• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 33, 2016 (Aug 15 - Aug 21)

Malakai

My reasoning is that in the west a single pokemon entry sells more than every 3ds jrpg released in 3-4 years combined (or even more if someone checks the numbers and dates lol)

It's not crazy to reach the conclussion that a big % of pokemon buyers are not buying the other jrpgs because the difference is too big.

About the radical thing... how many rpgs have you seen where people doesn't care that the story is terribad and recycled during decades? I think that's a radical difference in the standards people have about pokemon vs every other jrpg

Or how about the gaming industry don't make other JRPGs (or RPGs in general) that actually would appear to a broader audience....

Malakai

Psycho, everybody knows that the expression you were trying to find was "traditional PS2 JRPG" so that's why you don't include Pokemon and a lot of other 3DS RPG to fit your criteria. I'm even surprised you didn't include yakuza in your traditional JRPG with global appeal list ;D

And yeah, now the west only buys Pokemon games and no other RPG on 3DS. That's why in the west bravely default and yokai (not saying anything about the Mario RPG games because "lol it doesn't count") sold almost one million copies and Fire emblem Fates (the game that is not an JRPG unlike Bloodborne) almost 1.5 million. We'll see how many of these traditional "JRPG with global appeal" will sell these numbers in the west for PS4.

The lengths that some of you will go... My god!

Nintendo can't win and when Nintendo does win it doesn't count because of reasons....

Celine

My reasoning is that in the west a single pokemon entry sells more than every 3ds jrpg released in 3-4 years combined (or even more if someone checks the numbers and dates lol)

It's not crazy to reach the conclussion that a big % of pokemon buyers are not buying the other jrpgs because the difference is too big.
The same could have been said about Final Fantasy XIII and the rest of JRPG on PS3.

Very few JRPG series sell well in the west, it is know and it's not just a matter of a formula because then Dragon Quest Monsters would have performed much better in the west.

When on 3DS you had games like Bravely Default, Fantasy Life and Fire Emblem that performed better in the west than in Japan it's because there is a sizeable, even if not huge as Pokemon, audience that play them.

Fdkn

The same could have been said about Final Fantasy XIII and the rest of JRPG on PS3.

Very few JRPG series sell well in the west, it is know and it's not just a matter of a formula because then Dragon Quest Monsters would have performed much better in the west.

When on 3DS you had games like Bravely Default, Fantasy Life and Fire Emblem that performed better in the west than in Japan it's because there is a sizeable, even if not huge as Pokemon, audience that play them.

I didn't say that was a phenomena exclusive to Pokemon and even was editing to add that FF in consoles has been the same for decades but then decided to leave it be.

Many FF buyers don't buy any other jrpg in consoles, I'm actually more than sure of that as I've seen it over the years.

And in the rare case they do, their opinions are a mess too :/

Vena

Didn't realize I opened up such a Pandora's Box.

Yeah, definitely.
I'm saying that because the overall sales are so large, there could be pocket of 1-2 million more "hardcore" who do infact buy pokemon along with the Bravely's, SMT, M&L, etc.

And that 1-2m hardcore who buys other games would basically be comparable with any other JRPG currently.

Obviously I don't know for sure if it exists. (Places like GAF lead me to believe that group does exist though) but again I don't see that scenario as much more unreasonable than the opposite being true (i.e. pokemon's total audience almost being completely totally separate from JRPGs in terms of buying practices.)

The one thing that Pokemon (and Yokai to some extent) has over most other releases worldwide is that it is targeted and played by basically the entire age spectrum. Obviously this means a lot more casual play is involved in such a title (and with those numbers, this is obvious) and it also means that kids enter the pool for the genre and can become long term members of the audience.

This in turn leads to the relatively consistent sales of more kid-oriented titles like the Mario RPGs (Paper and M&L) and spills into the various but still continuing flow of kid friendly titles. On the other hand, more casual players who also dip their toes into the genre with Pokemon, will show up for titles like Fantasy Life or Rune Factory (since both are now RIP, Nintendo seemingly decided to make their own) which blends more casually friendly elements with RPG mechanics. And then, obviously mixed in with all of this, is the core that buys just about everything jRPG to some degree though even in there there's obviously a split. Fire Emblem falls somewhere between casual and core nowadays, that's why it went from a few hundred thousands to ~2million seller.

Basically, if we made a ven diagram, Pokemon would encapsulate just about everything, and inside of it would be stuff like Yokai, FE, Fantasy Life, and the Mario RPGs, that all have their own circles that overlap to some degree, and in the core is... the core. Probably have a circle purely for the ATLUS crowd.

Part of the problem with the modern jRPG genre (and in general a symptom of the endemic problem in the Japanese industry) is that it targets fans. It targets the diminishing pool of an audience. Dragon Quest Builders is one of the few entries to eschew that outside of a Nintendo product.

Final Fantasy does similar things, or did, anyway. I am still very dubious of how this new FF will be received and if it won't just slot into the traditional "WRPG" slot with some "Japanese design quirks". It feels like its trying to be a WRPG rather than a JRPG in the traditional sense.

Fdkn

Didn't realize I opened up such a Pandora's Box.

<>

Final Fantasy does similar things, or did, anyway. I am still very dubious of how this new FF will be received and if it won't just slot into the traditional "WRPG" slot with some "Japanese design quirks". It feels like its trying to be a WRPG rather than a JRPG in the traditional sense.

do you really want to open another one? lol

casiopao

About the radical thing... how many rpgs have you seen where people doesn't care that the story is terribad and recycled during decades? I think that's a radical difference in the standards people have about pokemon vs every other jrpg

I am not sure that is any problem here? I mean, if even 20 to 30% of Pokemon fans went to buy other Jrpg games, it already guaranteed at least 3 to 4 million Jrpg fanbase which is open to buy any other Jrpg games. This can be seen by how YW seems to be successful as it also had all those Pokemon/Jrpg fans.

It is not like those who buy FF or Souls game is going to get other Jrpg too if we are counting on the buyers number vs the other Jrpg numbers.

I feel the reason why Jrpg is not really selling on the level of Pokemon or at least even YW is simply because the quality is just not that good/not enough to reach the mainstream market. If, they are able to craft another great experience like YW and reach the mainstream market, i can see they sell well too. (Not to the level of Poke though as that is totally another level of beast.O_O)

Mory Dunz

Maybe mario rpgs shouldn't be brought up in these discussions unless they are resurrected and not filled with dumb decisions.

what a steep decline, has paper jam crossed 1m?

Color Splash won't even sniff it.

....yea I'm still bitter.

Sandfox

Maybe mario rpgs shouldn't be brought up in these discussions unless they are resurrected and not filled with dumb decisions.

Certain other games being brought up have less of a chance to hitting 1 million.

casiopao

Ummm.... do u see the sales number i posted there?O_O

Dream Team and Sticker Star did 2 million there. Paper Jam is still not given yet the number.T_T

I do think 1 million is a lock there. Mario Rpg is a staple series. Color Splash had less chance doing 1 million as it is released on Wii U which is more or less dead right now lol. Unless, there is great promotion then i can see it reaching 1 million.

barybll

Banned
Since that is all that the japanese market is bringing us in these last years.

What will be the next sales disappointment lads?

Ōkami

373_6.png
Megaman returns on mobile!
as Breath of Fire 6 costumes

Starting September 13th.

Wanted to make a thread, but figured it'd be too mean to people. btw Nirolak, how is Breath of Fire 6 doing?

http://cog-members.bof6.jp/sp/news/a_373.html

casiopao

I'm going to agree with this. It's going to be yet another instance of Capcom trying and failing to capture the children market.

With the anime also launching, I will said it will at least reach 200k there.^_^ (Not Gaist Crusher level lol.)

Alrus

Of course it won't be a Gaist Crusher level failure, but 200k for what seems to be a high effort MH spin-off would still be a terrible number.

casiopao

Of course it won't be a Gaist Crusher level failure, but 200k for what seems to be a high effort MH spin-off would still be a terrible number.

That i agree lol. I am not sure here on whats the problem here actually.T_T The game looks good, had quality production, anime incoming but in Japan, it does not seems to had any hype. Whats wrong with MH Stories here?T_T

Color Splash seems to be doing okay considering it's a game for the Wii-U.

horuhe

Winning Eleven has lots of numbers to be a very big bomba, I think. I've seen a better performance for FIFA.

BriBri

Metroid Prime Federation Force not only didn't make the eShop charts but was only #18 amongst digital versions of packaged games for the week. EIGHTEENTH!

mao2

Apparently 3DS version of Kaku-San-Sei Million Arthur will be shutting down on October 31, 2016, about 2 years after it was launched.

duckroll

Square Enix has hypothetically announced Akashic Re:cords for mobile. I say hypothetically since all we have is teaser art and a promise of a big reveal at TGS: http://akareco.jp/

I don't understand how this is hypothetical. The game is announced, there's a title, there are platforms, there's artwork, it's on the TGS line-up. it's on the TGS stage event schedule, there's a producer, and there's an announcement that details will be unveiled on Sept 12, before TGS.

Am I missing something?

casiopao

No idea, but I suppose it did well since it was ported to Vita, 3DS and Kindle Fire. The smartphone version ended service in March 30, 2015 and was succeeded by Kai-ri-Sei Million Arthur which has surpassed 10 million downloads.
http://portal.million-arthurs.com/kairi/

Hoo.. I guess, the reason why it is closed down is not about being unsuccessful but because smartphone is now having a new version? I wonder if S-E will release the updated one to JP 3DS here?

Oregano

Hoo.. I guess, the reason why it is closed down is not about being unsuccessful but because smartphone is now having a new version? I wonder if S-E will release the updated one to JP 3DS here?

The sequel is already announced for Vita/PS4. The first game came later to 3DS but if t was a priority I imagine the sequel would have been announced at the same time.

casiopao

The sequel is already announced for Vita/PS4. The first game came later to 3DS but if t was a priority I imagine the sequel would have been announced at the same time.

Ohh. I see, i see lol. (Don't really follow this game news.T_T). It seems, they just choose to move platform then. Well, lets see whether NX will be able to attract all those mobile game to the platform here. ^^

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't understand how this is hypothetical. The game is announced, there's a title, there are platforms, there's artwork, it's on the TGS line-up. it's on the TGS stage event schedule, there's a producer, and there's an announcement that details will be unveiled on Sept 12, before TGS.

Am I missing something?
Basically my distinction would be that since there aren't really any details about what the game itself is, the actual unveil on September 12th would more so be the announcement with this being the teaser of said announcement.

I listed it as a hypothetical announcement though since this is obviously a lot stronger than just putting up a logo for Resident Evil PSP, which is more of a non-announcement, as opposed to the game itself being hypothetical, when it obviously exists and is probably releasing this year if not this month.

Oregano

Ohh. I see, i see lol. (Don't really follow this game news.T_T). It seems, they just choose to move platform then. Well, lets see whether NX will be able to attract all those mobile game to the platform here. ^^

It's not really moving platform. It's a mobile titles first and foremost and everything is secondary. 3DS came last so it was lowest priority.

Eolz

I didn't say that was a phenomena exclusive to Pokemon and even was editing to add that FF in consoles has been the same for decades but then decided to leave it be.

Many FF buyers don't buy any other jrpg in consoles, I'm actually more than sure of that as I've seen it over the years.

And in the rare case they do, their opinions are a mess too :/

I'd actually agree with that, but mainly because like Pokemon, FF buyers are mainstream games buyers before anything else. Obviously some are open to other JRPGs, but that's a really particular audience.

MH Stories is a good one, but I feel that we're going to get some disappointments (not necessarily in this stream) for the next "big" PS4 games, like P5 and FFXV, even if most people seem to have lowered expectations since some time now.
I'm not really seeing anything important or subject to disappointment this fall otherwise, like I doubt TLG or Paper Mario would have any impact. Nioh might be interesting to follow, since it's the first big/good japanese game like Dark Souls (it's not exactly, but you know what I mean).

Takao

Banned

The first Million Arthur was your typical mobile card game. The second one decided to up the production values with 3D visuals. I don't think SE will bother porting it to 3DS. Maybe NX.

Is the Vita version of the first Million Arthur still running?

duckroll

Basically my distinction would be that since there aren't really any details about what the game itself is, the actual unveil on September 12th would more so be the announcement with this being the teaser of said announcement.

I listed it as a hypothetical announcement though since this is obviously a lot stronger than just putting up a logo for Resident Evil PSP, which is more of a non-announcement, as opposed to the game itself being hypothetical, when it obviously exists and is probably releasing this year if not this month.

I dunno man, I don't want to argue semantics. It's pretty clear the game has been announced for mobile platforms. Details of the game just haven't been unveiled.

Fisico

39k for Berseria, defintely a better hold than expected.
First shipment must be cleared and the game probably is 300k + retail shipped.

Top Bottom