• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta leaks its AR/VR four-year plan before Apple can beat them (New info on Quest 3, 2 VR headsets releasing in 2023)

Sakura

That's all well and good for them but the problem is this is Facebook.

Ain't touching anything by them. Fuck them.

If I ever buy a headset it'll be an Apple one just because they aren't Facebook.

Apples headset is rumoured to have a battery on your waist. Not sure if it's the main battery or an additional one.

You can also swap the battery out on your waist. So I imagine the headset will have a small battery at least. You'll probably need to carry spare batteries with you lol.
We really need new battery tech.

Crayon

The ventura one seems okay if it's branded quest 2. Q2 slim or something. If they call it the meta sidekick or some dumb shit then idk.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Meta is not going to win against the richest company in the world with the largest mindshare. EVERYONE wants an apple. EVERYONE will get an apple VR headset even if it's not a practical device. they made millions selling fucking watches dude, tiny watches with cramped screens

Yep, 8 billion people are gonna buy a $3,000 VR headset.

I personally don't want anything Apple, except for the MBP I use for work. I would never get an iPhone for example, I hate iOS in a lot of ways. So that's already not EVERYONE.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Anything saying quest 3 will be pc compatible? Sounds like I'm in on that bad boy. Unless psvr2 gets a pc patch.

Ozriel

M$FT
Anything saying quest 3 will be pc compatible? Sounds like I'm in on that bad boy. Unless psvr2 gets a pc patch.

Of course it will be PC compatible.

Meta is not going to win against the richest company in the world with the largest mindshare. EVERYONE wants an apple. EVERYONE will get an apple VR headset even if it's not a practical device. they made millions selling fucking watches dude, tiny watches with cramped screens

Apple Watch costs $399, with some versions even cheaper.

That’s a whole other game entirely than putting down $2000+ for an AR headset.
People buy things from Apple based on perceived value. Their HomePod flopped because people wanted Bluetooth.

mckmas8808

Banned
The ventura one seems okay if it's branded quest 2. Q2 slim or something. If they call it the meta sidekick or some dumb shit then idk.

The problem Ventura is going to have is price. How much will they sale a Q2 Slim for? Can FB really afford a $300 VR headset nowadays?

Ozriel

M$FT
The problem Ventura is going to have is price. How much will they sale a Q2 Slim for? Can FB really afford a $300 VR headset nowadays?

maybe the same chipset in a Quest 3, but without the pancake lens and some other goodies to cut the price down.

Quest 3 likely lands at $450 or $500. They could make a $100 - $150 cheaper version…though likely still loss making on hardware.

It’d be a big mistake if they went the Series S approach.

mckmas8808

Banned
maybe the same chipset in a Quest 3, but without the pancake lens and some other goodies to cut the price down.

Quest 3 likely lands at $450 or $500. They could make a $100 - $150 cheaper version…though likely still loss making on hardware.

It’d be a big mistake if they went the Series S approach.

What would you consider the Series S approach?

Crayon

Actually, yeah. They finally had to give I'm a raise the price of the 2 so idk how this one is supposed to be that much cheaper.

And I also don't get how they are supposed to move 3rd parties on to quest 3 development.

Oh 40 some odd games at lunch, huh? That sounds familiar....

Why is everyone treating Apple like Thanos?

Because VR market hasn't taken off the last several years as people though, and Apples been sitting studying on the site for years, so at this point they probably have all the data they need for demographics, what they want, and want to avoid, and leaks are showing unique ambitious things and motion waggle with no controllers which many sites laughed at when reported, until the later data from two data outlets came out showing many interested, or would be interested in VR, didn't want controllers.

Everyone basically wants to rush to beat them and see who can take the pie before Apple comes into the kitchen because everyone suspects they have everything ready and know what to do from the start.

Now whether that's true or not is uncertain, but companies are reacting anyway. Which again, helps Apple because these companies reacting will make mistakes, or moves that may look like they may work but won't reach many people, so Apple can change strategy accordingly.

Basically the fear of Apple is helping Apple, and these companies don't realize it. They may actually help Apple take off.

mckmas8808

Banned
Because VR market hasn't taken off the last several years as people though, and Apples been sitting studying on the site for years, so at this point they probably have all the data they need for demographics, what they want, and want to avoid, and leaks are showing unique ambitious things and motion waggle with no controllers which many sites laughed at when reported, until the later data from two data outlets came out showing many interested, or would be interested in VR, didn't want controllers.

Everyone basically wants to rush to beat them and see who can take the pie before Apple comes into the kitchen because everyone suspects they have everything ready and know what to do from the start.

Now whether that's true or not is uncertain, but companies are reacting anyway. Which again, helps Apple because these companies reacting will make mistakes, or moves that may look like they may work but won't reach many people, so Apple can change strategy accordingly.

Basically the fear of Apple is helping Apple, and these companies don't realize it. They may actually help Apple take off.

Except none of this matters if Apple can't solve the problems that these other companies are running into. There's nothing in particular that makes Apple better than the other great companies on Earth at being first. To me Apple does is best job when other companies come out with a successful product that's doing well, but then Apple can come in and do it even better than what we thought was good in the first place. I'm starting to have my doubts that Apple will release their headset within the next 2 years. Maybe in 2025 I don't know.

Top Bottom