• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 9, 2015 (Feb 23 - Mar 01)

L~A

If Chris1964 has internet connection problems today, I won't be able to make the thread, either. I have to work until late.

What? Putting work over making the Media Create thread?!

unacceptable_lemongrab_and_agnes_by_dodomir23-d7b9lrh.jpg

.... just kidding of course. Good luck at work, and thanks for making the thread the past 2 weeks.

duckroll

Careful though, Yakuza 0 while being a main entry is still a prequel. And if I'm not mistaken prequels are less strong than sequels on the markets. At least in the west.

I don't think this holds water considering how Of The End (Dead Souls) was a fucking zombie spin off, and yet it sold on the same level as the other mainline Yakuza games in the end. Clearly there was a lot of love for the modern cast and setting. 0 should do well if the love is still there, if it's not, then that's a sign of decline.

Careful though, Yakuza 0 while being a main entry is still a prequel. And if I'm not mistaken prequels are less strong than sequels on the markets. At least in the west.
Zero is cannon and unlike the other Yakuza spin offs, so if it underperforms then one can say that Yakuza series began to decline.

L~A

Media Create:

PS4 33,753
New3DS LL 21,402
Vita 19,757
New3DS 7,661
PS3 7,645
Wii U 7,379
3DS 2,566
3DS LL 2,321
Vita TV 621
Xbox One 445

Etrian Mystery Dungeon: 65k (shortages).

Was expecting 32k for PS4. Was quite close.

Famitsu has Etrian MD topping the chart with 72k: http://www.famitsu.com/biz/ranking/

Also nice debut for the new Prince of Tennis: 23,272; FuRyu must be happy.

{28/02/2002} Prince of Tennis [PS] - 58,790 / 133,407
{25/04/2002} Prince of Tennis: Genius Boys Academy [GBA] - 101,925 / 231,947
{26/09/2002} Prince of Tennis: Sweat & Tears [PS] - 46,646 / 72,796
{12/12/2002} Prince of Tennis: Aim at the Victory! [GBA] - 42,150 / 96,133
{20/02/2003} Prince of Tennis 2003: Cool Blue / Passion Red [GBA] - 82,856 / 172,134
{24/07/2003} Prince of Tennis: Smash Hit! [PS2] - 50,304 / 94,491
{25/09/2003} Prince of Tennis: Sweat & Tears 2 [PS2] - 21,049 / 41,129
{30/10/2003} Prince of Tennis: Kiss of Prince - Ice / Flame [PS2] - 17,413 / 22,178
{18/12/2003} Prince of Tennis: Smash Hit! 2 [PS2] - 34,928 / 79,694
{12/02/2004} Prince of Tennis: Love of Prince - Sweet / Bitter [PS2] - 12,987 / 17,473
{18/03/2004} Prince of Tennis 2004: Glorious Gold / Stylish Silver [GBA] - 50,193 / 95,156
{16/09/2004} Prince of Tennis: Form the Strongest Team! [PS2] - 30,565 / 53,650
{09/12/2004} Prince of Tennis: Rush & Dream [PS2] - 17,190 / 24,481
{30/12/2004} Prince of Tennis 2005: Crystal Drive [DS] - _ / 51,658
{22/12/2005} Prince of Tennis: Prince of School Festival [PS2] - 17,597 / _
{25/01/2007} Prince of Tennis: Doki-Doki Survival [PS2] - 14,604 / 24,680
{20/12/2007} Prince of Tennis: Driving Smash! Side Genius [DS] - _ / 21,578
{24/01/2008} Prince of Tennis: Driving Smash! Side King [DS] - 11,978 / 25,505
{05/03/2009} Prince of Tennis: Prince of Doubles - Girls, Be Gracious! [DS] - 13,290 / _
{26/03/2009} Prince of Tennis: Prince of Doubles - Boys, Be Glorious! [DS] - 5,900 / _
{11/02/2010} Prince of Tennis: Prince of School Festival - More Sweet Edition [DS] - 45,454 / 54,180
{05/03/2015} The Prince of Tennis II: Go to the Top [3DS] - 23,272 / 23,272

I don't think this holds water considering how Of The End (Dead Souls) was a fucking zombie spin off, and yet it sold on the same level as the other mainline Yakuza games in the end. Clearly there was a lot of love for the modern cast and setting. 0 should do well if the love is still there, if it's not, then that's a sign of decline.

Dead Souls sold really well, and better than Kenzan, but only slighty better than Ishin (417k vs. 385k) and anyway worsers than 2 (572k... 800k with the budget version), 3 (509k), 4 (557k) and 5 (583k). Also, it seems Dead Souls didn't receive a budget version, while the others did.

Foshy

That's a decent hold for PS4 if we consider how Vita and Wii U responded to boosts by big titles. Of course, it's because the next few weeks have a lot of releases too.

Aki-at

Actually Of the End is off by about 100,000 units;

Yakuza: 345,323
Yakuza 2: 572,917
Yakuza 3: 509,223
Yakuza 4: 557,771
Yakuza: Of the End: 413,172
Yakuza 5: 557,788

(Obviously excluded budget re-releases sales.)

And I think Ishin sold closer to Dead Souls than it did to the mainline entries too despite having series favourites like Akiyama and Mine.

Although I'm not saying that the series decline might not have started since it's a very real possibility (Wither it be because of series fatigue, console decline or a mixture of both.) but I think if it sells around the 400,000 mark then there is a chance that the lower sales are down to not progressing the story forward.

And I think Ishin sold closer to Dead Souls than it did to the mainline entries too despite having series favourites like Akiyama and Mine.

Although I'm not saying that the series decline might not have started since it's a very real possibility (Wither it be because of series fatigue, console decline or a mixture of both.) but I think if it sells around the 400,000 mark then there is a chance that the lower sales are down to not progressing the story forward.

Famitsu has 5 at 583k right now.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
DQH PS3 - 68k
DQH PS4 - 33k

Etrian MD is increasing over the last entry, though this is a spin-off vs. remake comparison. If Atlus can improve shipments, there might be better-than-usual legs.

duckroll

That's a good catch. I've always seen Of The End as closer to the main series because at the time it was released, the spinoff comparison was with Kenzan, which was significantly lower at <300k. Ishin improved on that but didn't get to 400k, but it's definitely close enough that it's a better comparison to Of The End. I didn't actually realize how close it was.

But prequel or not, I feel that if we're looking at a comparison with how Yakuza transited to the PS3 generation, the expectations are probably there for 0 to perform better than it's probably going to. The jump in sales from Kenzan to Yakuza 3 was huge, and it showed that the fanbase actually jumped on to the new platform. If the sales for Yakuza 0 is similar or just a little higher than Ishin, it would be two titles in a row of lowered sales.

I agree with the assessment that the franchise feels to have stagnated though. Not just storywise, but it feels like they're not confident as to what they want the franchise to be next. By remaining as a PS3/PS4 title, it shows they don't trust the userbase of the PS4 just yet, and by following up a spinoff with a prequel, it also shows they're not certain about the future direction of the series.

monpiece

Banned
Etrian MD is increasing over the last entry, though this is a spin-off vs. remake comparison. If Atlus can improve shipments, there might be better-than-usual legs.

May be just me, but I think it is expected that "spin-offs" (EO spin-offs are much like the numbered games) sell better than remakes, especially from series that get yearly releases.

duckroll

We shouldn't just look at EOMD increasing over Untold 2. That is actually less relevant. I think it's more interesting to compare EOMD with other MD games. This is the best opening for MD games for a long time. The only remotely recent ones which have done better are the Pokemon MD games (huge brand), the first DS Shiren. Not worth mentioning the older stuff because it was a different era back then.

This definitely shows that EO is still a brand which has strong value, because MD has shown that as Shiren alone, it can't bring in the numbers anymore, but this definitely could hold its own.

Aki-at

That's a good catch. I've always seen Of The End as closer to the main series because at the time it was released, the spinoff comparison was with Kenzan, which was significantly lower at <300k. Ishin improved on that but didn't get to 400k, but it's definitely close enough that it's a better comparison to Of The End. I didn't actually realize how close it was.

But prequel or not, I feel that if we're looking at a comparison with how Yakuza transited to the PS3 generation, the expectations are probably there for 0 to perform better than it's probably going to. The jump in sales from Kenzan to Yakuza 3 was huge, and it showed that the fanbase actually jumped on to the new platform. If the sales for Yakuza 0 is similar or just a little higher than Ishin, it would be two titles in a row of lowered sales.

I agree with the assessment that the franchise feels to have stagnated though. Not just storywise, but it feels like they're not confident as to what they want the franchise to be next. By remaining as a PS3/PS4 title, it shows they don't trust the userbase of the PS4 just yet, and by following up a spinoff with a prequel, it also shows they're not certain about the future direction of the series.

Oh SEGA definitely has some crazy figures in mind for 0 I feel, they expected both Ishin and Phantasy Star Nova to do 500,000 and that came back to bite them in the backside.

I have to agree with the final assessment though. When you actually see the series progression from 2 to 3 with shiny new graphics and a better battle system, to 4 with the introduction of different characters and fighting styles, to 5 with 3 never before explored cities and probably the most new content in the series' history... It certainly feels like SEGA has been a lot more restrained in what they're doing to the series.

Ishin went back to a sole character playable (And I think the sidemissions were the lowest in the series since 3, need to go back and check) whilst 0 did expand on a few minigames but not the sort of expansion we saw in the fifth title. It seems SEGA's hesitant to go all in and instead relying on fan love for the characters (The entire cast in Ishin, the older cast in 0.) rather than on improving where the series is going to go here from both a story and gameplay standpoint. I'd imagine the reason might just be they're not quite sure on the investment needed for another mainline Yakuza game and if they want to pour that in without a healthy Playstation 4 userbase.

Top Bottom