• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Memories of Kenji Eno by Archipel

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

English subtitles are available under the "CC" menu.

Commemorating the 10th anniversary since Kenji Eno's sudden passing, we asked his colleagues, friends and family to reminisce on this unique creator.

Always one step ahead in the game industry, Kenji Eno is behind cult titles, such as "D" or "Enemy Zero", one-of-their-kind interactive movies, "Real Sound: Kaze no Regret", an innovative title in accessibility, or "D2" on the Dreamcast.

This documentary is an homage to his memory, work, and legacy.

Thanks to Hideo Kojima, Fumito Ueda, Pierre Taki, Tadanobu Asano, Kazutoshi Iida, Tetsuya Mizuguchi, Asako Noguchi, Hideto Yamada, Hiroko Minamoto, Kenichi Nishi, Yutaka Saito and Yuka Iino for their kind participation.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I pay these guys £10 a month through Patreon even though I rarely get around to watching the videos, they deserve a lot more for what they are doing, its awesome work.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I had D2 on Dreamcast. I'd be lying if I said it made a hugely positive impression on me. But I'm interested in checking this out and learning more about his career and games.

tommib

I had D2 on Dreamcast. I'd be lying if I said it made a hugely positive impression on me. But I'm interested in checking this out and learning more about his career and games.
D2 is really not Warp/Eno at his best.

It’s all about D and Enemy Zero. Watershed games for the time with absolutely legendary soundtracks and visuals. A true idiosyncratic auteur like, if I’m honest, we never saw again.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
D2 is really not Warp/Eno at his best.

It’s all about D and Enemy Zero. Watershed games for the time with absolutely legendary soundtracks and visuals. A true idiosyncratic auteur like, if I’m honest, we never saw again.
Very interesting. I saw the box for D a lot. Those giant PS1 boxes in NA. Never tried it.

MAGSQH5.jpg

PanzerCute

I played it when I was 13, in japanese, and damn that game left a mark on me. I absolutely loved it, and the ending was to my teenager self, very awe inspiring.

But yeah, now I know its not their best game, far from it. But I will forever love it for what it made me feel.

tommib

I played it when I was 13, in japanese, and damn that game left a mark on me. I absolutely loved it, and the ending was to my teenager self, very awe inspiring.

But yeah, now I know its not their best game, far from it. But I will forever love it for what it made me feel.
It’s all about the feelings with Eno. He was making the gamers see and hear things we just never did before in a video game.

A very specific mix of horror and melancholia, all with some super avantgarde elegance. Ueda is the closest we got to him after Eno stopped working and eventually died super young.

Drew1440

I had that but for PC.

You can get it on GOG for peanuts:

I played the original D recently via Steam, it works well but the DOSbox wrapper has scanlines turned on which degrades the cutscene quality. Thankfully it's possible to extract the game files into 86Box and play it the right way.
Yet to play Enemy Zero, from the description it sounds difficult to play with the invisible enemies, but the soundtrack is amazing.

tommib

I played the original D recently via Steam, it works well but the DOSbox wrapper has scanlines turned on which degrades the cutscene quality. Thankfully it's possible to extract the game files into 86Box and play it the right way.
Yet to play Enemy Zero, from the description it sounds difficult to play with the invisible enemies, but the soundtrack is amazing.
You have a sound device that plays a ringing tone that tells you if they’re in front or left/right of you. Also how close. It was very unnerving but manageable. I finished it back in 1998 in 3 days without sleeping. :)

Top Bottom