• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MENU MUSIC? Setting the mood. What's your favorite?

Jinzo Prime

Paper Mario TTYD . Spent hours on this screen as a kid:

Halo Menus. All of them:

Xenoblade:

Final Fantasy Prelude:

Killer Instinct, The Instinct. All versions. Forever the GOAT of fighting game menu themes:

Ristifer

Lance Hayes tracks from Forza Motorsport 3 and 4 are among my favorite menu tunes. I spent a couple thousand hours in the livery editors in those games with that music always playing. Never got sick of it.

I find that a lot of racing games have great menu music.

93xfan

Banned
Halo 1
Metal Gear Solid (PS1)
Final Fantasy 7
Mario 64
Duck Tales
Mega Man 2
Halo 3

Just to make a few

Last edited:

I really love DAO's as well, but not the menu theme from the OST, instead the more epic launcher music straight from the game files. I just had to play a bit everytime I heard it.
Mass Effect 2's menu music also didn't sound like anything special at the time, but I always liked how well the menu chimes fit with the menu music.

I know this is pause music and not main menu but still feel it needs to be here
All GTA IV trilogy games have great loading music. The others have nice intro themes too, 5 is probably the worst, though not bad.

DEHR I liked the intro (Icarus) way better.

Anything Streets Of Rage, specially the Remake intro

A live performance by Synt5

BlazBlue Calamity Trigger

Castlevania 64, the animation mostly.

Syberia Main Theme

Mafia: City Of Lost Haven

MAFIA Main Theme

Last edited:

YCoCg

Are we talking strictly main menu? If so then Sonic Mania deserves a mention

But if we're allowed to include sub menus then Streets of Rage 4 Unlockables Menu gets a shout

And so does the extremely underrated Tekken Tag Tournament 2 with it's Gallery Menu

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Several game soundtrack threads have popped up recently which is great! It's sparked memories of great gaming music so I've been listening to a lot of soundtracks at work!

Listening to these soundtracks got me thinking about great menu music. The first impression of a game comes from the menu... so the menu music plays an important role in setting the mood. Often times the menu music is the main theme for the game, which is another important facet of setting the ambience/mood for the game. I know, there are some exceptions to this... I think Red Dead 2 didn't really have a menu, it just starts right up into the game after loading (a more modern practice in gaming). Last of Us didn't have music, just ambience. Please discuss the "lack" of music as a mood setting tactic also.

Anywho... what are some of your favorite menu music? Try to just list 2 or 3 choices :)

Some of mine... off the top of my head in no particular order:
Battlefield Bad Company, 2008: man I remember the excitement and joy loading up Bad Company and hearing this great track. It was so catchy and really set the mood for the game!

LA Noire, 2011: I distinctly remember staying in the menu listening to this whole track the first time I booted up LA Noire. Simply incredible piece of music... paired with an unforgettable game.

Halo 3, 2007: Another game where I stayed in the menu listening to music before starting up the game... but this time I was with my brother. We sat in silence as we reminisced over the years playing Halo together. We both knew this was the game would be the end for Master Chief, so it was very bittersweet. Halo has been one of the most important and influential games in my life. Halo Combat Evolved was THE first game soundtrack I purchased and sparked my love for game soundtracks. Listening to this again now brings a tear to me eye.

DOOM 2016 FTW.

VN1X

Banned
Not sure if this was posted yet but this one really caught me off guard when I first loaded up the game. Just let it sit there and listened to the entire song hah.

oji-san

Banned
Like been mentioned Dragon's Dogma Into Free that was later replaced in the Dark Arisen ver. Was hanging on the menu to listen to it 3-4 times before playing.
I remember liking The Witcher 2 theme also.
God of War 3 was awesome even before launching the game, just be hovering on the game icon.
Edit: just checked and i meant the Pandora song in GoW3.

Last edited:
Top Bottom