• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 38, 2016 (Sep 19 - Sep 25)

Zolo

I think part of FFXV's problems is that it's shackled to what Versus XIII was. They can't even change the main designs because of the deal with Roen.

Really?

With FFXV, it feels like there's a struggle to try and appeal to both the west and Japan. You have the future timeskip design for Noctis that looks completely different from his regular design that the game starts with as if to say 'Hey! This guy will look badass at some point!'. Personally, I expect after FFXV likely sells below expectations, for the next game to take more inspiration from Game of Thrones for its designs and story.

Obviously, there's the open-world aspect which is currently what's popular, but it doesn't seem to do anything more than what other rpgs have been doing and actually seems like it may fall into the traps that have been criticized about open world rpgs recently. The biggest draw to me so far has been seeing the monster designs as well as how some of the spells work.

Oregano

Really?

With FFXV, it feels like there's a struggle to try and appeal to both the west and Japan. You have the future timeskip design for Noctis that looks completely different from his regular design that the game starts with as if to say 'Hey! This guy will look badass at some point!'. Personally, I expect after FFXV likely sells below expectations, for the next game to take more inspiration from Game of Thrones for its designs and story.

Obviously, there's the open-world aspect which is currently what's popular, but it doesn't seem to do anything more than what other rpgs have been doing and actually seems like it may fall into the traps that have been criticized about open world rpgs recently. The biggest draw to me so far has been seeing the monster designs as well as how some of the spells work.

Apparently so, FWIW I read it on here so it might not actually be true. But yeah the future Noctis design is way out of whack with his normal design.

Vena

Unlike with mainline MH, Nintendo doesn't inherently have anything to gain from Stories. I doubt they would help out without something else entering the equation (Capcom being like LOL WE'RE TAKING MH5 TO TRINITY IF YOU DON'T)

Well there are Monster Hunter Stories Amiibos...

And seemingly quite popular too, but I think they're selling to different people than those who'd potentially be buying Stories (or are intended to be buying Stories, anyway). A regular MH fan could buy a Rathalos and never touch the game.

Sterok

I think what Nirolak is saying is that unless you're part of a really popular genre (open world or multiplayer shooter) you need to be the king of the genre in order to get high sales. Cinematic linear shooter? Hope you're Uncharted. 2D platformer? Mario still does great, but everything else is okay at best. Stealth? You need the guiding hand of Kojima. Fighting? Smash and Mortal Kombat plow over the competition. Sports? Better have one of the big licenses. Racing? There's Mario Kart and uh...

This seems to hold true for Japan as well. Monster collecting? Yokai Watch made a good challenge, but Pokemon remains king, and the others are withering. Classic JRPGs? Dragon Quest is still strong, but the ceiling for everyone else seems to keep on lowering. Strategy RPGs? I don't think anything has reaped the benefits from Fire Emblem. Hunting? Nobody knows how to compete with Monster Hunter. Simulation-esque? How many games have successfully followed in Animal Crossing's footsteps?

Where Japan has an issue is that there's no real safe genre like what open worlds and multiplayer shooters are in the west. Not that those are guaranteed successes, but stuff like Dying Light and Rainbow Six show that it's easier to carve out a big successful niche from those genres. I'm not sure what's considered big sales for Japan these days, but the feast or famine mindset seems even harsher there.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I make toys for children and I can confirm that kids are an unpredictable market
WoM still is the strongest promotion
Where the anime will be on air?

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Honestly, though I feel we've already talked about this but FFXV is going to be a wake-up call for SE management. It's going to be less successful than FXIII critically & commercially, and most likely sell 4 million on consoles ww (800k in Japan), and add another mil once it appears on PC.

And the release date in the West certainly doesn't help either - it's going to be a disappointment.

Honestly, though I feel we've already talked about this but FFXV is going to be a wake-up call for SE management. It's going to be less successful than FXIII critically & commercially, and most likely sell 4 million on consoles ww (800k in Japan), and add another mil once it appears on PC.

And the release date in the West certainly doesn't help either - it's going to be a disappointment.

I like it how people are so absolutely sure that even critically it's going to be less successful than XIII.

I doubt it'll sell one million on PC, unless the game gets a great word of mouth, because of the late release. I'm not sure FFXV will be a wake up call. More like in term of management, it already was. They know it was a hard project to finish and I think they already know how to improve.

I like it how people are so absolutely sure that even critically it's going to be less successful than XIII.
Well, I think FF13's metacritic score is 83, so it will be close (but really, an 85 or something isn't going to matter).

Also 800k in Japan seems a bit too low, it should cross a million with digital eventually.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Also don't forget the X360 version of FFXIII sold like 100-200k in Japan while XONE version of FFXV will probably sell two dozens.

FFXIII-2 had really strong leg (for a JRPG), If FFXV manages to enjoy the same "Oh it's actually not that bad" effect, I can see it do 1.3-1.5 million in Japan LTD, which isn't that bad all things considered.

Yes! How could we ever forget that?!
/s

Also, even putting aside the fact that XIII was PS3-exclusive in Japan and the game only came a year later on 360 with the INT release which sold akin to TW101's numbers, you really can't post here that a release "sold like 100-200k": you know that one wouldn't be at all like the other?

Well, I think FF13's metacritic score is 83, so it will be close (but really, an 85 or something isn't going to matter).

Also 800k in Japan seems a bit too low, it should cross a million with digital eventually.

Didn't remember that XIII had that high score. I guess XIIIs score was inflated by the status Final Fantasy still had back in 2010 (reviewers overall also gave 8s and 9s last gen like candy to AAA games). By modern review standards XV very well might be better game even if it scored slightly under 80s. Personally I believe it will score around the same as XIII.

barybll

Banned

Is it?

The total collapse of software sales in japan makes me think that 800k sounds spot on to be honest.

A million ltd at best

I want to be wrong tho.
The situation is grim

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Also don't forget the X360 version of FFXIII sold like 100-200k in Japan while XONE version of FFXV will probably sell two dozens.

FFXIII-2 had really strong leg (for a JRPG), If FFXV manages to enjoy the same "Oh it's actually not that bad" effect, I can see it do 1.3-1.5 million in Japan LTD, which isn't that bad all things considered.

What.

FF XIII 2 sold over 500k first week and less than 800k lifetime. Those are horrible legs, no matter what, nowgere Close to "not that bad".

Eolz

Wow, media create threads have been moving fast those past weeks. With big, interesting posts most of the time too...

Kanann

With FFXV case, who believes in **miracle** here? like, umm Splatoon hit? without squid legs but high sell breaking expectation.

*Extensive post*
*moderate sized post*

Thanks for both of these.

Taking all of that into consideration, it isn't a surprise Ubisoft has 3-4(?) spots of the top 5 new IP slots. They know what people want and they have the resources to get it done. Square Enix (and Japan in general) just don't seem to "get it". Which is unfortunate because Japan produces a great deal of the sort of games I like to play.

hiska-kun

GamesMaya has a retailer meeting with Sony today, about games that are releasing this holiday season (December).
And tomorrow she has another one with Nintendo. She is wondering what is going to be announced...

GamesMaya said:
明日は12月発売を中心とした「SIEさんの商談会」に
行ってきます。

なのでお店はお休みです。

明後日は午前中に任天堂さんの商談会に
行ってきます。
久しぶりの任天堂商談会、何が発表されるのでしょうか?

casiopao

GamesMaya has a retailer meeting with Sony today, about games that are releasing this holiday season (December).
And tomorrow she has another one with Nintendo. She is wondering what is going to be announced...

NX is coming baby.^_^

Why won't NX dominate Japan is coming soon lol.^_^

I thought Talent is the one who is supposed to win?^_^

It had chance doing really well lol........ should i bet that it will reach 1 mill here.O_O(I am afraid of botching myself lol.T_T)

There's more on the line IMO than just numbers alone for Momotaro; should it be a huge success, Konami might be willing to license more of Hudson's IPs to Nintendo in the near future. I doubt they'd be as up to it if the game underperformed.

casiopao

There's more on the line IMO than just numbers alone for Momotaro; should it be a huge success, Konami might be willing to license more of Hudson's IPs to Nintendo in the near future. I doubt they'd be as up to it if the game underperformed.

.....so u mean, there is chance for BOMBERMAN????

.....sadly that is the only title i can see do quite well which mean sayonara, Bonk, Adventure Island, Bloody Roar, Nectaris(Staying dead together with Advance War.T_T)

Can we at least get Far East of Eden?T_T

.....so u mean, there is chance for BOMBERMAN????

.....sadly that is the only title i can see do quite well which mean sayonara, Bonk, Adventure Island, Bloody Roar, Nectaris(Staying dead together with Advance War.T_T)

Can we at least get Far East of Eden?T_T

I would think Far East of Eden could do well in Japan if done right (with Bomberman of course worldwide). RED is a key company in FEoE and they're still around and work with Nintendo on Fire Emblem these days IIRC (at least Awakening) and Fossil Fighters also I believe.

casiopao

I would think Far East of Edan could do well in Japan if done right (with Bomberman of course worldwide). RED is a key company in FEoE and they're still around and work with Nintendo on Fire Emblem these days IIRC (at least Awakening) and Fossil Fighters also I believe.

Far East of Edan makes Rolf lol. as in my country language, it means Far East Idiot lol.^_^

On Bomberman i had the believe that it will be able to do moderately well on WW as many still had fond memories of Bomberman.^_^(Where is the devs anyway now?O_O)

And FEOE surely can do well in Japan, if RED able to provide more effort for the game.(Whats the sales number of FEoE in Japan anyway? Does it reach 500k?) I do remember that 3DS fossil fighter underperformed here.T_T

Far East of Edan makes Rolf lol. as in my country language, it means Far East Idiot lol.^_^

Wwwwwhoops! *fixes* Sorry!

And a big chunk of Hudson is now at ND Cube, currently on Mario Party: Star Rush. :)

I would highly imagine they're at least helping out on Momotaro 2017.

casiopao

A new proper bomberman for 3ds would excite me more than a nx reveal!

I thought we all are still waiting for that Bomberman for 3ds teaser?^~^

Wwwwwhoops! *fixes* Sorry!

And a big chunk of Hudson is now at ND Cube, currently on Mario Party: Star Rush. :)

I would highly imagine they're at least helping out on Momotaro 2017.

Considering how lovely Star Rush is looking, hoped that Momotaro 2017 will also had all those love.^~^ (no chance for localization though.TT)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I don't remember exactly, how much time it takes between a retailer meeting and the public announcement of anything, in this cases?

Honestly, on Nintendo side, I'm expecting more details and releases for both Momotaro and Miitopia (don't tell me you already forgot about it!).

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I don't remember exactly, how much time it takes between a retailer meeting and the public announcement of anything, in this cases?

Honestly, on Nintendo side, I'm expecting more details and releases for both Momotaro and Miitopia (don't tell me you already forgot about it!).

expect nothing!

casiopao

Lol. i really forgot about Miitopia here.(U no believe on NX news here?^_^)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Lol. i really forgot about Miitopia here.(U no believe on NX news here?^_^)

At this point, I don't really know. It would be great, but I'm trying to be realistic here. And we still don't know what was that European retailers meeting about either.

One day, we'll see the NX, I'm sure...one day :(

casiopao

At this point, I don't really know. It would be great, but I'm trying to be realistic here. And we still don't know what was that European retailers meeting about either.

One day, we'll see the NX, I'm sure...one day :(

NX is going the answer of all, the bane of the world and source of all Evil.^_^

duckroll

And FEOE surely can do well in Japan, if RED able to provide more effort for the game.(Whats the sales number of FEoE in Japan anyway? Does it reach 500k?) I do remember that 3DS fossil fighter underperformed here.T_T

It doesn't really sell that much.

Tengai Makyou 4th Apocalypse on Saturn only sold 234k in 1997.

This was the year where Soul Hackers on Saturn could sell 258k, Breath of Fire 3 on PS1 could sell 425k, Monster Rancher PS1 could sell 496k, Front Mission 2 could sell 496k, and Tales of Destiny could sell 829k.

The Tengai Makyou 2 remake sold 162k on PS2 and 32k on GC. Tengai Makyou 3 on PS2 sold 144k.

There's no real reason to believe that the series will be anything more than a ~100k or sub-100k series if released today, regardless of effort.

hiska-kun

Most of the times the same day, or the following day at the latest. Usually on these meetings, retailers receive advertising stuff, like posters, trailers to be projected on the stores TVs and others. So, the public announcement happens short after.

Yeah, Momotaro and Miitopia are the two games set for this year without a release date yet. So, I guess this is the day.

casiopao

It doesn't really sell that much.

Tengai Makyou 4th Apocalypse on Saturn only sold 234k in 1997.

This was the year where Soul Hackers on Saturn could sell 258k, Breath of Fire 3 on PS1 could sell 425k, Monster Rancher PS1 could sell 496k, Front Mission 2 could sell 496k, and Tales of Destiny could sell 829k.

The Tengai Makyou 2 remake sold 162k on PS2 and 32k on GC. Tengai Makyou 3 on PS2 sold 144k.

There's no real reason to believe that the series will be anything more than a ~100k or sub-100k series if released today, regardless of effort.

Ahhh. I guess i remember wrongly.T_T I remember Hudson had one rpg title which sold more vs this one here.(Around 500k but i can't remember the title)

Guess, only Bombaman and Momotaro Station is viable. T_T

hiska-kun

The blogger guy doesn't look happy. It seems something got delayed? It might be related with today's Sony retailer meeting.

zeromcd73

The blogger guy doesn't look happy. It seems something got delayed? It might be related with today's Sony retailer meeting.
If that's true and it involves Sony's retail meeting in regards to the holidays, either Yakuza 6, Gravity Rush 2, The Last Guardian or FFXV got delayed. TLG isn't happening since Sony already has big advertisements up around NY, and FFXV won't be delayed again, so GR2 or maybe Y6?

Oregano

If that's true and it involves Sony's retail meeting in regards to the holidays, either Yakuza 6, Gravity Rush 2, The Last Guardian or FFXV got delayed. TLG isn't happening since Sony already has big advertisements up around NY, and FFXV won't be delayed again, so GR2 or maybe Y6?

Couldn't it be the PS4 Pro shipments for Japan?

Hellraider

Why will FFXV not be delayed again? Does the game look that polished to you? :p

casiopao

NX officially delayed!
(half joking)

NX confirmed new Sony handheld lol.^_^

500K is supposedly what Tengai Makyou 2 sold on PC Engine (shipment I believe).

Xie xie Celine.^_^ u are always a savior.^_^

......is there anything from Sony which can cause retailer to be unhappy right now? Especially after all the delay they keep giving them lol.

L~A

Nintendo is most definitely going to be (at least) the two games you mentioned, but I'm also expecting new colours for the N3DS XL.

Not quite sold on the infamous price cut, though that'd be the perfect opportunity to discontinue the OG 3DS.

About the rumoured delayed game, it's most definitely a big game. I don't see why the retailer person would be annoyed for GR2 delay since the original game sold 100k LTD on PSV (incl. budget re-release).

So either FFXV (at this point, what's a couple more months?) or Yakuza 6 (strategic delay to February/March?). Assuming it's something on PS4 to begin with.

Top Bottom