• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta is making their Battle Royale game 'Population One" Free to Play on March 9th.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/2/28/23617828/meta-population-one-vr-battle-royale-bigbox-free-to-play
Population: One, Meta’s VR battle royale shooter it acquired in 2021, is becoming a free-to-play game, developers BigBox VR announced on Tuesday. The title currently starts at $30 on the Quest Store, but you’ll be able to play it for free starting March 9th.
Population: One first launched in October 2020, and it’s proven to be a popular title, with a more than four-star average score from an excess of 11,000 ratings on the Quest Store. (It’s also available on Steam, where it has more than 2,000 reviews.) But in going free-to-play, Meta seems to be making a push for the game to attract a much wider audience than it already has. It worked for PUBG: Battlegrounds, after all.
And if Population: One really blows up after moving to free-to-play, Meta won’t just have a big battle royale hit on its hands. Thanks to the game’s recently added sandbox mode, it has some metaverse-y aspects as well, and maybe it will prove to be more popular than the struggling Horizon Worlds.

People who already own Population: One and log in before 1PM ET on March 9th will get a bundle of in-game items, including a banana outfit. (It’s no Peely from Fortnite, but what is?)

Population One, a favorite game on the Quest store and Steam, will soon be changing it's gameplay design to free to play.

While I agree that this change may help the game reach larger audiences and sell more, I don't agree with the verge it's going to take off like PUBG. VR markets active headsets who would play that game isn't that big, and being bigger than Beat Saber has been an unachievable goal so far from everyone in VR, including Quest itself.

But I've seen many people who are interested in this game, so free to play may help quite a bit. I've seen the game mentioned on these forums as a favorite too.

If you log-in on March 9th before one they are apparently going to give you free items which is a plus.

Top Bottom