• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Medical Marijuana, those that are qualified, what do you think of it?

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
So, I'm thinking about taking the plunge. It's a rather daunting and pricey undertaking in conjunction with all of the other things that are absolute requirements in life, but I wanted to see what GAF's opinion on it all was.

Some background: I'm in Pennsylvania, currently, so there's like 23 possible qualifying diagnoses, and you can pretty much intake any way you want, with the caveat that straight smoking it is technically illegal. I've been battling with depression and anxiety for half of my life, and I'm quite open about the fact that I was an addict along the harder lines in years past- methamphetamines, heroin, ecstasy, percocet, acid, fentanyl, vicodin, nicotine, suboxone. I've tried essentially everything, with glass being what stuck most (primarily snorted, sometimes smoked or hot railed, but I've been entirely clean for two years)

I'm diagnosed and treated for depression and anxiety, I take sertraline, wellbutrin, and gabapentin, but the anxiety is still pretty crippling at times. It's the type of deal where I need constant validation about things that are important to me, lest I feel like they're going to change up or bite me in the ass. Deciding not to buy things because the pro of having the item is outweighed by the con of possibly making an ass out of myself at the register. Things like that, that, individually are minor hindrances but in totality really alter my trajectory and make me miss out on opportunities. My circadian rhythm is all but fucked, as well.

I've been smoking weed on and off (mostly on) from the time I was 16 to the time I was 26ish, haven't touched it in years, but looking back, I was the most productive (ironic, I know) when I was regularly partaking, so I'm considering taking the steps to get a medical card.

Has it worked out for you? Does it noticeably improve your day to day? Is it absolutely cost prohibitive or is it pretty easy to budget in? Having a federal establishment give more reliable quality versus Bubba's trailer with a half o cut with K2? Tell me your stories, give me your opinions. Puff puff pass that shit on to my eager brain.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Works been hard last few months and I started to take some thc mints. They kinda mellow me out when I get agitated so don’t stress so much.

I don’t go crazy with it (2 mints a work day) so cost is negligible once you get the card. Sure it would be more if you have a high tolerance but never partook before so light dose does me fine.

TheDreadBaron

Gold Member
I smoke a vape pen every day as needed. It’s legal here and being able to reliably get consistent product is definitely a step up from Bubba. Depending on the strain it can screw with your productivity, but it can also help mellow you out. It’s gotta be properly balanced, too much can make the anxiety worse. I think you don’t have anything to lose by trying to get a medical card, people can absolutely overdo smoking weed (guilty) but there are significant benefits and the risk is minimal. It aint gonna ruin your life like any of those other substances you mentioned. Good luck!

l2ounD

This sounds like a bad idea...

1. Your prior usage
2. If you have to ask about it being cost prohibitive
3. All the meds you're taking
4. There's really nothing medical about it, just a license to buy

If thats what you really want, theres not much stopping you. But you already have years of experience with it, you should know what to expect. And if you've been clean this long, it would be a shame to break that streak. But whatever path you choose, hope you feel better.

Nydius

When I moved to Oklahoma in 2020 I was stoked to learn they had medical marijuana. Like you, I've got crippling anxiety with a side of panic disorder but unlike you I'm unmedicated for any of it due to not having regular insurance. I got my license as soon as possible. Since then it's been... a mixed bag.

I'll start with the pros:
I don't have to worry about quality simply because all the growers and dispensaries have to be licensed and there are some pretty strong penalties for selling unlicensed stuff. There are also plenty of shops available with different product, and myriad ways of enjoying it. One of the dispensaries I frequent has a literal Slurpee machine and sells THC infused slushies. Pretty damn sweet.

But quality and availability have been the only upsides.

Now the cons:

They call it 'medical' but there's nothing medical about it. Good luck finding anyone who can recommend strains to you based on your medical conditions. Most dispensaries are run like Starbucks-for-Weed: The budtenders don't know much beyond limited terpene strain profiles and THC content. The onus will be on you to figure out which strains might be the best for your conditions. You'll need to do a lot of research on sites like Leafly to figure out which strains you want to try. Every time I've asked for recommendations, they either point me to my doctor (who, in turn, points me back to the dispensary) or they give me some anecdote about a friend-of-a-friend who has a similar condition and swears by [insert strain here].

It has been my experience that far too many dispensaries here focus solely on THC content. They want to sell the highest THC stuff because people just want to get baked. It's difficult to find CBD/THC hybrids around here or higher CBD content. In fact when I visited one of my dispensaries asking for CBD/THC in a 1:1 or 1:2 ratio, the budtender literally laughed at me. (I didn't go back there.)

While quality might be better, consistency is still iffy. For example, you could buy the same strain from two different growers and have two radically different experiences due to differences in potency and terpene content. Blue Dream is one of my favorite daytime strains; I have two different versions from two different growers both sold at the same dispensary... and one is nothing like the other.

Beyond that, I found that Delta-9-THC, especially in the higher concentrations sold these days, can sometimes make my anxiety much worse, especially without CBD to counterbalance it. I tried using Delta-8 vapes and gummies and had a much better experience. Less anxious, more mellow, fewer side effects. Since Delta-8 exists in a legal gray area, you could give that a try first.

Also, I would strongly suggest discussing with your doctor before trying any THC product especially since you're on sertraline. You really don't want to risk serotonin syndrome which is a possible interaction between THC and SSRIs.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
When I moved to Oklahoma in 2020 I was stoked to learn they had medical marijuana. Like you, I've got crippling anxiety with a side of panic disorder but unlike you I'm unmedicated for any of it due to not having regular insurance. I got my license as soon as possible. Since then it's been... a mixed bag.

I'll start with the pros:
I don't have to worry about quality simply because all the growers and dispensaries have to be licensed and there are some pretty strong penalties for selling unlicensed stuff. There are also plenty of shops available with different product, and myriad ways of enjoying it. One of the dispensaries I frequent has a literal Slurpee machine and sells THC infused slushies. Pretty damn sweet.

But quality and availability have been the only upsides.

Now the cons:

They call it 'medical' but there's nothing medical about it. Good luck finding anyone who can recommend strains to you based on your medical conditions. Most dispensaries are run like Starbucks-for-Weed: The budtenders don't know much beyond limited terpene strain profiles and THC content. The onus will be on you to figure out which strains might be the best for your conditions. You'll need to do a lot of research on sites like Leafly to figure out which strains you want to try. Every time I've asked for recommendations, they either point me to my doctor (who, in turn, points me back to the dispensary) or they give me some anecdote about a friend-of-a-friend who has a similar condition and swears by [insert strain here].

It has been my experience that far too many dispensaries here focus solely on THC content. They want to sell the highest THC stuff because people just want to get baked. It's difficult to find CBD/THC hybrids around here or higher CBD content. In fact when I visited one of my dispensaries asking for CBD/THC in a 1:1 or 1:2 ratio, the budtender literally laughed at me. (I didn't go back there.)

While quality might be better, consistency is still iffy. For example, you could buy the same strain from two different growers and have two radically different experiences due to differences in potency and terpene content. Blue Dream is one of my favorite daytime strains; I have two different versions from two different growers both sold at the same dispensary... and one is nothing like the other.

Beyond that, I found that Delta-9-THC, especially in the higher concentrations sold these days, can sometimes make my anxiety much worse, especially without CBD to counterbalance it. I tried using Delta-8 vapes and gummies and had a much better experience. Less anxious, more mellow, fewer side effects. Since Delta-8 exists in a legal gray area, you could give that a try first.

Also, I would strongly suggest discussing with your doctor before trying any THC product especially since you're on sertraline. You really don't want to risk serotonin syndrome which is a possible interaction between THC and SSRIs.

For the last bit, I figure it would be a negligible risk because I'm on the lowest does possible of everything I take, and I'm not planning to hot box my entire house or anything, but it's definitely something that I've pondered, too.

overpriced

They are kinda pricey, especially if you've been buying your weed from a decent connection. I usually just shop the sales, of which there are plenty.
I've got a dozen dispensaries within a 15-20 minute drive of my house, and they all are competing so daily sales are always on.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I got a card in NJ a few years ago and have stuck mostly to flower and a vape pen here and there. For me it’s just a way to unwind at the end of the day and chill.

Getting the card is stupid easy, OP. If you want me to point you in the direction of a place that will get you one with a 5 min facetime call, PM me.

JetBlackPanda

Gold Member
Got a medical card in Utah of all places and its was easy as hell. Its nice to be somewhat legal and buy from a business and not a van. Mainly Vape and edibles for me.

Khalifa Kush is some good shit to unwind at the end of the day.

I have a lifelong chronic (pun intended) disease and cannabis is much easier on my system than painkillers.

Delta 8 is way cheaper. I've been consuming it in edible form on and off for awhile. Anyone know the health hazards? I hope that shit doesn't end up killing me.

Medical marijuana always seemed like a joke to me. I support it because I want to see it legalized, but getting high seems to just exchange one problem for another.

Top Bottom