• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Nope. I loved Green Wing back in the day tho. IT Crowd was stellar too.
The IT Crowd is one of my favorite shows ever. But it also feels like a documentary of my life sometimes.

Also shout out to one of my fav British comedies of the 80s - The Young Ones. I still laugh every time I watch this clip:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Thaedolus

So I finally got around to seeing what was in this big Christmas box the attorney in the office next to me left for me over the break…it was 4 packs X 18 cookies I can only describe as…thicc mints. Jesus Christ, I immediately
put three of them way down in the deep freeze. I had one cookie out of the one I kept out and I think I gained 4 pounds. Then I had another.

Tschumi

Dropping deadpan comedic replies IRL and having it land is the greatest of British humor. Takes skill and confidence that the target will get it, if they don't laugh at them being a thick fuck.
I dunno about your corner of Asia but I'm dry to a fault and fully 90% of my jokes just come off sounding like I'm a callous bastard here lol

"I'm sure if you were driving you would do a better job of parking, Tschumi"
"You have yet to see real parking."
"..."

"It's -3° outside don't go out in shorts and a t-shirt!"
"Where are my flip flops?'
"..."

nush

Gold Member
I dunno about your corner of Asia but I'm dry to a fault and fully 90% of my jokes just come off sounding like I'm a callous bastard here lol

"..."

"..."

You have to adjust the humor to local sensibilities. What's the phase I hear? "You are so humor-full person" over-emoting helps too. "You are Bean!" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

"..."

"..."
Are you saying these jokes in English or in Japanese?

Tschumi

Are you saying these jokes in English or in Japanese?
English, but my in-laws are fluent English speakers, they're the ones i try this on with. Credit to my wife she's on my level; she'd have to be wouldn't she :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Edit: it's a cultural thing, they love my puns but they call them "oji gyagu" "grand dad gag"

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
English, but my in-laws are fluent English speakers, they're the ones i try this on with. Credit to my wife she's on my level; she'd have to be wouldn't she :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Edit: it's a cultural thing, they love my puns but they call them "oji gyagu" "grand dad gag"

Yes it definitely is cultural. They are fluent in English, but getting jokes like that involve more than just knowing grammar vocabulary and syntax.

Attempting jokes on targets who wouldn't understand because of language/cultural barriers is a futile endeavor, IMO. Build up your relationship with them on a primarily straightforward approach. I doubt their English or cultural understanding will improve enough for them to understand your jokes. The more realistic option is for you to study Japanese humor and construct some simple jokes that you can spring on them either in their language or in a context that they would find humorous.

Tschumi

Yes it definitely is cultural. They are fluent in English, but getting jokes like that involve more than just knowing grammar vocabulary and syntax.

Attempting jokes on targets who wouldn't understand because of language/cultural barriers is a futile endeavor, IMO. Build up your relationship with them on a primarily straightforward approach. I doubt their English or cultural understanding will improve enough for them to understand your jokes. The more realistic option is for you to study Japanese humor and construct some simple jokes that you can spring on them either in their language or in a context that they would find humorous.
I appreciate your message and your intention to help :) believe me i would never try this stuff on Japanese people I'm not already friends with through more effective social means.

They think I'm very funny because of my rich stocks of oji gyagu, they just don't pick up on the dryer stuff

A couple of times (new year's eve in-laws rant) i think you've kind of tried to suggest that i try to modulate my behaviours to better suit the host culture.. i just want to make it clear that i totally agree with your points, but you don't quite have access to the full story of my relationship with these people and it's a bit more nuanced than "pig headed expat wants to defeat local obstacles with battering ram of rudeness".. believe me I'm totally against that mode. Most expats who do that do it because they came overseas after they had already developed their values in their home cultures, and can't let go...

I used to get a bit of poop on here for once mentioning my dad's job when i was growing up, but I've lived in foreign cultures since i was 5 years old and operating comfortably in, and with, those cultures is second nature to me.. part of the reason I'm immune to nationalism or cultural scapegoating.. anyway

My relationship with my in-laws is different. They were pretty awful parents to my wife (I'm talking about things that should have had her taken away from them) and it's hard not to let contempt for that bleed through. Especially when they have the balls to try and limit her self determination with parental edicts when she's in her 30s and incredible. They live pretty far away and the upshot is our interactions, when they happen, tend to have a small chance - often comfortably avoided - of degrading into sniping. Once every four or five months maybe. It's these vignettes of stereotypical angst and the warm-spots less far along the conflict scale that i relate here in a light hearted manner.

Sorry for the wall of text, TL;DR - I hear you, ty, but I have a different problem to cultural insensitivity

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
So we're implementing a new ExpressRoute for Azure. This means we basically have to change all of our WAN connections as we would if we were standing up entirely new Azure connections.

Sucks this can't be a millisecond change over. Going to be busy, busy, busy this weekend.

They decided to move this change up. Guess who's having routing issues to numerous apps / environments now hosted on Azure?

Should have been better tested and there should have been checks run immediately following the change over but hey no one listens to me, one of the guys they all frantically call when their shit inevitably fails. Sigh.

So many of these middle managers and directors didn't heed the warning that this was basically akin to standing up new segments of networks spread across the entire nation and needed more care and time but oh well. I have the day off on scheduled vacation and will be handing this off soon. Thank goodness it doesn't seem to be affecting any critical apps yet.

Top Bottom