• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mergers and Acquisitions |OT| Thread Merged

Acquisitions and mergers official topic

• Is this thread organic enough?

• The thread merging will lead to the collapse of the forums industry

• Anti-trust laws should prevent people from creating threads

• This gaming forum has not been bought out

• The monopolization of OTs is bad for gaming discussion

• Your post is in talks to be acquired by another forum

Results are only viewable after voting.

yurinka

Nice. Well, we already knew many months ago that Sony was working on more acquiitions and that they had a budget of $18B for acquisitions (not only for gaming) from last year to 2023 and that they only had spent $4B. Now with this they have $10B for more acquisitions, and this is if they don't raise that budget.

I'd have prefered Capcom (+Dimps), Sega and/or Kadokawa (or to buy them FromSoft). If they continue buying big let's hope they go in this way, but I don't think won't be the case. I think they'll go back to smaller acquisitions.

Last edited:

Gone

Banned
Jim Ryan on the Bungie acquisition

"Bungie’s successful track record in multi-format publishing and live game services will assist us in realizing our ambitions to take PlayStation beyond the console and increase our potential audience."

MrTentakel

Most of that is for shitty mobile games tbh. Outside of COD. They make most of their money from Mobile games.

1. Why can't they do both? Just because you can't do more than one thing at once doesn't mean it's not being worked on.
2. They already stated it's coming
3. Will never happen
4. Literally don't know what the fuck this means. xd
This acquisition does nothing for me. I don`t get anything new, exiting all I get is the "enjoyment" of limiting the fun of xbox owners.
Great!

Zeroing

Banned
Please someone hide my SEGA from the Sony, Nintendo and MS

need-coffee-shaking.gif
Nintendo is sleeping!

K' Dash

Sony is gonna chip away at the "smaller" companies in the puny 1-6 billion range.

Bungie, Konami, and Capcom are next to go and they are going to sony.

the Bethesda acquisition made a ton of sense. I hate the Activision purchase because other than COD there's NOTHING. I don't wanna hear about the blizzard stuff. Activision has nothing.

if Sony gets Capcom or square that's MASSIVE IPS. If I had the money I would have used the 70 billion on the smaller companies who actually produce ips

Sony should buy SE, maybe then we would see a decent game from them.

Lone Wolf

This just reaffirms my decision to spend the time and effort over holiday break to have a modded Wii and PSX and PS2 and Dreamcast hooked up to a CRT.

Because if this industry goes to shit i have probably 10,000 hours of games ready to go
My Polymega arrived today and I’m loading it up with all my games. Always good to have a retro outlet.

I dont get it. Two days ago you were saying that these acquisitions were not for the gamers, but news for the investors and now you look to be celebrating this.
What has changed?
Nothing. I still don't like acquisitions. But even worse is losing access to IPs that i enjoy. I've been lucky so far.

I just mentioned the IPs from SE and Capcom that are big and said they were more my thing that the ones from Activision and Bethesda even if they are worth less. That's all.

if I had to pick, I hope they buy Ubisoft or Capcom. Ubisoft has a lot of studios that could make different games.
Take-Two would cost a lot
I don't see Ubisoft going to Sony. I believe Ubisoft already has some sort of contract signed with MS for Game Pass similar how EA Play is part of Game Pass, same is happening with Ubisoft. If anything, they would go to MS.

Capcom is the only logical choice, both Japanese and have strong history, SF 5 was also funded by Sony.

Last edited:

Elios83

Nice. Well, we already knew many months ago that Sony was working on more acquiitions and that they had a budget of $18B for acquisitions (not only for gaming) from last year to 2023 and that they only had spent $4B. Now with this they have $10B for more acquisitions, and this is if they don't raise that budget.
That is an old business plan thought for a pre-consolidation era.
They have probably revised their plans and budgets accordingly.
Q&A during the financial results next wednesday will be interesting.

You're thinking too much about market value when it's more about what each one of us prefers in terms of IPs.

If Sony acquires Square-Enix + Capcom for like 15 / 20b and gets IPs like Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Deus Ex, Kingdom Hearts, Life Is Strange, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Street Fighter, Monster Hunter it would be the biggest 2 gets so far this year. But that's based on my tastes and not how much money each IP does or is worth, obviously.
Imagine if they get Castlevania, Silent Hill, Metal Gear, Contra, YuGiOh and Pro Evo...

Zeroing

Banned
Sony doesn’t go after big IPs, they are after talent

Housemarque - arcade games with space to evolve into AAA games

Insomniac - their talent to deliver good games at a lesser time

Etc…
All points that their next acquisitions will be studios they worked with or are working with…

Kamina

Golden Boy
On a scale of mild shock to full on insta-crap-in-pants; how surprised would you be if Sony managed to acquire Nintendo somehow?
Edit: answer with pictures showing your surprise levels

Last edited:
Sony doesn’t go after big IPs, they are after talent

Housemarque - arcade games with space to evolve into AAA games

Insomniac - their talent to deliver good games at a lesser time

Etc…
All points that their next acquisitions will be studios they worked with or are working with…

A 3.6 billion acquisition from Bungie sounds like a huge step up from the 230 million they paid for Insomniac in 2019.

They are also acquiring a lot of talent. Bungie has over 800 people. Firesprite has over 250. That's over a thousand people with these 2 alone.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Sony is gonna chip away at the "smaller" companies in the puny 1-6 billion range.

Bungie, Konami, and Capcom are next to go and they are going to sony.

the Bethesda acquisition made a ton of sense. I hate the Activision purchase because other than COD there's NOTHING. I don't wanna hear about the blizzard stuff. Activision has nothing.

if Sony gets Capcom or square that's MASSIVE IPS. If I had the money I would have used the 70 billion on the smaller companies who actually produce ips
I said this in the other thread, but paying $70 billion for cod wasnt about bringing more content to gamepass, it was about killing Playstation or putting gamepass on Playstation. MS couldve bought Square, Capcom, CD Project, Ubisoft, Take 2 for $70 billion and have all the content in the world but they wanted the game that could bring Sony to the bargaining table.

$19 billion is what Netflix spends on content every year. $12 billion on new content. These acqusiitions are about more than content. It's war.

Top Bottom