• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 35, 2016 (Aug 29 - Sep 04)

duckroll

I can see why you'd say this but still. Phantasy Star Nova should've sold more than 200k given it was following on from the Portable games, yet that was a disaster. I don't think there's any guarantee in today's market.

Still, the potential is there. Guess it depends whether it gets any nostalgia marketing.

Phantasy Star Nova certainly could have sold a lot more than 200k, if it was the game people wanted it to be. I think before details were made clear and the demos were released, most people speculating on sales based on limited information would agree that it could do well over 200k. Closer to 500k even.

But it wasn't the PS Portable successor people wanted. It was something else dressed up as that. tri-Ace did not make a game PS Portable fans wanted, so they didn't buy it. With all the free demos, people have enough chances to consider if they wanted it before it was released.

The same goes for SaGa here. The game could well be a dud. But if it is the proper SaGa game that fans have been waiting for, it can definitely sell over 200k. The audience hasn't just died overnight. It's not about nostalgia marketing. It is also about what the game itself is. I already discussed some of my concerns about how the game might be more disappointing than we expect in the current SaGa thread, and whether those fears turn out true or not will be cleared up when they show the actual game this Sunday.

Shinriji

I can see why you'd say this but still. Phantasy Star Nova should've sold more than 200k given it was following on from the Portable games, yet that was a disaster. I don't think there's any guarantee in today's market.

Still, the potential is there. Guess it depends whether it gets any nostalgia marketing.

Nova was a shit, single player, coming of the heels of an incredibly successful PSO2. We wanted PS Portable 3 and we got Virtua Quest 2. 170k was much more than that game deserved.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
You guys are talking about SaGa and KH while I'm here thinking wtf SE is doing making an Itadaki Street game for Vita and PS4.

Yeah, that was probably the most surprising announcement coming off an overall dull Sony pre-TGS conference. Sincerly surprised it happened.

Maybe an NX version will be announced later? Random guess, though

duckroll

Nova was a shit, single player, coming of the heels of a incredibly sucessfull PSO2. We wanted PS Portable 3 and we got Virtua Quest 2. 170k was much more than that game deserved.

Damn, I didn't need to type all that shit I did when this sums it up so much better lol.

Takao

Banned
I love how Vita is even getting the board game but still not the mainline one!

Itadaki Street was the only Dragon Quest related thing released on PSP ... which is really insane if you think about it. PS4 and Vita have more Dragon Quest games than the last successful PlayStation platform in Japan.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
To be fair, Itadaki Street was the only Dragon Quest related thing released on PSP ... which is really insane if you think about it.

Wasn't it also a port of a PS2 Itadaki Street game? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Oregano

It's rare for Vita games to sell over 200k, that's the only thing that could hold SaGa back but I don't think it will have much effect.

Itadaki Street just shows how invested Square Enix is in the PlayStation ecosystem now. You also had Tabata on stage talking about "activizing" Japan.

casiopao

You guys are talking about SaGa and KH while I'm here thinking wtf SE is doing making an Itadaki Street game for Vita and PS4.

This is actually the biggest question. I mean, is there any demographic for the game here lol. This kind of game is better on 3DS or even Wii U lol.

Dream? Monster Hunter for PS4 was a dream.
Trinity was an illusion.

Lol. Savage.^_^(MH Frontier does come to PS4 though lol.^_^)

It's rare for Vita games to sell over 200k, that's the only thing that could hold SaGa back but I don't think it will have much effect.

Itadaki Street just shows how invested Square Enix is in the PlayStation ecosystem now. You also had Tabata on stage talking about "activizing" Japan.

Minecraft 36,151 / 864,474
God Eater 2 266,326 / 456,670
Persona 4 Golden 137,076 / 371,233
God Eater 2: Rage Burst 234,180 / 356,996
Final Fantasy X/X2 HD Remaster 149,132 / 337,744
Freedom Wars 188,888 / 292,328
Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment 145,029 / 286,329
Dragon Quest Builders 178,01 / 281,265
Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f 159,952 / 255,141
Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational 61,412 / 245,758
Toukiden: The Age of Demons 122,794 / 241,799
Soul Sacrifice 92,396 / 225,960
Dragon Quest Heroes 2 120,664 / 215,631
Sword Art Online: Lost Song 139,298 / 213,006

I don't see why SaGa can't join these titles really, it's certainly of the same level. It's becoming a rarer occurrence though and I wonder if it'll be the last Vita title with a chance of breaking 200k (possibly Super Robot Wars V? I don't know how big that's supposed to be).

lherre

Accurate
Oh I missed the mark-up, whats the price on the Luna Slim?

CsN1eoCUkAAnKZq.jpg

EDIT: late!!

Really what is the point of Persona bundle? It costs more than picking Slim and Persona separately and it doesn't have even custom look. At least FF bundle has console with custom look (and box with custom look)

Wow... why such a huge mark up?
Custom console bundles pretty much always have mark up in Japan. XIII bundle back in a day was even more expensive (¥41,600)

Fisico

Sure, why not?

SaGa sold 1.1 million.
Romancing SaGa sold over 900k.
Romancing SaGa 2 sold 1.1 million.
Romancing SaGa 3 sold 1.3 million.
SaGa Frontier sold over a million.
SaGa Frontier 2 sold over 600k.
Unlimited SaGa sold over 400k.
Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song sold 450k.

A huge part of the series' popularity came from the aspects attached to it since Romancing SaGa - namely the amazing Kobayashi artwork and the great music from Ito or Hamauzu. Both of which the DS remakes of the super old GB games lacked. Even then the first DS remake sold pretty well for something that was really low budget and outsourced to a Z-tier dev studio.

Well I do understand that it was popular, but does that popularity still hold today ?
Last million seller (Saga Frontier) was almost 20 years ago, last game in your list was more than 10 years ago and it already plummeted in sales pretty hard, so where does the IP stand today was my real question.

I didn't know about the DS remakes though so thanks for the info.

lherre

Accurate
Really what is the point of Persona bundle? It costs more than picking Slim and Persona separately and it doesn't have even custom look. At least FF bundle has console with custom look (and box with custom look)

Custom console bundles pretty much always have mark up in Japan. XIII bundle back in a day was even more expensive (¥41,600)

I don't remember the price of XIII bundle to be honest, at least I bought it without taxes in a softmap in ikebukuro.

duckroll

Well I do understand that it was popular, but does that popularity still hold today ?
Last million seller (Saga Frontier) was almost 20 years ago, last game in your list was more than 10 years ago and it already plummeted in sales pretty hard, so where does the IP stand today was my real question.

I didn't know about the DS remakes though so thanks for the info.

I think that stuff like Emperor SaGa being popular enough to keep running, and the recent Romancing SaGa 2 "remake" on mobile and Vita show that there is still demand. We're not talking about FF levels of popularity here, but the SaGa brand still holds value to a lot of people, but it has to be the right sort of game.

Wait what's going on?

Did I miss something?

Per their financial reports, there's an unannounced MH game coming this FY (by the end of March) of which Capcom expects to sell 2m units.

The 3DS part is because that's the only platform they could plausibly reach that number on. The NX part is just speculation as to why it hasn't been announced yet, AFAIK.

Vena

Per their financial reports, there's an unannounced MH game coming this FY (by the end of March) of which Capcom expects to sell 2m units.

The 3DS part is because that's the only platform they could plausibly reach that number on. The NX part is just speculation as to why it hasn't been announced yet, AFAIK.

I still say its 3DS-only, but it won't be shown until after Stories has launched.

Hellraider

I still say its 3DS-only, but it won't be shown until after Stories has launched.

Wouldn't suprise me in the slightest, tbh. I still find extremely suspicious the Generations western release though. The only way it would make sense in my mind is if they plan to bring only an NX version of Generations in the West.

Ōkami

There's going to be a Battlefield 1 Xbox One bundle, coming October 13th, 29.980 and with a free month of EA access.

34.980 actually, that's what it says on the Xbox site, though amazon has it different.

Welfare

Ōkami;216788875 said:
There's going to be a Battlefield 1 Xbox One bundle, coming October 13th, 29.980 and with a free month of EA access.
Not an S bundle?

What are they doing, dumping all unsold fat models over in Japan?

saichi

There is no buzz for KH2.8, Saga or WoFF in JP... maybe holiday can help Saga reach 200K but don't think it's likely

hiska-kun

Wow... why such a huge mark up?

Persona Bundle is 1TB PS4.

PS4 Slim 500GB 29,980¥
PS4 Slim 1TB 34,980¥

PS4 games usually cost 7,000¥, so the bundle is still cheaper than pick up separately. I don't have the details for FFXV but probably is the same case.

Oregano

I don't see why SaGa can't join these titles really, it's certainly of the same level. It's becoming a rarer occurrence though and I wonder if it'll be the last Vita title with a chance of breaking 200k (possibly Super Robot Wars V? I don't know how big that's supposed to be).

As I said it probably won't have any affect but it's a notable trend and other than the game being bad I can't see why SaGa would sell less than 200k.

Vena

Persona Bundle is 1TB PS4.

PS4 Slim 500GB 29,980¥
PS4 Slim 1TB 34,980¥

PS4 games usually cost 7,000¥, so the bundle is still cheaper than pick up separately. I don't have the details for FFXV but probably is the same case.

Breakdown is much appreciated, but I was looking at/talking about the FFXV Moon PS4. :p

Arzehn

Any thoughts on Sony's "Stars of Kids" project? Seems like they want to attract kids to their platform as well. Sounds like they're planning some cross-media projects.

Aters

This is actually the biggest question. I mean, is there any demographic for the game here lol. This kind of game is better on 3DS or even Wii U lol.

Except the previous titles are on PS2 and PSP?

There is no buzz for KH2.8, Saga or WoFF in JP... maybe holiday can help Saga reach 200K but don't think it's likely

Japan don't have buzz for anything (except Pokemon maybe). I'd say 200k for KH2.8, 300k for WoFF two version combined. Need to know how those remakes sell on Vita to predict the performance of Saga.

I'm very interested in seeing how 2.8 does in Japan (and NA). 2.5 was a big drop from 1.5 in JP but for some reason it did almost exact same numbers in NA even when the PS3 was already dead with it being December 2014 and all.

I could see it doing real bad in Japan and real good in the US. Kingdom Hearts in general is in a weird position in Japan after DDD flopped, a title that more than anything felt like it was aimed for japanese audience.

Shizuka

It's the last big PlayStation Vita exclusive in Japan. If it doesn't break 200k units sold, no other game will for the rest of the system's life, as far as upcoming releases go.

Takao

Banned
Any thoughts on Sony's "Stars of Kids" project? Seems like they want to attract kids to their platform as well. Sounds like they're planning some cross-media projects.

Sony is a company that killed off all of their family friendly IPs and just kind of fell into Minecraft. Don't hope for miracles.

Except the previous titles are on PS2 and PSP?

PS1 Itadaki Street: Gorgeous King 144.172 / 281.014 Enix 9/23/1998
PS2 Itadaki Street 3: Okumanchouja ni Shite Ageru! 66.738 / 163.659 Enix 2/28/2002
PS2 Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Special [All Versions] 185.809 / 399.715 Square Enix 12/22/2004
PSP Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Portable [All Versions] 48.118 / 154.591 Square Enix 5/25/2006
NDS Itadaki Street DS: Dragon Quest & Super Mario 140.560 / 424.948 Square Enix 6/21/2007
WII Itadaki Street Wii 35.811 / 211.552 Square Enix 12/1/2011

PS4 and Vita are no where close to being the platforms PS2 and PSP were. A 3DS game would do considerably better. Wii U? Maybe early into its life. Probably not now.

Oregano

Sony is a company that killed off all of their family friendly IPs and just kind of fell into Minecraft. Don't hope for miracles.

PS2 Itadaki Street 3: Okumanchouja ni Shite Ageru! 66.738 / 163.659 Enix 2/28/2002
PS2 Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Special [All Versions] 185.809 / 399.715 Square Enix 12/22/2004
PSP Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Portable [All Versions] 48.118 / 154.591 Square Enix 5/25/2006
NDS Itadaki Street DS: Dragon Quest & Super Mario 140.560 / 424.948 Square Enix 6/21/2007

PS4 and Vita are no where close to being the platforms PS2 and PSP were. A 3DS game would do considerably better. Wii U? Maybe early into its life. Probably not now.

I'm sceptical that there's an audience for party games and DQ/FF on the 3DS. It totally screams Vita to me.

I'd say it's clear at this point that since Matsuda taking over Square Enix is focusing (near) exclusively on PlayStation platforms for HD games.

mao2

Wouldn't be surprised if there's a version being developed for Nintendo platform(s) as well.

Top Bottom