• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 50, 2014 (Dec 08 - Dec 14)

Takao

Banned
Honestly, I don't get why, all of a sudden, people start believing that the main series will abandon Nintendo consoles, 3DS in this case. What's the reason, considering how well the latest two entries sold?

Stop gap until 4DS.

As I posted earlier, MH is pretty much annual but I'm not sure what else they could do on 3DS.

I think it'll be something bigger than another HD home console port.

ichinose will return

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Monster Hunter Portable 3 did have pretty great success very late in the PSP's lifecycle.

I don't feel the series would really tank with another 3DS entry.

That said it looks like they're going to miss their fiscal year target unless the game does quite well in the West.

However, I'm not sure moving to PS4 is really a fix for that given it's not a remotely healthy platform in their core region.

Takao

Banned
P3rd was the first MH on a handheld in two years while the series was still growing.

If it's really a new MH game, I'd expect PlayStation Ecosystem (tm) to be at work. PSV/PS4/PS3.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Honestly, I don't get why, all of a sudden, people start believing that the main series will abandon Nintendo consoles, 3DS in this case. What's the reason, considering how well the latest two entries sold?.

We have the same discussion at least twice a year, usually by same people, it's not all of a sudden

crinale

As for "new start" of MH series they may want to make it fully f2p-ish, but I wish they won't do it.

Edit:
Monster Hunter Portable 3 did have pretty great success very late in the PSP's lifecycle.

I don't feel the series would really tank with another 3DS entry.

That said it looks like they're going to miss their fiscal year target unless the game does quite well in the West.

However, I'm not sure moving to PS4 is really a fix for that given it's not a remotely healthy platform in their core region.

This came from Portable 2G's critical reception and word of mouth in Japan. And while MH3 went to bomba bin it was received well also.
However for MH4G reception among audience is rather mixed, so I'm not sure how the next entry will perform, regardless of the platform.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
As for "new start" of MH series they may want to make it fully f2p-ish, but I wish they won't do it.

Edit:

This came from Portable 2G's critical reception and word of mouth in Japan. And while MH3 went to bomba bin it was received well also.
However for MH4G reception among audience is rather mixed, so I'm not sure how the next entry will perform, regardless of the platform.

Yeah, with the biggest series, quality and quality-innovation often leads the ability of the game to sustain.

Capcom isn't known for their ability to maintain quality or come up with excellent new ideas to add to existing series in modern days, so I wouldn't be blown away if it turned out the series was dipping there.

DrWong

If I had to caricature some of the recurrent topics here for the lol I'd put it that way: Nintendo is killing all their big competitors on their own platform in order to make more room for their IPs, thus pushing pokemen to counter Yokai Watch which is obviously killing their business, sabotaging MH with the Frankenstick - also helped by Amazon reviews - to make room for their unannounced Pikmin Hunter on 3Ds, not doing an HD 3DS to kill any future prospect for the Dragon Quest IP...

The Pikachu detective game is definitely developped to kill Layton and Phoenix Wright games :D

Oregano

Edit:

Wasn't that because of it's nature as an expansion released only a year later? A hypothetical MonHun 5 might not be affcted by that whereas MonHun 5G would be.

Every year, at this time, we have discussion about 3DS not having much first and third party support, about the inevitable YOY decline, about competition taking off, and so on. I'd say that just by looking at software & hardware sales, answers are really written on the wall, without much speculating.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Thanks!

January
  • Kenka Bancho 6: Soul & Blood - Jan 15th
  • The Legend of Legacy (FuRyu) - Jan 22nd
  • Devil Survivor 2: Break Record (Atlus) - Jan 29th
  • Yowamushi Pedal (Bandai Namco) - Jan 29th
  • Ace Combat 3D: Cross Rumble + (Bandai Namco) - Jan 29th

February
  • Lost Heroes 2 (Bandai Namco) - Feb 4th
  • The Seven Deadly Sins: Unjust Sin (Bandai Namco) - Feb 11th
  • Kiniro no Corda 3: Full Voice Edition (Koei Tecmo) - Feb 26th

March
  • Etrian Odyssey Mystery Dungeon (Atlus) - Mar 5th
  • Doraemon: Nobita’s Space Hero Record of Space Heroes (FuRyu) - Mar 5th
  • New Prince of Tennis ~Go to the Top~ (Konami) - Mar 5th
  • PriPara & Pretty Rhythm (Bandai Namco) - Mar 19th
  • Theatrhythm Dragon Quest (Square Enix) - Mar 26th
  • Kuroko’s Basketball: Ties to the Future (Bandai Namco) - Mar 26th
  • Atelier Roron (Tecmo Koei) - Mar 26th

April
  • Rodea: The Sky Soldier (Kadokawa) - April 2nd
  • Terra Formars: Akaki Hoshi no Gekitou (FuRyu) - Apr 2nd
  • Bravely Second (Square Enix) - Apr 23rd

TBA 2015
  • Stella Glow (imageepoch) - Winter
  • Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. Lincoln VS Aliens (Nintendo) - Spring
  • Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai Deluxe (SEGA) - Spring
  • Tribe Cool Crew: THE G@ME (Bandai Namco) - Spring
  • The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D (Nintendo) - Spring
  • Assasination Classroom: Grand Siege on Kurosensei (Bandai Namco) - TBA
  • Dai Gyakuten Saiban (Capcom) - TBA
  • PoPoLoCrois Harvest Moon (Marvelous) - TBA
  • Xenoblade Chronicles (Nintendo) - TBA
  • Kaio: King of Pirates (Marvelous) - TBA

Assassination Classroom is releasing on 3/12: http://www.gonintendo.com/s/244093-assassination-classroom-grand-siege-new-trailer-launch-date.

Rodea getting a release date gives the Wii U like 3 release dates for next year now?

Wii U;
Lego Marvel Superheroes - 1/22
Kirby: Rainbow Curse - 1/22
Rodea - 4/2

Every year, at this time, we have discussion about 3DS not having much first and third party support, about the inevitable YOY decline, about competition taking off, and so on. I'd say that just by looking at software & hardware sales, answers are really written on the wall, without much speculating.
It's really a silly argument in JP imo. 3M is still great for a console in its 4th year, only behind the original DS. Very few consoles have even sold over 3M in a year. I think the Wii did in 2007, and the PS2 did 1-2 times maybe? Honestly, this is a great time to see something other than the usual suspects to shine. Honestly, even TT:DQ could hit 200K, which is higher than any title has sold on the PS4 thus far (- the forced bundling of Knack).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If I had to caricature some of the recurrent topics here for the lol I'd put it that way: Nintendo is killing all their big competitors on their own platform in order to make more room for their IPs, thus pushing pokemen to counter Yokai Watch which is obviously killing their business, sabotaging MH with the Frankenstick - also helped by Amazon reviews - to make room for their unannounced Pikmin Hunter on 3Ds, not doing an HD 3DS to kill any future prospect for the Dragon Quest IP...

The Pikachu detective game is definitely developped to kill Layton and Phoenix Wright games :D

They've been very successful so far. Here's the first screenshots of Yokai Watch 3, exclusive to Vita.

Honestly, even TT:DQ could hit 200K, which is higher than any title has sold on the PS4 thus far (- the forced bundling of Knack).

honestly it's not very honest to make a comparison with a 800k platform and a over 20mln platform, but I honestly understand that talking about 3DS decline might be boring, so let's switch to how DQ and MH must remain on 3DS because they sold honestly well on there, that's a very interesting discussion indeed even if it pops up every time there are rumors about one of those franchises moving back to Sony ecosystem

All I know is Wii U is not the best platform for MH4 HD
(or any other game)
, especially with PS4 slaying the globe.

Too bad I won't be able to transfer my save data from the 3DS to PS4. :(

is tsujimoto involved with MHE?
I doubt, MHE is a Capcom Online game, completely different studios.

People were saying the exact same thing after the PSP games to be fair.

The argument put forward was basically that there was no way Sony wouldn't lock up exclusivity and Capcom wouldn't put it on a system without the claw or 2 sticks. It never really made much sense.

Darius

Banned
It's really a silly argument in JP imo. 3M is still great for a console in its 4th year, only behind the original DS. Very few consoles have even sold over 3M in a year. I think the Wii did in 2007, and the PS2 did 1-2 times maybe? Honestly, this is a great time to see something other than the usual suspects to shine. Honestly, even TT:DQ could hit 200K, which is higher than any title has sold on the PS4 thus far (- the forced bundling of Knack).

Yes, sales have been quite good compared to other very successful systems. But for whatever reason some really want to push the narrative that it´s doing badly in Japan. Like a decline in sales immediately makes the numbers bad in absolute terms, on the contrary PSVs sales had been put in a positive light until recently because it was above last years sales, despite quite worse sales compared to its competitor. It´s interesting that in the end PSV is even underperforming last years mediocre at best sales, despite a better start, this year.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Yes, sales have been quite good compared to other very successful systems. But for whatever reason some really want to push the narrative that it´s doing badly in Japan. Like a decline in sales immediately makes the numbers bad in absolute terms, on the contrary PSVs sales had been put in a positive light until recently because it was above last years sales, despite quite worse sales compared to its competitor. It´s interesting that in the end PSV is even underperforming last years mediocre at best sales, despite a better start, this year.

Well I think most people didn't Sony to completely abandon the Vita as they did in Japan. It at least could have survived somewhat in JP (maybe another 1M year) instead of just tanking and taking PSNova down with it.

Vena

Type 0 HD PS4 console sold out of pre-orders in half a day at Rakuten.

2015 PS4 dominance continuez!

The catch? Its all the same set of people re-buying the editions. By the end of this gen we're going to have people with three PS34s per household.

Seems daft of me to ask but an ARM based console is also possible, right? I'm sure it is.

I don't see why it wouldn't be able to be done, especially if its a specialized chip-set for gaming. It'd fit in with Nintendo's desire for low-powered units as well as ARM is much more efficient than x86.

Faustek

heh....screw you Niro. I nearly pissed my self in disbelief(YW)....And yes I would play Monster Attorney.

And to be fair to Capcom...they do strange things but all things considering with their engines and co-marketing I wouldn't put it above them to make what-looks-from-a-little-people-perspective foolish. Perhaps Sony is helping them take that glorious step into Smarphone gaming? Who knows?

I would kill for a dual stick MH that isn't on Wii U/Frankenstick

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
heh....screw you Niro. I nearly pissed my self in disbelief(YW)....And yes I would play Monster Attorney.

And to be fair to Capcom...they do strange things but all things considering with their engines and co-marketing I wouldn't put it above them to make what-looks-from-a-little-people-perspective foolish. Perhaps Sony is helping them take that glorious step into Smarphone gaming? Who knows?

I would kill for a dual stick MH that isn't on Wii U/Frankenstick

I knew at least one person must have missed the original unveiling. :p

Faustek

ok, I always assumed it was a PS3 game. Didn't really care until I saw it was a 3DS game and then I didn't care because of region locking, then I didn't care because I was sulking and then I didn't care because of poop youkai.....I fucking care ok? My Japanese 3DS is dead. I can't read Japanese for shit, I can't fucking play the game so it's dead to me!....I want the Game Niro. I really do.

It's coming though so that's good ^^

Anyway, Famitsu/Media Create on vacation soon? Never sure if it's this or next week or the first week of the year but we're going to miss 1-2 weeks and instead get a bundled week?

Tsutaya:

- Youkai Watch 2 Shinuchi with strong sales and short supply
- Final Fantasy Explorers off to a good start
- Gundam Breaker 2 sold more than expected, short supply, GB2 Vita sold more than GB1 Vita (note: it was a late port)

Principate

Saint Titanfall
honestly it's not very honest to make a comparison with a 800k platform and a over 20mln platform, but I honestly understand that talking about 3DS decline might be boring, so let's switch to how DQ and MH must remain on 3DS because they sold honestly well on there, that's a very interesting discussion indeed even if it pops up every time there are rumors about one of those franchises moving back to Sony ecosystem

TBF even discounting that. The best case scenario for the PS4 is the PS3 and even that in spite of it's lifespan and tracked higher than the PS4 currently has only 1 or 2 million sellers. The days of multimillion sellers on Playstation home consoles in Japan are long gone.

Tsutaya:

- Gundam Breaker 2 sold more than expected, short supply, GB2 Vita sold more than GB1 Vita (note: it was a late port)

Really curious to see how much YW2.5 declines this week. 2m shipped and it might reach a high sell-through. I'm expecting high sales next week as well, with the movie exploding at the box-office.

FF Explorers should end up selling more than PS Nova eventually, but I wonder if it can reach 150k units sold.

Tsutaya:

I hope FFE does really well and SE gets confident enough to bring it over here. It looks a bit meh visually, but I'm digging the similarities to the Crystal Chronicle games

Oregano

I hope FFE does really well and SE gets confident enough to bring it over here. It looks a bit meh visually, but I'm digging the similarities to the Crystal Chronicle games

I wish it was a Crystal Chronicles games.:(

I think if Echoes of Time was the last one released instead of Crystal Bearers it probably would have been. I love Crystal Bearers but it's not fair that its poor reception brought down the rest of the series too.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

It's already been trademarked for the West, IIRC.

-MB-

Don't forget, also in decline compared to its predecessor, the PSP.

Oregano

Guys we totally missed the obvious hint from Tsuijimoto's comments. "New Start" because MonHun 5 is going to be New 3DS exclusive obviously. MH4U bridged the gap just as MH5U will bridge the gap to 4DS.

This is not a serious prediction/hypothesis

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
MH4G/U seems like the total package and seems to be pushing the 3DS - dont see what else they could bring to the formula. And just another full price upgrade wont be enough since a portion of the fanbase is already complaining that they had to buy MH4G a year after MH4.

I would expect a portable like spin-off of 4th MH generation for HD systems, and the PS Eco system is the most attractive when it comes to these type of games. So MH whatever is called (PSV/PS4 - maybe PS3). And if the rumors from back then are true the 3DS exclusive contract would end this year as well.

Would be nice if the put it on PC as well, especially if they plan a western release again.

Guys we totally missed the obvious hint from Tsuijimoto's comments. "New Start" because MonHun 5 is going to be New 3DS exclusive obviously. MH4U bridged the gap just as MH5U will bridge the gap to 4DS.

This is not a serious prediction/hypothesis
PS4: 906.566
N3DS: 925.864

;)

Grampasso

I wish it was a Crystal Chronicles games.:(

I think if Echoes of Time was the last one released instead of Crystal Bearers it probably would have been. I love Crystal Bearers but it's not fair that its poor reception brought down the rest of the series too.
If only they would rerelease the GC one on n3DS... it would be such a perfect fit, ç_ç

monpiece

Banned
FF Explorers should end up selling more than PS Nova eventually, but I wonder if it can reach 150k units sold.

Being a Final Fantasy game (spin-off, but still Final Fantasy), it is hard to believe it would sell less than Phantasy Star Nova, even if Nova had fared a bit better than it did, judging by FF spin-offs on DS.

Oregano

MH4G/U seems like the total package and seems to be pushing the 3DS - dont see what else they could bring to the formula. And just another full price upgrade wont be enough since a portion of the fanbase is already complaining that they had to buy MH4G a year after MH4.

I would expect a portable like spin-off of 4th MH generation for HD systems, and the PS Eco system is the most attractive when it comes to these type of games. So MH whatever is called (PSV/PS4 - maybe PS3). And if the rumors from back then are true the 3DS exclusive contract would end this year as well.

Would be nice if the put it on PC as well, especially if they plan a western release again.

Surely MH Frontier being on Vita disproves that rumour anyway?

I think that rumour was just people to rationalize the decision when the real reason seemed obvious.

If only they would rerelease the GC one on n3DS... it would be such a perfect fit, ç_ç

Yes it would. They could/should also port My Life as a King/Darklord to the (n)3DS.

Being a Final Fantasy game (spin-off, but still Final Fantasy), it is hard to believe it would sell less than Phantasy Star Nova, even if Nova had fared a bit better than it did, judging by FF spin-offs on DS.

I might be mistaken but I think Phantasy Star Portable did better than everything but Type Zero last gen and Phantasy Star Zero nearly did as well as Echoes of Time on the DS so it wasn't a certainty. Especially with FF Explorers looking pretty meh.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

If Nova had a performance close to Phantase star Portable it is hard to believe it would sell less than Final Fantasy Explorers.

It's really a silly argument in JP imo. 3M is still great for a console in its 4th year, only behind the original DS. Very few consoles have even sold over 3M in a year. I think the Wii did in 2007, and the PS2 did 1-2 times maybe?
The 3DS's or rather Nintendo handhelds' longer term problems aren't borne out of looking at the performance of the system in Japan in isolation.

Where problems arise are in looking at the performance in Japan in concert to the market's increased importance for handheld success, given a global context where they're rapidly becoming increasingly obsolete.

Japan accounts for 37% of cumulative 3DS shipments, and I expect this share will likely grow over the remainder of the system life. And likely grow further in successor platforms.

In the last generation of handhelds about 80M PSP's were sold, this generation all handhelds combined will be lucky to get near 80M. The plurality of those will be in the Japanese market. Sony will exit, ceding a monopoly over a shrinking market to Nintendo. But I expect the numbers next gen for handhelds will come in well below this gen's, particularly in Western markets.

I.e. is selling 20-odd million systems in the Japanese market going to be enough for a company of Nintendo's size going forward, when Japan will account for something like 40%+ of sales.

Oregano

The 3DS's or rather Nintendo handhelds' longer term problems aren't borne out of looking at the performance of the system in Japan in isolation.

Where problems arise are in looking at the performance in Japan in concert to the market's increased importance for handheld success, given a global context where they're rapidly becoming increasingly obsolete.

Japan accounts for 37% of cumulative 3DS shipments, and I expect this share will likely grow over the remainder of the system life. And likely grow further in successor platforms.

In the last generation of handhelds about 80M PSP's were sold, this generation all handhelds combined will be lucky to get near 80M. The plurality of those will be in the Japanese market. Sony will exit, ceding a monopoly over a shrinking market to Nintendo. But I expect the numbers next gen for handhelds will come in well below this gen's, particularly in Western markets.

I.e. is selling 20-odd million systems in the Japanese market going to be enough for a company of Nintendo's size going forward, when Japan will account for something like 40%+ of sales.

Well the advantage of not having a Sony competitor isn't that the 4DS(or whatever it will be called) would absorb the meager hardware sales. It's that there would be a lot more software produced for the system which would help avoid droughts and possibly bring in new fanbases. The gamble would be that the consolidation of third party support and the unification of handheld/console software development would enhance the appeal of the system to increase the marketshare.

The results however remain to be seen. Hell Sony might surprise us with a Vita successor.

monpiece

Banned
If Nova had a performance close to Phantase star Portable it is hard to believe it would sell less than Final Fantasy Explorers.

Most people weren't expecting that, though, were they? I mean, even Sega seems to have reduced their expectations before the game was released.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well the advantage of not having a Sony competitor isn't that the 4DS(or whatever it will be called) would absorb the meager hardware sales. It's that there would be a lot more software produced for the system which would help avoid droughts and possibly bring in new fanbases. The gamble would be that the consolidation of third party support and the unification of handheld/console software development would enhance the appeal of the system to increase the marketshare.

The results however remain to be seen. Hell Sony might surprise us with a Vita successor.
I think one thing worth considering is that people that own one platform often own more than one platform, especially when you're looking at more niche devices.

Like, how many people in Japan own a PS3, PS4, or Vita, and actually don't own a 3DS, even if they prefer playing on the other platforms?

That said I do think having more software would raise software sales and help stabilize hardware sales in Japan.

If it didn't, well, that'd be pretty dire.

Oregano

I think one thing worth considering is that people that own one platform often own more than one platform, especially when you're looking at more niche devices.

Like, how many people in Japan own a PS3, PS4, or Vita, and actually don't own a 3DS, even if they prefer playing on the other platforms?

That said I do think having more software would raise software sales and help stabilize hardware sales in Japan.

If it didn't, well, that'd be pretty dire.

That's true. Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3 being flat against 2nd probably shows that the majority of Vita owners own a 3DS anyway.

I can imagine there is a subset of people though that have skipped either one because their individual lineups may not have enough to convince them but combined they might. The problem is that subset of people might be tiny.

Top Bottom