• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 39, 2016 (Sep 26 - Oct 02)

casiopao

I honestly have trouble believing Miitopia is a 2016 title.

On the other hand, Momotaro Dentetsu 2017 did look like it was pretty much completed when they showed it (and given the usual deadlines for retail titles, it most likely was). Wouldn't be surprised if they didn't show anything until next month, to be honest (still think we should hear something this month, though).

I don't think Ninty had the luxury of having totally 0 game on December though. I am sure Miitopia is going to be their big games for holiday there together with Pokemon.^_^

BriBri

I don't think Ninty had the luxury of having totally 0 game on December though. I am sure Miitopia is going to be their big games for holiday there together with Pokemon.^_^
Don't count Animal Crossing: New Leaf out from selling another six figures in November/December.

And of-course there's Super Mario Maker.

L~A

What's the point of announce a game in September, with a release window by the end of the year, and then not be able to meet the release date? It's not that the game was announced in June, and due to technical issues it was delayed. By September the game should be on its final stage, and it's easier to predict when will be ready. Missing this it makes not much sense to me. If they weren't sure if it could be ready, they could've said, releasing soon, or winter or early 2017...

Well, I could ask this: What's the point of announcing a game in September, with a release window by the end of the year, but not show anything at all (not even a teaser picture) for at least a month after the announcement? You could say "to build hype", but I'm sure most people who aren't reading this thread have forgotten about it (stats from: my behind (C) 2016, All rights reserved).

It's not unusual for Nintendo to not show much of its games (even the biggest ones) until "close" to release, but nothing at all for a game launching within the next three months? Especially at retail.

Maybe I'm just overthinking things (most likely), but until we get to see what the game even looks like, I'm not putting my money on a 2016 release.

By the way, Dai Gyakuten Saiban getting budget re-release on December 8th. Not formally announced yet, though, but most likely announcement will come this week.

duckroll

What's the point of announce a game in September, with a release window by the end of the year, and then not be able to meet the release date? It's not that the game was announced in June, and due to technical issues it was delayed. By September the game should be on its final stage, and it's easier to predict when will be ready. Missing this it makes not much sense to me. If they weren't sure if it could be ready, they could've said, releasing soon, or winter or early 2017...

Fact remains, they are out of time. If there is no release date announced by the end of this month, it is not coming out in 2016. You need a lead time for shipment orders.

Oregano

Nintendo's just waiting for the perfect chance to announce a new Nintendo Direct
and still not talk about NX.

L~A

Nintendo's just waiting for the perfect chance to announce a new Nintendo Direct
and still not talk about NX.

The "Some people just want to see the world burn" in me wants exactly that to happen, for the meltdowns :p

One thing's for sure about Miitopia is that it's definitely not a 2016 title in the west, since it wasn't even mentioned in the EU and NA Directs.

Oregano

The "Some people just want to see the world burn" in me wants exactly that to happen, for the meltdowns :p

One thing's for sure about Miitopia is that it's definitely not a 2016 title in the west, since it wasn't even mentioned in the EU and NA Directs.

Did they actually even say it would launch at retail this year in Japan?

Could it be a DD(-only) game?

Regiruler

Bad WoM from sticker star seems like it will hurt color splash badly even though most concede it's a better game: sticker star quickly sold a ton but tanked a lot of good will.

Oregano

Bad WoM from sticker star seems like it will hurt color splash badly even though most concede it's a better game: sticker star quickly sold a ton but tanked a lot of good will.

I think being a Wii U game will hurt it more. I'm actually not even sure Sticker Star was badly received by the wider audience.

casiopao

I dont think the mass audience of SS had such bad perception for the game though? It surely will hurt by the simple fact of being Wii u game lol

L~A

Did they actually even say it would launch at retail this year in Japan?

Could it be a DD(-only) game?

Nintendo Direct made it clear it would be a retail title. I went and checked the last time I discussed that bit with hiska-kun, since I was sure they had said digital.

https://youtu.be/QHG8fWiWJaw?list=PLPh3p_yYrx0CDl8RdCiCIcmDzTpmQN_lY&t=2504

I don't really think there was much negative word of mouth for Sticker Star in Japan, where it is the best-selling entry.

3DS Paper Mario: Sticker Star - 130.009 / 564.823
WII Super Paper Mario - 156.055 / 506.298
N64 Paper Mario - 118.322 / 425.609
NGC Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - 137.750 / 409.600

Source: Famitsu / Game Data Library

Also, the game had some pretty great legs (I even remember people moaning about it here because they didn't like SS), so it's not like the game had a much better opening and then fell off a cliff. In fact, it was the third best debut... in a series with 4 games in total (well, 5 now).

If PM doesn't sell well, it's most likely due almost exclusively to the Wii U itself. I doubt SS will have much of an impact.

Mory Dunz

If PM doesn't sell well, it's most likely due almost exclusively to the Wii U itself. I doubt SS will have much of an impact.

PM64 and TTYD both did pretty well on a smaller userbase. 4 and 5 million. With PM64 even coming at the end of the N64's life.

I dunno how hard those games were pushed, but until now it's been a pretty dang consistent franchise regardless of install base. And it's not like the Wii U can't have successful 1st party games.

is the pm well poisoned? I don't think so, but I do think the hardcore isn't thrilled overall. Not sure about the hardcore in japan, but it's a fact that all Mario RPGs have been on a downward trend in Japan

Lololol. It is like u don't care that this is a sales thread lol. If u want to complain about Color Splash, there are many other thread out there bruh.

Did you take the Super Paper Mario comment as sarcasm? I actually liked that game.

(and besides, do you even know Japanese reviewers aside from Famitsu? I don't, so why even interject to my original point, which was about reviews)

Celine

It's not about the total installbase, it's the active userbase that counts.
How many retail releases did WiiU receive this year?
WiiU situation is far worse than what GC was in 2004.

Mory Dunz

It's not about the total installbase, it's the active userbase that counts.
How many retail releases did WiiU receive this year?
WiiU situation is far worse than what GC was in 2004.

I don't know. But the notable ones have been Zelda TP, Mario & Sonic, Star Fox (ish), Pokken, Minecraft physically.
I guess PM will beat out Star Fox...? Maybe TPHD

Orgen

There's no way to tell this one way or another, but it certainly got much worse reviews at least.

It got better reviews than Sticker Star ?_? And if you're refering to Super Paper Mario (85 metacritic) and Color Splash (78 metacritic) then you need to check your scale for "much worse". Because if we're going to play this game then Super Paper Mario got much worse reviews than Paper Mario for N64 ;D

Mory Dunz

It got better reviews than Sticker Star ?_? And if you're refering to Super Paper Mario (85 metacritic) and Color Splash (78 metacritic) then you need to check your scale for "much worse". Because if we're going to play this game then Super Paper Mario got much worse reviews than Paper Mario for N64 ;D

well if that game is being played, SPM's overall reception is in fact worse than what PM64 got....so...not sure what you're saying.

I'm jumping in randomly so I don't know what the discussion's really about lol

I'm talking about Sticker Star's reviews (or just Metacritic score cause this needs to be specified apparently) vs the 3 games before it.

(And yeah I don't get PM64's score either but whatever)

casiopao

Did you take the Super Paper Mario comment as sarcasm? I actually liked that game.

(and besides, do you even know Japanese reviewers aside from Famitsu? I don't, so why even interject to my original point, which was about reviews)

I am talking on the sales vs the poison well problem.

As with how SS had legs in Japan, it simply means the JP fans dont had that much problem vs the West as we had seen game which had bad WoM usually had zero legs.

Orgen

I'm talking about Sticker Star's reviews (or just Metacritic score cause this needs to be specified apparently) vs the 3 games before it.

(And yeah I don't get PM64's score either but whatever)

Even then, going from 85 to 75 is nothing I would qualify as "much worse" (that would be going from something in the 90's to somethng in the 70's IMO).

Anyway I'm on the "Sticker Star didn't poisoned the games as bad as GAF makes you want to believe" camp so it's more Wii U's fault than the game being bad or much worse. And despite everything it'll probably sell more than the Last Guardian in Japan so...

Bwahahaha ;D

casiopao

Even then, going from 85 to 75 is nothing I would qualify as "much worse" (that would be going from something in the 90's to somethng in the 70's IMO).

Anyway I'm on the "Sticker Star didn't poisoned the games as bad as GAF makes you want to believe" camp so it's more Wii U's fault than the game being bad or much worse. And despite everything it'll probably sell more than the Last Guardian in Japan so...

Bwahahaha ;D

Waitttt. Last guardian selling worst vs color splash? I mean how bad is the last two ico games sales here.0_0

Orgen

Waitttt. Last guardian selling worst vs color splash? I mean how bad is the last two ico games sales here.0_0

Hahaha, I was only trying to spark a round 2 in the battles between Mario Spinoffs vs Sony Exclusives (started by Mario Party 10 vs Bloodborne). I expect The Last Guardian to have a drop regarding ICO (200.000) and Shadow of the Clossus (230.000) but I don't think it'll be so severe so It'll be beaten by Color Splash LTD.

But maybe they'll finish with a closer LTD than what we think ;D

casiopao

Hahaha, I was only trying to spark a round 2 in the battles between Mario Spinoffs vs Sony Exclusives (started by Mario Party 10 vs Bloodborne). I expect The Last Guardian to have a drop regarding ICO (200.000) and Shadow of the Clossus (230.000) but I don't think it'll be so severe so It'll be beaten by Color Splash LTD.

But maybe they'll finish with a closer LTD than what we think ;D

Ahh i see. I thought we are talking about super bomba lol.

I don't think Color Splash had any chance of reaching 200k though.O_O

sphinx

the piano man
I don't think Color Splash had any chance of reaching 200k though.O_O

agreed, it just can't sell that much.

it seems as if good WiiU selling games in Japan require a strong multiplayer component.

I wonder whether Color Splash is headed towards Wonderful 101/Donkey Kong: TF territory.

(one year later)

Ōkami;193503314 said:
Famitsu's Top 30 for December 2015 (30/11 - 3/1)
  1. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch Busters – 370,477 (309,034 physical, 8,401 digital)
  2. [WIU] Super Mario Maker – 317,435 (309,034 physical, 8,401 digital)
Does someone have the true numbers for Yo-Kai Watch Busters?

Edit: Nervermind, I just have to use the physical sales from the weekly top 30 and the cumulative sales from this monthly top 30.

sphinx

the piano man
Wonderful 101 had very different numbers than Donkey Kong :|

both were MASSIVE bombs in japan, the last number I saw for TF was like 20k and wonderful started at 4k so it probably sold 15k LTD? just going by memory here, I don't have the exact LTDs but they sold terribly bad.

Ōkami

both were MASSIVE bombs in japan, the last number I saw for TF was like 20k and wonderful started at 4k so it probably sold 15k LTD? just going by memory here, I don't have the exact LTDs but they sold terribly bad.
Add 100k to Donkey Kong.

They both bombed alright, but ended up pretty far away from one another.

sphinx

the piano man
Ōkami;219789716 said:
Add 100k to Donkey Kong.

They both bombed alright, but ended up pretty far away from one another.

out of those the most tragic is definitely Donkey Kong,

DK on Wii sold over one million copies in Japan alone. I'd think that a game that sells over 1 million copies is a system seller, plus the IP has the SNES legacy!

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze should have helped sell like 200k units, it didn't do shit cause yeah, it's on WiiU :(

Ōkami

So, Xbox One is getting another price drop.

lJz7l1x.png

The price for the first two is what they already go by, they're dropping the price of the upcoming Battlefield 1 bundle.

Stand alone system is getting a price drop too though, from October 13 a regular Xbox One with no games will go for 22.759 yen (some $220).

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/xboxjapanblog/2016/10/11/xbox-one-price-change/

horuhe

Ōkami;219805322 said:
Stand alone system is getting a price drop too though, from October 13 a regular Xbox One with no games will go for 22.759 yen (some $220).

Holy mother of God, this has gone too far... Microsoft is giving all its heart with it. Hope holidays could make the thing sell in four digits for at least one week.

casiopao

Lol..... that XOne price cut is making me wanna buy one lol. Does JP X-1 had region lock? Can i play the game outside of JP region?

Oregano

OMG Bravely Default coming to iOS/Android.

Or OMG new Bravely F2P game coming to iOS/Android.

Or Bravely HD collection for PS4.

casiopao

No, it hasn't region lock.You can buy games from every store, etc,

Nice.^_^ Hoped that when i went to Japan maybe late this year, i will get the chance to get the console.^^

https://twitter.com/BDFF_OFFICIAL/status/785755103714082816/photo/1

4th year anniversary for Bravely series and a new announcement coming soon!?

Gonna guess its for phones.

Finally, Bravely Third.

,,,,,,,,it is going to be Bravely Default for Mobile right?T_T

i'm just hoping it's not a new bravely f2p game... I kinda like archive actually
Nice.^_^ Hoped that when i went to Japan maybe late this year, i will get the chance to get the console.^^

Finally, Bravely Third.

,,,,,,,,it is going to be Bravely Default for Mobile right?T_T

you'll have plenty of chance to grab one. it's not like it will be sold out :p

Orgen

out of those the most tragic is definitely Donkey Kong,

DK on Wii sold over one million copies in Japan alone. I'd think that a game that sells over 1 million copies is a system seller, plus the IP has the SNES legacy!

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze should have helped sell like 200k units, it didn't do shit cause yeah, it's on WiiU :(

Wonderful 101 - 27.000
Donkey Kong: TF - 118.000

You were talking about territory. Does that seem the same territory to you?

If you wanted to talk about declines then the Wonderful 101 doesn't belong there and you could've used a better example with the Wii series (Sports and Fit).

In the end Color Splash should sell on par with Donkey Kong and Xenoblade, which is the best a Wii U game could do right now in Japan (these numbers would mean selling better than Tokyo Mirage Session, Yoshi's Wooly World, Bayonetta 2, Project Zero V, both Zelda remakes, Lego City, Game and Wario, Kirby Rainbow...). There's always going to be a decline comparing titles from handheld to console (and worse if it's 3DS to Wii U) so a huge decline is expected. But selling numbers on W101 territory is too much hyperbole.

Top Bottom