• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 27, 2016 (Jul 04 - Jul 10)

Orgen

I'd say that the current age of 3DS can foster a weaker software environment overall, but I wouldn't say it's the only factor impacting specific titles' sales. For example, Joker 3 was also affected by the low priority given by Square-Enix itself to the game, while Yokai Watch 3's decrese can be attributed to the franchise falling from last years' craze.

Ok, and what was the cause for AA6? And Kirby? And Taiko? And Culdcept? I'm not saying is the only factor but it's a factor and I think an important one too. We could spend several pages listing other causes like low budget, recycled monsters, series declining... etc. but there are other reasons for these declines.

Hino also noted that children play with smartphones more frequently in Japan nowadays:

I imagine there's an extent to which it's harder to sell a 4800+ yen product when kids are preoccupied playing Dragon Quest of the Stars, Monster Strike, and Rune Story.

I don't think price is an issue. Didn't Yokai 2 sell 3 million when all the kids where playing Monster Strike and Puzzle Dragons on mobile?

I don't think 3DS active user base is that bad though. I just feel YW is finally dropping from its craze period and now stabilizing in very popular position...... the gigantic drop does not makes sense though.T_T

Maybe mobile is killing everybody in Japan faster than we thought.

Pokemon will be the definitive scale for this. I think is going to sell more tan X/Y but if it sells less then we can say for sure that the active user base for 3DS is shrinking and all the SW is being affected by this.

Zhao_Yun

Splatoon LIVE in Makuhari sales: 10 345 units during launch week (8th best-selling album)

http://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/ja/w/2016-07-25/

As comparison, Splatune sold 43 000 units during first week. Pretty impressive result for a live album, especially one with only two new tracks (and multiple versions of other tracks). It's not often you see VG music charting.

Definitely a very good result, but in my experience it is not that rare for VG music to chart in the Oricon rankings.

noshten

Yokai bombing, XV looks like a bomb
Persona seems like the only game on track to not see a contraction of the game sales.

What other major games(outside of Pokemon) are coming out this year?

hiska-kun

Puzzle & Dragons X will be the next bomba. Pre-orders are horrible, below P&D Super Mario Edition.

Monster Hunter Stories doesn't feel good either. Year of bombas indeed.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Late to the party but, HOLY SHIT YOKAI WATCH BOMBA!!!!!

Not only is under Busters, but even by a huge margin lol.

Call it now: Pokèmon Moon and Sun first week will outsell Yokai Watch 3 lifetime.

I hope EOV can buck this year's trend somewhat and outdo EOIV.

I think that Yokai can do at least 2 million, so no, FFXV won't beat it.

I'm not certain about 2m. Busters got there, but with incredible legs. YW3's more modest opening makes me wonder if it can sustain good sales like Busters did.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ok, and what was the cause for AA6? And Kirby? And Taiko? And Culdcept? I'm not saying is the only factor but it's a factor and I think an important one too. We could spend several pages listing other causes like low budget, recycled monsters, series declining... etc. but there are other reasons for these declines.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough, I'll try to explain better.

I'm not saying there is no age factor, that the active user base is in no way decreasing, thus there's no effect on the whole software environment. Actually, I said that, due to 3DS's age (almost 5 years and a half old), there is an age factor that affects the whole software environment, weakening it. However, I also said that, given this as a basis, some titles are getting more affected than others due to other factors.

For example, Kirby has surely declined from Triple Deluxe, but it's keeping on selling, and the drop is not that bad compared to TD; Harvest Moon is around 30,000 copies behind its predecessor and Mario & Sonic could actually sell better than London 2012 in the long run.

Other titles suffered bigger declines, because there were also other factors, stacking on each other. As already said, for example, Joker 3 had SE not giving to it enough promotion (also, I'd say the huge amount of Dragon Quest releases in the past few months impacted its overall potential), Yokai Watch 3 has the craze that ended (it's still huge now, but no "Pokémon killer" anymore).

Taiko results could be also explained by how the series tend to sell less as time goes by on the same platform, which one major exception: the last Taiko released on Wii is the second best selling one, and one of the best selling Taikos overall. However, it's undoubtful Taiko results are low even when you factor in this trend. Culdcept...I seriously don't know, unless the pre-release demo attached to the pre-loading made the game sell to well digitally that it eroded retail sales, but I doubt it's what actually happened (even if I am expecting digital sales to make up a bit for teh Culdcept-to-CR's drop, but not entirely).

I hope it's clear what I meant (more or less) earlier.

Orgen

I'm not certain about 2m. Busters got there, but with incredible legs. YW3's more modest opening makes me wonder if it can sustain good sales like Busters did.

Didn't YW2 had better legs than Busters? I expect YW3 to have better legs than Busters but we'll see.

I'm not saying there is no age factor, that the active user base is in no way decreasing, thus there's no effect on the whole software environment. Actually, I said that, due to 3DS's age (almost 5 years and a half old), there is an age factor that affects the whole software environment, weakening it. However, I also said that, given this as a basis, some titles are getting more affected than others due to other factors.

For example, Kirby has surely declined from Triple Deluxe, but it's keeping on selling, and the drop is not that bad compared to TD; Harvest Moon is around 30,000 copies behind its predecessor and Mario & Sonic could actually sell better than London 2012 in the long run.

Other titles suffered bigger declines, because there were also other factors, stacking on each other. As already said, for example, Joker 3 had SE not giving to it enough promotion (also, I'd say the huge amount of Dragon Quest releases in the past few months impacted its overall potential), Yokai Watch 3 has the craze that ended (it's still huge now, but no "Pokémon killer" anymore).

Taiko results could be also explained by how the series tend to sell less as time goes by on the same platform, which one major exception: the last Taiko released on Wii is the second best selling one, and one of the best selling Taikos overall. However, it's undoubtful Taiko results are low even when you factor in this trend. Culdcept...I seriously don't know, unless the pre-release demo attached to the pre-loading made the game sell to well digitally that it eroded retail sales, but I doubt it's what actually happened (even if I am expecting digital sales to make up a bit for teh Culdcept-to-CR's drop, but not entirely).

That's the thing: If someone reads your post it'll paint you like a Nintendo apologist. It's always the Publisher's fault or the game not doing so bad or the series declining... but Nintendo is not doing anything to keep the active user base on 3DS and avoiding them to move to mobile. Maybe the price cut will help but it should've been done already IMO because all these titles are being affected by the "poor" HW sales and people migrating to mobile.

hiska-kun

Didn't YW2 had better legs than Busters? I expect YW3 to have better legs than Busters but we'll see.

YW busters was charting on the Top 20 until april this year. YW2 until january of 2015 (not counting Shin Uchi that was released in December 2014 and killed the other versions).

L~A

Etrian Odyssey fanbase is more "loyal" (and less prone to switch to mobile), and since it's brand new entry with a lots of effort put into, I don't think EOV will do worse than EOIV. Roughly the same as EOIV is the worst I'm expecting... though with the current trend of underperforming titles, I'm so NOT confident in that one, ha ha.

In my opinion, all those games had "issues" on their own, which were exacerbated by the combination of aging 3DS, and tougher + tougher market conditions for dedicated gaming machines.

Without mobile, I think the drop would have been smaller (but still there). Just my two cents.

I think the blog is hinting that YW3 shipment is one million.

Feels weird to have a Yo-kai Watch game not sell out at launch. Not that retailers will have trouble selling everything.

YW2 had its leg cut by the third version in December. YW3 shouldn't have one (at least not this year), so legs should not be the same.

L~A

Media Create:

New3DS LL 23,382
PS4 20,395
Vita 10,991
Wii U 7,601
New3DS 3,665
PS3 1,045
3DS 653
3DS LL 106
Xbox One 63

632k for YW3! Weird difference with Famitsu...

Ryng_tolu

Banned
I always thought that Splatoon was gonna become bigger than Yokai Watch in Japan... but not before a sequel.

Looks like is ALREADY bigger.

I remember a discussion about which game was more impressive between Splatoon 1 and Yokai Watch 1...

I think the answer is obvius at this point. ;)

Top Bottom