• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mergers and Acquisitions |OT| Thread Merged

Acquisitions and mergers official topic

• Is this thread organic enough?

• The thread merging will lead to the collapse of the forums industry

• Anti-trust laws should prevent people from creating threads

• This gaming forum has not been bought out

• The monopolization of OTs is bad for gaming discussion

• Your post is in talks to be acquired by another forum

Results are only viewable after voting.
Let’s try to keep all rumored requisition posts/threads here, please. Confirmed requisitions and mergers are fine to have their own threads.

I think it's time to focus discussion on this neverending ride in a thread since we're being flooded with this kind of topics. Since MS opened the pandora's box with Bethesda's acquisition and blew everything up with ActiBlizz purchase, we're now seeing the gaming industry taken by storm.

This thread is to share news about the matter, share your opinion on acquisitions/mergers, predict new possible company purchases, talk rumors, discuss possible new games and game development at acquired companies, platforms, etc.

CJ40mVQ.png

These are the latest (and biggest) gaming acquisitions that happened in the last years, from previous gen up to today's topic creation date Feb. 1st, 2022.

Acquisitions with deal value of at least USD$1 billion​

Acquisitions with deal value of at least USD$100 million​

nvKL2mC.png

These are the big companies that could swallow up other companies, be them big enough to surpass the 2 billion digits in price, or more independant studios. These "Big boys" are in a run to secure their own spot in the gaming industry and take their portion from the pie. VR, streaming, subscriptions, new platforms, new ways of playing, you name it. The gaming industry has grown to be the biggest money maker in the entertainment industry (and in this forum we know nothing about pron). How the next 10 years will look depends on what these big companies want to do in this run.
In this list we only take into account companies that already showed an interest in gaming, either to keep up in the business, aswell as to enter in the game.

yujCrfz.png

E6ZlSxa.png

It's a saying of course. But for the right amount of money we know most of these are, literally, "up for grabs". These companies are the most prominent to be acquired by the "big boys". This is because these have a good amount of studios that can develope videogames and/or have a good amount of known and well stablished IPs.

iMty999.png

Of course there are many more independant studios, and some may be harder to grab than others due to price or other nuances (American-Japanese mergers).

gW1QRpz.png
I think it's time to focus discussion on this neverending ride in a thread since we're being flooded with this kind of topics. Since MS opened the pandora's box with Bethesda's acquisition and blew everything up with ActiBlizz purchase, we're now seeing the gaming industry taken by storm.

This thread is to share news about the matter, share your opinion on acquisitions/mergers, predict new possible company purchases, talk rumors, discuss possible new games and game development at acquired companies, platforms, etc.

CJ40mVQ.png

These are the latest (and biggest) gaming acquisitions that happened in the last years, from previous gen up to today's topic creation date Feb. 1st, 2022.

Acquisitions with deal value of at least USD$1 billion​

Acquisitions with deal value of at least USD$100 million​

nvKL2mC.png

These are the big companies that could swallow up other companies, be them big enough to surpass the 2 billion digits in price, or more independant studios. These "Big boys" are in a run to secure their own spot in the gaming industry and take their portion from the pie. VR, streaming, subscriptions, new platforms, new ways of playing, you name it. The gaming industry has grown to be the biggest money maker in the entertainment industry (and in this forum we know nothing about pron). How the next 10 years will look depends on what these big companies want to do in this run.

In this list we only take into account companies that already showed an interest in gaming, either to keep up in the business, aswell as to enter in the game.

yujCrfz.png

E6ZlSxa.png

It's a saying of course. But for the right amount of mone

Like it or not, this is just the beginning. (That's the reason this thread exists, duh) Also, the people in charge of these ride are not backing nor putting the foot off the accelerator.

So, let's see how this evolves and how this thread and your predictions look down the road in a few years.

Poor no money Sony isn't done...and sounds like something is happening soon apparently.

This industry is giving me a heart attack this year. If i vanish, you know why.

edit: The article where that comes from:

The deal is a significant buy from PlayStation. Sony is not a small organisation, but it doesn't have pockets as deep as some of its competitors. Nevertheless, Ryan says the firm is not done in this area.

"We should absolutely expect more," he concludes. "We are by no means done. With PlayStation, we have a long way to go.
I will personally be spending a lot of my time with Pete and the team at Bungie, helping make sure that everything beds down right and that autonomy means autonomy. But elsewhere in the organisation, we have many more moves to make."
Source

Last edited by a moderator:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Well of course, industry is consolidating. MS is probably working on something right now.

Before its all said and done, I expect Ubisoft, Capcom and SE to be part of either MS or Sony.

I think this should go to antitrust... /s

3.6b vs 75b, calm down OP lol.
You're thinking too much about market value when it's more about what each one of us prefers in terms of IPs.

If Sony acquires Square-Enix + Capcom for like 15 / 20b and gets IPs like Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Deus Ex, Kingdom Hearts, Life Is Strange, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Street Fighter, Monster Hunter it would be the biggest 2 gets so far this year. But that's based on my tastes and not how much money each IP does or is worth, obviously.

jm89

Konami really? Yeah they have good IPS but your getting a massive ballache with needing to acquire the non gaming buisness.

Better to just cut a exclusive deal with them on making their IPS, alot less riskier.

Foilz

Banned
Sony is gonna chip away at the "smaller" companies in the puny 1-6 billion range.

Bungie, Konami, and Capcom are next to go and they are going to sony.

the Bethesda acquisition made a ton of sense. I hate the Activision purchase because other than COD there's NOTHING. I don't wanna hear about the blizzard stuff. Activision has nothing.

if Sony gets Capcom or square that's MASSIVE IPS. If I had the money I would have used the 70 billion on the smaller companies who actually produce ips

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
Can this shit stop? I was so happy, and it was so good for the hobby, that the times where you had to have seven consoles to be able to play every new game out there ended at the end of the 1990s. I don't even know on how many games people missed out because of it. Now it's going back to exactly that... I hope PC will see most of the games now. I'm not buying a new console.

Last edited:

Aenima

Just aquire Konami IPs. Not Konami, they have no talented studios anymore. Square Enix and Capcom would be the best gets for me. Or even something like Falcom that does great jrpgs but they are stuck with outdated game engines. Sony already did a small investment in Kadokawa they could also just go all in.

Stay away from Ubitrash. Ubi can shove they games and they NFT plans in a place where the sun dont shine.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Those acquisitions were probably already in place last year.
And remember not all Devs and publisher's are up for sale, I doubt Ubi, EA and Bandi Namco are.
For all we know MS probably looked into the smaller purchases to only find out Sony already got there and had to go 68bil route Activision for Call of Duty.
Sony and MS's next purchase will be telling.

iHaunter

I think this should go to antitrust... /s

3.6b vs 75b, calm down OP lol.
Most of that is for shitty mobile games tbh. Outside of COD. They make most of their money from Mobile games.

Sony has spare money?

Instead of pullig a Microsoft, how about:

-Improve the PS+ games (no more Gearbox demos!)
-Where is my VRR?
-Roll back the price hike to 70USD/80€
-Free PS5 upgrades for PS4 games
1. Why can't they do both? Just because you can't do more than one thing at once doesn't mean it's not being worked on.
2. They already stated it's coming
3. Will never happen
4. Literally don't know what the fuck this means. xd

Last edited:

Aenima

Can this shit stop? I was so happy, and it was so good for the hobby, that the times where you had to have seven consoles to be able to play every new game out there ended at the end of the 1990s. I don't even know on how many games people missed out because of it. Now it's going back to exactly that... I hope PC will see most of the games now. I'm not buying a new console.
I totaly agree. I was more than happy to see more and more IPs becoming multiplatform. But you can thank Microsoft for carving the path for the future of videogames.

JLB

Banned
You're thinking too much about market value when it's more about what each one of us prefers in terms of IPs.

If Sony acquires Square-Enix + Capcom for like 15 / 20b and gets IPs like Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Deus Ex, Kingdom Hearts, Life Is Strange, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Street Fighter, Monster Hunter it would be the biggest 2 gets so far this year. But that's based on my tastes and not how much money each IP does or is worth, obviously.
I dont get it. Two days ago you were saying that these acquisitions were not for the gamers, but news for the investors and now you look to be celebrating this.
What has changed?

Top Bottom