• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 38, 2016 (Sep 19 - Sep 25)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
You have a point lol

but few people will talk about that here :p

I'm curious to see if they actually do use it again on mobile (beyond the super cheapy tie-in match-3 title).

Capcom has four flagship mobile games for next fiscal year across the Monster Hunter, Sengoku Basara, and Mega Man IPs, so I'm thinking the one that's doubling up might be Monster Hunter with traditional and kid-friendly (Stories-based) entries.

Oregano

What an absurd comparison.

Well mainline DQ is much more popular than Monsters and I'm not sure how successful Hoshi No Dragon Quest was compared to Super Light(but both were noted successes) but it is essentially a F2P DQIX-2 from what I understand. Would that not mean it would significantly affect sales of DQXI?

I can simulate this if you like.

*flails around wildly pointing to how kid friendly brands Puzzle & Dragons, Monster Strike, and Rune Story do on phones*

That's a tougher comparison because it would usually entail an entirely different product. That might change in the near future though...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I feel the difference with Dragon Quest is that Dragon Quest XI is actually delivering a product in line with what people want out of the franchise, whereas Dragon Quest Monsters and Monster Hunter Stories are spin-offs into genres dominated by other games made by different companies.

Super Light probably does give people a pretty satisfactory experience for what they get out of Dragon Quest Montsers, but Dragon Quest of the Stars (which is insanely successful, yes) I feel is not a close enough replacement to what mainline Dragon Quest offers to tank sales.

To our knowledge, Dragon Quest XI also is not actually like Dragon Quest IX, so even if Dragon Quest of the Stars was viewed as the successor to that (which strikes me as a not unreasonable argument), DQXI is going back more toward the singleplayer traditional experience as differentiation (I could be misunderstanding what DQXI is, mind).

That's a tougher comparison because it would usually entail an entirely different product. That might change in the near future though...
It was meant to be a tongue in cheek comment, though I do think it's wise to consider the mobile audience when targeting children these days, the same way that Level-5 is expanding on to mobile in addition to Nintendo handhelds, sometimes with high effort spin-offs, sometimes with the same core product.

It can have a lot of reach among youth. One of the other moderators has a 5 year old nephew who actually first learned about Star Wars and Transformers through the Angry Birds spin-offs, which is why multimedia companies always make sure this kind of thing exists.

That said, I'm not sure Stories would work regardless. It's a singleplayer turn based RPG, so it's not going to appeal to the co-operative action game audience that Monster Hunter dominates. For its failings with children, that's a bit harder for me to parse since I've seen less of what they like, but I'm guessing that Capcom failed to get the product in front of actual children as early and often as possible during development and modify it to make sure that it actually appealed to them. There was a good episode of CEO Exchange where the head of Mattel explained that they had invested a lot in making a fire truck that you could drive around with a smart device, but when they tested it with young children, they all hated it, because they wanted to push the fire truck around themselves. Mattel ended up canning the product and just made a more fun fire truck that the kids used directly, and it did quite well. There's a lot of things you can guess about children "They love smart devices, and they love toy fire trucks, so let's put them together!", but nothing replaces actually just giving them something and seeing if they like it.

Hellraider

You mean that one trashy game developed by nobody cares Treasure? What about it?

You shouldn't be so mean to the dead. :(

You know, I'm trying really hard to be optimistic with MHS. For starters It looks amazing and it also looks like it has the budget of a complete game, unlike whatever the fuck Gaist Crusher was. It's just that I consider Capcom such a useless, incompetent and direction-less company that I expect everything to fail unless it miraculously doesn't. Not that this has managed to happen toanything besides mainline Monster Hunter these past half a dozen years...

Oregano

I feel the difference with Dragon Quest is that Dragon Quest XI is actually delivering a product in line with what people want out of the franchise, whereas Dragon Quest Monsters and Monster Hunter Stories are spin-offs into genres dominated by other games made by different companies.

Super Light probably does give people a pretty satisfactory experience for what they get out of Dragon Quest Montsers, but Dragon Quest of the Stars (which is insanely successful, yes) I feel is not a close enough replacement to what mainline Dragon Quest offers to tank sales.

To our knowledge, Dragon Quest XI also is not actually like Dragon Quest IX, so even if Dragon Quest of the Stars was viewed as the successor to that (which strikes me as a not unreasonable argument), DQXI is going back more toward the singleplayer traditional experience as differentiation (I could be misunderstanding what DQXI is, mind).

It was meant to be a tongue in cheek comment, though I do think it's wise to consider the mobile audience when targeting children these days, the same way that Level-5 is expanding on to mobile in addition to Nintendo handhelds, sometimes with high effort spin-offs, sometimes with the same core product.

It can have a lot of reach among youth. One of the other moderators has a 5 year old nephew who actually first learned about Star Wars and Transformers through the Angry Birds spin-offs, which is why multimedia companies always make sure this kind of thing exists.

True, there is obviously the story aspect that can't be overlooked with mainline Dragon Quest.

In regards to Level 5(and Square Enix) I'm interested in seeing how they approach pricing. SE said they wants to charge premium prices on mobile but I'm not sure if that actually means full retail price. My gut is telling me the Mobile versions will be significantly cheaper in which case I'm not sure the strategy will actually work.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't expect Square Enix's strategy to actually be successful in the short to medium term, at least on a meaningful scale, but I see it more as them hedging their bets in regards to developing markets and continually increasing headwinds in the dedicated handheld market.

For the sake of discussion, let's say the NX or the NX's successor fails. If they've done nothing to try and mitigate their exposure on handheld titles, suddenly they have a bunch of dead product lines, which is why I think we see their handheld titles increasingly show up on console, PC, digital distribution, and now mobile as well.

We can take Setsuna as an example here. On Steam, the game has sold about 28,000 copies without going on sale. That's not a very impressive number. However, we're still looking at 28,000 * $40 * 0.7 = $784,000. The game likely cost what, maybe $2 million to make? We can see how a lot of similar drops in the bucket would suddenly start to add up, and that's before we even start getting to discount pricing later on.

Ōkami

1. [PS4] FIFA 17 - 53
  2. [PS4] Persona 5 - 42
  3. [PS4] Dragon Quest Heroes II: The Twin Kings and the Prophecy's End - 32
  4. [PSV] Demon Gaze 2 - 22
  5. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Tempura - 21
  6. [3DS] Super Battle For Money Sentouchuu: Kyuukyoku no Shinobu to Battle Player Choujou Kessen! - 20
  7. [PS3] Persona 5 - 19
  8. [PS4] Dead Island: Definitive Collection - 18
  9. [WIU] Minecraft: Wii U Edition - 15
  10. [3DS] Dragon Ball: Fusions - 14
  11. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sushi - 13
  12. [PS4] Winning Eleven 2017 - 11
  13. [PS4] Star Wars: Battlefront - 11
  14. [PS3] Winning Eleven 2017 - 11
  15. [PS3] FIFA 17 - 11
  16. [PSV] PriministAr (Complete Limited Edition) - 10
  17. [PSV] PriministAr - 8
  18. [PSV] Utawarerumono: Futari no Hakuoro - 7
  19. [3DS] Kirby: Planet Robobot - 7
  20. [3DS] Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games - 7
Preorders

[3DS] Pokémon Sun / Moon - 1021
[PS4] Final Fantasy XV - 262
[3DS] Monster Hunter Stories - 86
[PS4] Yakuza 6 - 55
[PS4] Battlefield 1 - 40
[PS4] Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare - 23
[PSV] World of Final Fantasy - 21

Oregano

I don't expect Square Enix's strategy to actually be successful in the short to medium term, at least on a meaningful scale, but I see it more as them hedging their bets in regards to developing markets and continually increasing headwinds in the dedicated handheld market.

For the sake of discussion, let's say the NX or the NX's successor fails. If they've done nothing to try and mitigate their exposure on handheld titles, suddenly they have a bunch of dead product lines, which is why I think we see their handheld titles increasingly show up on console, PC, digital distribution, and now mobile as well.

Oh that definitely true. I just feel that the actual result will be that they put people off buying full price handheld games because they are sold for significantly cheaper on mobile but mobile doesn't really pick up the slack because the premium model is still unpopular. It's trying to put a Square (Enix) peg in a round hole.

I would point out that Square Enix has very few handheld product lines at this point anyway.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Oh that definitely true. I just feel that the actual result will be that they put people off buying full price handheld games because they are sold for significantly cheaper on mobile but mobile doesn't really pick up the slack because the premium model is still unpopular. It's trying to put a Square (Enix) peg in a round hole.

I would point out that Square Enix has very few handheld product lines at this point anyway.

I'm not actually expecting the games to come out on smartphones day and date, but I could be wrong. Using Setsuna as an example again, I feel pretty confident that is meant to be one of the games that's part of this initiative, but since they're still selling it for full price, they haven't announced the mobile version yet.

Mind, games that are built to only cost $10 to $30 up front might actually launch simultaneously, like what they did with Mana.

Oregano

I'm not actually expecting the games to come out on smartphones day and date, but I could be wrong. Using Setsuna as an example again, I feel pretty confident that is meant to be one of the games that's part of this initiative, but since they're still selling it for full price, they haven't announced the mobile version yet.

Mind, games that are built to only cost $20 or $30 up front might actually launch simultaneously, like what they did with Mana.

That's definitely a possibility. They already did/do that with Dragon Quest VII(and DS games before that).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Since we're on the topic, World of Final Fantasy strikes me as a dumb product because it looks like a children's game, but the selling points seem to be Final Fantasy brand reverence and nostalgia.

"Oh man, I can pre-order and get Sephiroth!!!" said no 2016 twelve year old ever.

Vena

YSO predictions

01. [3DS] Monster Hunter Stories < 85k (average 75k)
02. [PS4] BlazBlue: Central Fiction < 30k (average 25k)
03. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sushi / Tempura < 20k

Hot damn that's low.

Since we're on the topic, World of Final Fantasy strikes me as a dumb product because it looks like a children's game, but the selling points seem to be Final Fantasy brand reverence and nostalgia.

I think I said this exact thing a few months ago. Perhaps even almost verbatim.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

"Oh man, I can pre-order and get Sephiroth!!!" said no 2016 twelve year old ever.

I think its going to bomb hard.

Oregano

But kids have been playing all those hit FF games in recent years like ummm... Brave Exvius?

The franchise has been a dumpster fire in terms of relevant releases

At this point XV will be more succesful between children :V

Aters

It is a Pokemon-lit game with chibi art style though. Sephiroth is just bonus. However, I find it hilarious that SE want to attract more fans by releasing the game on PSV and PS4, as if kids play those things. WoFF was doomed when it was announced. Maybe the west can help them recoup the cost, but the mission of attracting new fans will certainly fail.

MHS Amazon

It's on the rise after the demo. Of course, the release date is approaching too.

I think MHS will surprise us after it's released. It's not the game that people run to pre-order (kids sure won't, and the fanbase will jump in after impressions hit the internet).

Ryng_tolu

Banned
MHS Amazon

It's on the rise after the demo. Of course, the release date is approaching too.

I think MHS will surprise us after it's released. It's not the game that people run to pre-order (kids sure won't, and the fanbase will jump in after impressions hit the internet).

It bombed Sammy. let it go.

Shizuka

Do you guys think that the japanese performance for Monster Hunter Stories will have any impact on the localization chances?

casiopao

So DQM Joker 3 bombs, Youkai Watch 3 bombs, Monster Hunter Stories bombs, World of FF probably bombs.

Pokémon stays winning?

The fact that u forget appmon is kinda telling lol.

Poke is going to stay as the king then..... Goodbye my prediction lol.

Mobile had so much new IP coming out that it makes all these 3ds bomb looks like a joke lol.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It is a Pokemon-lit game with chibi art style though. Sephiroth is just bonus. However, I find it hilarious that SE want to attract more fans by releasing the game on PSV and PS4, as if kids play those things. WoFF was doomed when it was announced. Maybe the west can help them recoup the cost, but the mission of attracting new fans will certainly fail.

Okay, so I watched two English demos of the game (E3 and a PAX West one that was also a developer interview), and then looked at all the Gematsu updates on the title, since they covered all the weekly (or more frequent) marketing updates.

Here's what I noticed:
- Mechanically, this seems to work like a standard ATB based Final Fantasy game with a couple of alterations. You can catch monsters, which you insert into your "stack", which essentially serves as a battle deck of skills. This means if you have a Bomb on your head for example, your character will be able to cast a couple of fire spells in addition to whatever else you do. I think you can have two monsters in your stack at most.
- The creatures you catch level up by something resembling a three lane version of the sphere grid.
- There's also a major summon mode where both of your main characters (who similarly have an ability load out) can stand on top of one shared giant creature.
- Finally, there's some kind of super attacks you can do where you summon a classic Final Fantasy character who performs a 15+ second long attack animation as a super, which generally has a bunch of call backs to things they did that were popular in their games.
- I list these all separately since most of these mechanics seem to be thrown at you very quickly all at once in the game, at least based on a demo that looked like it was very close to the beginning of the game.
- The world area plays out something like Final Fantasy X where you're mostly walking along narrow paths, but there's some switches, light puzzle elements, and treasure chests thrown around.
- For the game's promotional videos, there were a few trailers that overwhelmingly focused on the game's story and presentation as opposed to the actual gameplay.
- For the weekly updates, about 10 of them focused on the classic Final Fantasy characters you could use as super attacks in the game, whereas 2 of them focused on the various monsters you could collect. This even happened with updates in Jump, where they'd bring out a character like Cloud or Snow and the entire advertorial page would focus on them being added to the game.
- The only mention of toys related to this game are a set of six figurines releasing in January. Five of them cost $40 each, while there's an extra expensive one that costs $60.
- There doesn't seem to be any anime or manga tied into the game's launch, outside of some kind of short anime promotional video.
- So far, the only mention of multiplayer appears to be some kind of one line sentence about how the game will have player battling and trading, though it is noted that the multiplayer will be added in a day one update to the PS4.
- This is more of an oddity, but the game won't launch with voice acting on Vita, and instead you have to download it separately as DLC. Square Enix said this was done to save on cartridge costs.

I don't know. This game strikes me as a product that expects you to jump into a fairly complicated combat and leveling setup immediately (yet one that'd be familiar to long term Final Fantasy fans), seems to think its audience values characters from games released 15-25 years ago more than anything else, feels there's very little interest in the actual types of monsters you're catching, focuses heavily on marketing the plot over the gameplay, and sees things like the multiplayer component as a complete afterthought.

This strikes me as a product made by a team who really wanted to make a normal Final Fantasy game, but figured out the best way to get that greenlit was to make the game ostensibly targeted at children, and then proceed to build the game they felt like making. The only things that makes this stick out as a game for younger children is that the main characters are a few years younger than normal, it bares a passing resemblance to Pokemon, and it features chibi art (but not always chibi art). While people will frequently point out the platform they're releasing on, it strikes me as entirely appropriate for what the development team actually wanted to do.

This is what director Hiroki Chiba said about the project's origin/concepts:

Chiba: So with World of Final Fantasy, the Final Fantasy series is celebrating it&#8217;s 30 year anniversary. Our players have grown up with the series and our playerbase has become very mature. We&#8217;ve realized that today not very many children or the younger audience take Final Fantasy in their hands and play the games. It&#8217;s quite an unfortunate situation so the executive producer for Final Fantasy (Shinji Hashimoto) was a little bit concerned and approached me asking &#8220;What can we do to introduce the goodness of Final Fantasy to our younger audience and have them play and enjoy what we can offer in the franchise?&#8221;. That was the original concept of this project. After that we worked with the art-designer, Yasuhisa Izumisawa, who has worked on previous titles such as Crystal Chronicles&#8211;and had him create chibi (two-head length) characters. We showed those images to Mr. Hashimoto and Tetsuya Nomura as well, and then we came to the conclusion that we can use this to potentially create a new Final Fantasy IP that would appeal to a brand new audience.

While I think it's always good to get new fans for your series, I also have this feeling the team tried to make a more traditional FF game, full of nostalgia/fan-service and with a Pokémon spin of sorts, instead of a FF for children. In the end it should appeal to a lot of folks who are looking to a new turn-based Final Fantasy (it also looks good and got some potential), but hey... they're already longtime fans. So you are just selling a game for the same fanbase when it's all said and done.

For me their original plan was indeed to release XV first (and we know what happened) and if that game succeeded then maybe some new fans (children or not) would start looking forward to try the more "classical" FF too.

Oh, btw, there is some multiplayer footage on youtube (from a recent stream). But yeah, it was never a big focus.

horuhe

Rakuten Books Sales Ranking Week 39, 2016 (Sep 26 - Oct 02)

01./00. [PS4] FIFA 17 <SPT> (Electronic Arts)
02./01. [PS4] Persona 5 <RPG> (Atlus)
03./00. [PS3] FIFA 17 <SPT> (Electronic Arts)
04./02. [PS4] Persona 5 (20th Anniversary Edition) <RPG> (Atlus)
05./00. [PSV] Demon Gaze 2 <RPG> (Kadokawa Games)
06./00. [PS4] FIFA 17 (Deluxe Edition) <SPT> (Electronic Arts)
07./07. [WiiU] Minecraft: Wii U Edition <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios)
08./08. [PS4] Winning Eleven 2017 <SPT> (Konami)
09./09. [3DS] Dragon Ball: Fusions <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games)
10./00. [PS4] Dead Island: Definitive Collection <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft)
11./03. [PSV] Utawarerumono: Futari no Hakuoro <SLG> (Aqua Plus)
12./10. [3DS] Kirby: Planet Robobot <ACT> (Nintendo)
13./05. [PS4] Utawarerumono: Futari no Hakuoro <SLG> (Aqua Plus)
14./04. [PSV] Utawarerumono: Futari no Hakuoro (Premium Edition) <SLG> (Aqua Plus)
15./12. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sushi <RPG> (Level 5)
16./15. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Tempura <RPG> (Level 5)
17./17. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf [Nintendo Selects] <ETC> (Nintendo)
18./06. [PS4] Utawarerumono: Futari no Hakuoro (Premium Edition) <SLG> (Aqua Plus)
19./18. [PS3] Winning Eleven 2017 <SPT> (Konami)
20./14. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive)

Rakuten Books Pre-Orders Ranking Week 39, 2016 (Sep 26 - Oct 02)

01./02. [3DS] Pokémon Sun / Moon (Double Pack) <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
02./00. [PSV] New Danganronpa V3: Everyone’s New Semester of Killing (Limited Box) <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft)
03./00. [PS4] New Danganronpa V3: Everyone’s New Semester of Killing (Limited Box) <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft)
04./05. [3DS] Pokémon Sun <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
05./06. [PS4] Final Fantasy XV <RPG> (Square Enix)
06./04. [3DS] Pokémon Moon <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
07./08. [PS4] World of Final Fantasy <RPG> (Square Enix)
08./10. [PSV] World of Final Fantasy <RPG> (Square Enix)
09./14. [3DS] Monster Hunter: Stories <RPG> (Capcom)
10./12. [PSV] Macross Delta Scramble: Sound Edition <STG> (Bandai Namco Games)

Rakuten Books Sales Ranking Week 38, 2016 (Sep 19 - Sep 25)

* Note: Games on the Rakuten Books Rankings are only based on sales at Rakuten Books and does not count games sold by other retailers at Rakuten.
** Note 2: Games on the Pre-Orders Ranking are counted as net sales, so it might possibly affect the games listed on the Sales Ranking.

^ Square Enix does not need Japan for FF. Unlike Dragon Quest, FF is actually popular in the west. They'll get most the of sales outside Japan.

Home consoles are dead in Japan, Anyway.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
^ Square Enix does not need Japan for FF. Unlike Dragon Quest, FF is actually popular in the west. They'll get most the of sales outside Japan.

I wouldn't be surprised if Western pre-orders were down from XIII as well.

That only matters if it...doesn't decline everywhere else too.

Edit: also remember that FFXV preorder comparison is living on borrowed time from the delay, it probably will look even worse later

Oregano

Even if XV matches XIII in the west losing a million Japanese consumers will be a big blow. That's still a sixth of their audience.

duckroll

Even if XV matches XIII in the west losing a million Japanese consumers will be a big blow. That's still a sixth of their audience.

A million seems a bit of a stretch. XIII didn't sell that much! Losing 500-600k is likely though. But that seems like the normal dropoff for every generational shift FF has experienced. Declincing franchise for real.

Oregano

A million seems a bit of a stretch. XIII didn't sell that much! Losing 500-600k is likely though.

True, a million would be worst case scenario. I think it might sell under a million first week though, which would still be a blow to Square Enix.

duckroll

True, a million would be worst case scenario. I think it might sell under a million first week though, which would still be a blow to Square Enix.

FFXIII failed to sell 2 million LTD. There is no market evidence whatsoever that FFXV will be able to sell even that. I think S-E has resigned themselves to that fate. Could it sell less than a million in the first week? Maybe. Could it ship less than a million in the first week? I don't think so. Come hell or high water S-E will forcefully ship over a million at launch even if they end up never shipping another copy again in Japan. And that's the press release they will put out. Probably the last one we see ever about Japanese sales of a numbered FF game. :p

BriBri

Somebody cancelled their Pokémon Sun Moon Double Pack reservation. Isn't that call for a NeoGAF BOMBA alert?

Aters

Also don't forget the X360 version of FFXIII sold like 100-200k in Japan while XONE version of FFXV will probably sell two dozens.

FFXIII-2 had really strong leg (for a JRPG), If FFXV manages to enjoy the same "Oh it's actually not that bad" effect, I can see it do 1.3-1.5 million in Japan LTD, which isn't that bad all things considered.

mao2

Also don't forget the X360 version of FFXIII sold like 100-200k in Japan while XONE version of FFXV will probably sell two dozens.

FFXIII-2 had really strong leg (for a JRPG), If FFXV manages to enjoy the same "Oh it's actually not that bad" effect, I can see it do 1.3-1.5 million in Japan LTD, which isn't that bad all things considered.
360 version of FFXIII managed to sell 100~200K total in Japan? According to geimin.net, it only did 12K on its first week.

duckroll

??????????????????????????????

None of this seems to be true? There was no original 360 release of FFXIII at all in Japan. There was a budget International version released a year later. It sold 29k by the end of 2011. Lol.

FFXIII-2 didn't have particularly interesting legs either. It opened at 524k, sold 841k LTD. Type-0 opened at 472k, sold 777k LTD. Crisis Core opened at 486k, sold 784k LTD. Seems on par.

Mory Dunz

Wow. Why did FF13 do so poorly on 360.

Stuff like Tales of Vesperia, Infinite Undiscover, Star Ocean, Blue Dragon all sold over 100k and 200k...

duckroll

Wow. Why did FF13 do so poorly on 360.

Stuff like Tales of Vesperia, Infinite Undiscover, Star Ocean, Blue Dragon all sold over 100k and 200k...

Erm. It was a PS3 exclusive in Japan. The only 360 release for XIII in Japan was a budget International version with English voice a whole year after XIII was out. I just explained! By December 2010 I don't think anyone in Japan really played on the 360 anymore. :p

Mory Dunz

Erm. It was a PS3 exclusive in Japan. The only 360 release for XIII in Japan was a budget International version with English voice a whole year after XIII was out. I just explained! By December 2010 I don't think anyone in Japan really played on the 360 anymore. :p

I guess I should've said, "why was it initially exclusive if those other games did....decently"

Top Bottom