• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 27, 2016 (Jul 04 - Jul 10)

hiska-kun

Tsutaya's Ranking Week 28 2016

01./00. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sushi <RPG> (Level 5)
02./00. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Tempura <RPG> (Level 5)

03./02. [3DS] Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns <SLG> (Marvelous)
04./00. [PSV] Uppers <FTG> (Marvelous)
05./00. [PSV] The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd Evolution <RPG> (Kadokawa Games)

06./05. [WIU] Minecraft: Wii U Edition <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios)
07./08. [WIU] Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games <SPT> (Nintendo)
08./06. [PSV] Refrain no Chika Meikyuu to Majo no Ryodan <RPG> (Nippon Ichi Software)
09./03. [PS4] Super Robot Wars OG: The Moon Dwellers <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games)
10./01. [3DS] Culdcept Revolt <TBL> (Nintendo)
11./09. [PS4] Overwatch <ACT> (Square Enix)
12./07. [3DS] Taiko no Tatsujin: Don Don! Mystery Adventure <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games)
13./04. [PS3] Super Robot Wars OG: The Moon Dwellers <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games)
14./13. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment)
15./12. [3DS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice <ADV> (Capcom)
16./16. [3DS] Kirby: Planet Robobot <ACT> (Nintendo)
17./10. [PSV] Dragon Quest Heroes II: Futago no Ou to Yogen no Owari <RPG> (Square Enix)
18./20. [3DS] Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games <SPT> (Nintendo)
19./17. [WIU] Splatoon <ACT> (Nintendo)
20./27. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan)

Ōkami

So, in the end it was Floppers.

Reading YSO predictions, if they're correct for the first 2 weeks of Yokai Watch 3 then it'll take 3 more than 2 weeks to sell what Shinuchi did on its opening week.

Good lord, so Upper did bad. Not that surprised based on everything I've seen and heard, but when it was first revealed I thought it'd at least push Kenka Bancho numbers (but without the legs).

Ys VIII gonna be the next Vita game to underperform? It's a shame, because there's a few things that have done better than I was expecting on it this year.

Shahed

I don't get it? Was Tales of Zestiria rereleased on the Ps4 or something? I've owned a copy since Christmas.

It released PS3 only initially in Japan. It was in the West where it came out on PS4, PS4 and PC. This was the PS4 release in Japan.

Good lord, so Upper did bad. Not that surprised based on everything I've seen and heard, but when it was first revealed I thought it'd at least push Kenka Bancho numbers (but without the legs).

Ys VIII gonna be the next Vita game to underperform? It's a shame, because there's a few things that have done better than I was expecting on it this year.

The delayed PS4 release next year will do a lot worse.

L~A

Unsurprisingly, the second Yo-kai Watch movie was also hit by the "second movie curse".

- Theatres (1st week): 974 557 tickets sold / 1 057 808 800 yen (I don't remember sales for first movie, but it reached 1m tickets sold even before opening so second movie opened much lower)
- DVD: 32 004 units (~85 000 units for the first movie), best-selling animation DVD and best-selling DVD
- Blu-Ray: 4 565 units (~14 000 units for the first movie), #3 best-selling animation Blu-Ray, and #6 best-selling Blu-Ray

To me, it looks like the Yo-kai Watch series has transitioned from "Craze" to "Really popular". I have to admit I expected that to happen after YW3, but then again, I wasn't expecting Level-5 to "delay" YW3 (was expecting yearly releases).

Real test for the franchise will be the gen switch. It's always a bloodbath for many series, and especially for Level-5's (Inazuma Eleven switch to 3DS wasn't pretty). So it'll be interesting to see what happens with YW.

I definitely believe the franchise is here to stay, but that will all depend on the switch to the new gen. Of course, there's a lot Level-5 doesn't control directly (ie: how well the 3DS successor sell).

The delayed PS4 release next year will do a lot worse.

Undoubtedly. It seems to be getting very little hype on Vita though. I know Memories of Celceta "only" opened at 40k, but even that seems out of reach for this one.

Tokyo Xanadu will be an interesting one to measure how much PS4 audience is there for late ports like this. TX was a lot more popular than Ys will be too.

L~A

Here's something for Ryng_Tolu:

Yo-kai Watch back in the Top 5 in France, and #1 for June in Spain (second month in a row).

EU sales seem significantly better than in North America. Such a shame we're not getting any concrete data for the whole region.

Seems like Uppers bombed as expected. I've been following the gameplay trailers of this game and they always look so boring. Not sure what type of game they try to achieve.

Ryng_tolu

Banned

Yo-kai Watch back in the Top 5 in France, and #1 for June in Spain (second month in a row).

I always follow PAL chart thread, i already pointed this a week ago...
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=209670813&postcount=18

Anyway, if you wanna know numbers, for Spain the last know numbers were 43,000 by June 19.

Weekly sales:

Cluh8TaWEAAV87P.jpg:large

Should be easy over 60,000 now (retail).

It is also doing very good in Italy, was in TOP 10 monthly for April, May, and June.

EU sales seem significantly better than in North America.

Why you think so? It sold 400K in NA, and no way it will stop here. That's pretty good.

Maybe guys believe is doing way better in Europe countries only because you see the chart, but that's not really how this work. Those are slow weeks, of course we see it charting.

In NA it released in the holidays, when the sales were insane for software and hardware, of course it didn't chart. This doesn't mean numbers are bad.

When all is said and done, Yokai Watch should easy sell over 1 million in the west anyway. Pretty amazing if you ask me.

Seems like Uppers bombed as expected. I've been following the gameplay trailers of this game and they always look so boring. Not sure what type of game they try to achieve.

Takaki was way too ambitious basically. There's a good game buried in there dragged down by a ton of questionable design choices. If you're curious I've posted my impressions on it in the Vita games thread.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Btw not the right thread for this, but did I miss the npd thread this month completely? I don't recall seeing it? I mean, I've been super busy lately and not super present but I feel like I got ma numbers like awhile ago but don't remember seeing a thread on it

Ōkami

Btw not the right thread for this, but did I miss the npd thread this month completely? I don't recall seeing it? I mean, I've been super busy lately and not super present but I feel like I got ma numbers like awhile ago but don't remember seeing a thread on it
Official report doesn't get released until Thursday, so no new thread til then, people are discussing it on the predictions thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1241827

casiopao

EU sales seem significantly better than in North America. Such a shame we're not getting any concrete data for the whole region.

You called the wrong person lol. Sammy is the one who would love this new lol.^_^

Guess Mario and Sonic is staying put until the olympics.

Not even Zika can killed this two beloved mascot lol.

Edit: Uups forget. It seems the delayed end up making Uppers become Floppers lol.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Lol. Not only Sammy in joining this Youkai train lol. Even Tolu is going to town lol.^^

Ok let's discuss about what is this "Yokai Watch" train... i reported the RIGHT numbers who people in this thread never noted, even if they always talk about "how this game can do in the west????? :eek: :eek: :eek:" but they are too bored for see the PAL / NPD thread.

So i reported to those people, INCLUDING YOU, how Yokai Watch is doing in Spain... and guess, is doing insane.

Is not? Is doing better than ALL games after Uncharted 4, is crushing a game like The Division which is the bigger new IP ever, and is crushing games like Dark Souls III or Far Cry Primal which sold very good. This is not insane for a Jrpg? Yes, it is. And that's all i said, never talked about worldwide domination or thing like this, like Sammy did, cause they are obvius wrong.

Noooooow, let's see how i talked about Yokai Watch 3.............

Yeah, really joining in the Yokai train ;P

Keep in mind that i don't even played Yokai Watch, (well i will cause looks interesting), and literally i don't care if this series is doing good or bad, well of course i hope for the best of level 5, but if the series is doing bad then you see what i did.

In this case, in the west is doing good, and in Spain is doing insane /fact.

L~A

Level-5 sent PR for YW sales.

- Series: 10 million units (July 11th 2013 to July 17th 2016). Includes all 7 games on Wii U / 3DS, but only physical (no digital).
- Best-selling entry is Yo-kai Watch 2 (original versions) with 3,178,000 units sold.
- Yo-kai Watch 3: 581 000 units (2 days)

FW sales for previous Yo-kai Watch games (Famitsu via Game Data Library):

Yo-kai Watch (2013): 52 901 units
Yo-kai Watch 2: Ganso / Honke (2014): 1 281 096 units
Yo-kai Watch 2: Shin Uchi (2014): 1 211 918 units
Yo-kai Watch Busters (2015): 688 386
Yo-kai Sangokushi (2016): 263 637

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah, it seems the brand is still huge, but the insane craze of 2014 is over (see also the movie's result posted earlier). What a drop, though.

tansuikabutsu

Neo Member
You're comparing full 7 day sales figures (the previous games were released on Thursdays), to a 2 day Saturday-Sunday figure taken on a 3-day weekend.

This drop isn't surprising to me at all. What was actually surprising to me was the Busters sales, but I think Busters became people's fix after YW3 got delayed, and now YW3 is released outside of the "fever pitch" era of Yokai. Pretty steep drop but the comgnet numbers were a big indicator.

L~A

Splatoon LIVE in Makuhari sales: 10 345 units during launch week (8th best-selling album)

http://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/ja/w/2016-07-25/

As comparison, Splatune sold 43 000 units during first week. Pretty impressive result for a live album, especially one with only two new tracks (and multiple versions of other tracks). It's not often you see VG music charting.

casiopao

Ok let's discuss about what is this "Yokai Watch" train... i reported the RIGHT numbers who people in this thread never noted, even if they always talk about "how this game can do in the west????? :eek: :eek: :eek:" but they are too bored for see the PAL / NPD thread.

So i reported to those people, INCLUDING YOU, how Yokai Watch is doing in Spain... and guess, is doing insane.

Is not? Is doing better than ALL games after Uncharted 4, is crushing a game like The Division which is the bigger new IP ever, and is crushing games like Dark Souls III or Far Cry Primal which sold very good. This is not insane for a Jrpg? Yes, it is. And that's all i said, never talked about worldwide domination or thing like this, like Sammy did, cause they are obvius wrong.

Noooooow, let's see how i talked about Yokai Watch 3.............

Yeah, really joining in the Yokai train ;P

Keep in mind that i don't even played Yokai Watch, (well i will cause looks interesting), and literally i don't care if this series is doing good or bad, well of course i hope for the best of level 5, but if the series is doing bad then you see what i did.

In this case, in the west is doing good, and in Spain is doing insane /fact.

............. i am just joking though.T_T

Level-5 sent PR for YW sales.

- Series: 10 million units (July 11th 2013 to July 17th 2016). Includes all 7 games on Wii U / 3DS, but only physical (no digital).
- Best-selling entry is Yo-kai Watch 2 (original versions) with 3,178,000 units sold.
- Yo-kai Watch 3: 581 000 units (2 days)

FW sales for previous Yo-kai Watch games (Famitsu via Game Data Library):

Yo-kai Watch (2013): 52 901 units
Yo-kai Watch 2: Ganso / Honke (2014): 1 281 096 units
Yo-kai Watch 2: Shin Uchi (2014): 1 211 918 units
Yo-kai Watch Busters (2015): 688 386
Yo-kai Sangokushi (2016): 263 637

Thats....bad. i mean very bad number there.T_T Guess Pokemon is going to survive another era then. Time to look for another Pokemon killer. T_T

Orgen

Maybe the 3DS (active user base) is also to blame for all these disappointing SW numbers we're seeing lately? Too many titles in a row selling fewer units than expected...

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Maybe the 3DS (active user base) is also to blame for all these disappointing SW numbers we're seeing lately? Too many titles in a row selling fewer units than expected...

I'd say that the current age of 3DS can foster a weaker software environment overall, but I wouldn't say it's the only factor impacting specific titles' sales. For example, Joker 3 was also affected by the low priority given by Square-Enix itself to the game, while Yokai Watch 3's decrese can be attributed to the franchise falling from last years' craze.

I was always thinking COMG's indicators weren't an indicator of the whole market, but damn, lower than Busters. Generational transition might be rough for this IP.

Wonder what they're gonna do with it now. I'm sure it's still making plenty of money, but still.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Hino also noted that children play with smartphones more frequently in Japan nowadays:

After releasing their smartphone app Yo-kai Watch PuniPuni [Wibble Wobble in the West], Hino and the company has been astounded by its success. Level-5 will focus more on smartphone compatibility, and Hino even goes on to mention that he hopes to see all future titles from the company be compatible with smartphone, meaning he wants all future console titles have a way to be played via smartphone. Hino expects to have some kind of rule on how these console games will be carried onto smartphone, but he has realized that kids today are starting to play games on smartphone and felt a change in generation when looking back not so long ago when all the boys in first grade would only talk about the Nintendo 3DS. He feels that smartphone presence in the industry will only continue to grow.

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2016/06/1...6-plenty-new-starts-2017/#O80bfJbBFf3k4FC3.99

I imagine there's an extent to which it's harder to sell a 4800+ yen product when kids are preoccupied playing Dragon Quest of the Stars, Monster Strike, and Rune Story.

casiopao

I don't think 3DS active user base is that bad though. I just feel YW is finally dropping from its craze period and now stabilizing in very popular position...... the gigantic drop does not makes sense though.T_T

Maybe mobile is killing everybody in Japan faster than we thought.

Top Bottom