• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meet The Switch Controller That Promises 'No Drifting, Ever' (Child of xbox and switch controller)

kingfey

Banned
Car Drifting GIF

Rickyiez

Oh this will likely be my next controller , seems like its already widely purchasable here widely in Asia .

I'm so tired with all the drifting I had with previous Xbox controllers

Banned
Yeah it's awful but to be fair, all of the current big 3 controllers have atrocious d-pads.

at least the XBox dpad is precise... but it's way too clicky and loud for sure.

the Razer Wolverine has a surprisingly good d-pad (the mechanism feels like a fight stick), but I have severe trust issues with 3rd party controllers, even the "good" ones often have deadzone or sensitivity curve issues -_-
also everything from Razer I ever used broke within like a year or so...

Last edited:

FeldMonster

ALL controllers with analog sticks have units that get drift - Xbox, PlayStation, etc. This new controller will too.

But, yes, the Pro controller seems to have a more typical failure rate and nothing like the JoyCon drift.
Isn't the whole point of this controller that they are a using a Hall Effect sensor (i.e. non-contact) instead of the mechanisn that wears in other modern controllers.

You wish.

And even when it doesn’t, the D-pad usually has issues.
You got one with drift bro? My two pro controllers are going strong, all my joycons are fucked though, but at least I didn't pay for them lol.

The d pad thing I thought was an early issue that they fixed?

Banned
so their revolutionary tech here is using Hall Sensors?
like... the Dreamcast controller... that can totally drift too...

stick drift has exactly 2 causes:
1: The part that measures the stick position has a defect like metal flaking off
2: the feathers holding the stick up straight when you let it go loosen up

as far as I understand their controller only fixes that first issue... but not the second... right?

Last edited:
I always wonder why Nintendo use the same form factor as the Xbox controller for their pro controller
guess it is really the best form factor for a controller

Banned
I always wonder why Nintendo use the same form factor as the Xbox controller for their pro controller

because they were pushed to that because people are stubborn with their layout and don't want to learn a new one even tho it is superior...

nintendo_wuparsk1_wii_u_pro_controller_1084364.jpg

this layout is better for many reasons, but the most important one is that both of your thumbs are relatively straight,
making precise movements in the 4 cardinal directions way easier.

but people simply couldn't get arsed to get used to it

Smether

I'm seeing available on Amazon, albeit through a third party seller, at the official $70 price point. Although my procontroller works perfectly, I see myself getting one of these :)

nkarafo

It is. There is a bigger gap between each thumb which means you can have wider movement before bumping on each other, especially if you have big hands.

You also have a different level of control on each hand, that's why you get right handed and left handed people. Making the design less symmetrical reflects on that.

Personally, even though my first dual analog controller was Sony's (because of the PS2) and played with it for many years before i got my first XBOX console, i still ended up loving the hold and feel of the XBOX pad much more.

because they were pushed to that because people are stubborn with their layout and don't want to learn a new one even tho it is superior...

this layout is better for many reasons, but the most important one is that both of your thumbs are relatively straight,

I could never get used to the face buttons being lower than the analog stick.

Last edited:

Banned
I could never get used to the face buttons being lower than the analog stick.

I got used to it really quickly. I played CoD Ghost on Wii U back in the day, and after an hour it was absolutely no issue anymore.
meanwhile having both sticks on the top felt amazing for shooters

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
this is funny cause it suggests Xbox/PS controllers don't get drift. Of all the controllers I've owned the only ones that haven't drifted were my Switch ones :messenger_tears_of_joy: both joycons and pro model. My Xbox and PS4 controllers have drift. I went through a few Xbox replacements and I had to buy a new DS4 recently. I still have joycons from my launch Switch in 2017 and they play fine,

I prefer offset sticks way more it just feels so much better cause my thumbs line up like that
for me the best Nintendo controller is still the OG Gamecube controller layout with the offset sticks

Mattyp

Gold Member
Deadset looks like they’re using the Microsoft moulding. Nothing wrong with that btw comfiest controller there is.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
this is a good news actually, if a third party can do so, hopefully Sony and Microsoft would utilized the tech for their controllers as well.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
You got one with drift bro? My two pro controllers are going strong, all my joycons are fucked though, but at least I didn't pay for them lol.

The d pad thing I thought was an early issue that they fixed?
I had to fix the stick not once, but twice. Xenoblade 2 edition.

The D-Pad issue was never solved, that was just the internet being the internet and spreading lies because a new version (precisely, the Xenoblade one) had become available. I tried fixing the D-pad as well, but with limited results. Good luck playing Tetris with that controller’s D- pad.

About D-pads… this one’s was a pain. I used it to do the challenges in NSMBU and it simply destroyed my left thumb. It’s ridiculous how hard it seems for most controllers to nail the D-pad’s positioning and size, especially Nintendo since they invented the thing and used to do it perfectly all the way to the DS.

Really? Isn't like a really custom part?
I replaced the Wii U gamepad screen, which is considerably more work than the joystick for like $15 if I remember correctly. Bought it off Amazon and it even came with the small screwdrivers to open up the pad.

If I remember correctly, the joysticks are on for the first things you'll see when disassembling a gamepad.

FeldMonster

I am an Xbox fan, and hate modern Nintendo, but I agree that this layout is superior for games that heavily use both sticks. Wish I could get an official Xbox controller in this layout for Halo/Destiny/TitanFall.

It makes no sense why they do.

41eBAqLCoVL.jpg

Then again, the perfect mouse was also created years ago but Apple continues to stubbornly make their own worse yet overpriced one.

I can't be the only one that while I liked the idea of 6 in front I hated the placement. Especially when playing Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold on Saturn and trying to hit all three buttons for a Level 3 super and having to angle my thumb downwards. Nintendo did the same thing with the updated top loading NES controller button layout.

daveonezero

Banned
Did anyone get this thing? My pro controller seems to be drifting it’s screwing up my Hades play and always aiming me to the lower right.

Not sure if I should replace the sticks or buy this or and 8bitdo.

On second thought replacing seems to require soldering something I’m not ready to get into yet.

So ya is this thing or the Switch Pro. In my mind I like HD rumble but not sure if I even notice it on the Switch Pro controller.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Drifting is so widespread these days. Nintendo controllers have it, Sony controllers have it as well, and even XBOX controllers are having it
These new analog sticks they use for controllers are fucking awful. last gen we didn't hear about this drifting issue. I beat the shit out of my Wii u gamepad and the sticks on those are still working as well as the day i first got them

Lasha

pro controllers don't drift anyways, right?

Any analog stick with mechanical parts will drift eventually. The sensors become dirty or worn from use. Joycon and vita drift is more apparent due to the type of analog stick used by the consoles. I have 3 PS5 controllers and two Xbox controllers in my queue waiting for new analog sticks due to drift. PS5 controllers are my most commonly repaired accessory lately. Second is still joycons with broken LR buttons.

Rickyiez

I bought this Gulikit , but it has an issue where it couldn't be turned off . Basically it powered back on immediately the moment it shut down , manually or automatically from idling . I guess QC is always an issue with these third party products .

Last edited:
Top Bottom