• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men with long hair: What's your haircare routine? I'm looking for something to keep my hair from looking frizzed out and poofy

Kev Kev

basically the question is in the title. I dunno how may hippies we got around here but my mane just gets poofed out (especially after i wash it, which makes sense bc i stripped it of oils). but how do i take care of it so it doesnt look like einstein? ive heard there are dry shampoos and argon/whatever oils you can use, ive heard that you should conditioner everyday, ive heard you have to brush everyday, ive read you can use after shower hair creams, leave in conditioner, sea salt spray (?), and on and on and on 🥵

thats too much. im a lazy dude, not a stylist. im just loooking for a simple routine. wash it a couple times a week, maybe use one or two products once or twice a week to keep it looking healthy and moisturized, but not have to go through all the salon bullshit

tips, tricks, advice, questions, comments, smart ass remarks?

nush

Gold Member
When I had long hair all I would do it was it with shampoo and conditioner just normal popular off the shelf brands, air dry it and then tie it back. I remember a few women even asking me how I got my hair to look so nice, I told them the same. What I really wanted to say was "Because I don't but a whole bunch of shit in my hair".

Kev Kev

When I had long hair all I would do it was it with shampoo and conditioner just normal popular off the shelf brands, air dry it and then tie it back. I remember a few women even asking me how I got my hair to look so nice, I told them the same. What I really wanted to say was "Because I don't but a whole bunch of shit in my hair".
man i wish my hair was like that. mine just gets dried out (not alot, but enough to make it unwieldy in a hair tie) and frizzy/poofy (again, not too crazy much, but enough that i feel like i need to use a leave in conditioner or something)

how often did you wash/condition? did you comb or brush ever?
Argan oil on damp hair after you shower.
i keep hearing about argon oil! can i get this anywhere like walmart or target? or do i need to amazon it? what brand did you use how often did you use it? did you have to wash it out after use or did you leave it in?

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member

Once a week, but I'd brush daily. It also helps to get the ends trimmed often to prevent split ends and help the natural oils get all through the hair. You forget how old the hair is at the ends.

Amory

I don't have any advice (I have short hair so I just put a bit of gel in it and stylize), but does anyone else remember the GAF megathread where people were going months or years without using shampoo and soap?

I think they'd just get in the shower and wipe the funk and dirt off with their hands and then get out and towel off

Kev Kev

I don't have any advice (I have short hair so I just put a bit of gel in it and stylize), but does anyone else remember the GAF megathread where people were going months or years without using shampoo and soap?

I think they'd just get in the shower and wipe the funk and dirt off with their hands and then get out and towel off
that is disgusting

but to each his own. some prefer the natural look (and smell lol). but for me. uuhhhh thats gonna be a no dog. i cant stand 4 days in and my hair has a faint smell of sweat. its not even that bad, but just knowing its there compells me to wash it.

EDIT: also, im just going to go ahead and assume those were the reeeeenobs, and now that they're gone i am going to assume the rest of you fuckers arent that gross.

Last edited:
I think it depends on your hair type!
if you just want it long, washing it would probably be enough! but if you want to style it then you need to use some products!
but you better go to the saloon and ask the barber, they can see your hair and tells you what's best methods to take care of it.

JordanN

Banned
I had an afro in my teens. The routine was to wash it, apply shampoo + conditioner, then use a hair dryer, then put oil and comb it with a special spray.

It was very tedious but I looked like a lion when I went outdoors. Doesn't get anymore chad than that.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
man i wish my hair was like that. mine just gets dried out (not alot, but enough to make it unwieldy in a hair tie) and frizzy/poofy (again, not too crazy much, but enough that i feel like i need to use a leave in conditioner or something)

i keep hearing about argon oil! can i get this anywhere like walmart or target? or do i need to amazon it? what brand did you use how often did you use it? did you have to wash it out after use or did you leave it in?
I'm currently using Sei Bella. You just run it through damp hair and then leave it in. It will give your hair a lot more 'body' so be aware of that. As for where to get it, I steal it off my wife so can't help you there.

intro-1565121694.jpg

van helsing ova hea

shampoo will anti frizz puff your shit

at least it would mine when i had long hair as a teen

women LOVE long hair

Dural

I think it depends on your hair type!
if you just want it long, washing it would probably be enough! but if you want to style it then you need to use some products!
but you better go to the saloon and ask the barber, they can see your hair and tells you what's best methods to take care of it.

It absolutely does, I have very greasy hair and if I go more than a day without washing my hair it looks wet. My wife has very dry hair and can go a week without washing it without it looking greasy. I have about shoulder length hair right now and wash it every morning, it'd look like shit otherwise.

Kev Kev

Shave it off. Long hair is very gay.
if you hate gay people then yeah sure i see why youd have a problem with that, but i dont

EDIT: edited out the insult. wouldnt want to stoop down to a homophobes level. and ignored the user. i dont have time for pieces of shit, bad jokes, trolls, etc

Last edited:

appaws

Banned
if you hate gay people then yeah sure i see why youd have a problem with that, but i dont

EDIT: edited out the insult. wouldnt want to stoop down to a homophobes level. and ignored the user. i dont have time for pieces of shit, bad jokes, trolls, etc

I’m sorry to shit up your thread. I don’t know if the OP can see this so I also sent a PM.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Lookin' pretty homeless right now my hair is naturally curly/wavy and its all over the place. Needed a haircut like a couple of weeks ago, but I'm always working and lazy on my days off. Probably will get one next week.

Helscream

Banned
basically the question is in the title. I dunno how may hippies we got around here but my mane just gets poofed out (especially after i wash it, which makes sense bc i stripped it of oils). but how do i take care of it so it doesnt look like einstein? ive heard there are dry shampoos and argon/whatever oils you can use, ive heard that you should conditioner everyday, ive heard you have to brush everyday, ive read you can use after shower hair creams, leave in conditioner, sea salt spray (?), and on and on and on 🥵

thats too much. im a lazy dude, not a stylist. im just loooking for a simple routine. wash it a couple times a week, maybe use one or two products once or twice a week to keep it looking healthy and moisturized, but not have to go through all the salon bullshit

tips, tricks, advice, questions, comments, smart ass remarks?

Been growing my hair out since I graduated high school. So going on 13 years now and my hair is about halfway down my backside. So I would like to think I can share some simple, yet effective advice that has atleast worked for me.

1.)I don't use shampoo/conditioner more than once every 48 hours. You go overkill on cleaning your hair/using chemicals it will stress out your mane, and you dont want that.

2.)One really simple change I made when bathing, is when you apply shampoo/conditioner you want to apply that stuff at the start and let it set in your hair for 5-10 minutes. Most people will apply shampoo/conditioner and then immediately wash it out, so you never allow that stuff enough time to do its job. Small changes like this go a long way IMO.

3.) I comb my hair out at most twice a day. Typically before work, and after work.

4.) About once every 6 months I'll get a blunt cut of 1/2 or 1 Inch to get rid of the split ends.

That is literally my routine for the last 13 years and it works for me. My mother was a platinum blonde, and my father was brown and both had thick hair. So maybe I got lucky with good genes, but I don't do no fancy gay salon bullshit. Its incredibly simple, but hopefully this provide a useful guideline for you in the future OP.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Been growing my hair out since I graduated high school. So going on 13 years now and my hair is about halfway down my backside. So I would like to think I can share some simple, yet effective advice that has atleast worked for me.

1.)I don't use shampoo/conditioner more than once every 48 hours. You go overkill on cleaning your hair/using chemicals it will stress out your mane, and you dont want that.

2.)One really simple change I made when bathing, is when you apply shampoo/conditioner you want to apply that stuff at the start and let it set in your hair for 5-10 minutes. Most people will apply shampoo/conditioner and then immediately wash it out, so you never allow that stuff enough time to do its job. Small changes like this go a long way IMO.

3.) I comb my hair out at most twice a day. Typically before work, and after work.

4.) About once every 6 months I'll get a blunt cut of 1/2 or 1 Inch to get rid of the split ends.

That is literally my routine for the last 13 years and it works for me. My mother was a platinum blonde, and my father was brown and both had thick hair. So maybe I got lucky with good genes, but I don't do no fancy gay salon bullshit. Its incredibly simple, but hopefully this provide a useful guideline for you in the future OP.
yeah this is awesome, thanks man

TaySan

Banned
I don't really do anything with my hair to be honest.
Shampoo/conditioner and all of that, but nothing special or anything. Never comb my hair either

Last edited:
Top Bottom