• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 29, 2015 (Jul 13 - Jul 19)

sörine

Banned
Well but is it passive 3D on not ?

540p with 3D would be 270 and even 720 would be 360.
This doesn't make sense really. Auto stereoscopic 3D doesn't halve your total resolution (only horizontal pixels), and we refer to 3DS as 240p.

If NX has 3D display (which I doubt sadly) it'll still be at 540p+.

random25

Also, this confirms another million (definitely multimillion) seller for the 3DS.

So far, the million sellers have been:

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Pokemon X/Y
Pokemon OmegaRuby/AlphaSaphire
Mario Kart 7
Super Mario 3D Land
New Super Mario Bros. 2
Yokai Watch
Yokai Watch 2
Yokai Watch 2.5
Dragon Quest VII
Yokai Watch Busters (just a formality at this point)

Games that will almost certainly sell a million:

Dragon Quest XI
Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer
Yokai Watch 3

Maybe:
Dragon Quest VIII (doubt this will because of it also being available on mobile)

Anything else that I missed that has or has the potential to sell that much?

MH3G, MH4, MH4G, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, P&D Z and Tomodachi Life have reached a million at least.

Socordia

Banned
So I was stupid?

Thanks.

I never really doubted it but never said it would be either.

Satoru Iwata said nintendo-like profits with a clear fiscal year, they cannot archive this without a new generation with new hardware and for your question i was more talking about
people who was convinced that nintendo its not gonna let wii u die next year for that i´m sorry.

E-phonk

Banned
Well but is it passive 3D on not ?

540p with 3D would be 270 and even 720 would be 360.

The exact quote was "It's higher than you think, but lower than some hope for." in a discussion between some claiming 480p as "realistic for nintendo" and 1080p as "what nintendo should do".
So hence the speculation 540p or 720p.

No mentions of 3D.

Redhood

sörine;173199222 said:
Insiders on GAF revealed it's higher than that. Speculation seems to be 540p or 720p.

Oh! So we do have some insider info! That means it is a handheld too. Wow! Bring it on Nintendo.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Nirolak, where are you? We need your long and wide analysis.

Jigorath

Banned
Nirolak, where are you? We need your long and wide analysis.

You don't really need much analysis for this. Multiplat development is the way forward for Japan. As long as NX is comparable in power to PS4 and has UE4 support then we'll see a lot of announcements like this.

I'm guessing that the NX version of DQXI is based on the 3DS version and not the PS4 version. Not sure an open-world UE4 game can be adequately downported to mobile hardware.

E-phonk

Banned
Not sure an open-world UE4 game can be adequately downported to mobile hardware.
Why wouldn't they, they even have a version of UE4 mobile. Sure it'll be less detailed and lower resolution (540p instead of 1080p) but otherwise there wouldn't be a reason a modern handheld couldn't handle it. DQXI PS4 looks nice, but not that nice that it seems impossible to downport. A game like that could've been on Vita if it would've support UE4 (which officially VITA does not).

Hope the 3DS version comes to the west though, I really like how it looks.

Why wouldn't they, they even have a version of UE4 mobile. Sure it'll be less detailed and lower resolution (540p instead of 1080p) but otherwise there wouldn't be a reason a modern handheld couldn't handle it. DQXI PS4 looks nice, but not that nice that it seems impossible to downport. A game like that could've been on Vita if it would've support UE4 (which officially VITA does not).

Hope the 3DS version comes to the west though, I really like how it looks.

I'm not questioning whether NX can run the *engine*.

hiska-kun

Tsutaya says that Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer pre-orders are strong and current expectations are higher than previously thought.

Regarding Sengoku Basara 4 Sumeragi, the PS3 version is mainly bought by women, and the PS4 version by men.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'm busy at work. Gematsu say DQ11 NX isn't 100%. Can someone verify either way? Thanks!

Official PR from SE:
"Additionally, we are also considering launching on Nintendo’s in development NX platform." (for both DQX and DQXI)
In the conference they said it more straight to the point, if I'm correct.
I think that officially being the console still to be revealed, this is the "best" they can do. being the console still to come, it could also happen to see the NX versions cancelled, of course., but to me the message seem pretty clear

Spiegel

So, both DQXI games will release at the same time.

That will be a great day for sales-age. Both games look so awesome.

disco

Official PR from SE:
"Additionally, we are also considering launching on Nintendo’s in development NX platform." (for both DQX and DQXI)
In the conference they said it more straight to the point, if I'm correct.
I think that officially being the console still to be revealed, this is the "best" they can do. being the console still to come, it could also happen to see the NX versions cancelled, of course., but to me the message seem pretty clear

I agree - whilst it still is uncertain - late announced ports usually negatively impact the original platform's sales (Biohazard 4 for GC and PS2). Though of course this all depends on the strength of the original platform, and I guess is a case by case scenario.

I think the NX version of DQXI might be a hybrid of both versions? An 'International Version/Game of the Year' scenario? Who knows, it's all pure speculation at this point, this announcement, non-announcement of NX support, is anybody's guess really.

Apologies for my inconsistent rambling!

I'm stunned by the NX announcements, honeslty. yes, it could be a "normal" handheld and receive the 3DS enanched version of both DQX and DQXI, but still...it seems a very good way to start your console (especially if handheld, actually) in Japan, isn't it?
I wonder if that Nintendo meeting could deliver some surprise...

Obviously is a good thing. We are talking about huge brands here, that usually skip console launches waiting for massive install bases. Having them on board from the beginning could clearly communicate the message that those brands will not be in the future, but are from the beginning, on that platform.
of course there should be also exclusive contents, but having "ports" doens't preclude to have also brand new contents aside.
If we look back the 3DS launched with a port, but from Street Fighter IV. If DQ substitute SF as "launch port" I'd say that is a good thing for the console itself.

Nintendo will surely have some exclusive content lined up for launch too. This is really good news for the NX.

NX just got a lot more interesting. Can't wait for the reveal.

Hoping for a handheld with PSV++ power that can support modern engines and get PS4 ports.
This is what I'm expecting.

crinale

I'm guessing that the NX version of DQXI is based on the 3DS version and not the PS4 version. Not sure an open-world UE4 game can be adequately downported to mobile hardware.

If NX is indeed a mobile hardware then won't it have 3DS BC making having anther 3DS-esque tailored version pretty much futile?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Nintendo will surely have some exclusive content lined up for launch too. This is really good news for the NX.

Yeah, I think that too.
First of all, the original post had various suppositions to start with, but let's play the game:
if NX will indeed have at launch those "old ports from big brands" such as MH, DQ and YW, I'd say that it would be a great launch window, if they will also offer exclusive contents (such as, I don't know, Spla2on!?).
I can't really see DQX and XI as negative things for NX, if they will be actually confirmed.

I agree - whilst it still is uncertain - late announced ports usually negatively impact the original platform's sales (Biohazard 4 for GC and PS2). Though of course this all depends on the strength of the original platform, and I guess is a case by case scenario.

I think the NX version of DQXI might be a hybrid of both versions? An 'International Version/Game of the Year' scenario? Who knows, it's all pure speculation at this point, this announcement, non-announcement of NX support, is anybody's guess really.

Apologies for my inconsistent rambling!

I don't know what to thing at all about NX and about DQX and XI for NX.
I'd just say that the NX mention during the SE conf was a pretty solid, consistent and positive fact for NX, even if it's "tentative" up to now.

So, both DQXI games will release at the same time.
That will be a great day for sales-age. Both games look so awesome.

That will be a huge day for MC thread!
Btw, I'd like to underline how SE really was able to deliver satisfaction (so far among "us" gamers, let's say) to almost everyone. Their recent turning point into more "gamer oriented" decisions is not just a PR statement to me, but an actual fact.
It's not neither that easy or common to see two "so different versions" of the same game being presented in such a good way, fitting each own potential in such a compelling way.
Actually, I totally quote you in saying that both versions of the game seem able to stand up in front of the huge DQ "mainline" title hype, imho.

Vena

I don't know what to thing at all about NX and about DQX and XI for NX.
I'd just say that the NX mention during the SE conf was a pretty solid, consistent and positive fact for NX, even if it's "tentative" up to now.

Its fairly clear cut.

The plan of PS4/3DS tells you exactly the state of the industry in Japan, the PS4 (if anything) is there for the west. They're not crazy enough to let their franchise rot on PS4 in Japan but, all the same, the 3DS version is going to eat heavily into the PS4 sales same as 3DS Smash ate into Smash WiiU... which ends up becoming a bit of a self defeating prophecy in "saving consoles" but theres only so much money you'd burn on a hopeless struggle. The only difference between the two games is graphics from what has been shown (and possibly some of the overall world design) with the 3DS, of all things, seemingly having more features and nostalgia hooks. I would expect sales to be heavily lopsided, and the story being the same is going to greatly limit double-dipping outside of the core players, who probably already own all the relevant consoles.

The reason the NX showed up is because SE is also hedging their bets on building up a new fanbase on the next handheld because even if it will probably sell less than the 3DS, it will still likely dominate the market.

The market is currently volatile and heading towards a big inflection point when the 3DS retires. Either consoles magically recover (they won't, and the PS3's ability to sell software is anemic and the Vita is a path already laid low), or publishers who want to sell games in Japan needs to hope that the next handheld does well and replaces the 3DS. If nothing steps up, without the 3DS, the market losses half of its entire software moving capabilities. Obviously, though, Nintendo would not want that to happen and is likely making deals with various developers in Japan. This is probably one such deal and, more than likely, means that SE has their hands on development blueprints or kits for the NX.

Now I have to wonder if World of FF isn't also going to be on the NX the moment it comes...

Socordia

Banned
Yuji Horii probably at first never expected Ps4 to tank in japan and as the time went he has seen the harsh reality, ps4 isn´t gonna save japans home console market let alone game console market.

Jigorath

Banned
Now I have to wonder if World of FF isn't also going to be on the NX the moment it comes...

Worlds of Final Fantasy was announced as a "console exclusive" at E3. So PC and maybe mobile ports down the line but NX is probably a no.

DrWong

With this NX announcement in the wild these sort of "reverse" speculations (we went from "everything is 3ds" to ps4 to nx) will become a thing from now on :]

Vena

Worlds of Final Fantasy was announced as a "console exclusive" at E3. So PC and maybe mobile ports down the line but NX is probably a no.

Wasn't it first on? Or did I misremember?

If that's the case, then you're right and I simply remembered wrong.

With this NX announcement in the wild these sort of "reverse" speculations (we went from "everything is 3ds" to ps4 to nx) will become a thing from now on :]

Uncharted IV coming to the NX!?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

well, I'd avoid to "lock" any third party game behind the "impossible" label for late ports, imho. but...

I totally agree, and I hope this will not become the next toxic topic in MC thread (no offense to Vena that brought that up)

Jigorath

Banned
Wasn't it first on? Or did I misremember?

If that's the case, then you're right and I simply remembered wrong.

It was announced as both. "First on" and "console exclusive". In comparison, FFVII was just announced as "first on" so that could see Xbone/NX ports later on.

Vena

Also from a coding perspective, the NX version of DQXI will be the PS4 version given the engines used and cloistered toolsets for the 3DS. The UE4 game is going to be scalable with the source available through UE4 to be ported wherever needed. The 3DS game seems to be build on something similar to Nintendo's/Bamco's Smash engine... if it isn't just exactly that engine.

It was announced as both. "First on" and "console exclusive". In comparison, FFVII was just announced as "first on" so that could see Xbone/NX ports later on.

How odd. Then to correct myself above!

Principate

Saint Titanfall

That's a point if this is the PS4 version of DQ 11 will this mean it's more likely we'll see a port of FF7 R on NX, Xbox is dead in Japan, and the final fantay franchise isn't that strong on xbox in general, NX assuming it's powerful enough to actually run it does seem like a good strong bet on a worthwhile porting (assuming the Japanese console industry doesn't completely impode which it might).

saichi

I guess everyone is happy with the DQ11 announcement. well I guess not for PS3 owners.

Also, this confirms another million (definitely multimillion) seller for the 3DS.

Maybe:
Dragon Quest VIII (doubt this will because of it also being available on mobile)

DQ8 will sell 1.2 mil like every other remake.

Xbro

Pokemon X/Y
Mario Kart 7
Super Mario 3D Land
New Super Mario Bros. 2
Yokai Watch
Yokai Watch 2
Yokai Watch 2.5
Dragon Quest VII

Dragon Quest XI
Yokai Watch 3

Maybe:

Missed Moster Hunters, Luigi's Mansion, Tomodachi Life.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Simultameous release will eat many sales of PS4 version in case it came out at a different date later, there is no doubt for that. I guess SE doesn't want to turn the main entry into an episode festival.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Out of curiosity, where are you seeing this?

I'm looking at the various press releases.

World of Final Fantasy: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/press...R_THE_FIRST_TIMEIN_WORLD_OF_FINAL_FANTASY.php

LOS ANGELES (June 16, 2015) – SQUARE ENIX® today unveiled WORLD OF FINAL FANTASY™ , expanding the FINAL FANTASY® universe for a new generation of gamers. Players will collect, raise and take into battle the monsters of FINAL FANTASY lore, drawing on a rich history of iconic creatures, from the charming to the ferocious. WORLD OF FINAL FANTASY will be available in 2016 for the PlayStation®4 and PlayStation®Vita systems.

WORLD OF FINAL FANTASY combines classic RPG gameplay mechanics with fresh and imaginative toy-like visuals. As a brand-new title in the FINAL FANTASY franchise, this game can be enjoyed by both fans and newcomers to the series. Players will lead a pair of twins through varied FINAL FANTASY worlds and encounter the adorably familiar monsters therein. Capture and raise such familiar beasts as cactuar, chocobo, and behemoth to discover alternate forms and learn new abilities.

One of the key features of the game is a “stacking” ability – the siblings can adjust their size, turning small enough to jump onto the monsters during combat, or vice versa, shrink the monsters small enough to ride on the twins. By customizing and stacking their army of monsters, players can create strategic tower combinations and take on the most challenging opponents.

A new trailer introducing the twins’ journey in the WORLD OF FINAL FANTASY can be viewed on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/SQEXMembersNA . Related assets can be found on the press site: www.press.na.square-enix.com .

Final Fantasy VII Remake: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/press...E_ENIX_ANNOUNCES_FINAL_FANTASY_VII_REMAKE.php

LOS ANGELES (June 15, 2015) – At Sony Computer Entertainment of America LLC’s (SCEA) E3 press conference today, SQUARE ENIX® announced that it has begun production on the full remake of FINAL FANTASY® VII for the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system.

Leading the development will be key members from the original project, including producer Yoshinori Kitase, director Tetsuya Nomura and scenario writer Kazushige Nojima.

First released in 1997 on the PlayStation® computer entertainment system, FINAL FANTASY VII is universally regarded as a hallmark title of the RPG genre. The original title received high praise for its epic storyline, unique characters, and movie sequences that utilized the most cutting-edge technology of the time. Since then, the game has sold over 11 million copies worldwide and continues to receive widespread acclaim from critics and fans around the world. The popular game has even expanded into spin-offs, films, and merchandise.

More updates on this project will be revealed at a later time.

Now compare with Nier 2, where exclusivity is explicitly mentioned: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/press...IX_ANNOUNCES_NEW_TITLE_IN_THE_NIER_SERIES.php

LOS ANGELES (June 16, 2015) – SQUARE ENIX® today revealed NieR® New Project (temporary name), a new third-person action role-playing game (RPG) and follow-up to the 2010 cult hit NieR. Offering a fresh blend of action and RPG gameplay styles, NieR New Project is currently being developed in collaboration with PlatinumGames Inc. exclusively for the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system.

The game’s all-star development team consists of producer Yosuke Saito ( DRAGON QUEST® X / NieR), director YOKO TARO ( Drakengard® / NieR), character designer Akihiko Yoshida from CyDesignation, Inc. ( FINAL FANTASY® XIV / BRAVELY DEFAULT®), game designer Takahisa Taura from PlatinumGames Inc. ( Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance), and composer Keiichi Okabe from MONACA, Inc. ( TEKKEN / Drakengard / NieR). PlatinumGames Inc. will be amplifying the action-oriented combat and building a beautifully diverse visual experience that will fully harness the graphical power of the PlayStation®4 system.

A new trailer unveiled today at the SQUARE ENIX E3 press conference showcases the new visual direction of NieR New Project. This can be viewed on YouTube at: http://youtu.be/GH26BfSo7co. Related assets for the title can be found on the press site: www.press.na.square-enix.com .

More information regarding the game will be unveiled this Fall.

NieR New Project is now in development exclusively for the PlayStation®4 system and is not yet rated. Please visit the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) website at www.esrb.org for more information about ratings.

Vena

So there's a simultaneous release for 3DS and PS4?

Unless they want to completely galvanize the PS4 sales with the 3DS version, yes. But, the 3DS version seems much further along and there's always the possibility of delay on the PS4 version.

Mory Dunz

Pokemon X/Y
Mario Kart 7
Super Mario 3D Land
New Super Mario Bros. 2
Yokai Watch
Yokai Watch 2
Yokai Watch 2.5
Dragon Quest VII

Dragon Quest XI
Yokai Watch 3

Maybe:

Puzzles and Jerks Z

Did Luigi mansion or DK ever get there?
I don't think Kirby did....

Top Bottom