• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 9, 2015 (Feb 23 - Mar 01)

are you seriously denying the "otaku"* demographic present on Vita? because I think that's the main reason why we see many project on that platform imho, equalizing the 3DS and Vita target age?
Or did I miss something "against" Pennywise?

*sorry if this is not the best term.

I was going to reply but Takao said it better than I would of:

My Stella Glow jab was at the idea of Luminous Arc Infinity having been drastically redesigned from franchise norms to target Vita's perv audience. I've argued that the series has always used sex to sell - no matter the platform, and low and behold, the spiritual successor from the original development studio is doing just that, but on 3DS.

There are plenty of boob games and erotic visual novels on Vita, but they're basically white noise. With the exception of Senran Kagura, none of them sell any large amount of units. Minecraft and Terraria on Vita in Japan have sold more than that. If you're going to go for a stereotype on the entire Vita userbase, go with hunting action games. At least those sell.

Oh and Pennywise, let's not try to pretend that perv games started with Vita. They've been around forever, and Luminous Arc could've easily used skin to sell UMDs on PSP or PS2.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I was going to reply but Takao said it better than I would of:

My Stella Glow jab was at the idea of Luminous Arc Infinity having been drastically redesigned from franchise norms to target Vita's perv audience. I've argued that the series has always used sex to sell - no matter the platform, and low and behold, the spiritual successor from the original development studio is doing just that, but on 3DS.

There are plenty of boob games and erotic visual novels on Vita, but they're basically white noise. With the exception of Senran Kagura, none of them sell any large amount of units. Minecraft and Terraria on Vita in Japan have sold more than that. If you're going to go for a stereotype on the entire Vita userbase, go with hunting action games. At least those sell.

Oh and Pennywise, let's not try to pretend that perv games started with Vita. They've been around forever, and Luminous Arc could've easily used skin to sell UMDs on PSP or PS2.

I agree with both.
I was simply stunned by the initial Psycho replies (that was the reason why I asked ;p ) that seemed to imply that 3DS audience and average product were as sexualized as the Vita ones.

mao2

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201503/10073583.html

Sega is a new publisher so I'm really wondering what happened to Imageepoch..

Edit: There's a thread about this btw.
Ohh, it's great that Sega picked it up. Hopefully it'll do well.

are you seriously denying the "otaku"* demographic present on Vita? because I think that's the main reason why we see many project on that platform imho, equalizing the 3DS and Vita target age?
Or did I miss something "against" Pennywise?

*sorry if this is not the best term.
Pennywise83 said that the female characters in Luminous Arc Infinity became sexier or whatever because it's now on Vita. However, the series always had sexy female characters since it started life on DS, so it's a silly claim.

L~A

Megaton-Kyū Musashi seems to be about warships... doesn't really sound like a cross-media project at all, unless they're trying to have their own KanColle or something :p

They did say they're announcing a (PS4?) game at E3 2015. That should be interesting. I don't recall them announcing anything at E3 before ever.

Level-5 typically had their own conference around late Summer / early Fall where they announced plenty of titles (Layton vs. Wright, Ni no Kuni, etc.). Last year they didn't have the conference, and there was the YW craziness. I'm expecting some news sooner or later, concerning handheld and mobile games mainly.

duckroll

I honestly don't know why you guys are arguing with him. Pennywise83 is an expert on many things. He knows how to define a Monster Hunter clone better than people who actually play those games, he knows more about ImageEpoch's budgets and finances than the CEO, and he clearly knows more about how perverted each and every 3DS and Vita game is without even playing any of them. I'm constantly in awe of his knowledge and the depths of understanding he shows in everything he talks about.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I honestly don't know why you guys are arguing with him. Pennywise83 is an expert on many things. He knows how to define a Monster Hunter clone better than people who actually play those games, he knows more about ImageEpoch's budgets and finances than the CEO, and he clearly knows more about how perverted each and every 3DS and Vita game is without even playing any of them. I'm constantly in awe of his knowledge and the depths of understanding he shows in everything he talks about.

My God you just broke millions of sarcasm meters with this post.

Never argued I was an expert on those things, unless stating an opinion or an impression about something equated being an exprt (in that case, I am...?). You can check by yourself the original posts.
  • Monster Hunter clones: I just said that some games might have been developed in order to attract the MH fanbase; some elements were similar, in particular when promoting those games (multi co-op, large monsters, fantasy setting). Then, of course, many things differ, such as gameplay, focus on the story, and so on.
  • As for imageepoch, my starting point was that it wasn't reasonable to give all faults to 3DS games, because *perhaps* some self-published PSP games didn't sell as expected. Also, imageepoch stated expectations of 50k for Girl Gift RPG and you said the game should have sold, instead, 60k-100k... So you also know more than the CEO ;)
  • In terms of "perv" games, I just said that, as far as I remember, Luminous Arc entries on DS weren't as explicit as the new one on PSV seems to be. If I have to get all the jokes for that, it's fine.

why can't I hold all the sarcasm in this post

duckroll

Also, imageepoch stated expectations of 50k for Girl Gift RPG and you said the game should have sold, instead, 60k-100k... So you also know more than the CEO ;)

Where did they state that? I mean it's simple maths, I've provided a source where the CEO says the budget for the game was about 2 million dollars. The game retails for 6279yen, so if they make 40 bucks per unit shipped to retailers, at 50,000 the game is just breaking even. I would really like to see the source if it's true, because I love making fun of Mikage's failures. :p

mao2

Where did they state that? I mean it's simple maths, I've provided a source where the CEO says the budget for the game was about 2 million dollars. The game retails for 6279yen, so if they make 40 bucks per unit shipped to retailers, at 50,000 the game is just breaking even. I would really like to see the source if it's true, because I love making fun of Mikage's failures. :p
Even if the 50K number is true, Toushin Toshi only managed to sell about half that amount. And that's way less and any of their titles released on PSP.

But nooo... it's probably PSP's fault LOL.

Indeed, it was 70k: http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/entry-11757541239.html I switched D4 PSV and Girl Gift RPG expectations.

Even if the 50K number is true, Toushin Toshi only managed to sell about half that amount. And that's way less and any of their titles released on PSP.

But nooo... it's probably PSP's fault LOL.

Look, I always tried to be nice with people misreading what I wrote, but it's becoming a bit annoying. I never ever wrote "it was probably PSP's fault". I always wrote that given subsequent events, it might also be that some of their self-published games haven't sold as expected. Nothing more, nothing less.

mao2

Look, I always tried to be nice with people misreading what I wrote, but it's becoming a bit annoying. I never ever wrote "it was probably PSP's fault". I always wrote that given subsequent events, it might also be that some of their self-published games haven't sold as expected. Nothing more, nothing less.
This is what you wrote man. Even without any source, you were quick to say that "some of them [PSP games] needed more than barely crack the 100k mark to break even".
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=152410181&postcount=73
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=152419931&postcount=82

If this isn't trying to shift the blame to PSP, I don't know what it is.

Darius

Banned

Wasn´t it actually 196 million yen, that would be just 1.6m $ not 2m. Which isn´t exactly a huge amount for a basically new game based on an old game. It would be interesting to know the budgets of their other projects, but I wouldn´t be surprised if this budget is more on the lower side even for them.

This is what you wrote man. Even without any source, you were quick to say that "some of them [PSP games] needed more than barely crack the 100k mark to break even".
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=152410181&postcount=73
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=152419931&postcount=82

I didn't say that "PSP probably was the fault of imageepoch's problems". I said that probably those game might have had higher expectations, which is not something unreasonable given all the subsequent events. The connection between my sentences and your "joke" is purely an artifact of yours.

duckroll

For those interested in more Imageepoch business developments, there are some details from the producer of Stella Glow in this week's Famitsu:

- Development on Stella Glow was completed in November last year. They were planning on releasing the game in Spring this year, but they ran into problems with regards to sales and hence had to stop promoting the game and went into radio silence.

- They had talks with Sega (who has been handling distribution for ImageEpoch published titles so far), and after a lot of hard work, managed to get the game announced again.

So yeah. It sounds like ImageEpoch is fucking broke and had to sell off a completed game which they couldn't publish to their distribution partner.

Wasn´t it actually 196 million yen, that would be just 1.6m $ not 2m. Which isn´t exactly a huge amount for a basically new game based on an old game. It would be interesting to know the budgets of their other projects, but I wouldn´t be surprised if this budget is more on the lower side even for them.

The exchange rate changes so much that it is not helpful to do a current conversion, and even so it doesn't create the right financial picture. But for what it's worth, the USD/JPY exchange rate in Nov 2013 would put 196 million yen at 1.96 million USD. :p

monpiece

Banned
I have thought about the possibility of someone else picking up Stella Glow if it were near completion and Imageepoch bankrupt. These news of today confirm that Imageepoch is really broke.

No hopes for Time and Eternity 2. Oh, wait, maybe Bamco is making it with another developer as we speak.

I have thought about the possibility of someone else picking up Stella Glow if it were near completion and Imageepoch bankrupt. These news of today confirm that Imageepoch is really broke.

No hopes for Time and Eternity 2. Oh, wait, maybe Bamco is making it with another developer as we speak.

Why would someone hope for this?

mao2

For those interested in more Imageepoch business developments, there are some details from the producer of Stella Glow in this week's Famitsu:

- Development on Stella Glow was completed in November last year. They were planning on releasing the game in Spring this year, but they ran into problems with regards to sales and hence had to stop promoting the game and went into radio silence.

- They had talks with Sega (who has been handling distribution for ImageEpoch published titles so far), and after a lot of hard work, managed to get the game announced again.

So yeah. It sounds like ImageEpoch is fucking broke and had to sell off a completed game which they couldn't publish to their distribution partner.
Thanks. I wonder how long Imageepoch will continue to operate. If they become bankrupt, I hope Sega or other publishers will pick up their self-published titles.

Oregano

I'm glad Sega picked up the game so it won't be completely forgotten.

I think the only way IE could survive is if it was a surprise hit, which wasn't going to happen anyway, but the game is going to be releasing close to Langrisser and (more importantly) Fire Emblem. It would have done better if they could have got it out.

At least the production values look pretty good. One of the better looking third party 3DS games IMO.

I wonder why Sega is waiting until June 4th to release it. Maybe they just think it's a good time, still, a completed game that's not out until at least 3 months out (or whenever it was picked up)? Odd.

monpiece

Banned
I wonder why Sega is waiting until June 4th to release it. Maybe they just think it's a good time, still, a completed game that's not out until at least 3 months out (or whenever it was picked up)? Odd.

Probably there are things left to do other than development itself. Besides, they need some time to properly promote the game, otherwise it would not make any sense picking it up and leaving it to die.

mao2

Apparently My Game News Flash's Jin leaked some info regarding Stella Glow's status while streaming Dragon Quest Heroes back in February 27.

Someone asked Jin when [Ryohei] Mikage's new title will be out, and he replied by saying that Mikage probably won't be releasing any more new titles. The last game that he's involved in (Stella Glow) has been sold to Sega, so perhaps Sega will release it.
http://blog.hokanko-alt.com/archives/43742832.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuwCIsnFJTY&feature=youtu.be&t=20m35s
御影さんの新作いつ出るの?御影さんの新作はもう出ないんじゃないかな。御影さんが最後に携わった奴はセガに売ったんで多分セガから出る。

Apparently My Game News Flash's Jin leaked some info regarding Stella Glow's status while streaming Dragon Quest Heroes back in February 27.

Someone asked Jin when [Ryohei] Mikage's new title will be out, and he replied by saying that Mikage probably won't be releasing any more new titles. The last game that he's involved in (Stella Glow) has been sold to Sega, so perhaps Sega will release it.

Wow. That would've been some find back then. :p

hiska-kun

Tsutaya's Report

- Dragon Quest Heroes for PS3 tops the charts as it was expected. The first half of the week there were stock problems, but for the second half a new shipment arrived.
- Etrian Mystery Dungeon (3DS) debuted on the second spot and was sold out at many places. With enough stock the game could've topped the charts.

For the next week:

- Yakuza 0 for PS3 and PS4 should be first and second respectively. More pre-orders than Yakuza Isshin, a bigger opening is expected.
- Mario Party 10 (WiiU) should follow, now that the commercials are running the interest is growing. Attention for Digimon Cyber Sleuth (PSV) too.

http://mantan-web.jp/2015/03/10/20150310dog00m200026000c.html?mode=pc

Eolz

Tsutaya's Report

- Dragon Quest Heroes for PS3 tops the charts as it was expected. The first half of the week there were stock problems, but for the second half a new shipment arrived.
- Etrian Mystery Dungeon (3DS) debuted on the second spot and was sold out at many places. With enough stock the game could've topped the charts.

For the next week:

- Yakuza 0 for PS3 and PS4 should be first and second respectively. More pre-orders than Yakuza Isshin, a bigger opening is expected.
- Mario Party 10 (WiiU) should follow, now that the commercials are running the interest is growing. Attention for Digimon Cyber Sleuth (PSV) too.

Wow, didn't expect Etrian to be above DQS PS4 tbh. Any news on this one?
The "next week" part is nice to hear.

duckroll

Yeah I expect EOMD to be ~50k depending on how much they managed to ship, DQH PS3 to be a little above that, and DQH PS4 to be below that. Fits with the 65k/30k breakdown I suggested earlier.

casiopao

Sayonara IE.T_T

bomba collection 2013-2015

Toriko: Gourmet Battle!
61arMhruxgL._AA160_.jpg

Doki Doki! PreCure Narikiri Life!
6171QEZtfpL._AA160_.jpg

Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger: Game de Kaburincho!!
61LCgx02BKL._AA160_.jpg

Mushi Bugyou
61gmxL7-xqL._AA160_.jpg

Exstetra
61ZHFr8ujAL._AA160_.jpg

Model Oshare Audition: Dream Girl
61rbZHETYFL._AA160_.jpg

Tamagotchi no Doki Doki Dream Omisecchi
51jp75tbnLL._AA160_.jpg

Doraemon: Shin Nobita no Daimakyou
61PXI4WScsL._AA160_.jpg

Detective Conan: Phantom Rhapsody
61uqWNJ7KYL._AA160_.jpg

Touch Detective 3
61yJz1c8BEL._AA160_.jpg

Happiness Charge PreCure! Kawa-Run Collection
61hmJqou2tL._AA160_.jpg

Gaist Crusher God
61YoJau83GL._AA160_.jpg

Majin Bone: Jikan to Kuukan no Majin
610X7ajgieL._AA160_.jpg

Cooking Mama: Watashi no Sweets Shop (0-20%)
61ZfBZ2T7EL._AA160_.jpg

Fujiko F. Fujio Characters Daishuugou! SF Dotabata Party!! (0-20%)
619INpmCADL._AA160_.jpg

Dolly Kanon Doki Doki Tokimeki Himitsu no Ongaku Katsudou Start Desu!!
61WRPQYWbJL._AA160_.jpg

next ?
61mEgMPo06L._AA160_.jpg

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Tsutaya's Report

For the next week:

Cool to hear about EO, and hopefully Yakuza & Mario Party do well.

Some updates on release dates for Warner Bros. titles in Japan?
http://www.4gamer.net/games/249/G024974/20150310072/

If someone who knows Japanese can summarize better than Google Translate...

7/2 - Batman: Arkham Knight (PS4) (along with sales expectations for the title? Hoping to hit 150K LTD)

Lego Batman 3 - PS4 / PS3 / Wii U / 3DS - 2015 (4/2?)
Lego Jurassic World - PS4 / PS3 / Wii U / 3DS - 2015 - plans to be released alongside Jurassic World movie (movie on 8/7)
Lego Ninja Go: Shadow of Ronin?
Lego Marvel Super Heroes - PS4 / PS3 / Wii U / 3DS - to be released alongside Avengers 2 (July-August)

From Google Translate: "And third measures , but indoor attractions scheduled to open this summer , " Legoland Discovery Center Osaka " . Nakahama Mr. expressed as " 2015 is the year that LEGO swells big " , showed enthusiasm want to push up the " LEGO game " series each title to 100,000 scale of sales ."

Vena

So yeah, Etrian Mystery Dungeon is really supply-constrained, Atlus even apologised for the shortages. Guess the game was way more successful than they expected.

And wow at Stella Glow. Maybe I should say The Last Guardian is pretty much dead at this point, and the next day, Sony re-veals the game with actual release date, ha ha ha.

Do we have an idea for the initial shipment?

Also, we all know that The Last Guardian will be announced at E3 2017... by Nintendo.

hiska-kun

If Chris1964 has internet connection problems today, I won't be able to make the thread, either. I have to work until late.

This week we will see if the Yakuza series started to decline.

Hahahaha. Well done.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
This week we will see if the Yakuza series started to decline.

Careful though, Yakuza 0 while being a main entry is still a prequel. And if I'm not mistaken prequels are less strong than sequels on the markets. At least in the west.

Careful though, Yakuza 0 while being a main entry is still a prequel. And if I'm not mistaken prequels are less strong than sequels on the markets. At least in the west.

RE0 sold 400k units in Japan, more than REmake (267k) and RE4 (220k); RE4 sold also around 460k on PS2, so not much better than 0. Ace Combat Zero sold less than 5 on PS2 (200k vs. 294k), while MGS3 slightly more than MGS2 (819k vs. 798k), though marketed as 3 and not 0. Peace Walker, though, still a prequel and sold better than 4 (791k vs. 700k), but on a more popular platform and actually 4 got way higher thanks to bundles and Best Releases. The second Layton trilogy was a prequel, and it had a severe decline over the first trilogy, but that was more because of franchise fatigue.

So I think that in the end it'd be reasonable to expect a drop, but if fanbase is there it should not be that dramatic. The most important thing to note will be the split PS3 / PS4.

Top Bottom