• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 50, 2014 (Dec 08 - Dec 14)

Being a Final Fantasy game (spin-off, but still Final Fantasy), it is hard to believe it would sell less than Phantasy Star Nova, even if Nova had fared a bit better than it did, judging by FF spin-offs on DS.

I was referring to a previous comment of mine, before both games were released. At the beginning, I was expecting PS Nova to outsell FF Explorers; it's true that FF is a bigger name than PS, but it is also true that Explorers has much more competition on 3DS, in the same genre as well, while Nova was basically the biggest PSV exclusive of the past months.

Busaiku

How does Final Fantasy Explorers have more competition in the same genre?
There's just Monster Hunter and that's it.

casiopao

How does Final Fantasy Explorers have more competition in the same genre?
There's just Monster Hunter and that's it.

I would say, FF Ex had more problem with their own gameplay more than being Mon Hun though. It plays like FF 14 lite more than being Mon Hun clone.

mao2

I was referring to a previous comment of mine, before both games were released. At the beginning, I was expecting PS Nova to outsell FF Explorers; it's true that FF is a bigger name than PS, but it is also true that Explorers has much more competition on 3DS, in the same genre as well, while Nova was basically the biggest PSV exclusive of the past months.
Phantasy Star Nova is the 893467152th Monster Hunter "clone" on Vita, plus it played similarly to Phantasy Star Online 2 which was released before it.

monpiece

Banned

Fair enough. In the end, I think PS Nova was the one who suffered from competiton because Vita was flooded with similar games in a short time, and Sega failed to show the target audience why it would be better than either Phantasy Star Online 2 or the other similar games.

As for FF Explorers, although 3DS had many "huge" games recently, some are not targeting the same audience, so their sales probably will not interfere with FF Explorers sales.

test_account

XP-39C²
Yes, sales have been quite good compared to other very successful systems. But for whatever reason some really want to push the narrative that it´s doing badly in Japan. Like a decline in sales immediately makes the numbers bad in absolute terms, on the contrary PSVs sales had been put in a positive light until recently because it was above last years sales, despite quite worse sales compared to its competitor. It´s interesting that in the end PSV is even underperforming last years mediocre at best sales, despite a better start, this year.
Don't forget, also in decline compared to its predecessor, the PSP.
Those who have talked positive about Vita's sales earlier this year have only done it in comparison to earlier comments about it being discontinued in 2014 and such though. The Vita was basically selling better than what some people thought it would in 2014, its unrelated to how other systems are doing. Its after all no secret that the Vita has sold a lot less than what the PSP did. Generally speaking, if you were around in the Media Create thread in the 1-2 years after the Vita was launched, you would see a lot of comments about how bad the Vita was doing.

Also, when something is declining, some people will point out the negative about it. Its like if for example GTA or Call of Duty declines in sales, you will see negative comments about that despite the absolute sales numbers still being very high. Just like with the 3DS declining compared to the DS, you also have some people who are more vocal than others about pointing out how bad the Vita is selling, so i guess that its not that much difference in that regards (as in people focusing more on the negative aspects instead of on the positive). With all that said, i agree that the absolute numbers is the most important thing.

monpiece

Banned
With all that said, i agree that the absolute numbers is the most important thing.

Depends on what you are using the numbers for. Using your example, if there is a trend of decline in Call of Duty sales, Activision must take the trend into account when planning for the next installment of the series, and it may mean spending less to make or market the future games.

The same thing applies to handhelds. If there is no strong industry contraction, Sony should write off Vita's misfortunes as their mistake in positioning their product in the market and make another handheld. However, if the trend of contraction to a third of the sales from the last generation looks unstoppable unless there is a dramatic turn of the events, Sony is better off shutting down their handheld division after Vita.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
The 3DS's or rather Nintendo handhelds' longer term problems aren't borne out of looking at the performance of the system in Japan in isolation.

Where problems arise are in looking at the performance in Japan in concert to the market's increased importance for handheld success, given a global context where they're rapidly becoming increasingly obsolete.

Japan accounts for 37% of cumulative 3DS shipments, and I expect this share will likely grow over the remainder of the system life. And likely grow further in successor platforms.

In the last generation of handhelds about 80M PSP's were sold, this generation all handhelds combined will be lucky to get near 80M. The plurality of those will be in the Japanese market. Sony will exit, ceding a monopoly over a shrinking market to Nintendo. But I expect the numbers next gen for handhelds will come in well below this gen's, particularly in Western markets.

I.e. is selling 20-odd million systems in the Japanese market going to be enough for a company of Nintendo's size going forward, when Japan will account for something like 40%+ of sales.

I realize that Shinra, since I do frequent NPD threads as well =). All I was saying was the 3DS's problems are not in JP. I think they have done a pretty good job in Japan w/ the 3DS. I'm pretty sure it's on track to do as well as some of the most successful consoles in JP, and has a chance to surpass them (PS1, PS2, PSP, NES?). The problem is the rest of the world, where the 3DS is doing mediocre at best, and the Wii U, which is just doing miserably around the world.

Oregano

Depends on what you are using the numbers for. Using your example, if there is a trend of decline in Call of Duty sales, Activision must take the trend into account when planning for the next installment of the series, and it may mean spending less to make or market the future games.

The same thing applies to handhelds. If there is no strong industry contraction, Sony should write off Vita's misfortunes as their mistake in positioning their product in the market and make another handheld. However, if the trend of contraction to a third of the sales from the last generation looks unstoppable unless there is a dramatic turn of the events, Sony is better off shutting down their handheld division after Vita.

I don't think Sony really has a handheld division now anyway. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the only retail first party game announced for Vita is Resident Evil Revelations 2 and that will almost certainly be outsourced.

Last week will probably mark the end of #20V1T4.

Don't worry, Monster Hunter Portable 4th will be there to make it #MMXVita.

test_account

XP-39C²

Yeah, that is definitelly true. Declining numbers is something that should be analyzed, and see if anything else can be done differently next time, indeed. I just mean that despite the 3DS selling less than the DS, or if a Call of Duty game sells 15 million copies instead of 25 million, their overall numbers are still very good :)

I realize that Shinra, since I do frequent NPD threads as well =). All I was saying was the 3DS's problems are not in JP. I think they have done a pretty good job in Japan w/ the 3DS. I'm pretty sure it's on track to do as well as some of the most successful consoles in JP, and has a chance to surpass them (PS1, PS2, PSP, NES?). The problem is the rest of the world, where the 3DS is doing mediocre at best, and the Wii U, which is just doing miserably around the world.
Yes, and I concur about Japanese success, but I'm simply elaborating on how the system's performance and future system performances for handhelds may seem less positive if viewed through a more holistic lens. It's not just doom and gloom; there are very valid points to be made about why decline from last gen in the territory for handheld systems is more significant going forward, given the massive decline outside of the territory.

monpiece

Banned
I don't think Sony really has a handheld division now anyway. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the only retail first party game announced for Vita is Resident Evil Revelations 2 and that will almost certainly be outsourced.

The handheld division would not only care about developing games (internal studios would do that), but they have to manufacture the hardware, improve the OS, release updates and fixes, add some apps from time to time and even design revisions, etc. It is possible that they are gradually reallocating people from hardware division to other divisions as their work on Vita is slowing and if they have no plans for further handhelds, but the division will remain for some time.

Yeah, that is definitelly true. Declining numbers is something that should be analyzed, and see if anything else can be done differently next time, indeed. I just mean that despite the 3DS selling less than the DS, or if a Call of Duty game sells 15 million copies instead of 25 million, their overall numbers are still very good :)

Sure, numbers are good, I don't think there are many people saying they aren't for the current market. That doesn't mean the future is rosy, as some people seem to assume. If the contraction trend is not stopped with something new (the handheld market contracted more than 50% in 6 or 7 years even in 'the land of handhelds'), the next handheld may still "sell well, considering the market situation", but the viability of the business model will plummet, and only it will take a lot more to recover, or maybe recovery is not even possible by then.

Contrary to what some people think, many times it is better to be the market leader with competitors eating a good chunk of the audience than to reign alone. A business segment with only one 'viable' company doesn't look like a healthy and promising market.

Fair enough. In the end, I think PS Nova was the one who suffered from competiton because Vita was flooded with similar games in a short time, and Sega failed to show the target audience why it would be better than either Phantasy Star Online 2 or the other similar games.

As for FF Explorers, although 3DS had many "huge" games recently, some are not targeting the same audience, so their sales probably will not interfere with FF Explorers sales.

But one of them is Monster Hunter.

monpiece

Banned

Sure, one of them is Monster Hunter. On Vita side, a action-hunting game fan had at Ragnarok Odyssey Ace, Toukiden Kiwami, Soul Sacrifice Delta, Gods Eater 2 and Freedom Wars in a bit more than one year, plus the continuous appeal of Phantasy Star Online 2. So it is much more likely that a Vita owner had already had its fill of action-hunting games than a 3DS owner.

mao2

Having a massive title doesn't necessarily mean that smaller ones will fail though. For example, Phantasy Star Portable was released just 4 months after Monster Hunter 2G, but ended up selling nearly 700K copies. It actually benefited from Monster Hunter's popularity as it was, I believe, the only alternative available on PSP at that time.

Currently 3DS doesn't have many hunting action games, so I think that Final Fantasy Explorers has a decent chance to be successful, if it's good.

Sure, one of them is Monster Hunter. On Vita side, a action-hunting game fan had at Ragnarok Odyssey Ace, Toukiden Kiwami, Soul Sacrifice Delta, Gods Eater 2 and Freedom Wars in a bit more than one year, plus the continuous appeal of Phantasy Star Online 2. So it is much more likely that a Vita owner had already had its fill of action-hunting games than a 3DS owner.

Having a massive title doesn't necessarily mean that smaller ones will fail though. For example, Phantasy Star Portable was released just 4 months after Monster Hunter 2G, but ended up selling nearly 700K copies. It actually benefited from Monster Hunter's popularity as it was, I believe, the only alternative available on PSP at that time.

Currently 3DS doesn't have many hunting action games, so I think that Final Fantasy Explorers has a decent chance to be successful, if it's good.

Not saying that the title must necessarily fail; just saying that FFEX had much more competition, in the same genre and in general (I can see, for example, SSB aiming at the same audience; also the new PKMN had a slightly older than usual userbase), while PSN was basically the only big PSV release in the last months of the year.

test_account

XP-39C²
About competition, i would guess that in general that there are more competition across the board (as in that people have access to more than one gaming system). Like Reggie once said, Nintendo is comepting for people's time.

ehm... I have to disagree with you :D
Hehe :) On the positive side, at least you get payed for working one extra day, and the numbers arent delayed =)

Sure, numbers are good, I don't think there are many people saying they aren't for the current market. That doesn't mean the future is rosy, as some people seem to assume. If the contraction trend is not stopped with something new (the handheld market contracted more than 50% in 6 or 7 years even in 'the land of handhelds'), the next handheld may still "sell well, considering the market situation", but the viability of the business model will plummet, and only it will take a lot more to recover, or maybe recovery is not even possible by then.

Contrary to what some people think, many times it is better to be the market leader with competitors eating a good chunk of the audience than to reign alone. A business segment with only one 'viable' company doesn't look like a healthy and promising market.
I agree. I guess that Nintendo and Sony are trying to figure out what to do next to make their products interesting to as many people as possible, to stop further decline.

Oregano

Fucking yes.

Phew. Glad that's sorted.

I'm glad you appreciated it.

Not saying that the title must necessarily fail; just saying that FFEX had much more competition, in the same genre and in general (I can see, for example, SSB aiming at the same audience; also the new PKMN had a slightly older than usual userbase), while PSN was basically the only big PSV release in the last months of the year.

I think both points stand. FFEX is coming out in a much more crowded time than PSN and is also up against the king of the genre but PSN is on a platform with many more competitors within the genre.

There's also the point that big releases on cartridge based formats can affect smaller releases because they have to allocate and produce the cartridges ahead of time. Sakurai gave cartridge production schedules as a prime reason Smash came out in Sept for instance. In this case those I bet supply will be more than enough for demand.

Bruno MB

Less than an hour for this week's numbers.

Here's my prediction:

[3DS] Youkai Watch 2: Shinuchi - 550.000
[3DS] Final Fantasy Explorers - 125.000
[PS3] Gundam Breaker 2 - 90.000
[PSV] Gundam Breaker 2 - 55.000

3DS Hardware - 205.000
PS4 Hardware - 48.000

L~A

Are you sure?

Media Create:

New3DS LL 108,235
New3DS 46,815
Wii U 38,314
Vita 32,834
PS4 30,951
3DS LL 27,469
3DS 13,832
PS3 9,956
Vita TV 963
Xbox One 893
Xbox 360 129
PSP 6

FFE: 161k.

Oh, and Captain Toad passed the 100k mark. I knew he had it in him.

PS4 21,657

Mess.

i9dbQMUDi7Ack.gif

Eolz

Good for Captain Toad.
Glad that WiiU could get above the PS4 too, even if those are pretty bad numbers considering the season.

Top Bottom