• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 32, 2016 (Aug 08 - Aug 14)

Oregano

Well, sure, and Apple would assuredly like everyone to upgrade to iPad Pros, and Nintendo would like everyone to upgrade to New 3DS XLs, but that's not a realistic scenario for a premium product.

Though my question becomes what you expect them to do if that doesn't happen.

True. It will be interesting to see what percentage upgrade, especially in comparison to upgrades to N3DS. That's a pretty unattainable statistic though.

As to the other question it would vary from team to team(not necessarily publisher wide), some would/will probably stay the course, some will make a pivot that overcompensates and some will probably shut down.

Just have to hope the NX isn't coming too late. Publishers have already been transitioning to PS4 only, if they've been upping their technology base to PS4 standards then NX might be hard to fit in release plans. Of course I think that would be bad planning from the developers of that's the case and kind of unlikely.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I get the sense that Vita support is starting to be phased out, so we should have our answer pretty quickly based on whether NX versions show up or not.

i don't get that sense. For big exclusives it was always dead, for multiplatforms it's likely it will increase market share once PS3 versions stop releasing and is already the top selling format for most releases. When publishers tried to ignore it things didn't turn out well.

Oregano

i don't get that sense. For big exclusives it was always dead, for multiplatforms it's likely it will increase market share once PS3 versions stop releasing and is already the top selling format for most releases. When publishers tried to ignore it things didn't turn out well.

Square Enix did just phase it in this year but it seems publishers are going more PS4 focused with the technical performance of their Vita versions being a bit of an afterthought.

Any sign of NX/Vita titles yet? Seems they'd be quite a good fit if NX is single screen and portable.

Vena

Square Enix did just phase it in this year but it seems publishers are going more PS4 focused with the technical performance of their Vita versions being a bit of an afterthought.

And much as the example has been layed by the likes of Toukiden 2, they become an afterthought for their audience. The bridge only burns for so long before it crumbles.

Oregano

Any sign of NX/Vita titles yet? Seems they'd be quite a good fit if NX is single screen and portable.

NX hasn't been revealed but so far none of the few announced titles have been Vita games so.... Who knows?
And much as the example has been layed by the likes of Toukiden 2, they become an afterthought for their audience. The bridge only burns for so long before it crumbles.

Toukiden 2 didn't do too badly and Nights of Azure did decently. I suspect the upcoming SAO(which the producer prewarmed would perform badly on Vita) will do well too.

I dunno. Attack on Titan sold fine (relative to other versions) on Vita earlier this year despite being a technical disaster. It's looking like SAO is going to sell best on Vita yet again despite the project lead saying on twitter recently that they haven't shown it off yet because it's sub 30 fps.

We're well into the second year of 'Vita as an afterthought' ports yet the games keep on selling best on it. Either the message isn't getting across or - more likely - the buyers aren't bothered and would rather have the handheld version regardless

Even that "I wouldn't buy the Vita version" or whatever it was comment from Toukiden 2's producer didn't keep them away (although it probably did manage to crater the IP in general).

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I dunno. Attack on Titan sold fine (relative to other versions) on Vita earlier this year despite being a technical disaster. It's looking like SAO is going to sell best on Vita yet again despite the project lead saying on twitter recently that they haven't shown it off yet because it's sub 30 fps.

We're well into the second year of 'Vita as an afterthought' ports yet the games keep on selling best on it. Either the message isn't getting across or - more likely - the buyers aren't bothered and would rather have the handheld version regardless

Even that "I wouldn't buy the Vita version" or whatever it was comment from Toukiden 2's producer didn't keep them away (although it probably did manage to crater the IP in general).

Like I said before Vita versions are the best sellers between it and PS3/PS4 and things won't change soon.

After Toukiden we'll say bye bye to SAO too if that's the reality.

Next? What are the others?

Toukiden 2 only declined a bit in the first week. Have its legs been a lot worse or something?

[PSP + PSV] Toukiden # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2013.06.27} (¥6.090) - 188,810

[PSP + PSV + PS4] Toukiden: The Age of Demons Extreme # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.08.28} (¥6.264) - 96,513

[PSV + PS3 + PS4] Toukiden 2 # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2016.07.28} (¥6.800) - 111,588

(I added the PS4 version of Kiwami to the others just to save hassle, I know it released later)

I wouldn't say loss of 77k buyers is "a bit" of a decline.

Vena

Next? What are the others?

Toukiden 2 only declined a bit in the first week. Have its legs been a lot worse or something?

Its not just declines in terms of raw #s (also what is a "bit"?). What I'm talking about has to do with what Kresnik mentioned (also I think you misinterpreted me, I am not saying the bridge has collapsed, I am saying its burning and I think the slow declines are indicative of that). The products are being presented almost haphazardly as "inferior on X" or marketed as if "only on Y".

... And they still get outsold by the Vita. Marketing presents what the developers/publishers want to happen, but the market is largely just giving them the bird.

If you plan a project (this includes budget planning and so on) around the advantages of one platform (and certain appeals) as per my example of Toukiden 2 and you fail to actually make any meaningful transitions or growth and experience actual decline, then I don't know how you could in the long-term consider such a thing tenable. Also the Toukiden 2 example is also about increasing costs vs. decreasing audience.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
First week comparisons show only half truth. First Toukiden sold 400k. This one will struggle to sell half of that.

And with what i just read for SAO I'll wait for the size of decline it will have too.

Oregano

[PSP + PSV] Toukiden # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2013.06.27} (¥6.090) - 188,810

[PSP + PSV + PS4] Toukiden: The Age of Demons Extreme # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.08.28} (¥6.264) - 96,513

[PSV + PS3 + PS4] Toukiden 2 # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2016.07.28} (¥6.800) - 111,588

(I added the PS4 version of Kiwami to the others just to save hassle, I know it released later)

I wouldn't say loss of 77k buyers is "a bit" of a decline.
Yeah that is quite a big drop.

I don't think the plan to transition to PS4 will work but I'm not sure anything has cratered enough to stop it in its tracks,.especially when there's the (unrealistic) expectation of much higher western sales.

Also there's no guarantee NX phasing out Vita would work either. Attempts to move PSP audiences to 3DS were met with mixed at best results. That audience might just die with Vita.

Arzehn

Not sure what the PS4 transition has to do with Toukiden's decline. Is it suggested that the game would not have declined if it was Vita only? Decline has more to do with KOEI's IP management and general decline in interest in dedicated gaming.

Takao

Banned
Not sure what the PS4 transition has to do with Toukiden's decline. Is it suggested that the game would not have declined if it was Vita only? Decline has more to do with KOEI's IP management and general decline in interest in dedicated gaming.

The problem isn't that there's a PS4 version, it's that the game was designed for home consoles. As a result of that, it became unappealing to fans of the original and unappealing to PS4 fans as it's still a handheld IP. To make matters worse, the Vita version looks and runs worse than the original Toukiden, a PSP up-port.

It's interesting to note that Toukiden 2 has a different producer than the original/Kiwami. That guy went on to work on the Dragon Quest Heroes games. DQH2 has a better Vita version than Toukiden 2, and that's been reflected in the sales of both games. DQH2 has had decentish legs on Vita (still charting on Dengeki's Top 50).

crinale

The problem isn't that there's a PS4 version, it's that the game was designed for home consoles. As a result of that, it became unappealing to fans of the original and unappealing to PS4 fans as it's still a handheld IP. To make matters worse, the Vita version looks and runs worse than the original Toukiden, a PSP up-port.

It's interesting to note that Toukiden 2 has a different producer than the original/Kiwami. That guy went on to work on the Dragon Quest Heroes games. DQH2 has a better Vita version than Toukiden 2, and that's been reflected in the sales of both games. DQH2 has had decentish legs on Vita (still charting on Dengeki's Top 50).

Well given the importance of the IP one could assume that DQH2 may have gotten far more budget than TK2, even it was a contracted project.

Arzehn

Hm, I question the effect of bad technical performance on first week sales though.
The original came at a time when the Vita needed a Monster Hunter fix for people, and since then they've flooded the handheld with these multiplayer rpg arena games. Even when they announced the game (T2) and had just a teaser trailer there was already muted interest in the IP, at least from the blogs I've visited.

Perhaps they could have focused on the Vita's portable strengths and had that version sell more and the PS4 sell less. I just think the end result would have been roughly same. Maybe they could have saved themselves some R&D costs but ultimately have an IP with no real future on any platform.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

I kind of fear what will happen to Danganronpa 3. Will it be designed for homeconsoles or will the PS4 version be an "afterthought" since its focus will be on the Vita.

Takao

Banned
I kind of fear what will happen to Danganronpa 3. Will it be designed for homeconsoles or will the PS4 version be an "afterthought" since its focus will be on the Vita.

Dangan is a visual novel. I don't know how you could develop that to the detriment of one platform. By the nature of the genre and the IP's history, I'd fully expect Japanese sales to be in favour of the Vita version.

Hm, I question the effect of bad technical performance on first week sales though.

Koei Tecmo released a demo and multiple videos specifically for the Vita version before launch. People knew what they were getting into before it hit store shelves. I specifically recall a disastrous live stream in May (?) where they showed the Vita version off for the first time and it was running <20fps, with graphics that were rivaling the first Toukiden ... on PSP. The chat wasn't kind.

The original came at a time when the Vita needed a Monster Hunter fix for people, and since then they've flooded the handheld with these multiplayer rpg arena games. Even when they announced the game (T2) and had just a teaser trailer there was already muted interest in the IP, at least from the blogs I've visited.

Perhaps they could have focused on the Vita's portable strengths and had that version sell more and the PS4 sell less. I just think the end result would have been roughly same. Maybe they could have saved themselves some R&D costs but ultimately have an IP with no real future on any platform.

The last hunting action game on Vita was God Eater Resurrection in October 2015 (or Attack on Titan, but I'm not sure that even supports local multi on Vita). That's long enough for people to want more. Toukiden 2 didn't offer them that, though. It offered an open world experience that was clearly not designed for the platform most people interested in Toukiden would buy it on.

What they did arguably results in a worse future for Toukiden than if they had stayed the course with the original's design. At least then they would've had an easily identifiable handheld franchise they could bring to NX or mobile. Instead they tanked the IP as their attempt to transition it to a home console franchise failed. Not only is the Vita version still the best selling one, the PS4 version still sold an unimpressive amount of units.

zeromcd73

https://www.platinumgames.com/official-blog/article/9035
From here on out, we will participate more actively in development for mobile platforms through titles such as LOST ORDER, while at the same time maintaining the development of high-end game content for consoles, such as the upcoming Scalebound and NieR:Automata, as our primary axis. We aim to keep bringing our fans the quality they expect from PlatinumGames, regardless of the platform.
Looks like Platinum Games has more mobile games in store for us in the future other than just Lost Order.

Takao

Banned
How badly did Namco screw up by not putting an original motherhood Tales game on the PSP?

I'm not sure it really matters when their ports and outsourced spinoffs did so well.

PSP : Tales of Eternia ( Namco ) { 2005-03-03 } - 74,630 / 249,173
PSP : Tales of Phantasia: Full Voice Edition ( Bandai Namco ) { 2006-09-07 } - 65,417 / 112,367
PSP : Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology ( Bandai Namco ) { 2006-12-21 } - 97,156 / 214,128
PSP : Tales of Destiny 2 ( Bandai Namco ) { 2007-02-15 } - 65,503 / 135,371
PSP : Tales of Rebirth ( Bandai Namco ) { 2008-03-19 } - 44,888 / 89,944
PSP : Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2 ( Bandai Namco ) { 2009-01-29 } - 210,297 / 317,730
PSP : Tales of Vs. ( Bandai Namco ) { 2009-08-06 } - 153,366 / 238,200
PSP : Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X ( Bandai Namco ) { 2010-08-05 } - 114,199 / 184,355
PSP : Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3 ( Bandai Namco ) { 2011-02-10 } - 212,649 / 278,359
PSP : Tales of the Heroes: Twin Brave ( Bandai Namco ) { 2012-02-23 } - 78,761 / 118,451

What's really surprising is that across Vita and 3DS, there are "only" four Tales of releases, and none are original games.

I'm just thinking that if Tales of Hearts were a PSP game, it would have cracked 500k.

Considering how well the remakes and spinoffs did on the PSP and how poorly Innocence did on DS at the time, it would have been a good idea for Namco to capitalise on the PSP base by moving Hearts over there.

3DS should have gotten ports of the Symphonia games.

Sandfox

There are lots of Tales of Zestiria ads in Akiba. Still the animation airing or something?

Yes.

I'm just thinking that if Tales of Hearts were a PSP game, it would have cracked 500k.

Considering how well the remakes and spinoffs did on the PSP and how poorly Innocence did on DS at the time, it would have been a good idea for Namco to capitalise on the PSP base by moving Hearts over there.

500k seems like a stretch to me.

&#332;kami;214477023 said:
As far as big Vita games for the rest of the year theres World of Final Fantasy and the new Sword Art Online both coming out on the same day (Oct 27) and both are also on PS4.

Then there's SD Gundam G Generation Genesis and the new Samurai Warriors both on November, also both on PS4.

As for games without release dates there's Danganrompa 3 (also on PS4) and the new SaGa game that we haven't heard from for about a year and we don't know much about besides the name, it's also the last *big* Vita exclusive (maybe) announced.

You forgot Macross Delta which could sell 100k, at least if that kusoge did (Gundam Extreme) I suppose even a Macross game can do that

And it's an exclusive

Takao

Banned
Gust has announced Nights of Azure 2 and Blue Reflection: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201608/23113591.html http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/348/1348043/

Both are for Vita and PS4.

You forgot Macross Delta which could sell 100k, at least if that kusoge did (Gundam Extreme) I suppose even a Macross game can do that

And it's an exclusive

We're getting very close to release and AFAIK Bandai Namco has yet to talk multiplayer. It's also only adapting half of the series, so I'm thinking this might be a very small effort for Artdink.

Oregano

casiopao

Reading the number Takao give, 500k is a bit crazy no?

Reading the number Takao give, 500k is a bit crazy no?
Nah son. If a dungeon crawler fan service spinoff series like Radiant Mythology can sell more than the mainline games on DS, and a Smash clone can sell nearly as much as ToI, there would have been enough of a fanbase on PSP to get a main Tales game into the 500k range.

I mean, Innocence and Hearts did well enough to be profitable, but 250-260k aren't great numbers for the mainline series. The less said about Tempest the better. That had a 300k shipment, and you can see what happened there.

Then again, that whole generation was Namco putting Tales games on everything and missing where the majority of the fan base resided.

Fisico

Nah son. If a dungeon crawler fan service spinoff series like Radiant Mythology can sell more than the mainline games on DS, and a Smash clone can sell nearly as much as ToI, there would have been enough of a fanbase on PSP to get a main Tales game into the 500k range.

I mean, Innocence and Hearts did well enough to be profitable, but 250-260k aren't great numbers for the mainline series. The less said about Tempest the better. That had a 300k shipment, and you can see what happened there.

Then again, that whole generation was Namco putting Tales games on everything and missing where the majority of the fan base resided.

And yet the sales of the PSP ports declined heavily episode after episode

PSP Tales of Eternia 74,630 249,173
PSP Tales of Destiny 2 65,503 135,371
PSP Tales of Rebirth 44,888 89,944

The success of the Radiant Mythology titles also mostly come from its huge cast and fanservice, what Tales of fans enjoy first and foremost are characters and these spin off provided almost every character the fans could wish for with ton of skits and interaction between them.
That's also why you saw better sales after the first entry (from 19 to 50 to ~80 characters)

The DS entries were tailored for what was supposed to be the DS audience (much younger demographic which is reflected on the characters ages and appearances), Tales of Hearts was also the last hurrah for 2D entries and I doubt that it would have performed much better on PSP where 3D graphics were even more mandatory than on DS.

Now if you're talking about another entire different title more akin to what Xillia proposed on PS3 maybe 500k wouldn't have been unthinkable, but that's rewriting history and moving forward not really relevant anymore.

casiopao

Hearts is 2D though. While on PSP, it is almost 100%, 3D will be much preferred.

And also, DS is easily one of the biggest platform in Japan. So i don't really buy that Tales fan won't be on board with DS here. I feel that at that point of time, that is actually not a really bad number even if Tales team wanted more.

crinale

And it's an exclusive

Speaking of Mech game the usual leaker is teasing "new-gen" Gundam game, by ppl making Gundam Vs series. I wonder what it would be.

mao2

Hearts is 2D though. While on PSP, it is almost 100%, 3D will be much preferred.

And also, DS is easily one of the biggest platform in Japan. So i don't really buy that Tales fan won't be on board with DS here. I feel that at that point of time, that is actually not a really bad number even if Tales team wanted more.
NOraBem.jpg

uHfbOKj.jpg

qjPXy7M.jpg

To be fair, PSP did get a 2D remake (2D sprites on 3D backgrounds just like TOH) of Tales of Phantasia Narikiri Dungeon which was originally on Game Boy, and it looks really nice. Also let's not forget the PS and PS2 2D Tales of ports (TOE, TOP, TOD2, TOR). I'm sure Tales of Hearts wouldn't have been a problem if Bandai Namco wanted to put it on PSP.

casiopao

NOraBem.jpg

uHfbOKj.jpg

qjPXy7M.jpg

To be fair, PSP did get a 2D remake (2D sprites on 3D backgrounds just like TOH) of Tales of Phantasia Narikiri Dungeon which was originally on Game Boy, and it looks really nice. Also let's not forget the PS and PS2 2D Tales of ports (TOE, TOP, TOD2, TOR). I'm sure Tales of Hearts wouldn't have been a problem if Bandai Namco wanted to put it on PSP.

Remake is totally different beast vs Brand new mainship title though? But, anyway. I still don't think 500k is achievable there. It is not that DS is not popular too here.

As Takao says, it looks quite low-effort. It should be pushing 100k though.

Seeing that Macross Delta is popular here, i don't think 100k is going to be difficult to reach.^_^

smbu2000

A guy working with me has a XBO (and not PS4), 23 y.o. japanese, playing mostly FPS; iirc he also had X360
surely not the typical japanese game, fond of RPG games, like another guy also working with me, 32, he has PS4, PSV, WiiU and basically plays RPG, now very interested in PSVR (guess which is the game he's most interested in it :D )

Honestly considering I visited Japan first time in 2003 I saw all the m$ systems selling here and XBO is no more no less similar to Xbox, basically ignored even if XBO has its own space while Xbox just gave you the feeling "what I'm doing here on the shelves among the king PS2 and the queen GBA???"

X360 was different cause they got exclusives, niche games, rpg and shmup, the latter had a small reinassance time during 2007-2011 but now it's smaller than before, that's happened since Cave gave up in developing.

I don't see so many XBO games on the used shops, so probably the userbase is playing and keeping their purchases, ok that we are talking about products that sold around a thousand copies in the best case scenario but also regarding used HW there are not so many units availabe neither the price has collapsed yet as you could expect from a totally disappointing product.
Yeah, I first travelled to Japan in 2003 as well. Nothing about the XB seemed appealing over here at that time. When I came back in 2006 things didn't seem too bad, especially with all of the RPGs releasing. I picked up the Blue Dragon 360 pack as my first one.

The bad thing about the the Xbox not being so popular is that they don't give you really great prices if you try to sell your games at a game shop. During the 360/PS3 era the PS3 version of the same game would always be worth more even if they released at the same price or sometimes higher on the 360. That's why I never really sold any of my 360 games. It's the same for the X1/ps4, probably even more lopsided now.

I'm still hoping they release the Xbox One S here as it would be nice to have a 4K HDR capable BD player in addition to the nice looking X1S system as I just got a 4K HDR tv. Since it's only sold 60kish in the almost 2 years it's been out here, I'm finding it hard to believe that it will come out anytime soon.

L~A

Amusing, because Berserk Musou did the opposite.

I'm not sure it really matters when their ports and outsourced spinoffs did so well.

PSP : Tales of Eternia ( Namco ) { 2005-03-03 } - 74,630 / 249,173
PSP : Tales of Phantasia: Full Voice Edition ( Bandai Namco ) { 2006-09-07 } - 65,417 / 112,367
PSP : Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology ( Bandai Namco ) { 2006-12-21 } - 97,156 / 214,128
PSP : Tales of Destiny 2 ( Bandai Namco ) { 2007-02-15 } - 65,503 / 135,371
PSP : Tales of Rebirth ( Bandai Namco ) { 2008-03-19 } - 44,888 / 89,944
PSP : Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2 ( Bandai Namco ) { 2009-01-29 } - 210,297 / 317,730
PSP : Tales of Vs. ( Bandai Namco ) { 2009-08-06 } - 153,366 / 238,200
PSP : Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X ( Bandai Namco ) { 2010-08-05 } - 114,199 / 184,355
PSP : Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3 ( Bandai Namco ) { 2011-02-10 } - 212,649 / 278,359
PSP : Tales of the Heroes: Twin Brave ( Bandai Namco ) { 2012-02-23 } - 78,761 / 118,451

What's really surprising is that across Vita and 3DS, there are "only" four Tales of releases, and none are original games.

Didn't strike me when I first read your post, and then I realised they released 10 games in 6 years... wow.

Really makes the lack of games on 3DS/PSV titles even more striking.

Still wondering if they're going to try releasing anything during the first year of Nintendo's next handheld. I could see another port but... which one? Grace? Wouldn't be surprised if they didn't do anything at all, to be honest.

Oh yeah, reminder that the Kunio-kun 3DS game that was supposed to be released in April, then June, is still MIA...

Fisico

Didn't strike me when I first read your post, and then I realised they released 10 games in 6 years... wow.

Yep which is why the usual "oh my god they are releasing so many Tales nowadays" is a bit funny.
Also that's 8 years, not 6.

Top Bottom