• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 32, 2016 (Aug 08 - Aug 14)

Fisico

Tales of the Abyss 3DS actually did:

From MC:

2011 - 74,173 / 121,826
2012 - 23,800 / 145,626
2013 - 10,653 / 156,279
2014 - 7,861 / 164,140

*mothership titles do not have legs
Might as well talk about Vesperia PS3 budget releases which have been selling dozen of thousands of copies for the last few years.

Abyss 3DS is next to irrelevant to know the current strength of the IP as a whole, all the original PS3 releases of mothership had no legs (Xillia, Xillia 2, Zestiria) which are the closer examples that we should be looking to when looking at Berseria sales.

But the growing install base of PS4 might also be a (small) factor in Berseria's legs expectations the same way it probably helped Abyss 3DS, alas it didn't help Innocence R and Hearts R much a few years ago.

wrowa

I imagine Zestiria's horrible reception contributed considerably to Berseria's drop and since the impressions for Berseria seem be quite positive so far, I wouldn't be surprised if Berseria doesn't drop as sharply as the other games in the series due to fans who initially passed on it getting convinced to give it a chance after all.

Like an 80% drop in its second week instead of 90%. :p

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Last 3 Tales have a 90% drop at second week and this one released at a holiday week.

I wouldn't expect anything significantly different.

I expect similar ST % and second week drop % but on a smaller initial shipment that will lead to a general decline

barybll

Banned
I've been wondering
Is japan buying more digital copies nowadays than they did for example last year?
I know its not a big thing like in the west but I wonder

Also, had no idea that zestiria was THAT damaging to the franchise, I hope sales dont drop that much for berseria

Fisico

Since we're talking about digital...

Now including May-June

And the graph updated.

WTOBAJ5.png

It's still only 8 months worth of data, not yet enough to draw any conclusion but we're getting there slowly (I should go back to retrieve older data from 2015 as well)

smbu2000

I would like to have a conversation with the 67000 people who bought an XBone from Japan. I bet less that most of the 67000 buyer s are not Japanese.
I bought one of them! I'm not from Japan (from the US), but I've been here a long time. 360 was my main system last gen (also had PS3/Wii) so it made sense to get the X1. It's my only current gen system and I have no interest in a PS4. (Also have a 3ds/Vita) Wii U seemed interesting, but the price never seemed to go down and actually seems higher now than it was around launch when I first considered buying one. At this point it's probably just best to wait for NX.

Only other person I know around here with an X1 is from England and he was mainly a 360 gamer last ten as well.
Anecdotal...I've occasionally seen JP people looking in the now very small X1 sections at some stores.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
First Day Sell-Through {2016.08.18}

[PS4] [PS3] Tales of Berseria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥8.200) - 70% less than 300k shipped. PS4 version is leading, but the PS3 is still selling a good amount of units

First week

[PS3] Tales of Zestiria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.01.22} (¥8.715) - 340.891 / NEW <89,52%> [Units shipped => 380.799]
I took a look at Zestiria's first day.

The blog reported 70% sellthrough for its first day. Going by the 400k shipped number that means 280k first day, so total sales for the week could be between 320-370k.

I bought one of them! I'm not from Japan (from the US), but I've been here a long time. 360 was my main system last gen (also had PS3/Wii) so it made sense to get the X1. It's my only current gen system and I have no interest in a PS4. (Also have a 3ds/Vita) Wii U seemed interesting, but the price never seemed to go down and actually seems higher now than it was around launch when I first considered buying one. At this point it's probably just best to wait for NX.

Only other person I know around here with an X1 is from England and he was mainly a 360 gamer last ten as well.
Anecdotal...I've occasionally seen JP people looking in the now very small X1 sections at some stores.

A guy working with me has a XBO (and not PS4), 23 y.o. japanese, playing mostly FPS; iirc he also had X360
surely not the typical japanese game, fond of RPG games, like another guy also working with me, 32, he has PS4, PSV, WiiU and basically plays RPG, now very interested in PSVR (guess which is the game he's most interested in it :D )

Honestly considering I visited Japan first time in 2003 I saw all the m$ systems selling here and XBO is no more no less similar to Xbox, basically ignored even if XBO has its own space while Xbox just gave you the feeling "what I'm doing here on the shelves among the king PS2 and the queen GBA???"

X360 was different cause they got exclusives, niche games, rpg and shmup, the latter had a small reinassance time during 2007-2011 but now it's smaller than before, that's happened since Cave gave up in developing.

I don't see so many XBO games on the used shops, so probably the userbase is playing and keeping their purchases, ok that we are talking about products that sold around a thousand copies in the best case scenario but also regarding used HW there are not so many units availabe neither the price has collapsed yet as you could expect from a totally disappointing product.

duckroll

250K first week is that bad. At least it's not Youkai proportion drop.

History of first week sales for PS3 Tales Of games:

2009 - Tales of Vesperia (Namco Bandai) - 216,593 / NEW
2010 - Tales of Graces F (Bandai Namco) {02/12/10} - 215.187 / NEW
2011 - Tales of Xillia <RPG> (Bandai Namco) {2011.09.08} (¥8.379) - 525.605 / NEW <87,12%>
2012 - Tales of Xillia 2 <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.11.01} (¥8.380) - 364.439 / NEW <78,09%>
2015 - Tales of Zestiria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.01.22} (¥8.715) - 340.891 / NEW <89,52%>

Sorry for the little off topic but since there's no OT and no discussions anywhere around both 3DS and Wii U games I wanted to have more Gaffers opinion.

I've tried the Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games demo on 3DS yesterday and actually it's not as bad as some reviews are saying (yeah I'm even ready to say the demo is fun). Maybe I'm too kind with it because for me it's just a pack of mini games with an Olympic theme but now that both Wii U and 3DS prices are lower (even if still 30) I'm quite tempted.

Does some gaffers have one or both versions? Maybe some have tried the 3DS demo too and could give me their opinion?

Also, seeing the game in charts in Japan makes me feel I may enjoy it more than most of western reviewers (of course it's a casual/mass market game but very bad games are not selling no matter the theme / marketing... so it has to be at least decent).
What were the JP reviews?

Well, as if we needed confirmation of a bomba lol. Between this and Dynasty Warriors SRPG, Koei-Tecmo aren't having a good few weeks.
Well, I guess Hyrule Warriors 2 and the subsequent 4 years of DLC support will have to be a thing to keep Omega Force in business.

Oregano

Are we having a road to TGS this year Nirolak?

This year will probably be the worst yet for announcements but we'll see over the next three weeks.

Oregano

So from the sounds of it Horii wants all the versions of DQXI to release simultaneously. Depending on when it actually releases that could have a massive effect on the sales ratio.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Week 33, 2016 (Aug 22 - Aug 28)

new releases

{2016.08.24}

[WIU] Mario Sports Mix _Wii Disk Download Version_ |DL| <SPT> (Nintendo) (¥2.500)
[WIU] Wario Land: Shake It! _Wii Disk Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Nintendo) (¥2.500)
[WIU] Usas _Wii U Virtual Console Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Konami) (¥762)
[WIU] The Grumpy Reaper _Wii U Download Software_ |DL| <ADV> (Cosen) (¥462)
[PS4] Metrico+ _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <PZL> (Digital Dreams) (¥1.295)

{2016.08.25}
[3DS] Metroid Prime: Federation Force <ACT> (Nintendo) (¥4.700)
[3DS] Metroid Prime: Federation Force (&#949;) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Nintendo) (¥4.700)
[3DS] Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack <Azure Striker Gunvolt \ Azure Striker Gunvolt 2> # <ACT> (Inti Creates) (¥4.800)
[3DS] Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack <Azure Striker Gunvolt \ Azure Striker Gunvolt 2> (Limited Edition) <ACT> (Inti Creates) (¥6.800)
[3DS] Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 (&#949;) _3DS Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (Inti Creates) (¥1.815)
[PSV] Meiji Toukyou Renka: Full Moon # <ADV> (5pb.) (¥6.800)
[PSV] Meiji Toukyou Renka: Full Moon (First Press Limited Akatsuki Roh Rokumeikan Box) <ADV> (5pb.) (¥6.800)
[PSV] Meiji Toukyou Renka: Full Moon (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (5pb.) (¥5.800)
[PSV] Moujuu-Tachi to Ohimesama # <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥6.300)
[PSV] Moujuu-Tachi to Ohimesama (Limited Edition) <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥8.300)
[PSV] Moujuu-Tachi to Ohimesama (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥5.800)
[PSV] Ouma ga Toki: Kakuriyo no Enishi # <ACT> (Nippon Cultural Broadcasting Extended) (¥5.800)
[PSV] Ouma ga Toki: Kakuriyo no Enishi (Limited Edition) <ACT> (Nippon Cultural Broadcasting Extended) (¥7.800)
[PSV] Ouma ga Toki: Kakuriyo no Enishi (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Nippon Cultural Broadcasting Extended) (¥5.048)
[PSV] PuraMai Wars V # <ADV> (Entergram) (¥5.980)
[PSV] PuraMai Wars V (Limited Edition) <ADV> (Entergram) (¥7.980)
[PSV] PuraMai Wars V (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Entergram) (¥5.074)
[PSV] Sengoku Otome: Legend Battle # <FTG> (Planet G) (¥6.980)
[PSV] Sengoku Otome: Legend Battle (Limited Set) <FTG> (Planet G) (¥11.500)
[PSV] Sengoku Otome: Legend Battle (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <FTG> (Planet G) (¥6.300)
[PSV] Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1 [CH Selection] <RPG> (Compile Heart) (¥3.800)
[PSV] Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| [CH Selection] <RPG> (Compile Heart) (¥3.500)
[PS4] No Man's Sky <ADV> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) (¥5.900)
[PS4] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva X HD <ACT> (Sega) (¥7.990)
[PS4] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva X HD (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Sega) (¥7.990)
[PS4] Sengoku Basara: Sanada Yukimura-Den <ACT> (Capcom) (¥6.990)
[PS4] Sengoku Basara: Sanada Yukimura-Den (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Capcom) (¥6.472)
[PS4] The King of Fighters XIV <FTG> (SNK Playmore) (¥7.200)
[PS4] The King of Fighters XIV (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <FTG> (SNK Playmore) (¥7.200)
[PS3] Sengoku Basara: Sanada Yukimura-Den <ACT> (Capcom) (¥6.990)
[PS3] Sengoku Basara: Sanada Yukimura-Den (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Capcom) (¥6.472)

{2016.08.26}
[PS4] Arcade Archives: Darius _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <STG> (Hamster) (¥762)
__

YSO predictions

01. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sushi / Tempura < 35k (average 30k)
02. [PS4] Sengoku Basara: Sanada Yukimura-Den < 30k (average 25k)
02. [PS4] No Man's Sky < 30k (average 25k)
02. [PS4] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva X HD < 30k (average 25k)
00. [ALL] Sengoku Basara: Sanada Yukimura-Den < 40k (average 35k)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
So from the sounds of it Horii wants all the versions of DQXI to release simultaneously. Depending on when it actually releases that could have a massive effect on the sales ratio.

I agree.
Btw DQX and XI confirmed for NX with Builders considered (as for DQX and XI previously) would put the NX under a positive light in Japan I would say.

On another topic, it seems that new PSP3 rumors surfaced and this time more reliable. I guess that Japan would be the market where this would have the bigger impact so I come back to ask: are the vast majority of you still sure that it wont happen?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Are we having a road to TGS this year Nirolak?

This year will probably be the worst yet for announcements but we'll see over the next three weeks.

I have less time so I'll do a reduced format this year. I'll go from Level 5 vision through the end of September to try and catch the NX unveil (assuming the unveil isn't delayed until March 30th, 2017). This is a hard cutoff to note, so if a game was announced earlier and had debut media later, it's not included.

So for now, I'll:
- Group by platforms (Mobile, PlayStation, and Nintendo platforms only since many games with Xbox and PC ports don't have them mentioned when unveiled in Japan).
- I'll include the game name, developer/publisher (if it's clear, not going super digging for developers this year), and a rough approximation of the genre if evident.
- I'm only including notes for games that I feel need notes to highlight key information.
- I'll report the full list and bold the new ones each week.
- I'm only pulling mobile games I can find relatively easily, so it will focus on mobile titles from major traditional publishers, and games from other major companies that are big enough to hit the news.

Road To TGS:

3DS:
- Puyo Puyo Chronicle (Sega): This is a full priced Puzzle RPG that reminds me of P&D or Monster Strike when they were turned into full RPGs with the puzzle mechanic as the gameplay. There's 3D graphics, a plotline, cutscenes, a world and towns you wander around in, and more. It's the 25th anniversary title.

PS4:
- Metal Gear Survive (Konami): This is a $30 four player co-op zombie shoooter that takes places between MGS: Ground Zeroes and MGSV, and probably represents the type of games we'll be getting out of the series going forward.
- Miko Gakkou Monogatari: Kaede Episode (xinoro): This is a $10 indie game port.
- Arcade Archives: Darius (Hamster): This is an $8 port of a 1987 arcade game's enhanced edition.
- * Project Awakening (CyGames): Once upon a time, the director of 3D Dot Heroes (Silicon Studio) started a new company with CyberAgent and CyDesignation called CyGames. He proceeded to make billions of dollars with endlessly successful mobile games, and now he's seemingly directing his own "High End Console Game" along with a bunch of staff he poached from Square Enix, Konami, and related studios.
- * Project Re: Link (CyGames/Platinum Games): Platinum Games is working with CyGames on what appears to be a four player action RPG based on the Granblue Fantasy series. It looks pretty ambitious for what it is. Technically the only platform hinted at so far it the PC, but given it looks like a co-op game instead of an MMO (they noted it was imagined for multiplayer but you can play it in singleplayer as well), I'd be really surprised if it wasn't on PS4, so I'm putting it here for now. Feel free to pelt me with stones if it doesn't show up on PS4.

3DS/PS4:
- * Megaton Musashi (Level-5): To note, these are platforms "under consideration". The game might not come out for several years, at which point it might drop the 3DS version in favor of the NX. Hino noted he wants the game to appeal to both older Super Robot fans, as well as new children, and that he wants it to be on a portable and "as large as a screen as possible".

PS4/Vita:
- Story of the Good Old Days (Daidai): Simulation RPG, budget title.

Vita:
- The Princess is Money-Hungry (Nippon Ichi): This feels sort of like a retro-inspired indie game though it costs $60.
- id: Rebirth Session (Entergram): Visual novel.

NX:
- I'll include that Dragon Quest XI was reconfirmed to be coming to NX, and that all three versions are aiming for simultaneous release. When this game is formally shown, I might change up how this one is written to match the other formatting.

3DS/Mobile:
- Lady Layton: This is pretty similar to a traditional Layton title, but brought into being a mobile era service game. It's probably one of Level-5's most interesting experiments and it will be a good one to follow in terms of performance and Level-5's statements about how it's done.

Mobile:
- Lost Order (CyGames/Platinum Games): Yasumi Matsuno (Final Fantasy Tactics, FFXII) is back and directing a new Real Time Tactics game developed by Platinum for CyGames. Akihito Yoshida is the art director and character designer on the title. The game is fully 3D, and is Platinum's first mobile title. This game is a good example of what I mean by mobile games in Japan targeting older core gamers a lot more than you see in the West, along with the increasing complexity you see in Japanese mobile titles. Taking a look at a screenshot, this is also the type of game you would have expected as a Vita title in a world where mobile hadn't risen to its current heights. Mind, CyGames is also making significant investments in console games at this point.
- Yo-Kai Watch: Enhanced port of original game.
- Yo-Kai Daijiten (Level-5): Quiz RPG, looks high effort for what it is.
- Yo-Kai Watch Geraporhythm (Level-5): Rhythm game, similarly looks high effort for what it is.
- Otome Hero: Otome RPG.
- Kamitsuri (Square-Enix): Puzzle RPG.
- Princess Connect Re: Dive (CyGames): It's not really clear what this game is yet, outside of them signing some famous studios and people to handle the anime scenes and plotline. Its genre is "Anime RPG".
- Sevens Story (CyGames): CyGames is rebooting/remaking a 2013 turn based tactical RPG into a new game more fit for the modern mobile market. Based on the screenshots, it looks more like what you'd expect out of an actual tactical RPG, but I'll have to see gameplay to be certain.

Unspecified:
- Inazuma Eleven Ares: I'm going to guess 3DS, smartphones, and maybe the NS, but this one isn't hinted heavily enough to include in a category above.

Cancellations:
- Crows: Burning Edge had its Vita version canceled and is now only for PS4.

Nirolak's opinion as of this week:
- If it weren't for CyGames (historically a browser game mobile company), this would probably the worst start for Road To TGS ever given I'm covering 3-4 weeks worth of content here. Level-5 is the only other company putting in some work, but many of their games were either already announced ages ago, looked like they had made zero progress since they were last shown, or had absolutely zero game content shown at all. Lady Layton and the Yo-Kai Watch mobile games are the primary exceptions. That said, both Sony's TGS timeframe event and the NX unveil are supposedly right around the corner, so this could turn around very significantly.
- It's worth noting that zero PS3 games have been announced.

On another topic, it seems that new PSP3 rumors surfaced and this time more reliable. I guess that Japan would be the market where this would have the bigger impact so I come back to ask: are the vast majority of you still sure that it wont happen?

Do you have a link? I don't see how a real Vita successor would make sense. It wouldn't be the first idiotic business move Sony has made, but I feel like nothing at all has been pointing at them being interested in pursuing that market any longer.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah, I'd need to see what you're actually referring to first to do any sort of evaluation, but so far there have been no leaks or rumblings and no one can actually keep their hardware secret.

I really don't understand why anyone is talking about a Vita successor. If there is something going on it will be Vita 3000.

Yeah, I'd need to see what you're actually referring to first to do any sort of evaluation, but so far there have been no leaks or rumblings and no one can actually keep their hardware secret.

Well the PS4 slim was pretty sneaky until apparently 3 weeks from launch!
Plus any new Vita will be lucky to get a western release, certainly not day 1 ;-;

Glad to see YW3 isn't the bomb that it first seemed, even if its not doing aswell.

Loved the first one so I hope the series can see continued success.

Shizuka

Where have these rumors resurfaced?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Thank you Vena I am on mobile and was unable to post links
Me too I am doubtful but at the same time they are selling as many portables in their domestic market as home consoles and with literally ZERO efforts so...

Spiegel

Vita announcements have been drying up lately and I can only remember the 2 DQ games as notable releases this year. Plus Sony have been trying to kill the system for a long time.

I can't think of any reason why they would release a new Vita model or a successor.

An Android tablet/phone that plays PSX/PS2/PSP/Vita games? Doubtful, but at least would make some sense.

Sandfox

Were there any "notable" Vita games announced this year?

Vita announcements have been drying up lately and I can only remember the 2 DQ games as notable releases this year. Plus Sony have been trying to kill the system for a long time.

I can't think if any reason why they would release a new Vita model or a successor.

An Android tablet/phone that plays PSX/PS2/PSP/Vita games? Doubtful, but at least would make some sense.

World of FF is coming lol.

I can't think of any reason why they would release a new Vita model or a successor.

Well, what games were announced for EU market before/after PSP Street came out in late 2011 lol.

DQ x 2; KanColle and Jikkyou are the 4 Vita games that have sold > 150k this year. Otherwise you have to drop way down to get two more (Attack on Titan & Gundam Breaker 3) that are > 100k, and there's nothing else.

Yeah, this hasn't been a great year for it. There's only SAO & WoFF on the horizon that are really going to push > 100k for the rest of the year and SaGa, but who knows where the hell that is these days.

Were there any "notable" Vita games announced this year?

Don't think so. There's nothing planned for 2017 so far that seems like it'd be a big game, other than possibly Super Robot Wars V. I suppose there's time for a few TGS announcements but if it's anything like last year, it's be all PS4 with the occasional multi-plat with Vita thrown in.

So yeah, can't see a Vita revision being anything real. If anything it'd draw away from all the hardware they'll already be trying to sell this holiday season (PS4 slim; PS4 Neo; PSVR).

Also - lol at Sengoku Basara & Miku HD sales. What a disaster for both games (I suppose this is kinda expected for Miku, but it's still poor considering what previous games were pushing on home console).

wilflare

This is the source:
http://bbs.a9vg.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=5106705&extra=&authorid=1444953&page=1

Which is posted by the same person who posted this leak on the slim from June:
http://bbs.a9vg.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=4882812&page=1&authorid=1444953

It says something psp-like entered production, and was posted a few days ago.

that same source mentions the Neo as well.
the last post talks about the Neo being 3cm thicker and having some production problems with the stands (probably those triangle square circle stands)

Ōkami

As far as big Vita games for the rest of the year theres World of Final Fantasy and the new Sword Art Online both coming out on the same day (Oct 27) and both are also on PS4.

Then there's SD Gundam G Generation Genesis and the new Samurai Warriors both on November, also both on PS4.

As for games without release dates there's Danganrompa 3 (also on PS4) and the new SaGa game that we haven't heard from for about a year and we don't know much about besides the name, it's also the last *big* Vita exclusive (maybe) announced.

Top Bottom