• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man: The Power Battle...or when series change genres successfully

VGEsoterica

Obviously no Mega Man game will be as loved as the mainline games / the X series, but damn if Mega Man: The Power Battle isn't, in my opinion at least, one of the best Mega Man games ever made. All it is is a fighting game / boss rush hybrid "greatest hits" compilation but it's one of the most action packed and entertaining games in the entire series. Between the awesome pared down action, the great CPS sprites and backgrounds and the soundtrack it's basically just pure distilled Mega Man fun from start to finish.

But of course because it's A) only on compilations and never got a release on consoles back when it was in arcades and b) is an offshoot game in technically a different genre...it doesn't get near as much love as it deserves.

Which got me thinking...what other series had a total genre shift that hit as big as the main line series? I am talking Mario Kart to Mario, or to a lesser degree CTR to Crash Bandicoot. Granted the kart racing genre feels a bit like cheating lol. Maybe a better example would be Fallout 3 becoming a first person light RPG compared to 1 and 2 being more turned based isometic games. Or same with RE 7 and 8 with first person and 4 with more action oriented run and gun gameplay (we can semi-ignore 5 and totally ignore 6 lol)

What else do you have for me GAF?

fart town usa

Gold Member
Castlevania: SOTN comes to mind

I'd say Resistance: Retribution on the PSP. It's a third-person cover based shooter instead of FPS and it is damn awesome. It's not only a great PSP game, but a great game by any standard.

Also, Killzone: Liberation, FPS turned into a isometric top down type shooter, with much slower gameplay. Great game and really inventive way to change up the gameplay.

Panzer Dragoon Saga, on rails shooter turned into an epic 4-disc JRPG on a system that shouldn't have been able to run the game. lol.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

I'd say Resistance: Retribution on the PSP. It's a third-person cover based shooter instead of FPS and it is damn awesome. It's not only a great PSP game, but a great game by any standard.

Also, Killzone: Liberation, FPS turned into a isometric top down type shooter, with much slower gameplay. Great game and really inventive way to change up the gameplay.

Panzer Dragoon Saga, on rails shooter turned into an epic 4-disc JRPG on a system that shouldn't have been able to run the game. lol.
Id be giddy if we got a AAA Killzone game in the Liberation style.

VGEsoterica

SotN is a great example because it literally changed the dynamic of the entire franchise moving forward too. We never really got "traditional" Castlevania games after that

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I'm always surprised at Mega Man's apparent lack of popularity. I thought it was one of gaming's golden franchises, alongside Mario, Metal Gear, Halo, etc.
The legacy. The successful evolutions. The loveable characters.

Bring back Mega Man.

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

I'm always surprised at Mega Man's apparent lack of popularity. I thought it was one of gaming's golden franchises, alongside Mario, Metal Gear, Halo, etc.
The legacy. The successful evolutions. The loveable characters.

Bring back Mega Man.
The thing is Mega Man does have a lot of fans out there. Capcom just seems to refuse to do much with the franchise. Legends 3 was cancelled. Sure we get a throw back 8 bit looking game now and again but otherwise not much

First thing that came to mind was the 3D Mario games. The jump to 3D from Mario World to Mario 64 was huge change that worked. Removing the linear level design and implementing bigger worlds you revisit and complete smaller tasks inside the worlds was a big risk but they pulled it off. On the opposite end, Mortal Kombat's jump to 3D didn't work out so well. Thank god they went back to 2D gameplay

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
that was an extremely weird pivot. I really enjoyed the game but I hope that was a one off
Like a Dragon is why I played the other Yakuza games that I had owned for years but never cracked open.

Going to start Judgement this weekend.

Also...the Warcraft Series. Going from RTS to MMO was a big ole' swerve!

VGEsoterica

Like a Dragon is why I played the other Yakuza games that I had owned for years but never cracked open.

Going to start Judgement this weekend.

Also...the Warcraft Series. Going from RTS to MMO was a big ole' swerve!
Check out Yakuza: Dead Souls too. It’s the zombie shooter offshoot. Dumb but lots of fun seeing zombies run through Kamurocho

Polelock

I would love a new Resistance, game was so good.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Not even the only time Mega Man successfully did this. Battle net was awesome.

ds-capcom-megaman-battle-6.jpg

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
???? They are still JRPG, they didn’t change genres.

Same thing here. I’m not really getting your point.
Monster hunter have the new game that is a RPG like Monster hunter stories 2. And many spin off of psp.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Those are spinoffs, you might as well count Dragon Quest warriors and Hyrule warriors as well. I think this thread talking about main games changing genres like Yakuza 7 did.
There is Yakuza Dead souls... And is a spin off too like the friend post.
Or Killzone liberation is a spin off too.

And there is accepted.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
We never really got "traditional" Castlevania games after that
we got Adventure Returns, which is technically a remake, but its so different (and so much better) that it might as well be considered a new game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom