• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mergers and Acquisitions |OT| Thread Merged

Acquisitions and mergers official topic

• Is this thread organic enough?

• The thread merging will lead to the collapse of the forums industry

• Anti-trust laws should prevent people from creating threads

• This gaming forum has not been bought out

• The monopolization of OTs is bad for gaming discussion

• Your post is in talks to be acquired by another forum

Results are only viewable after voting.
Take 2 is worth more then the 18 - 19 billion sony has on hand. If you really knew how Rockstar had been run all these years ( like a mafia run business ), you wouldn't try to purchase them
It can be given in shares or they can take on debt.

But I dont see them buying TakeTwo, simply because like Ubisoft, they don’t want to be bought.
Vivendi was didn’t even ask they were just buying all their shares. TakeTwo buying Zynga makes it more difficult. That being said Two-two spend 4 Billion in cash, and the rest were shares for Zynga. They both have about the same Marketshare I believe. Sony can easily offer 10 billion in cash and the rest in shares.

Though I see them buying Sega from SammySega instead.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Jim Ryan on the Bungie acquisition

"Bungie’s successful track record in multi-format publishing and live game services will assist us in realizing our ambitions to take PlayStation beyond the console and increase our potential audience."
Fuck me, PlayStation console business is over……these guys are over it. It’s gonna be PC and even multi platform publishing like MS with Minecraft.

JimRyanGOAT

A 3.6 billion acquisition from Bungie sounds like a huge step up from the 230 million they paid for Insomniac in 2019.

They are also acquiring a lot of talent. Bungie has over 800 people. Firesprite has over 250. That's over a thousand people with these 2 alone.
I don’t remember which studio it was , but it had a lot of talent from the team that made destiny

Their working on a Sony MP game

Bungie could work with them

dotnotbot

They fell off

All the talent left after Witcher 3

From Software is a solid choice

And maybe Dan housers new studio

Kojima for sure even though he wants to stay independent

I know, I'm just kidding. Dan's new studio sounds great, I've been thinking about that. FS is with Kadokawa and someone said Sony might have trouble acquiring them after Crunchyroll but don't know if it makes any sense (plus FS also seems to like independence).

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
On a scale of mild shock to full on insta-crap-in-pants; how surprised would you be if Sony managed to acquire Nintendo somehow?

Probably impossible for two blue chip competitors to merge like that in the small Japanese market. It would surprise everybody for sure.

I'd be less surprised if Nintendo stepped into the M&A headline circus world we all live in, and took Sega Sammy or Capcom off the game board.

Melchiah

Sony acquired the Evo Tournament last year. I think the next buys will be Namco Bandai plus one of: Capcom, Kojima Productions, Square Enix, From Software.

Namco Bandai would be an interesting acquisition in relation to From Software, since they've published most of their games. Buy them, skip XB platform (where it likely sells less) , no need to buy From for exclusivity.

JLB

Banned
Most of that is for shitty mobile games tbh. Outside of COD. They make most of their money from Mobile games.

1. Why can't they do both? Just because you can't do more than one thing at once doesn't mean it's not being worked on.
2. They already stated it's coming
3. Will never happen
4. Literally don't know what the fuck this means. xd

I dont think Bethesda is mostly "shitty mobile games". Or Acti for the case.

M16

The deal was in the works for the past 5/6 months. Its not a reaction to the Take-Two/Zynga or Microsoft/Activision deals.

BS. people in the industry talk. sony heard about MS talking to activision and started working on a counter ( or the other way around)

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
BS. people in the industry talk. sony heard about MS talking to activision and started working on a counter ( or the other way around)

Nah, I dont buy it. This was probably in the works by Sony before they knew a thing about MS acquisition spree.

yurinka

Well of course, industry is consolidating. MS is probably working on something right now.
As I remember MS, Sony, Tencent and Embracer mentioned that they will continue acquiring. Not sure if EA and Take 2 also said it, but I think pretty likely will be the case.

Seeing they'll keep Bungie as a separate publisher independent from PS Studios and being multiplatfom for current and future games, seems that they acquired them only to make they don't lose them by getting acquired by someone else like MS. Plus maybe to use Destiny and future IPs for movies and tv shows, and maybe to share knowledge, tools and insights with PS Studios.

Last edited:

Fret Runner

Square-Enix would be my bet.
FF14 to compete with wow and a solid list of rpg's (and Crystal Dynamics and Eidos) to compete with the Bethesda side of things. they also dabble in Manga which could be spun to fit Sonys current Anime buying binge.
Wouldn't surprise me if they are also thinking of Kadokawa, like many people have also said, cause that would mix with Sonys current anime venture.
Capcom seems like it's happy in its own lane.
I think that Arcs System rumour from a while back will come true to cover the fighting game ground.
Konami would be a fruitless endeavour, I feel. MGS is basically a hollow shell without Kojima and he has moved on and Silent Hill, while it pains me to admit, has more than enough attempts to prove itself outside of the Team Silent shadow and has failed to do so everythime

Just a know nothing Arm-chair opinion lol
Personally, I'm not thrilled about all this buying shit up but the writing is on the wall at this point and that's just where we are heading. So time to bite the pillow and accept that I'd rather PS/MS/Nin buy these devs up before *shudders* Facebook/Meta or Google butt their asses in and yoink up everything. although, the thought of Facebook or Google owning the Ubisoft circus would be a hilarious disaster to watch.

Ohhhh no consolidation and monopoly this is bad bad Sony am I doing this right? All kidding aside good move keep buying and bolstering the portfolio. I still don’t understand the money spent here for bungie to still remain multi platform.

NoviDon

Namco Bandai would be an interesting acquisition in relation to From Software, since they've published most of their games. Buy them, skip XB platform (where it likely sells less) , no need to buy From for exclusivity.
you don't think From would just find a new publishing partner? I would think it would be wise to buy From because they are consistently creating very high content with an insanely loyal fanbase and steadily growing.

I think Japanese studios won't be bought, by either. But, my money is on EA or Take-Two, if there is another purchase to be made.

Melchiah

you don't think From would just find a new publishing partner? I would think it would be wise to buy From because they are consistently creating very high content with an insanely loyal fanbase and steadily growing.
Agreed, it would be best to buy them, but that's probably the next best option.

NoviDon

Capcom currently worth over 5 billion, so 6.5 to 7 to acquire? how much do you need to put on the top to get board members to flinch?

blacktout

Why is there always so much speculation about Japanese companies on threads like this? I get the appeal of fantasizing about acquisitions like that, but so far the feeding frenzy has been focused on American companies.

Add to that Sony's shift towards western audiences, and we should probably be talking more about EA, Take Two, et al. and less about Capcom and Square.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Yea, they could get Activision to publish another game for them.

SLB1904

Banned
dave-chappelle-rick-james.gif

Zeroing

Banned
A 3.6 billion acquisition from Bungie sounds like a huge step up from the 230 million they paid for Insomniac in 2019.

They are also acquiring a lot of talent. Bungie has over 800 people. Firesprite has over 250. That's over a thousand people with these 2 alone.
yeah and all PlayStation studios share tech, ideas etc. it is a huge step but like I said definitely not for the IP catalog!

kevm3

I'm getting to the point of feeling like all the manufacturers are moving beyond the concept of 'consoles'. Consoles now are almost like a branded PC. These companies want to put their games on more platforms for more money. In their mind, software is where the gold is.

Wouldn't be surprised if Sony is spinning up their own 'meta verse' with PS Home 2.

They clearly overpaid here, but had no choice.

That being said Bungie is far more successful than Insomniac and gives them portfolio diversity.

As you said much larger studio than Insomniac, but also a lot more established. Insomniac really hurt themselves with a few failures and Resistance wasn't crazy successful either. I think Insomniac's goal is going to be a studio just as large as Bungie someday.

kevm3

For Sony, I'd go Capcom or Square Enix in terms of Ips. From Software is another option. If they just want to 'shock the world', Take Two

NoviDon

Why is there always so much speculation about Japanese companies on threads like this? I get the appeal of fantasizing about acquisitions like that, but so far the feeding frenzy has been focused on American companies.

Add to that Sony's shift towards western audiences, and we should probably be talking more about EA, Take Two, et al. and less about Capcom and Square.
Because Capcom is killing it with their franchises printing money like resident evil, street fighter, DMC and monster hunter, they are AAA ip that are popular worldwide, and Capcom in particular has alot of unused franchises that are still loved today so the financial return potential with a corporation that will fund and guide them properly could be great.

"I've been on record talking about increasing the size of the PlayStation community, and expanding beyond our historic console heartland. This can take many forms. And definitely one of the main ones is the ability for the wonderful games that we've been making over the past 25 years to be enjoyed in different places and played in different ways. We are starting to go multiplatform, you've seen that. We have an aggressive road map with live services. And the opportunity to work with, and particularly learn from, the brilliant and talented people from Bungie... that is going to considerably accelerate the journey we find ourselves on."

Ryan adds: "The way people play games has changed a lot over the last few years. We have created some wonderful properties over the course of the last 25 years, with characters that people love and resonate the world over. Offering the opportunity to enjoy those experiences in a completely different way is something that we are very excited about. I can't go into details today, but we have a really amazing roadmap on how to do that.
Holy shit...Spartacus is truly coming!

The $3.6 billion deal is the latest in a string of multi-billion dollar acquisitions that have happened in games this month alone, following the Take-Two's proposed buy-out of Zynga, and the news that Microsoft is acquiring Activision Blizzard. However, Ryan says that the Bungie acquisition isn't a response to these deals.

"These conversations have been a number of months in gestation, and certainly pre-date the activity that we have seen this year. From our perspective, this is really doing what we feel is right for PlayStation, and what we feel is the right thing to do to drive PlayStation to places we've never been before."

About future acquisitions...he's even more confident than what i wrote in that OP actually:

The deal is a significant buy from PlayStation. Sony is not a small organisation, but it doesn't have pockets as deep as some of its competitors. Nevertheless, Ryan says the firm is not done in this area.

"We should absolutely expect more," he concludes. "We are by no means done. With PlayStation, we have a long way to go.
I will personally be spending a lot of my time with Pete and the team at Bungie, helping make sure that everything beds down right and that autonomy means autonomy. But elsewhere in the organisation, we have many more moves to make."
Source

Sounds like Ryan will personally be busy with Bungie...but there's a lot of people at Playstation working on other acquisitions. He literally said the same thing in 3 different ways, lmao.

Corrik

As soon as Sony buys something significant, Microsoft has the cover to buy even more. For all the talk about Microsofts acquisition of Activision being antitrust, the more the market leader (Sony gets) the more cover Microsoft has for more expansion.

yurinka

As soon as Sony buys something significant, Microsoft has the cover to buy even more. For all the talk about Microsofts acquisition of Activision being antitrust, the more the market leader (Sony gets) the more cover Microsoft has for more expansion.

According to the OP (not sure what is the source of the tweet) they have been working on this acquisition during 5-6 months, and according to the WSJ MS started the ABK acquisition back in December, a month after Spencer decided to 'reevaluate' their relationship with ABK.

So the Bungie acquisition has been in the works for a longer period of time than the ABK one. If some of them is a reaction to the other one (I think it isn't the case), MS would be the one reacting.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Good god, the next two years is gonna be a nightmare.

The worst acquisition for me was Bethesda so far, but I can say that I still can live(kind of) without them.

But if someone touches the companies I like...

God, I gotta get richer faster so that I can own all consoles and have a nuke-powered pc...

At the end of the day acquisitions, sprees like these don't bode well for the industry. I prefer more options than choosing between A, B, or C. Imagine the day we only can choose between Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, and Tencent (of course it's not happening). Nightmarish stuff.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
According to the OP (not sure what is the source of the tweet) they have been working on this acquisition during 5-6 months, and according to the WSJ MS started the ABK acquisition back in December, a month after Spencer decided to 'reevaluate' their relationship with ABK.

So the Bungie acquisition has been in the works for a longer period of time than the ABK one. If some of them is a reaction to the other one (I think it isn't the case), MS would be the one reacting.
Do you really think a 70 billion dollar only took one month to get made? To reach a concenssus on a price, to get people interest, to check if the deal wont be blocked due to legal reasons, etc.

As far as PR talk goes, they will tell you only what is legally necessary, not what actually happened. The Activision and Blizzard deal must have been in the works for at least 6 months.

NoviDon

At the end of the day acquisitions, sprees like these don't bode well for the industry. I prefer more options than choosing between A, B, or C. Imagine the day we only can choose between Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, and Tencent (of course it's not happening). Nightmarish stuff.
what do you mean by that? only choose between them?

NEbeast

Its likely cause Sony also wishes to move to GAAS and subscription services.
If they for example made it so you could get free access to Destiny 2 and all its expansions for 'free' if you subscribe to PS+, that would give them a huge boost.
That's actually a great point. People are really downplaying how big Destiny is, it's a big money maker with a very healthy player base.

yurinka

The owner of From Software is Kadokawa, not Namco Bandai. Kadokawa made a deal with Sony to help them reach a global audience and gave Sony 2% of their company for that help.

From Software self published games and got many games published by Sony, Namco Bandai, Activision and other ones, plus many people like ASCII, Sega, 505 or Ubisoft did publish their games on western markets. From owns IPs like Sekiro, Tenchu, King's Field or Armored Core. Sony owns Bloodborne and I assume (I'm not sure) Namco Bandai owns Dark Souls and Elder Ring.

I don’t remember which studio it was , but it had a lot of talent from the team that made destiny

Their working on a Sony MP game

Bungie could work with them
The team was Firewalk, a new studio who has former Destiny, Halo, Apex Legends staff and is making a 2nd party new IP for Sony.

Many of them left Bungie to create this studio, so not sure in Bungie and them will want to work together, but it would be a good idea to help each other if needed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom