino just confirmed on live stream that the mysterious new game starting with the letter "I" is indeed Inazuma Eleven.

Surprise lol

Edit: Confirmed that you won't be going to space, time warps, or rulling the earth with soccer lol
Edit2: Anime cofirmed

Edit3: Confirmed a new Layton game will be announced at Level 5's event new month. No, this is not the Layton 7 iOS game, Hino confirmed this and said it is a proper adventure game.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
21./22. [3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2014.11.21} (¥4.571)
22./14. [PS4] Uncharted 4: A Thief's End # <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2016.05.10} (¥7.900)
23./21. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf [Nintendo Selects] <ETC> (Nintendo) {2016.03.17} (¥2.700)
24./07. [PS4] Project CARS <RCE> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.06.09} (¥7.200)
25./28. [PS4] UEFA EURO 2016: Winning Eleven 2016 <SPT> (Konami) {2016.04.21} (¥3.800)
26./25. [WIU] Mario Kart 8 # <RCE> (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} (¥5.700)
27./20. [PS4] Guilty Gear Xrd: Revelator # <FTG> (Arc System Works) {2016.05.26} (¥6.800)
28./09. [PS4] Mirror's Edge Catalyst <ACT> (Electronic Arts) {2016.06.09} (¥7.800)
29./27. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.571)
30./00. [PSV] Hakuoki: Shinkai Twin Pack {Hakuoki: Shinkai - Furi no Shou \ Hakuoki: Shinkai - Hana no Shou} <ADV> (Idea Factory) {2016.06.16} (¥10.600)
31./30. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2015.12.10} (¥8.400)
32./18. [PS4] Grand Ages: Medieval <SLG> (Ubisoft) {2016.06.09} (¥7.400)
33./37. [PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.12.03} (¥2.400)
34./32. [3DS] Monster Hunter Generations # <ACT> (Capcom) {2015.11.28} (¥5.800)
35./31. [PS4] Dark Souls III <RPG> (From Software) {2016.03.24} (¥7.430)
36./33. [WIU] Super Smash Bros. for Wii U # <FTG> (Nintendo) {2014.12.06} (¥7.200)
37./34. [3DS] Disney Art Academy <HOB> (Nintendo) {2016.04.07} (¥3.700)
38./26. [3DS] My Hero Academia: Battle for All <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.05.19} (¥5.700)
39./29. [WIU] Pokken Tournament # <FTG> (Pokemon Co.) {2016.03.18} (¥7.200)
40./39. [3DS] Tomodachi Life [Nintendo Selects] <ETC> (Nintendo) {2016.03.17} (¥2.700)
41./38. [3DS] Monster Strike <RPG> (Mixi) {2015.12.17} (¥4.500)
42./36. [3DS] Terraria <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft) {2016.04.21} (¥3.800)
43./42. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch Busters: Red Cat Team / White Dog Squad <ACT> (Level 5) {2015.07.11} (¥4.600)
44./40. [3DS] Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2015.07.30} (¥4.000)
45./45. [3DS] Disney Magic World 2 # <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.11.05} (¥5.690)
46./00. [PS4] Call of Duty: Black Ops III # <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.11.06} (¥7.900)
47./47. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Omise Hajimerundesu <ETC> (Nippon Columbia) {2015.11.19} (¥4.800)
48./00. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS <FTG> (Nintendo) {2014.09.13} (¥5.200)
49./48. [PS3] UEFA EURO 2016: Winning Eleven 2016 <SPT> (Konami) {2016.04.21} (¥3.800)
50./46. [3DS] Rhythm Heaven Megamix <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.06.11} (¥4.700)

Top 50

3DS - 21
PS4 - 15
PSV - 6
WIU - 5
PS3 - 3

SOFTWARE
Code:
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+
|System |  This Week |  Last Week |  Last Year |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |
|  ALL  |    288.000 |    447.000 |    404.000 | 12.976.000 | 15.001.000 |

Welp. Isn't that one also on declining number? And many of their newer game have been flopping? Japanese Industry is really having hard time there. Brexit sure is going to make it even worst there with the rising Japanese currency.T_T

Senran Kagura hasn't been declining though. The newest game (Estival Versus) is also the best selling game in the series and the DLC for it has done very well.

horuhe

Neither of these even made it into the top 10 at Rakuten? o_O

Nope. Only Caligula made it into the Top 20, 19th place. Pre-orders weren't big, it was 16th on its last day of reservations, but that's mostly because there are looots of other things being pre-ordered lately. The Last Guardian, and the soon releases of Super Robot Wars, Dragon's Dogma and Zero Time Dilemma are appearing during these days.

By the way, amiibos for Monster Hunter Stories opened yesterday for reservations, and were very popular.

TH-Work

Banned
I'm sure a lot of people will be shocked by the new Nintendo machine and I think not in a good way but we will see.

Hi :) Who are you, and why should we believe you? And why do you tell us that we will be shocked by the Nintendo NX when you don't know what the Nintendo NX is?

saichi

Ace Attorney 6 will fail to sell its first shipment.
Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3 sales increased this week according to both trackers, meaning that probably price drops started already.

All 3DS software is underperforming this year, Taiko it's this week victim. I know that it will have legs, but obviously in a slower pace than past entries.

Pre-orders for Yo-kai Watch 3 are very ugly (lower than Busters). But the big bombas of the year will probably be Puzzle & Dragons X and even Monster Hunter Stories pre-orders look very bad.

Didn't expect YW3 to do Busters level. I'm worried about Sun/Moon. :(

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Didn't expect YW3 to do Busters level. I'm worried about Sun/Moon. :(

I don't expect YW3 to do only Busters level numbers but even then when OR/AS has started showing legs when many had written off from last year and R/G/B/Y keeps selling, Sun / Moon is the only title you shouldn't worry.

Oregano

On Nintendoeverything there's post saying Yuu Miyake suggested Dragon Quest XI could have cross save between PS4 and 3DS using passwords. It just links to his twitter account. Is there any credence to that claim?

Hi :) Who are you, and why should we believe you? And why do you tell us that we will be shocked by the Nintendo NX when you don't know what the Nintendo NX is?

Lherre was right on WiiU during the wild speculations days. He was laughed at when he said it was somehow weaker in some aspects than xbox360.

He was a serious insider.he probably still is.

Vena

On Nintendoeverything there's post saying Yuu Miyake suggested Dragon Quest XI could have cross save between PS4 and 3DS using passwords. It just links to his twitter account. Is there any credence to that claim?

Did they scrap the two separate games concept then? Seems highly convoluted otherwise.

Oregano

Did they scrap the two separate games concept then? Seems highly convoluted otherwise.

I don't think they were ever two different games(like Nino Kuni), I actually think they said they were the same but with different presentation.

It still sounds like total BS though...

The impression I've gotten from various people in the industry at major publishers is that Nintendo has given Western publishers their mission statement/general vision for the system, but not the system itself, so I imagine things will be hazy for a while.

Like, I'm 98%+ positive Toys For Bob was being truthful when they said they didn't have any NX development kits.

Anything about Japanese folks aside from Tecmo Koei (known via their meeting back in April) and Square-Enix (semi-announcing DQ10 and 11)?

Vena

I don't think they were ever two different games(like Nino Kuni), I actually think they said they were the same but with different presentation.

It still sounds like total BS though...

Well they were completely different engines, and it didn't look like a 1:1 design. That was more what I was looking at... and to try to sink up that disparity level in development seems... difficult?

Lherre was right on WiiU during the wild speculations days. He was laughed at when he said it was somehow weaker in some aspects than xbox360.

He was a serious insider.he probably still is.

He's not talking from direct insider knowledge though, he's talking from hearsay. Different scenarios. And, note, I don't even have doubt here (people will inevitably be disappointed, but the statement in and of itself is so vacuous of specificity as to be entirely meaningless) I am just saying that presentation is different. (Also it just seems to be at odds with some of the other insiders from others threads saying opposite things on some ends. At the end of the day, I think there's just a lot of either misinformation or telephoning going on around this thing outside of Japan, whose devs are largely keeping their mouths shut and they've had, seemingly, development kits and tools since this time last year.)

Anything about Japanese folks aside from Tecmo Koei (known via their meeting back in April) and Square-Enix (semi-announcing DQ10 and 11)?

The WSJ report from last year on kits was likely almost entirely for Japanese partners. This is also why we are or have heard more from Japan than any western party (aside from very secretive stuff like the BG&E2 leak/rumor).

I'd imagine anyone outside of Japan that has long had a kit is likely going to be in the pool of "people we really like" like Ancel or some-such.

And of course, Geek got her hands on a kit or deep knowledge of one from somewhere and definitely not Japan from the sounds of it. So there are kits out in other hands but limited seemingly, and from what Geek said there's a lot of work on Nintendo's end this time around to not ship a pile of garbage for the dev tools.

Oregano

There was the Serkan Toto thing about Namco Bandai developing 5 NX games. Considering the timeframe I think Tekken might be one of them.

Vena

Do we expect EOV to grow from EOIV? Pre-orders seem to indicate a pretty substantial uptick in interest for this release.

By the way, amiibos for Monster Hunter Stories opened yesterday for reservations, and were very popular.

Curious. I missed this when you first posted it, hehe.

I wonder if this is fans of OG Monster Hunter, or collectors, or more an indication that while interest is present it is muted until products come to market. Stories is going to be interesting to follow as we approach release and, as duckroll noted, its not quit the usual fair so comparisons will be flawed on pre-orders and early movements.

Do we expect EOV to grow from EOIV? Pre-orders seem to indicate a pretty substantial uptick in interest for this release.

Honestly I'd be surprised, only because like with Ace Attorney, Taiko, and obviously Yo-kai Watch, you'd think there'd be severe fatigue by now with this series on 3DS:

Etrian Odyssey IV
Etrian Odyssey Untold
Etrian Mystery Dungeon
Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold
Etrian Odyssey V

These are pretty long RPGs, and the IP has been present usually once a year since IV. That's a lot. And honestly Dungeon aside is there much variety between them? Tales games to me feel more difference in each installment, hell those aren't even annual IIRC.

mao2

Added Persona's price. I left Hayarigami as 21yen because that's the price without taxes.
Ah OK. Also didn't see the image you posted earlier, my bad.

Media Create Sell-Through

01./00. [3DS] Taiko no Tatsujin: Don Don! Mystery Adventure <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.06.16} (¥4.800) - 32.369 / NEW <29,31%> [Units shipped => 110.437]

First Day Sell-Through {2016.06.23}

[3DS] Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns <SLG> (Marvelous) (¥4.980) - 40% maybe it doesn't decline

[PSV] Caligula <RPG> (FuRyu) (¥6.980) - 50-60% good start

[PSV] Refrain no Chika Meikyuu to Majo no Ryodan # <RPG> (Nippon Ichi Software) (¥5.980) - 70% good start but small shipment

[PS4] Umbrella Corps <STG> (Capcom) {2016.06.23} (¥5.990) - 30-40%

Open Air

[WIU] Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games <SPT> (Nintendo) (¥5.700)
[WIU] Minecraft: Wii U Edition <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) (¥3.600)

It doesn't mean they're selling bad. There's demand, specially for Minecraft. The problem is that limiting Wii U hardware supplies when new games launch makes no sense.
Looks like early impressions for Caligula and Refrain no Chika Meikyuu to Majo no Ryodan are good. Would be great if they both sell well.

horuhe

Interesting. I know to never use retailer impressions to gauge too much, but I feel like they're miles off with this (I'd expect both games to be above DQH Vita for example)

Yeah, but in this sense, on the note below the ranking it is written that pre-orders are counted as net sales, so that's why first days of the new games are not always the high we may expect.

I wonder if this is fans of OG Monster Hunter, or collectors, or more an indication that while interest is present it is muted until products come to market. Stories is going to be interesting to follow as we approach release and, as duckroll noted, its not quit the usual fair so comparisons will be flawed on pre-orders and early movements.

I think those are early customers, but I don't think it reflects interest in Stories. This game is not doing anything now, even though is open to reservations. Capcom is doing nothing to advertise the game and, as Hiska said, Monster Hunter games usually tend to do it in this way.

Looks like early impressions for Caligula and Refrain no Chika Meikyuu to Majo no Ryodan are good. Would be great if they both sell well.

Especially for Refrain that yesterday took the third place on the Rakuten Daily Ranking, so it's having kinda daily legs, and now it's out of stock.

u_neek

Persona 5 is tracking well ahead of Persona 4 in Comgnet's preorder chart.

At 81 days until release:
Persona 5, 74 pts (excluding preorders for the PS3 version, which hasn't yet entered the chart)
Persona 4, 34 pts

Bonus:

Tales titles 53 days before release:
Berseria: 127 pts (PS4+PS3)
Zestiria: 153 pts
Xillia 2: 192 pts

MANUELF

Banned

Persona 5, 74 pts (excluding preorders for the PS3 version, which hasn't yet entered the chart)
Persona 4, 34 pts

Bonus:

Tales titles 53 days before release:
Berseria: 127 pts (PS4+PS3)
Zestiria: 153 pts
Xillia 2: 192 pts
Did Persona 4 have a collectos edition?

mao2

Especially for Refrain that yesterday took the third place on the Rakuten Daily Ranking, so it's having kinda daily legs, and now it's out of stock.
Interesting. I just checked several online stores (Amazon Japan, Yodobashi.com, Joshin web, HMV Japan, Tsutaya etc) and most of them are out of stock too.

hiska-kun

Interesting. I just checked several online stores (Amazon Japan, Yodobashi.com, Joshin web, HMV Japan, Tsutaya etc) and most of them are out of stock too.

Well, 70% of the stock was sold on day one, and it's also known that the shipment is small.
For example, if they shipped 25k that means that only 7k copies were available for the rest of the weeks. Being out of stock is nothing surprising.

enishi

Every previous YW has exceeded my expectations. I'm expecting the collapse but I don't see already from YW3 to begin so quickly. Since there won't be a third version this time legs will be a little better and LTD shouldn't end so much behind YW2.

That the franchise has found its roof and downfall has started is given.

Level-5 has Sakai Masato in ad campaign.
http://www.youkai-watch.jp/yw3/topics/release160624.html

I don't think he fits the target audience...

Hiro wants to get some teenager/adult share?

mao2

Well, 70% of the stock was sold on day one, and it's also known that the shipment is small.
For example, if they shipped 25k that means that only 7k copies were available for the rest of the weeks. Being out of stock is nothing surprising.
Not surprised, just glad to see that it's doing well even if the shipment is tiny. Thought that this may end up getting lost in the crowd because Vita already has an abundance of DRPGs.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Week 26, 2016 (Jun 27 - Jul 03)

new releases

{2016.06.28}
[PS4] Resident Evil 5 _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Capcom) (¥2.593)
[XB1] Resident Evil 5 _Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Capcom) (¥2.600)

{2016.06.29}
[3DS] Battle of Elemental Reboost _3DS Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (AMZY) (¥462)
[3DS] Dot Paint _3DS Download Software_ |DL| <ETC> (Rainy Frog) (¥370)
[WIU] Blok Drop U _Wii U Download Software_ |DL| <PZL> (Cosen) (¥277)
[WIU] The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask _Wii U Virtual Console Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Nintendo) (¥1.142)
[WIU] Frontline _Wii U Virtual Console Version_ |DL| <STG> (Square Enix) (¥475)

{2016.06.30}
[3DS] Zero Time Dilemma <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft) (¥5.800)
[3DS] Zero Time Dilemma (&#949;) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft) (¥5.220)
[3DS] Shovel Knight <ACT> (Nintendo) (¥3.500)
[3DS] Shovel Knight (&#949;) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Nintendo) (¥2.000)
[PSV] Zero Time Dilemma <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft) (¥5.800)
[PSV] Zero Time Dilemma (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft) (¥5.220)
[PSV] Zettai Kaikyuu Gakuen: Eden with Roses and Phantasm <ADV> (Prototype) (¥6.400)
[PSV] Zettai Kaikyuu Gakuen: Eden with Roses and Phantasm (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Prototype) (¥5.278)
[PSV] The Walking Dead: Season Two - A Telltale Games Series <ADV> (Square Enix) (¥4.800)
[PSV] The Walking Dead: Season Two - A Telltale Games Series (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Square Enix) (¥3.800)
[WIU] Shovel Knight _Wii U Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (Nintendo) (¥2.000)
[PS4] Super Robot Wars OG: The Moon Dwellers # <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥8.200)
[PS4] Super Robot Wars OG: The Moon Dwellers (First Press Limited Edition) <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥11.800)
[PS4] Super Robot Wars OG: The Moon Dwellers (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥8.200)
[PS4] The Walking Dead: Season Two - A Telltale Games Series <ADV> (Square Enix) (¥5.800)
[PS4] The Walking Dead: Season Two - A Telltale Games Series (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Square Enix) (¥4.800)
[PS4] Dragon's Dogma Online: Season 2 <ACT> (Capcom) (¥7.800)
[PS4] Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition [Best Price] <ACT> (Capcom) (¥2.990)
[PS4] Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| [Best Price] <ACT> (Capcom) (¥2.769)
[XB1] Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (&#949;) _Download Version_ |DL| [Best Price] <ACT> (Capcom) (¥2.780)
[PS3] Super Robot Wars OG: The Moon Dwellers <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥8.200)
[PS3] Super Robot Wars OG: The Moon Dwellers (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥8.200)
[PS3] The Walking Dead: Season Two - A Telltale Games Series <ADV> (Square Enix) (¥5.800)
[PS3] The Walking Dead: Season Two - A Telltale Games Series (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Square Enix) (¥4.800)
[PS3] Dragon's Dogma Online: Season 2 <ACT> (Capcom) (¥7.800)
___

YSO predictions

01. [PS4] Super Robot Wars OG: The Moon Dwellers < 75k (average 65k)
02. [PS3] Super Robot Wars OG: The Moon Dwellers < 50k (average 45k)
03. [PS4] Dragon's Dogma Online: Season 2 < 30k (average 25k)
03. [3DS] Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns < 30k (average 25k)

Vena

Persona 4, 34 pts

The way the split is going with the SE over the standard, says that right now we're seeing established fans (high spender bracket) upfront and front loading the sales (read: pre-orders) compared to what we see for P3 and P4. The standard edition will be the one that will have the legs in the long run (or one would expect it to, anyway, if there would be legs as that would represent audience growth).

Look at EOV, for example, which is also high above its predecessor. Its doing much better in the standard edition than the special. This is the more expected behavior, and may be a sign of a series that is going to up entry over entry than down.

Ōkami

1. [3DS] Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns - 162
    [*][PSV] Refrain no Chika Meikyuu to Majo no Ryodan - 64
    [*][PSV] Caligula - 54
    [*][WIU] Minecraft: Wii U Edition - 47
  2. [3DS] Monster Hunter Generations - 46
  3. [WIU] Mario & Sonic at the Rio Olympic Games - 43
    [*][PSV] Refrain no Chika Meikyuu to Majo no Ryodan (Limited Edition) - 28
    [*][PS4] Umbrella Corps - 17
  4. [3DS] Taiko no Tatsujin: Don Don! Mystery Adventure - 17
  5. [PS3] Dragon Quest Heroes II: The Twin Kings and Prophecy's End - 15
  6. [3DS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice - 15