• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

Tschumi

I preordered GTA trilogy. What a waste of money.
Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF

God speed. I’ve joked that my PS5 is basically a PS4 @ 60FPS machine, but to be honest, playing PS4 games @ 60 is pretty dope
That'll most likely by my use for it at the beginning. Still got a pretty big library. If I can play them better? Awesome.

The first game I'm buying is going to be Demon's Souls. This was basically me watching people with a PS5 having fun:

Screen_Shot_2017-11-10_at_10.36.15_AM.png

Soodanim

I was just hoping for a little bit more, though I shouldn’t have expected anything less from the team at Rockstar. They don’t have a great track record when it comes to porting/remastering games. I guess I had fond memories of Vice City and San Andreas that, looking back, may have been tainted by rose-tinted glasses.
I did the majority of all 3 games about a year ago (PC, improvement mods) and they’re all still great. The odd bit of jank here and there is to be expected given that they pioneered a lot of this shit, and I deserve a medal in real life for getting golds in SA’s vehicle training schools, but I enjoy them all as much as I did when they first came out. Definitely more than 4 and 5.

I barely noticed returning characters from 4 in 5, because I didn’t care about any of them enough to remember. The trilogy was 3 games that stood alone because of their unique worlds and strong characters, but they all tied together well. SA served as a sequel and prequel depending on which character it was, and you know exactly who everyone is and where they’re coming from or going to.

Tschumi

I sadly played GTA: The Trilogy, so no. I would take a week in the office during a financial crisis than play through that again.
I'll be honest, a couple of days ago i introduced a poll about Rockstar Games that started off saying they've yet to mess up, i feel like this was their Warcraft Reforged moment and it sucks...

We've got examples of what good rereleases of old games should look like. Age of empires 2, shadow of the Colossus.. I'm not saying the same was strictly necessary, but some degree of effort would have been nice.

For me this is more about Rockstar's high standards disappearing than the games being bad, which they're obviously not

Last edited:

Soodanim

I'll be honest, a couple of days ago i introduced a poll about Rockstar Games that started off saying they've yet to mess up, i feel like this was their Warcraft Reforged moment and it sucks...

We've got examples of what good rereleases of old games should look like. Age of empires 2, shadow of the Colossus.. I'm not saying the same was strictly necessary, but some degree of effort would have been nice.

For me this is more about Rockstar's high standards disappearing than the games being bad, which they're obviously not
I think there’s that extra layer of disappointment because these are highlights of a generation (console and human) and they fucked a lot of people’s one opportunity at a remaster. There’s the chance that they try to save face because of just how bad the release has been, but the only way to do that is to fix it and it’s about whether or not Rockstar are willing to divert money and resources to what they assumed would be a minimal cost aide project. Shareholders don’t give a shit about the quality of the product if it means less less profit.

Last edited:

Tschumi

My mother in law was just gossiping to me.

Apparently there was recently a big sales day for singles in China (these big sales days got big after i left, i guess Nush knows) and apparently the naked truth is that most of the shoppers weren't singles, they were grandparents, and they were all buying Japanese adult diapers.

And apparently this is because they're all very rich. So they can afford the good stuff.

Just a little insight into the insane mind of this woman lol, a lake of bullshit, a truckload of nationalism, and a pinch of innuendo about, what, new money? And all underneath a generous layer cake of passive aggression.

So good my wife and i agree she's batshit crazy lol

Star-Lord

I did the majority of all 3 games about a year ago (PC, improvement mods) and they’re all still great. The odd bit of jank here and there is to be expected given that they pioneered a lot of this shit, and I deserve a medal in real life for getting golds in SA’s vehicle training schools, but I enjoy them all as much as I did when they first came out. Definitely more than 4 and 5.

I barely noticed returning characters from 4 in 5, because I didn’t care about any of them enough to remember. The trilogy was 3 games that stood alone because of their unique worlds and strong characters, but they all tied together well. SA served as a sequel and prequel depending on which character it was, and you know exactly who everyone is and where they’re coming from or going to.
I thought IV was brilliant, V was playable, and Online is a hot mess. The original trilogy stands out as my favourites in the series, but this ‘remaster’ has ruined some fond memories.

Hours searching the forests of San Fierro for Bigfoot, breaking into Area 69 to steal the jet pack, climbing up Mt Chiliad. All of it had that charm back then because of the graphical style. All that has been torn to hell by Grove Street Games. Rockstar should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this.

BigBooper

Apparently there was recently a big sales day for singles in China (these big sales days got big after i left, i guess Nush knows) and apparently the naked truth is that most of the shoppers weren't singles, they were grandparents, and they were all buying Japanese adult diapers.

And apparently this is because they're all very rich. So they can afford the good stuff.

Just a little insight into the insane mind of this woman lol, a lake of bullshit, a truckload of nationalism, and a pinch of innuendo about, what, new money? And all underneath a generous layer cake of passive aggression.

Lol at adult diapers being the good stuff.

BigBooper

I thought IV was brilliant, V was playable, and Online is a hot mess. The original trilogy stands out as my favourites in the series, but this ‘remaster’ has ruined some fond memories.

Hours searching the forests of San Fierro for Bigfoot, breaking into Area 69 to steal the jet pack, climbing up Mt Chiliad. All of it had that charm back then because of the graphical style. All that has been torn to hell by Grove Street Games. Rockstar should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this.
I agree. I liked 4 a lot, but 5 never really made a connection with me. It was ok.

I'm very glad to own the original versions. I was looking forward to this trilogy remake, but I haven't touched it yet so I know I don't have to bother.

Star-Lord

I agree. I liked 4 a lot, but 5 never really made a connection with me. It was ok.

I'm very glad to own the original versions. I was looking forward to this trilogy remake, but I haven't touched it yet so I know I don't have to bother.
IV doesn’t get as much love as it deserves, often associated with that stupid cousin/bowling meme. It had an interesting story, character development, and the city felt so alive. If Rockstar did a proper remake (read: not remaster), I’d buy it in a heartbeat.

nush

Gold Member

It's true to a point and then she went down the adult diaper conspiracy route.

11 11 is singles day in China, all the ones in the date. It's like Valentine's Day for incels, the hopeless and the unfuckable. But in recent years it's now become a Chinese Black Friday where you get crazy sales online. My neighbour got a huge American style fridge this week. I'm going to get her old one, even though it's not old at all,. It's still better that the one I have.
One year I got a 55" 4K TV for under £200 brand new. It's a wild sale but they manufacture stuff to sell just for that date. It's such a popular sale that it can now take up to a week for stuff to be delivered becuse it overwhelms all the courier services.

I doubt old grandparents are shopping online, they seem to struggle even using Wechat Pay at the checkouts.

Soodanim

IV doesn’t get as much love as it deserves, often associated with that stupid cousin/bowling meme. It had an interesting story, character development, and the city felt so alive. If Rockstar did a proper remake (read: not remaster), I’d buy it in a heartbeat.
I finished it, but found it generally slow and floaty. It was Rockstar's first step away from arcadey fun towards what we have now, which I think lost what made GTA so good. I would replay it on PC and see what I think now, but I need to get around Rockstar's insistence on their shitty update that brought in a shitty patch that broke things and uses their shitty launcher.

Star-Lord

I finished it, but found it generally slow and floaty. It was Rockstar's first step away from arcadey fun towards what we have now, which I think lost what made GTA so good. I would replay it on PC and see what I think now, but I need to get around Rockstar's insistence on their shitty update that brought in a shitty patch that broke things and uses their shitty launcher.
If you are going to replay IV on PC, I highly recommend watching this first.

Yeah, there’s a lot of mods, but they only add to the gameplay and graphics, and make it worth it. I installed all the mods features, and it’s like a whole new game. IV was already awesome, but this takes it to new levels.

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
218977-grand-theft-auto-iv-episodes-from-liberty-city-windows-front-cover.jpg

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
It's true to a point and then she went down the adult diaper conspiracy route.

11 11 is singles day in China, all the ones in the date. It's like Valentine's Day for incels, the hopeless and the unfuckable. But in recent years it's now become a Chinese Black Friday where you get crazy sales online. My neighbour got a huge American style fridge this week. I'm going to get her old one, even though it's not old at all,. It's still better that the one I have.
One year I got a 55" 4K TV for under £200 brand new. It's a wild sale but they manufacture stuff to sell just for that date. It's such a popular sale that it can now take up to a week for stuff to be delivered becuse it overwhelms all the courier services.

I doubt old grandparents are shopping online, they seem to struggle even using Wechat Pay at the checkouts.
Are you ploughing this woman

Soodanim

If you are going to replay IV on PC, I highly recommend watching this first.

Yeah, there’s a lot of mods, but they only add to the gameplay and graphics, and make it worth it. I installed all the mods features, and it’s like a whole new game. IV was already awesome, but this takes it to new levels.

I’m currently updating my Skyrim mod list of about 300 mods, 50 would be a blessing of simplicity lately 😅

4 seems to have a small but dedicated crowd. My main memories weren’t the memey “cousin” stuff, but driving slowly round a corner in a police car and it tipping. The physics never quite sat right with me.

Maybe I’ll wait until everyone is playing GTA 5R/6 and play the DLC for 4. I heard they aren’t bad

Top Bottom