• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 38, 2016 (Sep 19 - Sep 25)

L~A

Pokémon Sun and Moon demo on October 18th. Also, special 2DS model launching on December 8th. Game not included.

00000413_03.jpg

https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/07affce1-83b2-11e6-9b38-063b7ac45a6d.html

Vena

Well, DQB may not be super indicative of our previous discussion on SE, it has gotten positive reviews but if you look at its position on Amazon (which while not the best indicator, has generally not been a terrible barometer if NPD has taught me anything) you'll find that its doing less than well (is the Vita version DD-only?). In a similar time frame to launch, DQVII was sitting in the Top 10/20.

The rather maligned Paper Mario is well and far above it, and I am going to be surprised if that doesn't struggle immensely (and potentially reviews lower) due to the schism in the audience for the series.

Consequently, I think that same barometer tells us that YW2 did... (very) poorly in its western debut as well on top of not great reviews. At least in the US market. PAL will be interesting to follow for both (well, all three) since we'll at least see positions of release in the coming handful of weeks.

The blogger guy doesn't look happy. It seems something got delayed? It might be related with today's Sony retailer meeting.

I wonder what its about. If he's unhappy now, feels like its probably some game (big?) got delayed.

FF XV just got an update 4 days ago about being done and went to certification:

"Starting today, Final Fantasy XV is content locked. That means no further changes will be made to it unless it’s absolutely necessary. Now the game is off to certification and in two months its new release date of November 29."

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2016/09/update-final-fantasy-xvs-visual-quality/

So it's probably not it. Maybe Yakuza 6? Or maybe something not Sony related.

Thanks. ;D
No prob!

But yeah, I think DQB will do alright overall. The WW sales on top of Japan sales should be a decent bump but I don't see it performing notably well. It would need to have that word of mouth popularity to see a considerable boost. I just don't think that will happen though.

Vena

It would need to have that word of mouth popularity to see a considerable boost. I just don't think that will happen though.

No multi will kill it in the west. But I agree it will coast fine on its successes in Japan, I was just harking back to our discussion with regards to releases in general and "notable successes", the west, and reviews and such.

So it's probably not it. Maybe Yakuza 6? Or maybe something not Sony related.

Nintendo's got nothing but Pokemon (not getting delayed) and Paper Mario (about to release, irrelevant). The 2DS is out, and a new bundle is announced (well not really a bundle), and they aren't going to tell a merchant meeting anything about the NX or potential delays (not until the shareholders meeting if that occurs).

No multi will kill it in the west.

Nintendo's got nothing but Pokemon (not getting delayed) and Paper Mario (about to release, irrelevant). The 2DS is out, and a new bundle is released, and they aren't going to tell a merchant meeting anything about the NX or potential delays (not until the shareholders meeting if that occurs).

Probably Yakuza 6 then. FF XV just got a video yesterday with the release date attached to the end of it. Last time the game was delayed they posted a video without the release date a few day before the official announcement.

Tomb Raider is a somewhat open-ish singleplayer cinematic third person shooter, which is a product you see almost no one making anymore.

I feel like this statement is oversimplifying things a bit. Or it could be something else but the general tone of your two write ups feels a bit off to me.

Maybe almost no one is making 3rd person shoot bangs going forward but there were still a bunch of high profile ones in the past year or two. I thinking of stuff like The Order 1886, and Quantum Break, along with Gears that MS has in development. Now that's because of the nature of the long dev cycle necessary for games these that it's hard to correct for shifting trends. That doesn't change my perception that there were more than enough linear 3rd person shooters being released in the past year or two.

Which I guess doesn't contradict this statement.
I know this will sound really harsh, but for Tomb Raider, I think they needed to reinvent the entire series again, because it took too long for them to get the first reboot out and they already lost the opportunity to make an iteratively improved sequel instead of a striking reinvention toward modern trends.

Also First Person shooters still feel like they haven't changed at all from the past generation and seem to be still popular. Looking at Doom this year, the only thing I can say is that the levels aren't completely linear, but the gameplay is still pretty much the same.

Oregano

I feel like this statement is oversimplifying things a bit. Or it could be something else but the general tone of your two write ups feels a bit off to me.

Maybe almost no one is making 3rd person shoot bangs going forward but there were still a bunch of high profile ones in the past year or two. I thinking of stuff like The Order 1886, and Quantum Break, along with Gears that MS has in development. Now that's because of the nature of the long dev cycle necessary for games these that it's hard to correct for shifting trends. That doesn't change my perception that there were more than enough linear 3rd person shooters being released in the past year or two.

Which I guess doesn't contradict this statement.

Also First Person shooters still feel like they haven't changed at all from the past generation and seem to be still popular. Looking at Doom this year, the only thing I can say is that the levels aren't completely linear, but the gameplay is still pretty much the same.

Well The Order and Quantum Break both underperformed and it doesn't look like Gears is going to do amazingly...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I feel a key difference between Uncharted and Splatoon is that Uncharted is a cinematic set piece shooter sold on its campaign with a bonus multiplayer mode whereas Splatoon is a competitive multiplayer shooter service game with a bonus campaign mode.

The latter is actually far more in tune with the market. Uncharted is still selling by virtue of being genre champion and delivering 90+ rated experiences to a very well established audience.

Sterok put it really well in their post.

yeah. Should have mentioned in my post but I kinda meant traditional third person shooters with heavy single player focus (like Nirolak pointed out) but yeah if the criteria is only third person point of view Splatoon obviously also counts.

Eolz

I feel a key difference between Uncharted and Splatoon is that Uncharted is a cinematic set piece shooter sold on its campaign with a bonus multiplayer mode whereas Splatoon is a competitive multiplayer shooter service game with a bonus campaign mode.

The latter is actually far more in tune with the market. Uncharted is still selling by virtue of being genre champion and delivering 90+ rated experiences to a very well established audience.

Sterok put it really well in their post.

Well, that and the artstyles.

BriBri

Monster Hunter Stories pre-load was number 7 on the 3DS eShop charts for last week which probably indicates at least several hundred (including moi!) but probably not several thousand who played the demo bought the full game.

casiopao

Pokémon Sun and Moon demo on October 18th. Also, special 2DS model launching on December 8th. Game not included.

https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/07affce1-83b2-11e6-9b38-063b7ac45a6d.html

This is going to be interesting. I wonder if this will sold really well especially after Poke Go huge success.^_^

Monster Hunter Stories pre-load was number 7 on the 3DS eShop charts for last week which probably indicates at least several hundred (including moi!) but probably not several thousand who played the demo bought the full game.

Now, the big test on the leg will begin.

Will it had those nice long Elder Dragon leg or stubby and short Khezu leg.T_T

L~A

Nintendo eShop Sales - Week 39 2016

Nintendo 3DS

(N) 01. Dasshutsu Adventure: Dainana no Yogen (Arc System Works) [28.9.2016]
(-1) 02. Pokémon Yellow Version: Pikachu Special Version (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [27.2.2016]
(-1) 03. The Battle Cats POP (Ponos) [31.5.2015]
(-1) 04. Pokémon Red Version (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [27.2.2016]
(-1) 05. Sabaku no Nezumidan (Arc System Works) [02.9.2016]
(-1) 06. Cube Creator 3D (Arc System Works) [15.7.2015]
(N) 07. Monster Hunter Stories (Capcom) [08.10.2016]
(+1) 08. Battleminer (Starsign) [10.2.2016]
(-2) 09. Pokémon Blue Version (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [27.2.2016]
(=) 10. Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Nintendo) [08.11.2012]

Wii U

(=) 01. Discovery (Rainy Frog) [31.8.2016]
(=) 02. Minecraft: Wii U Edition (Microsoft Japan) [17.12.2015]
(=) 03. Terraria (Spike Chunsoft) [15.9.2016]
(=) 04. Splatoon (Nintendo) [28.5.2013]
(N) 05. Wrecking Crew '98 (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [28.9.2016]
(+2) 06. Super Mario Maker (Nintendo) [10.9.2015]
(+2) 07. Super Mario World (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [27.4.2013]
(-2) 08. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Nintendo, Wii Download on Wii U) [02.9.2016]
(-2) 09. Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo) [29.5.2014]
(=) 10. Art Academy: Sketchpad (Nintendo) [08.8.2013]

https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/7e1319f7-86cc-11e6-9b38-063b7ac45a6d.html

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Doesnt bode to well for MHS legs but the Anime just started maybe it will pick up.

There obv. is a narrative disconnect between MHS and the main MH series - MH players are used to kill monsters with friends with huge-ass weapons in quite the brutal manner, these foes you spend 1000 of hours killing for better equipment are now your Yokai/Pokemon BFFs ? lol

seems the game that got delayed is gravity rush 2, not yakuza 6 (or the other 2 suspected game). some tweet about it is being spread now

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
seems the game that got delayed is gravity rush 2, not yakuza 6 (or the other 2 suspected game). some tweet about it is being spread now

Yeah, I just saw some tweets about it as well. I wonder if the delay will be international, at this point?

Honestly, it's probably for the best: a bit more chances to sell outside of the insane window it was into

Roflmao. So much for the "amazing" time slot MHS had. Guess kids didn't want to bother waking up to watch something they weren't interested in. Level-5's Time Bokan 24 was quite a hit though! :p

http://www.videor.co.jp/data/ratedata/top10.htm#anime

MHS didn't even place in the Top10 anime for the week. Lol.
Sheesh.

Of of curiosity, what is the actual top 10 list?
You 'Roflmao' over an anime and presumably subsequently game bombing hard. Great precedent set as an admin.
Oh calm down.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I mean its the first episode of a new show on a new (?) time slot - doubt anyone was expecting One Piece or Level 5 type of performance week 1.

Is it really going to be any better if it's delayed to a Q1 2017 release, lol?

Also, is this really a big deal to the retailers? It's like a ~100k at best release in Japan.

Sheesh.

Of of curiosity, what is the actual top 10 list?

Oh calm down.

1. Sazae-san
2. Chibi Maruko-chan
3. Detective Conan
4. One Piece
5. Time Bokan 24
6. Dragon Ball Super
7. Curious George <- no idea what is this
8. Youkai Watch
9. Shaun the Sheep
10. Go! Go! Chuggington <- no idea what is this as well

DKHF

Gravity Rush 2 delay sucks but getting out of the way of FFXV, Yakuza 6 and TLG (the former two certainly being two of PS4's all time highest selling games) is good for it. Even though it still won't sell well/decently with less/no competition, it will be better than releasing on its current date.

casiopao

Roflmao. So much for the "amazing" time slot MHS had. Guess kids didn't want to bother waking up to watch something they weren't interested in. Level-5's Time Bokan 24 was quite a hit though! :p

http://www.videor.co.jp/data/ratedata/top10.htm#anime

MHS didn't even place in the Top10 anime for the week. Lol.

Lol. Capcom can't take a break.

Meanwhile Level-5 still showing they had the Midas Hand lol. And here we had people questioned their ability to launch new IP. Hell, all we need now is Macross Age to make them moar successful lol.

L~A

You guys know where I can download the first episode?

Crunchyroll has it, though only for people from NA, UK, Ireland.

Of course, there's other ways to get it, but that's a big no-no for GAF.

About GD2 delay, I'm surprised. I don't see why retailers would care all that much, when December is the busiest month of the year for them.

crinale

MHS not supported by CoroCoro is quite baffling.. I know it takes tons of money to team up with CoroCoro Monthly, but I can't quite remember any of recent kid friendly series or franchise that really "took off" without that support.
(Though it's worth noting that CoroCoro's support never guarantees the franchise's success
see Gundam Age
).

..or maybe, just maybe Capcom may want to set the precedent that companies can succeed in kids friendly franchise without being assisted by Shogakukan's iron grasp.

1. Sazae-san
2. Chibi Maruko-chan
3. Detective Conan
4. One Piece
5. Time Bokan 24
6. Dragon Ball Super
7. Curious George <- no idea what is this
8. Youkai Watch
9. Shaun the Sheep
10. Go! Go! Chuggington <- no idea what is this as well
Curious George is actually pretty baller.

casiopao

MHS not supported by CoroCoro is quite baffling.. I know it takes tons of money to team up with CoroCoro Monthly, but I can't quite remember any of recent kid friendly series or franchise that really "took off" without that support.
(Though it's worth noting that CoroCoro's support never guarantees the franchise's success
see Gundam Age
).

..or maybe, just maybe Capcom may want to set the precedent that companies can succeed in kids friendly franchise without being assisted by Shogakukan's iron grasp.

Lol. This is a news for me. I mean almost all company who launches new kid friendly IP always need CoroCoro and for them to miss that is quite telling on their confidence with the title lol.

hiska-kun

The Gravity Daze 2 delay is the best it could happen. I guess the reason retailers got upset is because ALL Sony games for got delayed so far.

Nintendo news tomorrow I guess.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The Gravity Daze 2 delay is the best it could happen. I guess the reason retailers got upset is because ALL Sony games for got delayed so far.

Yeah, I suppose so. I thought we would've had them earlier today (alongside the eShop weekly lineup / charts update on the website, similar to how Picross 3D 2 was announced), but tomorrow should be a fine guess.

L~A

Hmm... that makes sense, yeah. Because the game on its own wasn't really that big a deal for retailers.... unless the person was a big fan of the series, ha ha.

Media Create:

PS4 36,251
New3DS LL 13,701
2DS 10,595
Vita 9,357
New3DS 2,655
Wii U 2,111
PS3 907
3DS 406
Xbox One 121
3DS LL 67

Top Bottom