• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 26, 2016 (Jun 27 - Jul 03)

Stanng243

I'm curious how ZTD does in the west. I loved VLR, but I've never played 999 so I've got no interest in ZTD until they port 999 somewhere I can play it.

Bruno MB

Another week where every new "notable" release underperforms, Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns has been the only exception this month (June).

And Famitsu is once again late to the party.

Elios83

PS4 peaking at 20k is kinda tragic.

Maybe the baseline will increase after... FFXV?

Tragic?
It's pretty good. Not spectacular but this is the Japanese market for dedicated consoles these days.
Most people here were expecting it to fall a lot closer to 10k during summer.
With Persona 5, FFXV and potential price cut, Slim and Neo being announced at TGS things should get more interesting this fall.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Tragic?
It's pretty good. Not spectacular but this is the Japanese market for dedicated consoles these days.
Most people here were expecting it to fall a lot closer to 10k during summer.
With Persona 5, FFXV and potential price cut, Slim and Neo being announced at TGS things should get more interesting this fall.

That was an analyst prediction, not insider info (I suppose you're referring to the thread that popped up one-two weeks ago here) :p

Yasumi

Banned
Also I clearly remember a big narrative here about Taiko performing "horribly" on PS Vita because it did 100K.
Lol, I kind of miss Pennywise and his blatant agenda.
SC really dropped the ball all things considered, they released it on steam without the previous 2 games and during the summer sale. Having a discounted 999/VTR bundle would've been a decent trojan horse to ZTD.
They should've done that a long time ago, considering the length of the games. They're only really appealing to technophile 3DS/Vita owners at this point.

hiska-kun

1*: [3DS] Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games <SPT> (Nintendo) {2012.03.01} (¥4.800) - 43.155 / 241.138 <49,93%>
2*: [3DS] Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games <SPT> (Nintendo) {2016.02.18} (¥4.700) - 41.736 / * <0,00%>
Code:
+--+----------+----------+
|  |  MCreate |  MCreate |
|  |     1*   |     2*   |
|Wk|2012.03.01|2016.02.18|
|  |    to    |    to    |
|  |2012.07.15|2016.07.03|
| 1|    43.155|    41.736|
| 2|    23.587|    22.032|
| 3|    16.183|    18.391|
| 4|    16.731|    13.408|
| 5|    12.947|    12.078|
| 6|    10.364|    11.543|
| 7|     8.254|    10.294|
| 8|     6.104|     6.666|
| 9|     6.200|     4.388|
|10|    13.810|     3.781|
|11|     4.933|     4.956|
|12|     5.041|     7.040|
|13|     4.671|     2.417|
|14|     4.374|     2.319|
|15|     3.888|     2.903|
|16|     3.580|     3.344|
|17|     2.965|     3.263|
|18|     2.934|     3.845|
|19|          |     4.071|
|20|          |     4.502|

This is one of the few games this year that will outsell the previous entry. The London version never charted again after week 19, so a weekly comparison is impossible at this point. But we can understand that Rio is showing better legs and, with one month to go for the olympics, they will continue this summer.

Crazy hold for Coven. 44% in the second week is really solid. Decent numbers for Caligula too.

Oof, not much better.

Considering there's no PC ports of 999 or VLR yet and it was a full retail priced VN, that is actually a pretty great number for ZTD on Steam. Even the bigger named $30+ VNs on Steam can't pull those numbers without multiple sales, ZTD doing it at full price in this amount of time is amazing.

I also wouldn't look into those Coven numbers too much just yet, since the game had pretty big stock issues in it's first week.

Orgen

Also I clearly remember a big narrative here about Taiko performing "horribly" on PS Vita because it did 100K.

It'll have better legs and sell more than 100.000 for sure (closer to 200.000 than 150.000).

Poor numbers all around. How does the drop for Story of Seasons compare to the previou entry?

Takao

Banned
Moon Dwellers did about half of 2nd SRW OG's first week. I know it's not a full sequel, but RIP.
Should've made a Vita port.
inb4 "SEA/90% digital will save it"

Not sure why anyone is surprised about ZTD. VLR pushed only slightly better numbers. Continuity heavy franchises tend to trend downwards with successive entries. Older fans check out and the barrier to entry for new fans is high.

Minecraft Vita continues to not care that the Wii U version is out. Overwatch is putting in a solid showing, as did Coven's second week. I guess the slightly smaller than usual drop for DQH2 is due to the demo?

I also wouldn't look into those Coven numbers too much just yet, since the game had pretty big stock issues in it's first week.

Huh? It's definitely had a less-than-expected second week drop for a JRPG. See: Caligula this week for more.

04./00. [PSV] Demon Gaze <RPG> (Kadokawa Games) {2013.01.24} (¥6.090) - 25.316 / NEW <95,59%>
08./04. [PSV] Demon Gaze <RPG> (Kadokawa Games) {2013.01.24} (¥6.090) - 10.424 / 35.740 (-59%)

It's reminding me of Demon Gaze. Gridder with almost complete sellthrough first week that held very well in following weeks, and ended up being a big success for Experience Inc.

Aside from that, Coven seems to be getting very good word of mouth (feels like I haven't seen a Vita game with such good amazon.jp reviews in ages) so it all seems positive to me.

Korigama

I think Ace Attorney is closer to Point-n-Click than Visual Novel. It's like Monkey Island...but with Lawyers...in Japa...er...America!
Both the Ace Attorney games and the Zero Escape series combine visual novel and point-and-click elements (though ZTD ditched the visual novel aspect for a more cinematic approach).

Either way, nothing's particularly surprising about ZTD's Japanese sales, as the game never would've been made in the first place without the support of the franchise's Western fans.
I don't have any of those devices either. I know there was a thread here about ports, but I didn't see any platforms. I'm hoping for something good.
The iOS version is garbage (no, it's not good for just getting the story, particularly when so many interactions, so much dialogue, and entire events are omitted from the room escape segments thanks to that lack of exploration and puzzles), so it's just as well. Steam as one of the platforms for the port is pretty much a given at this point, so it's best to wait on that if playing the DS version isn't feasible.

Arsenic13

It might not be all doom and gloom for ZDT just yet.

JP Handhelds (10K) + Steam WW (9K) + NA & EU Handhelds (?) = ?. I'm curious what that overall is going to be and what their projections were to begin with.

Asd202

It might not be all doom and gloom for ZDT just yet.

JP Handhelds (10K) + Steam WW (9K) + NA & EU Handhelds (?) = ?. I'm curious what that overall is going to be and what their projections were to begin with.

Those numbers are abysmal.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The difference is that Sony and third-parties are clearly trying to make PS4 happen.

NX console won't have the same push.

Right. We're looking at what might be the best year of the PS4's life with the full force of Japanese publishers behind it, at least to the extent any of them can manage in the modern era.

Fall 2016 through Spring 2017 has triple whammy of Final Fantasy XV, Resident Evil 7, and Dragon Quest XI to boot, so I can't imagine something pushing the PS4 beyond that time slice.

Edit:

To be clear, I wasn't disagreeing with you. I realize this post could read the other way.

Mory Dunz

Moon Dwellers did about half of 2nd SRW OG's first week. I know it's not a full sequel, but RIP.
Should've made a Vita port.
inb4 "SEA/90% digital will save it"

Not sure why anyone is surprised about ZTD. VLR pushed only slightly better numbers. Continuity heavy franchises tend to trend downwards with successive entries. Older fans check out and the barrier to entry for new fans is high.

Minecraft Vita continues to not care that the Wii U version is out. Overwatch is putting in a solid showing, as did Coven's second week. I guess the slightly smaller than usual drop for DQH2 is due to the demo?

Wait why would that affect it?

Arsenic13

Those numbers are abysmal.

They are, but we're looking at a game that was budgeted as a small release plus we're missing sales figures for two regions. Not saying it will def turn around, but there's a potentially large chunk missing.

Also - was this game even marketed at all? The only buzz seems to have been from existing fans and reviewers.

I don't understand. Again, I ask, what sort of numbers were PS1-PS3 pulling on a weekly basis at the same point for PS4's numbers to be "tragic"? Never mind Japan in 2016 being an absolute mess compared to what it was in those previous generations.

Where is the context and perspective? The amount of devs pushing the PS4 is simply a piece of the puzzle.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Right. We're looking at what might be the best year of the PS4's life with the full force of Japanese publishers behind it, at least to the extent any of them can manage in the modern era.

Fall 2016 through Spring 2017 has triple whammy of Final Fantasy XV, Resident Evil 7, and Dragon Quest XI to boot, so I can't imagine something pushing the PS4 beyond that time slice.

PS3/PS4 hw comparisons were posted at past threads and launch allingned PS4 will start falling a lot behing at the beginning of next year when PS3 slim launched.

Maniel

Banned
I don't understand. Again, I ask, what sort of numbers were PS1-PS3 pulling on a weekly basis at the same point for PS4's numbers to be "tragic"? Never mind Japan in 2016 being an absolute mess compared to what it was in those previous generations.

Where is the context and perspective? The amount of devs pushing the PS4 is simply a piece of the puzzle.

The highest week 27 (which would be this week without the weird 53 week 2015) for ps3 is 22.900 back in 2011. I don't know about ps1 and ps2 though.

PS3/PS4 hw comparisons were posted at past threads and launch allingned PS4 will start falling a lot behing at the beginning of next year when PS3 slim launched.

His question was asking about if 20k baseline was terrible like Sammy Samusu said.

Edit: nvm you quoted Nirolak

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah, and to be clear, I wasn't disagreeing with him. It's pretty much just over for consoles at this point, at least as being something beyond a niche market.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Chris1964 said:
Considering PS4 looks like it'll be getting Slim and High end SKUs within that time-frame also (along with presumably a base-price drop), wouldn't that impact the predictions somewhat (or at least relegate them to software release comparisons more than any hw-launch advantages).

Vena

Considering PS4 looks like it'll be getting Slim and High end SKUs within that time-frame also (along with presumably a base-price drop), wouldn't that impact the predictions somewhat (or at least relegate them to software release comparisons more than any hw-launch advantages).

There is no slim as far as anyone is aware.

And Japan won't care about the Neo.

On the flip side, Nintendo has healthy, major IPs for the market. Sony has failed in cultivating anything internal, and third parties are failing to find strong successes or growing bases with standard IP marching (if they don't launch on the Vita). Nintendo has the healthiest and strongest stable to pull from, the question would be how they do so, if a handheld is involved (or when one gets involved), and when they do so.

Splatoon 2, at this point, feels like a more relevant would-be release than most third party and first party offerings in Japan.

Well before that PS4 should make some kind of gap to the PS3 considering what it's getting during the fall. Probably not enough that it will not fall behind PS3's pace when PS3 gets Slim/XIII combination but we shall see.

Alrus

I'm surprised at you guys' reaction to ZTD sales, that was to be expected. The only reason this exists is because of western sales of VLR on Vita/3DS.

Another title doing horribly doesn't mean Taiko Vita didn't do horrible too. The previous 3DS and Wii (and I think even PSP) versions sold much better.

Asd202

On the flip side, Nintendo has healthy, major IPs for the market. Sony has failed in cultivating anything internal, and third parties are failing to find strong successes or growing bases with standard IP marching (if they don't launch on the Vita). Nintendo has the healthiest and strongest stable to pull from, the question would be how they do so, if a handheld is involved (or when one gets involved), and when they do so.

Splatoon 2, at this point, feels like a more relevant would-be release than most third party and first party offerings in Japan.

You say that but look at the Wii U sales. Same games are not going to cut it. It needs something more.

Mory Dunz

There are probably a lot more families and kids with a Wii U than a Vita.

But I don't know how much overlap there is in the userbases though.
If the Vita userbase doesn't own Wii U's, why would their minecraft buying habits change with the release of the Wii U version.

Sterok

This is one of the few games this year that will outsell the previous entry. The London version never charted again after week 19, so a weekly comparison is impossible at this point. But we can understand that Rio is showing better legs and, with one month to go for the olympics, they will continue this summer.
Any reason this game in particular is staying strong compared to its predecessor?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

My issue with this argument is that those all exist on the Wii U and that's not exactly going places.

If you mean you expect their handheld to do well though, that's presumably going to be the primary Gen 9 dedicated platform in Japan.

Yeah, and to be clear, I wasn't disagreeing with him. It's pretty much just over for consoles at this point, at least as being something beyond a niche market.

Japan will be just like a EU country for Sony when it comes to the console market sales.
Still i don't think the games that coming out are about pushing the PS4 and more about just selling software for there companies .
Them selling some consoles is just a side a effect but most of these companies already know Japan is a dead end .

Shovel Knight videos have been playing at Nintendo displays for months now, too bad it didn't get more traction.

It'll be weird if ZTD bombs. The series is really well regarded online with a dedicated fanbase, and the games review well. I didn't know the WW Steam numbers were that low, I thought it would do well there.

Asd202

Japan will be just like a EU country for Sony when it comes to the console market sales.
Still i don't think the games that coming out are about pushing the PS4 and more about just selling software for there companies .
Them selling some consoles is just a side a effect but most these companies already know Japan is a dead end .

Isn't UK like close? When it comes to home console market overall it should be bigger than Japan thanks to Xbox. If I'm not mistaken.

Jucksalbe

Banned
So about 10-12 weeks until the PS4 finally overtakes the WiiU? Probably right before the release of FFXV unless something else significantly pushes console sales until then.

Top Bottom