• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 34, 2016 (Aug 22 - Aug 28)

Kanann

Joke: Square Enix buying Platinum Games.

Real: Nintendo buy X, Tecmo Koei buy Y, Square Enix or SEGA buy Z.Nippon Ichi goes bankrupt.

CAPCOM has a chance to survive another 3-5 years with Monhuns and yadayadaREDMC.

I think NIS and Capcom are both heading towards that.

Capcom with who?

One scenario I can actually see happening is that Nintendo buys Level-5 considering how tight they are, but also EG's rumor from last year where apparently Iwata saw Akihiro Hino as a potential successor.

That's about as big as Nintendo would go for. Bandai Namco would be WAY too big. Then again, they seemingly had their eye on Bandai and apparently even Namco on their own prior and those two were already pretty big.

Vena

What's the next likely acquisition/merge that'll happen in Japan? I can see Idea Factory and Nippon Ichi finally laying down their swords and taking hands one day.

If anyone needs to expand by acquiring a studio, it'd probably be Nintendo.
Picking up the Monster Hunter team and licensing the IP.

But in this day and age, you don't usually have any acquires. Studios just work under hire for a larger group be that Nintendo, SE, Sony, or whatever.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Nintendo getting Bamco makes even more sense then it did the first time. There's a lot of synergy there.

Nintendo getting Bamco makes even more sense then it did the first time. There's a lot of synergy there.

I highly agree it'd make sense, if Nintendo could afford it and if they'd even be allowed to.

I remember Bandai specifically cited their success on Sony hardware as one major reason that they opposed the buyout. But that was back in 2003.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Capcom with who?
If you look at the most recent acquisitions in Japan, it's largely been cash rich mobile game and/or media companies (Sega, Gung-Ho, Nepro, Kadokawa) who want to expand into dedicated devices (via Atlus, Grasshopper, Tri-Ace, or From Software).

Were I looking for someone to buy Capcom, I would guess someone along the lines of CyGames. Mind, I don't necessarily mean CyGames itself, since they've been choosing to hire up a ton of staff directly and then partner with independent studios like Platinum.

If I had to pick someone, Mixi/XFLAG has 80 gazillion Monster Strike dollars and nothing to spend it on, has generally failed to open successful new business lines, and has a variety of former Capcom staff working for them.

If you look at the most recent acquisitions in Japan, it's largely been cash rich mobile game and/or media companies (Sega, Gung-Ho, Nepro, Kadokawa) who want to expand into dedicated devices (via Atlus, Grasshopper, Tri-Ace, or From Software).

Were I looking for someone to buy Capcom, I would guess someone along the lines of CyGames. Mind, I don't necessarily mean CyGames itself, since they've been choosing to hire up a ton of staff directly and then partner with independent studios like Platinum.

If I had to pick someone, Mixi/XFLAG has 80 gazillion Monster Strike dollars and nothing to spend it on, has generally failed to open successful new business lines, and has a variety of former Capcom staff working for them.

Just for the hell of it, who do you think Nintendo would/should pick up if it ever happened?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Just for the hell of it, who do you think Nintendo would/should pick up if it ever happened?

I don't think they'll have any difficulty hiring developers directly or partnering with independent dedicated device studios (and sometimes even publishers) to make games targeting their core audience, so I would suggest they make acquisitions to supplement their new business lines.

They lack internal talent in both multimedia creation and mobile gaming, so any investment there is likely to get more bang for their buck than buying Koei Tecmo would since they can just hire Koei Tecmo anyway.

I mean even if you look at Vivendi (Blizzard/Sierra), when they bought additional companies, they bought Activision because of their success in consoles (Vivendi was primarily successful on PC), and then King, who was hugely successful in mobile. They also bought the MLG to augment their eSports ambitions.

I don't think they'll have any difficulty hiring developers directly or partnering with independent dedicated device studios (and sometimes even publishers) to make games targeting their core audience, so I would suggest they make acquisitions to supplement their new business lines.

They lack internal talent in both multimedia creation and mobile gaming, so any investment there is likely to get more bang for their buck than buying Koei Tecmo would since they can just hire Koei Tecmo anyway.

I mean even if you look at Vivendi (Blizzard/Sierra), when they bought additional companies, they bought Activision because of their success in consoles (Vivendi was primarily successful on PC), and then King, who was hugely successful in mobile.

To me it makes more sense for Nintendo to buy a dev (or even a publisher like Koei Tecmo or Bandai Namco) so that they can double or even triple their 1st-party line-up by default, rather than worry about a game-by-game partnership.

Also Bandai owns Sunrise no? That can help their movie/TV business.

Shizuka

I think Nintendo would benefit more from buying Koei Tecmo than Bandai Namco. Wouldn't that be cheaper as well?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
To me it makes more sense for Nintendo to buy a dev (or even a publisher like Koei Tecmo or Bandai Namco) so that they can double or even triple their 1st-party line-up by default, rather than worry about a game-by-game partnership.

Also Bandai owns Sunrise no? That can help their movie/TV business.

Bandai Namco is a $6.2 billion company and generally you have to pay significantly above that to actually acquire a company since there's an expected value of the company that might be quite a bit higher than whatever it's trading at.

Nintendo only has $8 billion in cash, so that would probably take just about all of it and put them in a relatively precarious situation, since Nintendo as a company is in many ways defined by its cash pile given their ho-hum existing cash flow.

There would also be the trick of convincing Bandai Namco's shareholders that this is actually a logical and attractive takeover that benefits Bandai Namco as a company, or paying them so much money that they're willing to take the deal anyway (which is where the large premium on the stock price comes in).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Honestly The Bandai part is the part that would help Nintendo more with future branding/merchandising deals. Getting Namco would just be a bonus.

This is all pie in the sky though as I don't think Nintendo could force a buyout and I don't think Bamco would want to merge.

Bandai Namco is a $6.2 billion company and generally you have to pay significantly above that to actually acquire a company since there's an expected value of the company that might be quite a bit higher than whatever it's trading at.

Nintendo only has $8 billion in cash, so that would probably take just about all of it and put them in a relatively precarious situation.

Yeah as I said above Nintendo may not even be able to afford them, didn't realize it was that close at that.

Level-5 might be cheap enough and provide the quantity, then again, like 90% of their line-up (sans mobile) is on Nintendo hardware (exclusive at that) so it's not the most necessary.

Not sure what Koei Tecmo's $ value is.

Thing is, who would've ever thought Nintendo would buy Monolith? The only game they put out with Nintendo at the time was Baten Kaitos Origins. They had Disaster and secretly Xenoblade underway, but still, that was really out of nowhere.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Honestly The Bandai part is the part that would help Nintendo more with future branding/merchandising deals. Getting Namco would just be a bonus.

This is all pie in the sky though as I don't think Nintendo could force a buyout and I don't think Bamco would want to merge.

I'm sure Bandai Namco would merge if they could sell Nintendo merchandizing and games on every possible channel in existence, but I don't think that's the question at hand. :p

Yeah as I said above Nintendo may not even be able to afford them, didn't realize it was that close at that.

Level-5 might be cheap enough and provide the quantity, then again, like 90% of their line-up (sans mobile) is on Nintendo hardware (exclusive at that) so it's not the most necessary.

Not sure what Koei Tecmo's $ value is.
The issue with Level-5 is that they're a private company, so only what Hino wants to happen will happen.

Koei-Tecmo is only $1.9 billion yen, but I'm not sure there's a real value gain for Nintendo there given their line-up is far from astounding.

Nintendo only has $8 billion in cash, so that would probably take just about all of it and put them in a relatively precarious situation, since Nintendo as a company is in many ways defined by its cash pile given their ho-hum existing cash flow.

Nintendo got Monolith Soft for their stock in Namco right ?

Eliseo

There would also be the trick of convincing Bandai Namco's shareholders that this is actually a logical and attractive takeover that benefits Bandai Namco as a company, or paying them so much money that they're willing to take the deal anyway (which is where the large premium on the stock price comes in).

Does Nintendo has any kind of debt like Sony?

Man God

Non-Canon Member

I mean even if you look at Vivendi (Blizzard/Sierra), when they bought additional companies, they bought Activision because of their success in consoles (Vivendi was primarily successful on PC), and then King, who was hugely successful in mobile. They also bought the MLG to augment their eSports ambitions.

Look at the last major developer for sale, Atlus. Could Nintendo have bought them? Sure, at a good price too. Why bother though when they get a giant chunk of Atlus's development anyways?

Nintendo's likely moves in the near future are going to be in media and mobile and likely small ones at that.

Ōkami

Why would any console manufacturer want to purchase Koei Tecmo?

None of their IPs are worth a damn anymore, and they know it, there's a good reason they're making so many licensed games lately.

Nintendo / Sony whoever is better off just hiring them, which they have been and it seems like they'be been doing ok.

I could see some large Chinese company interested, but nobody from Japan.

Though a timeline where Nintendo publishes a Berserk game would be interesting, Guts amiibo.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think the best way to explain why I feel a Koei-Tecmo purchase would be bad is this.

To buy Koei-Tecmo, Nintendo would probably need to do at least a 25-30% premium on the stock, so they're spending $2.5 billion.

In return for $2.5 billion, Nintendo gets:
- Exclusive Musou games.
- Gust titles like Atelier and Night of Azure.
- A couple of browser games on Yahoo Japan.
- Dead or Alive and Nioh from Team Ninja.

Like... do people actually feel that's a good investment? I'm sure they could just pay Koei Tecmo $50-$100 million a year and get about that much content anyway.

I don't think any of those acquisitions make much sense. The console business is paltry at best in Japan. What good would really come from the purchases? Just keep doing third party deals. It is much cheaper and you, more or less, get the same thing.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Capcom would be much more expensive no?

They're a bit under $1.5 billion and their income is pathetic so you might not have to pay much of a premium, but they're also a go-nowhere company which is why no one is attempting to buy them.

3-5 years from now they might be under $1 billion at which point I could see someone like Mixi trying to pick them up in a play to use their cash for something.

Nintendo in particular already has Monster Hunter on their platform and there's basically no value in anything else for them, unless they're speculatively purchasing their as of yet unsuccessful mobile development arm.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Capcom would be much more expensive no?

Capcom has much better IP though. I still don't think buying them makes sense. They already get the best fit franchise in MH. Getting Megaman and Street Fighter and a depressed Resident Evil isn't going to make up for the billions they'd need to spend.

Namco Bandai does make sense if they went big into media/mobile interests because they have even more highly desirable IP, the sort of stuff they'd need if they truly wanted to be the Disney of Japan.

Ōkami

I don't think Nintendo has ever acquired a fully independent game studio, like ever.

If they felt like now was a good time to start I'd bet they'd be looking for mobile developers.

Ōkami;215996697 said:
I don't think Nintendo has ever acquired a fully independent game studio, like ever.

If they felt like now was a good time to start I'd bet they'd be looking for mobile developers.

Retro was no? Or did they start out as 2nd-party?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They're a bit under $1.5 billion and their income is pathetic so you might not have to pay much of a premium, but they're also a go-nowhere company which is why no one is attempting to buy them.

3-5 years from now they might be under $1 billion at which point I could see someone like Mixi trying to pick them up in a play to use their cash for something.

Nintendo in particular already has Monster Hunter on their platform and there's basically no value in anything else for them, unless they're speculatively purchasing their as of yet unsuccessful mobile development arm.

The only other thing I can think of, (besides a Nintendo developed Megaman which would do good but not spectacular numbers) is a theoretical Nintendo vs. Capcom fighting game. But even then the best avenue to get a game like that would be a deal and not by buying the company. Hell its not like Capcom would even be the ones developing it, it would be Dimps or Eighting or what have you.

Vena

As noted above, I think the only thing Nintendo would be interested in doing with Capcom would be to buy the talent for the MonHun titles and license the IP from Capcom (or outright buy it, but that's extremely rare).

... Kinda like what they just did with Momotaro Densetsu.

... Kinda like what they just did with Momotaro Densetsu.

This is likely the best thing if they can make it happen; try to acquire everything Hudson, including the name and just rebrand ND Cube as Hudson, along with buying the IPs including Bomberman and Bloody Roar.

ND Cube can take care of most of the IPs but can also work with 8ing on Bloody Roar who've always worked on the series.

Sterok

I feel like Nintendo should have been buying up during the DS/Wii days when studios (in JP and the west) were struggling a lot with HD development. Would've helped bolster their first party content right now when they really need anything they can get. Oh well, Nintendo is an expert at missed opportunities.

Right now probably isn't the right time to be buying up companies dedicated to console games. If the NX isn't a flop they they'll end up on it or wouldn't belong on it anyway. All that extra cash should be used to diversify their non-handheld/console gaming portfolio which their desperately behind on.

mao2

Like... do people actually feel that's a good investment? I'm sure they could just pay Koei Tecmo $50-$100 million a year and get about that much content anyway.
I think it's pretty obvious by now that some posters here are just port-begging. Often we've been seeing topics such as "X should've been on 3DS" and now it's "Nintendo should be buying X company (so that their games will be exclusive to Nintendo platforms)".

I want DoA and Atelier amiibos =)
Eh, there's no need to buy a company to release their amiibos. Plus, there are already many DOA and Atelier figure/figurines out there if you just want to collect them. Rorona's figure released by Megahouse a few years ago is really nice.
http://www.megahobby.jp/products/item/838/

Sandfox

Capcom with who?

One scenario I can actually see happening is that Nintendo buys Level-5 considering how tight they are, but also EG's rumor from last year where apparently Iwata saw Akihiro Hino as a potential successor.

That's about as big as Nintendo would go for. Bandai Namco would be WAY too big. Then again, they seemingly had their eye on Bandai and apparently even Namco on their own prior and those two were already pretty big.
Nirolak has already touched upon it, but I would expect a mobile company to get them.

With Level-5 the real benefit would be on the mobile side of things.

I guess it would depend on if they felt they could find more success with the resources they gain in the deal than Capcom currently is.

Ōkami

Wasn't Retro, Acclaim? They basically bought the talent and formed a new studio.
It was Iguana not Acclaim and no, Nintendo just got key people out and funded a new studio, plenty of other people left due to that and they became Retro.

Iguana got rebranded as Acclaim Austin, they were the studio that made Turok 3 and Evolution. Shut down in 2004

Vena

Retro was made up of/was Iguana at one point. They did a lot of Acclaim console ports.

Ōkami;215997435 said:
It was Iguana not Acclaim and no, Nintendo just got key people out and funded a new studio, plenty of other people left due to that and they became Retro.

Iguana got rebranded as Acclaim Austin, they were the studio that made Turok 3 and Evolution. Shut down in 2004

Ahh cool. Didn't know this! Learned for the future!

Much thanks. :D

casiopao

I think Level-5 will grow better at managing their franchises, YW is one of L5's biggest hits and they're likely learning on how to adapt and make a bigger market.

Level-5 is probably closer to making as many big projects as Square Enix than ever.

I believe we said this exact thing before lol. Level-5 after Layton will be able to handle their IP better.
After Inazuma Eleven. After Fantasy Life. After LBX.

We just need to accept the fact that it is not Level-5 style here.

And for Nintendo to buy Level-5....i can't see it. Hino love the freedom he had with his private company so i had hard times seeing this happen.O_O

On the other hand, i would think Nintendo would be better go and buy some mobile company likey Cygames. As Nintendo would need more power to dive into mobile market rather than looking for Capcom who is faltering everywhere, Koei which is a niche company and of course not Bamco which is damn expensive.O_O

EDIT: Actually talking about mobile company, what is the biggest mobile game company nowadays which is not part of the big traditional gaming company like S-E, Bamco, Nintendo? I would say, Nintendo should focus on getting some of the developer there first.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The company I wonder most about in the next five years is Nippon Ichi. They are in for some interesting times if the Vita isn't replaced by a Sony product or they won't/can't adapt to the NX. PS4 and super late Steam versions isn't going to cut it.

Takao

Banned
I don't see much benefit in that for Sony lol.

they need to increase their share in the alice in zombieland movies before the inevitable reboot

plus, sony would get such hit ips like dying horror franchise #1, dying horror franchise #9, hugely popular ip limited to a product type they're not interested in, bait for a lawyer tv show, failed fighting game #1, chronically unsuccessful platformer

but hey, maybe mega man battle network on mobile would make a billion dollars
or not

Man God

Non-Canon Member
they need to increase their share in the alice in zombieland movies before the inevitable reboot

plus, sony would get such hit ips like dying horror franchise #1, dying horror franchise #9, hugely popular ip limited to a product type they're not interested in, bait for a lawyer tv show, failed fighting game #1, chronically unsuccessful platformer

but hey, maybe mega man battle network on mobile would make a billion dollars
or not

You may joke but I bet Capcom could make a boatload off of a well targeted mobile BN game. The franchise could do quite well there, but it is probably too late for that.

Takao

Banned
I'd argue nostalgia for Battle Network is just about ready for exploitation. They do a lot of merch for it in Japan, but the company is too cheap to do anything more.

Vena

I'd argue nostalgia for Battle Network is just about ready for exploitation. They do a lot of merch for it in Japan, but the company is too cheap to do anything more.

2D Action-Platformer MegaMan made by former-EAD or Retro would probably light GAF on fire, but I have no idea how that would do in the real world. It could be what MNo.9 failed to be.

The company I wonder most about in the next five years is Nippon Ichi. They are in for some interesting times if the Vita isn't replaced by a Sony product or they won't/can't adapt to the NX. PS4 and super late Steam versions isn't going to cut it.

Right. Disgaea 5 really didn't do so well and that's their big main series.

They said they were evaluating NX support, which really seems almost necessary since as you said, Sony is likely not going to release another handheld so what are they left with? Did Disgaea PC do anything?

Same goes for other Sony handheld folks like Gust, Compile Heart, Falcom, etc.

Sandfox

I loved Battle Network, but that series along with MMZ killed the franchise as a whole.

Even then they've been losing big name talent to companies like Idea Factory IIRC and D5 bombed hard.

Top Bottom