• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Merlin (2008 TV series)

merlin.jpg

Noticed this was on Netflix. I'm a sucker for fantasy-adventure and also enjoy Arthurian legend stuff.

To my surprise, this show is pretty damn amazing. It has a bit of a slow start, but once they get the story going it really becomes something special.

I'm still fairly early in the show but I can confidently recommend this show to anyone who is a fan of the genre.

There is something super chill and relaxing about the show too, kinda like what Star Trek TNG does for me.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
merlin.jpg

Noticed this was on Netflix. I'm a sucker for fantasy-adventure and also enjoy Arthurian legend stuff.

To my surprise, this show is pretty damn amazing. It has a bit of a slow start, but once they get the story going it really becomes something special.

I'm still fairly early in the show but I can confidently recommend this show to anyone who is a fan of genre.

There is something super chill and relaxing about the show too, kinda like what Star Trek TNG does for me.
If you want a treat, you should check out the 1998 Merlin TV mini series with Sam Neill.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I absolutely adore this series. The first season is indeed a bit of a slog, but it gets a lot better after that.

I watched these as they aired on the BBC, but I imagine it still holds up really well.

Patrick S.

Banned
Morgana was so freaking hot!!!

I was watching the series a few months ago, and man, it's kinda awful. Super low production values, the action scenes are incredibly bad, every fight looks like it had a budget of ten bucks. Off camera resolution of fights, super annoying cuts, three seconds later you're supposed to feel something, another two seconds and we cut to a different scene. The Hercules and Xena series are a thousand levels above this.

Star-Lord

I was watching the series a few months ago, and man, it's kinda awful. Super low production values, the action scenes are incredibly bad, every fight looks like it had a budget of ten bucks.
It did feel that the budget for this show was whatever was left over after filming Doctor Who. I’d be quite keen to see HBO’s more adult take on the tale of Arthur and Merlin.

It gets a great deal better. The Arthur/Merlin friendship was well played. Got quite dark later on also.

I thought the uncle was the best actor in it. He was superb.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Most shows that was made before mid 2010's were good

Tams

Better than Wheel of Time, even taking into account the effect of Covid on production.

Making Merlin, they knew from the very start that it was YA, and didn't try to be all serious and proper all the time.

Last edited:

lillars

Who else is old enough to remember the 1998 mini-series with Sam Neill as the titular character? I remember watching that live back then and really enjoying it. I'm not sure if it holds up now, though. I need to try and find it.

Top Bottom